You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Protective walls to walk on?
posted 04-11-05 11:36 AM EDT (US)   
Heyho,
as I just read on a fanpage, an australian magazine published a preview on AoE 3 with some new pics, on which you can see infantry standing on walls and maybe fighting enemies from there ... what do you think, will there be such a feature, like it was, e.g., in Anno 1503? I would like it I think, liked in Anno 1503 too.

Or is there maybe someone here from australia who has got that magazine? I would really like to see those pics ...

Replies:
posted 05-26-05 11:13 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Sorry for reviving this, but is there any new information on that matter?

In this screenshot units are obviously standing on the walls, but are those walls only scenario objects or can they be built ingame?

And can they be destroyed? What if a unit stands on them, will it fall down and die?

So many questions... I'm interested in your opinions .

posted 05-26-05 12:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
I REALLY hope so, that was something I felt AOK really lacked.. I want to be able to place cannons on top of my walls for clear shots at infantry, or put archers/musketeers on it to fire at approaching calvary. It'd make for sweet battles. Not to mention, it'd LOOK AWESOME when a cannon blows your wall, you'd have wall chunks, soldiers falling everywhere

posted 05-26-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
I fully agree .

Question is, can enemy units 'use' the walls or are they neutral and don't belong to anyone? Who controls the gates?

It seems not so easy... But it'd be awesome if they included it, especially with their physics:

Quote:

Not to mention, it'd LOOK AWESOME when a cannon blows your wall, you'd have wall chunks, soldiers falling everywhere

posted 05-26-05 01:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
I would love to have my soldiers fighting from the top of walls / casltes.

Give them advantage for fighting from higher ground.

posted 05-26-05 02:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  

Quoted from AoMPlayer000:

are those walls only scenario objects or can they be built ingame?

That is a part of the 'fort' building, and it can be built in-game. Those units are not really standing on the walls, they are a part of the fort model (although I expect them to move around! ).

Until I see some other shots of units on walls (which there have been none to date), I would assume that units cannot stand on walls. I hope someone proves me wrong with some new screens!

"Its never the things that happen to us that upset us, its our view of them." -Epictetus
Dual GeForce 256MB 6800 GT over SLI PCI Express x8...aaaaw yeah.
My ESO2 Stats | Screenshot Archive

[This message has been edited by Steel_Cat (edited 05-26-2005 @ 02:21 PM).]

posted 05-26-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
A-ha. Hmhm. Disappointing and cool at the same time...
posted 05-26-05 03:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
Would be cool but looks 100% eye candy and not in an actual game.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 05-27-05 01:38 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  

Quote:

That is a part of the 'fort' building, and it can be built in-game. Those units are not really standing on the walls, they are a part of the fort model (although I expect them to move around! ).

Until I see some other shots of units on walls (which there have been none to date), I would assume that units cannot stand on walls. I hope someone proves me wrong with some new screens!

I'll bite. That's probably a reasonable explaination. Actually that's pretty cool. Just like Castles had some sort of Attack in the previous 'Age' games, this would make sense that these were "permanent" Soldiers of the fort (Guard duty... yuck!), who would fire on an enemy when approached, but not leave their posts. It certainly makes for a much more exciting Graphic than just arrows flying from walls!

Olympian Staff @ ESAC
*** Fortune for a quarter... I LOVE quarters! ***
*** Give me a quarter, I'll tell you your fortune ***

[This message has been edited by NobleKain (edited 05-27-2005 @ 02:28 PM).]

posted 05-28-05 10:58 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
yep, would be great to have something like this(Hint Hint ES).
This could greatly improve the variety of strategies that could be developed. But, IMO it is just part of the fort building, i agree with u guys 100%.
posted 05-28-05 04:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
walking on walls will help out the defending team so much by giving cannon fire to boats and troops can snipe the infrantry whil the cavarly charge.
posted 05-28-05 11:46 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
I seem to remember reading somewhere, where they stated that no walking on walls would be in the game...
posted 05-29-05 02:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
@NoxMortus: I certainly hope that wouldn't be the case, because it would be extremly disappointing hearing all these technical improvements AoE3 will have, yet units couldn't walk on walls, considering that much older games already had these features. These games include Strong Hold and BFME.
posted 05-29-05 07:33 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
go look through the screenshots youll see peeps walkin on walls
posted 05-29-05 07:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
I hope, if this is just the 3d model for fortresses (what'd be cool) they'll make it possible to garrison new soldiers in the building which then patrol on the walls too, and vice versa; that you could ungarrison them as well.
posted 05-29-05 11:50 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
i just hope designing the forts isnt to hard
posted 05-29-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
AHHHH, *Dreams*. Wouldnt it be wondeRfull if enemy guys tried to attack your little soldiers on the wall. They might have to walk up little stairs then be bashed back by my swordspeople or be shot down the stairs by a musketeer. Imagine if you shot a guy down the stairs and he knocked down all the other soldiers climbing up. Just like dominoes

•°•°•ÇHË€§É ϧ GØÕЕ°•°•
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Protective walls to walk on?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames