General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Petition to Include the Swedes in AoE3
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 05-13-05 08:59 AM EDT (US)   
This is an ‘official’ petition to Ensemble Studios to add the Swedes as a ninth civilization in AOE3. Please do not use this thread as an argument against this idea or to post in favor of other civs – add your post/name to the petition only if you agree with this idea. Simply adding your name will be a vote in favor of this idea, and if you have additional arguments/rationalizations in favor of adding the Swedes, feel free to add them in your post.

(Disclaimer: I am not Swedish or of Swedish descent)

Reasons to include the Swedes:

1.The Swedes actually settled in North America during colonial times, settling ‘New Sweden’ in the Delaware Valley area.
2.The Danes, who at one point during this era were part of Sweden, had colonies in Greenland and the Virgin Islands.
3.The Swedes were a true power in Europe during this era.
4.The Swedes were known for military innovation during this era.
5.The Swedish architecture will differ enough from that of the rest of Europe to justify inclusion (given as a reason to include the Ottomans).
6.I am sure that ES already has some usable ideas for the Swedes. If they get stuck, we could help them come up with some more.
7.The Swedes would NOT be a good choice for an Xpack (assuming that the Xpack might include colonizing other areas of the world and therefore be able to include Asian civs) – the Swedes did their colonizing in this initial New World era in competition with the Dutch, English, etc.
8.There is no logical reason that the number of civ choices has to be limited to 8.
9.We need a ‘descendent’ of the AOK Vikings and AOM Norse to feel like this is really an ES game!
10.Some culture needs to be physiologically & mentally able to compete with the Russians in settling north central North America!
11.Stockholm would make a nice looking Home City.

I will edit to add more good reasons to this post as they are brought to my attention.

Please add your name to this petition if you agree!

RF_Gandalf

Replies:
posted 05-13-05 09:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 55  
No.

It's too late in development to add a whole new civ.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
posted 05-13-05 09:04 AM EDT (US)     2 / 55  
No.
And most of your reasons are lame.

posted 05-13-05 09:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 55  
No.

By all means put them in the addon, but really, its somewhat late to add another nation in.

...Not to mention it would mean that AOE3 would take longer to be released due to the fact they need to balance all the nations again, just for the sake of Sweden.

Quote:

9. We need a ‘descendent’ of the AOK Vikings and AOM Norse to feel like this is really an ES game!

...I was going to comment on that 'reason', by i'm going to hold myself.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
posted 05-13-05 09:35 AM EDT (US)     4 / 55  
I don't think it would be possible but I would appreciate it
posted 05-13-05 09:36 AM EDT (US)     5 / 55  

Quote:

9. We need a ‘descendent’ of the AOK Vikings and AOM Norse to feel like this is really an ES game!

so AoE isn't an ES game? or, as few AoK civs descended from AoE, and fewer AoM civs from AoK, only AoE was a real ES game?

Bah.
posted 05-13-05 12:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 55  
I say yes to sweden.

From a historical standpoint norsemen were the first Europeans known to have colonized the new world. I'm talking back as far as Eric the red and Lief Ericson. We have archological eveidence for this. We have the "mythological" story of Quetzalcoatl who was described in human incarnation has having lite eyes, lite skin and a red beard.

I see no reason why more civ's cannot be added to the game as it seems that the game will not really be released untill christmas. They could add a couple more civ's if they wanted to. Carefully constructed new civ's could be added wihtout throwing off the balance of the game. Simply don't make anything about the new civ so overwhelming.

To the OP. You should have started a poll on this instead of a thread. That seems to be what this has become instead of a petiontion.

posted 05-13-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 55  
It will be in the expansion

(or at least I hope so)

(___ScepterAtl___)
)_Knight C. Duke_(
posted 05-13-05 01:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 55  
Sorry, but no

See reasons in other forummer posts.

★★★★★
posted 05-13-05 02:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 55  
looks like petition wont make it.

i say no too.

1. takes time
2. other civs should then be in too
3. takes more time
4. i wouldnt add anything to the game

posted 05-13-05 02:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 55  
Nope, it's too late. Forget about it now.

Way too far in development. To even think of the Swedes means waiting another year longer beyond it's current set release date.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 05-13-2005 @ 02:34 PM).]

posted 05-13-05 03:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 55  
No. There's no chance of this happening, not matter how much I want the Swedes in.
posted 05-13-05 03:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 55  
Yes. And I actually don't believe it would push the release date one bit.
posted 05-13-05 03:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 55  
Sorry Gandalf it won't work...

(A hopeless YES)

posted 05-13-05 04:13 PM EDT (US)     14 / 55  

Quote:

Yes. And I actually don't believe it would push the release date one bit.

That alright, you're just stupid.

posted 05-13-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 55  

Quote:

couldnt tell it better

posted 05-13-05 04:29 PM EDT (US)     16 / 55  
No way in hell would they add additonial civs this late in the production of the game.
posted 05-13-05 04:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 55  
I really would like the Swedes in the game but Gandalf I think were gonna have to wait for the expansion pack, (hopefully).

posted 05-13-05 04:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 55  
As others said, it's too late, so discussing this matter is of little use.
posted 05-13-05 05:09 PM EDT (US)     19 / 55  

Quoted from RF_Gandalf:

8. There is no logical reason that the number of civ choices has to be limited to 8.

Actually, ES has already stated that there are fewer civs so that there would be greater diversity among them.

And I too vote no.

posted 05-13-05 05:14 PM EDT (US)     20 / 55  
no, no, and no.
posted 05-13-05 06:05 PM EDT (US)     21 / 55  
No

Read Sweden's history during this time, they were never a naval power and had enough problems with Russia and Finland back at home.

Here's a picture of Sweden (yellow country) in 1814.

Norway had a non-aggresive relation to Sweden at the time, but it had been a forced one and the mood was not a happy one. Also Denmark there was not an enemy of Sweden but were not good neighbors either after been forced to ceded land to Sweden as a result of Napolean. Russia was always a bother to Sweden and had already had a few wars with them. The Swedes had their hands full already without the colonization of the New World.

Also simple geography worked against them. Despite the seemingly large amount of coastline the Baltics at the time were dangerous and difficult to navigate, meaning ships were not widely used (and explaining Imperial Russia's great drive to control the Balkans for an open port). Norway, Finland, or Sweden (and Russia even) did very little boating in the Baltics, meaning Sweden would probably never had the seamanship, boats, or navy for such an endevour to the New World.

The Ottomans had everything they needed for colonizing. A nazy, open ports, soldiers, population for immigration, all they needed was motivation, which they didn't have due to the good trade routes which they controlled, and everyone else wanted. So everyone went the other way resulting in the discovery of the Americas.

Anyways it's too far into development of the game.

Click HERE if you need a spam blocker!! Click HERE if you love kittens and puppies!!
Click HERE if you believe in logic!! Click HERE if you plan to go outside!!
Anti-Climatic winner of LPW 17
Elpea needs your brain creativity

[This message has been edited by Blitzer_231 (edited 05-13-2005 @ 06:07 PM).]

posted 05-13-05 06:06 PM EDT (US)     22 / 55  
While I deem the reasons stated in the main post sensible, the game's development is at the point when it's impossible to add a new civilization.

On a side note, the depiction of the Vikings in AoK wasn't even close... they did not have horned helmets like that.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 05-13-05 06:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 55  

Quote:

Thanks, someone needed to say it.

posted 05-13-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 55  
"2. The Danes, who at one point during this era were part of Sweden, had colonies in Greenland and the Virgin Islands."

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!

posted 05-13-05 07:24 PM EDT (US)     25 / 55  
I'm sympathetic to the Swedes. I really wish we could have included them. You just have to draw the line somewhere. Art and playtest time are expensive though, and we wouldn't want to just squeeze an extra civ in that basically looked and played like the French but with a different accent.

(I'm not saying the Swedes should feel like French with a different accent, but if we tried to cram them in the game without the resources to do it right, that's how they'd end up feeling.)

I know the Swedes have more right (whatever that means) than the Germans or Ottomans to be in the game, but when we started to think about the Swedish units and what the Swedes would do, we realized they weren't going to feel nearly as different from civs like the Dutch and French as other civs would.

Like I said before, maybe in an Xpack. I'd love to see Stockholm as a Home City.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Petition to Include the Swedes in AoE3
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames