You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Can we have a REAL unit/building/stuff editor?
posted 03-29-05 02:11 PM EDT (US)   
In Warcraft III, you had a unit/building editor that let you do everything. Furthermore, it had some nice features:
  • The changes you made applied to the scenario only, whereas mods usually affect the whole game. If you wanted to use it in other scenarios, you could export it, of course.
  • You could freely add or remove units, buildings, doodads, etc. instead of replacing existing ones.
  • When a unit was created, you could select it from a list with all the other units, as if it was a unit that came with the game and editor.
  • It required no scripting knowledge or even trigger skills whatsoever.

A few examples of what you could do in Warcraft III or AoE 3 with an editor like that

• You want a unit or building to have a new weapon. In Age of Empires II you can't. In Empire Earth you need to make an invisible unit or two trail it and fire so that it looks like it's the visible unit that fires. In Warcraft III, you open the unit editor, make a duplicate of the unit, and give the duplicate the weapon you want it to have. Then you can place the duplicate unit like any other unit (find it on the unit list, select it, place it on the map). For example, you can make a crossbowman fire flaming arrows or an outpost throw rocks.

• Let's say you want a building to work in a different way. For example, you want to make a scenario where a certain house in the city works as a hideout/recruitment site for an underground militia. So in-game, you make an allied AI town and put one player-controlled house in it (your hideout). Problem is, you want the house to recruit militiamen like the barracks recruits military units (which it of course doesn't). You can simulate this in AoK and EE both (by deducting gold and food when you click on the house and then create a militiaman next to it), but in Warcraft III you can simply go into the editor and have houses recruit militiamen as if they were Barracks.

• You want to have a large ship or tower in a scenario. Enter the editor, set graphic size and collision size to 1,5, and use it. That simple.

• Let's say that you want to make an RPG where your small party uses a fishing boat they find moored to the riverside to cross the river. In Age of Empires II you... can't. In EE and Empires, you can... After many hours of trigger-work. In Warcraft III, you enter the editor and give the Fishing boat 6 passenger spots.

• Let's say you want a hospital ship that healed nearby units. No problem. Pick, say, a transport boat, copy it, rename the copy to "Hospital ship", change its description, and give it the "Heal" ability. Then go to the Dock and add "Hospital ship" to "Units Produced". The Dock now produces the Hospital ship.

• Let's say you want a certain catapult to pack/unpack. Go ahead, takes five minutes to alter (if packing/unpacking was in WC3, that is).

• Let's say you want infantry or workers to construct siege machines on the spot, like Chinese infantry in Empires. No problem, just go to the worker in the editor and add a catapult to "Units Produced". The worker can now build a catapult like he can build buildings.

• Finally, let's say you want a Native tribe to be playable. No problem. Get into the editor and make it playable (make certain tents train certain units, give each a cost and description, make a worker that built Native structures, and so on until you were satisfied). I once made a whole civ from scratch in Warcraft III... in no time at all.

See what I'm getting at?

Shots, drag to address bar
    http://www.geocities.com/midgardeagle/UnitEditor1.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/midgardeagle/UnitEditor2.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/midgardeagle/UnitEditor3.jpg

See all the things you can do?

So please, ES, give us a "real" unit editor in AoE 3.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie

[This message has been edited by Midgard Eagle (edited 04-27-2005 @ 08:08 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 03-29-05 02:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
    Although a refinement in scenario editing would be nice, I don't think ES are going to make editors for the units and buildings themselves. What I think you're suggesting is that perhaps you could choose the garments your villagers wear etc.

If that's the case, it would be rather pointless to have - just a waste of time and effort (yet it adds to this Realism).

He came... he saw... he conquered
    http://www.aoe3.ne1.net - Age3 Fansite
    http://www.aoc.clan.ac - AoC Fansite

There is a hero within all of us!

posted 03-29-05 03:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  

Quote:

What I think you're suggesting is that perhaps you could choose the garments your villagers wear etc.

Nope. Look at the screenshots, read my examples.

posted 03-29-05 03:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
    The Warcraft 3 unit/building/everything editor was indeed very good - with a little tinkering around you could easily create new units (even if they were only variants on the existing ones). I'd be quite happy to see something along those lines in AoE3, but not at the expense of the less complex 'Change Object Name' style effects.
    posted 03-29-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
    I remember creating a fantasy civ all the way from the bottom up using the editor!

I had floating, cloaked mages who threw fire balls, soldiers that set up barricades, and other soldiers who could build garrisonable igloos to protect themselves from the elements.

But I agree, Mechstra, there need to be triggers, too. Changing units around in-game is just as important - or more - than setting them up before-hand.

posted 03-29-05 05:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  

Good topic, bud!

In AoM, a Unit Editor was supposedly planned, but it apparently didn't make its way into the final version (or didn't make the final cut), as its menu can be seen in the Editor, but it was "grayed out."

It was a big disappointment for many scenario designing fans, such as myself, especially when the developers didn't seem to put their focus into getting this feature (or other editing features) in Titan's Editor, which I (and most likely many designers) bought it solely for.

Let us hope that it will be done right in AoE3.

posted 03-29-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  

Quote:

You want to have a large tower in a scenario. Enter the editor, set graphic size and collision size to 1,5, and use it.

This would be an excellent addition. I am not very fond of having guess and improvise with impassible tiles.

A unit editor like this would be nice, but it would be essential that most of the major modifications be applicable via triggers. If the Empires trigger system was being utilized for AoE3 I would make the unit editor another tab like the camera editor. This way unit modifications could be easily applied, and designers could still perform all sorts of tricks using the trigger system.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 03-29-2005 @ 06:03 PM).]

posted 03-29-05 06:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
    theres no need for triggers if oyu really crazee-just make a new unit with the stats u want.

everything done and said,theres no way ensemble could ever hope to make a game as good as warcraft3 not gona happan to bad the actual gameplay in war3 is kinda weak

posted 03-29-05 06:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  

Quote:

There's no need for triggers if you really crazee - just make a new unit with the stats you want.

Yes, actually there is, as you might want to change attributes during a mission.

For examples, in Empires there's a scenario where you have Yi Sun-Sin (a Korean commander), a Japanese prisoner of war, a Korean soldier, and a Buddhist monk. They are aptly named, but then you get to a stream that can only be crossed by a ferry that holds only two people at a time. Problem is, the Japanese soldier wants to kill the monk and the Korean soldier wants to execute the Japanese. Yi keeps them from doing so, and hence the puzzle is to get the whole party across the stream without bloodshed (which means the Japanese can't be left alone with the Korean, nor with the Monk, without Yi also being present).

Two to three attribute change change here (I don't know if the last one counts):

• The speed of the ferry is reduced to 0 if it's unmanned.
  • The names of the characters become "Japanese who wants to kill the monk", "Peaceful monk", and "Soldier who wants to kill the Japanese".
  • Their names are shown as banners over their heads (OK, that doesn't really count as an attribute change, but what the Heck).

Another example is a scenario I made for Empires, set in the Viking Age in Norway. You're to chop down a tree, but first you need to get your axe sharpened. Before you get your axe sharpened, you can't chop down the tree.

One attribute changes:

• Your attack is set to 0 until you get the axe sharpened so that you can't "kill" the tree for resources.
    PS: I'll get back to working on it when my PC's fixed.

My final example is from the US Campaign in Empires. In the final mission of the campaign, your forces are low on fuel and need to capture fuel-carrying trucks to keep your tanks from running out. Once a truck is captured, fuel is added (measured by a variable and shown in the corner of the screen), but it's slowly used up and whenever it reaches zero, your whole force of trucks and tanks stop.

One attribute changes:

• Speed is reduced to zero whenever the player runs out of fuel (and restored when he gets more fuel).

So as you can see, it can be very important to be able to change attributes in-game, far from the start of the scenario.

Midgard Eagle
    Designer, Woad Creations

[This message has been edited by Midgard Eagle (edited 03-29-2005 @ 06:31 PM).]

• posted 03-29-05 06:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  

Quote:

theres no need for triggers if oyu really crazee -just make a new unit with the stats u want.

you just wasted a whole paragraph trying to argue a point noone challanged :P

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 03-29-2005 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 03-29-05 10:54 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
    I think they just need to make the editor more 'RPG friendly'. The sad thing is, when they made aoe2, they didnt really have RPG's in mind. It would be great if they could give us options for character 'growth'. What I mean is, they should let us choose how much HP, Attack, Defense,speed, attack speed, etc... is increased/decreased per kill(s). Maybe let us display a list of the character's inventory. And, I would like to say that they should make character editing its own tab because the less we have to rely on triggers (like change object name/HP/ and attack) the less chance of error. Triggers leave a lot of room for error. I..forget what I was getting at because I have ADD . I'll come back later if I can remember.

King Kong is my hero...
    posted 03-29-05 11:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
    Considering the game is already sized up and ready to be finished I doubt they'll make any drastic changes like adding this. We've had the same editor type forever as well.

I'd like it a lot though, something like this would've zapped life into AoM mapping.

posted 03-30-05 00:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
    agreed, ES you really need to make this new editor for the game more user freindly than the last. This unit editor could be a good step. Easier than the old AOM way(what a pain). We realize that you dont want to copy warcraft 3, but sometimes you gotta be the follower. Editors and sc designers are what keep the game alive through the ages

They are like FREE designers that make the game better. Make our lives easier and please make it more user friendly

"God is on the side with the best artillery."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte
    ^^^^lol that guy is heroic and beastly
    posted 04-01-05 03:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
    A good idea, but since the game's already in production it probably won't be added.
    posted 04-01-05 05:41 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
    Gimmie what the title post said, and the Age of Kings editor (with the Object has Target trigger fixed and an area option on Change Name trigger) and I'll be happy as a pig in...

Silk
    Spore | Whisper | Girl Genius
    Alvays remember: any plan where hyu lose hyu hat iz a BAD PLAN.
    OMGWTFBBQ
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Can we have a REAL unit/building/stuff editor?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames