You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: can ranged cavalry fire while moving?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-14-05 08:41 PM EDT (US)   
will ranged cavalry (dragoon, ruyter, etc) be able to fire while moving (as well as ranged cavalry of RON)?
if so, will be all ranged cavalry units or only some unit species?

it'd be cool too if there were one or more foot ranged units (some native unique archer or some european unique gunman) able to fire while walking/running too

OWN GOAL
Replies:
posted 07-14-05 08:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
I would think firing while moving would have to decrease accuracy quite a lot to be balanced. I also think its more trouble than its worth to program in.
posted 07-14-05 08:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
i believe an unupgraded dragoon, for example, would fire with little accuracy while moving. After some techs about accuracy, it would be able to fire with great (but not perfect yet) accuracy.

OWN GOAL

[This message has been edited by Ferdinand Gwonch (edited 07-14-2005 @ 08:50 PM).]

posted 07-23-05 11:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
what about it? will ranged cavalry fire while moving, even inaccurately?

OWN GOAL
posted 07-23-05 11:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
ask in the es question thread

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 07-25-05 12:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
    If all questions should be asked in 'Ask ES thread' then the main forum will be quite dead, nor would there be any real possebility to get a good discussion going, since the posts would drown in too many different topics.
    It's impossible to have more topic in each post, it would simply be a huge mess.
    posted 07-25-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
    you're right, defiler

besides this, many posts are ignored/non-read over there

OWN GOAL
    posted 07-25-05 05:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
    Maybe you can get an upgrade or card from your HC to get move-shoot? That would be nifty.

Winner of Absolutely Nothing
    Creator Of The Archer Wars (It's okay.)
    AoM Screen Name ---->BlazingInferno24 You most likely hate me
    posted 07-25-05 07:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
    Fire while moving sounds insanely lame, all you have to do is run them in circles and they'll keep firing, I can' believe some of things people ask. :/
    posted 07-25-05 07:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
    yeah, I think it would make ranged cavalry too powerful

*imagines AoK Mangudai horde moving and firing at the same time*

posted 07-25-05 08:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
    with cannons would it really matter?

also, aslong as bullets that "miss" their target have a chance to hit the surrounding targets insted, then it'll be usefull for raiding, but not fighting.

PS2MAN
    The Mythod Clan Burns To Ashes
    Long Live The Phoenix!!!!
    Phoenix_PS2MAN an Norse Wars Expert

Currently Recuriting Experienced NW UK Players.
    posted 07-25-05 09:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
    Ok cannons have a pretty low fire rate, therefore if you split your horses into 2 groups and just circled the cannons I guarantee you that the cannons would be out micro'd with ease. Not to mention, if the movement speed is anything similar to AoK/AoC and the cannon balls don't have any umm "heat seeking" qualities, the cannons will be toast, trust me it'd be horrible if they put in firing while running, because even with a say 50% miss rate(which would be very high), and you have like 15 horses in ctrl group 1 and 2, so 30 in all, that's still 15 hitting, and 15 with say umm 10-20 dmg or whatever it's at, they would own most anything, because calvary/infantry have to stop to hit, and any ground ranged, like musketeers, archers, or whatever, would all have a good chance of missing because of the horse archer speed. And rather than nerfing horse archers to no end, I think it would be smart to simply just let them attack like any other unit, stop to shoot.
    posted 07-25-05 09:23 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
    To those who say firing while moving is overpowered, you probably haven't played Rise of Nations. It had firing while moving in it, and it worked well. I don't see why AoE3 can't have it as well.
    posted 07-25-05 09:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
    I guess figure it like this, WC3 doesn't have it and there are pro players, Rise of Nations does have it and no pro players, go figure.
    posted 07-25-05 09:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
    That has to be the most redundant logic i've ever heard.

I think firing while moving could work alright. I mean, to fire they've still gotta come in range of your units right? A squad of musket/rifle units should be able to hold off skirmishing cav units because of better accuracy and range. When backed up by cannons there shouldn't be much of a problem... sure the cav can out-manuever them, but all the while they're getting picked off by your ranged infantry. It'd only take a couple of lucky cannon balls to decimate the attack.

It's much easier for a stationary man to shoot at a man on a horse - which is a large target, even if it is moving - than it is the other way round.

War doesn't decide who's right. It only decides who's left.

[This message has been edited by Jazzman (edited 07-25-2005 @ 09:52 PM).]

posted 07-25-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
    Redundant? No it's comparative logic if anything, I guess you just really would like to play Chees of Empires 3, I guess I'm not enough of a fan of it.
    posted 07-26-05 08:49 AM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
    i think the Comanche Horse Archers if any body should fire while moving
    posted 07-26-05 08:57 AM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
    Those who feel that cavalry firing while moving will make the game unbalanced should remember that this isn't AOE2 anymore. Your mainline units are not going to have to chase them. Your main units will carry muskets, not swords. You will probably outrange the ranged cavalry. It's like having an entire army of longbowmen or janissaries in AOK, cav archer armies are NOT going to win against that, even if they could fire while moving, since they have less range and less attack per resource. Most of your units are going to able to fight back against moving dragoons, and they are going to be able to win.

[This message has been edited by Ohmu (edited 07-26-2005 @ 08:58 AM).]

posted 07-26-05 09:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
    It would cause massive balance issues, especially if one civ had big ranged cav bonuses.

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
    ~Fear Me Mortals~
    [-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
    posted 07-26-05 10:49 AM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
    I certainly hope ranged cavalry do not fire while moving. For the reference to RON ranged calvary fire-moving, RON units would increase in cost to purchase so you could not simply spam the map with them.
    posted 07-26-05 01:40 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
    Has anybody heard of counters? Make the counter unit a cheap one like a scirmisher(sp) then their wont be much of a problem look at RON that had them and they didnt rule the battlefeild

Es una cosa muy seria.
    Theirs not to reason why theirs but to do and die.
    posted 07-26-05 02:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
    i always thought it was absolutely silly when units would chase other units down, then have to stand still and swipe at them, then when they get out of range they have to chase them again.
    posted 07-26-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
    another thing is that moving shoot is realistic

so many movies with cowboys and dragoons shooting and shooting, while their horses were running

OWN GOAL
    posted 07-26-05 03:26 PM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
    Counters are for armor/damage type, not how they fire, that's incorrect use of the term. Countering an imba? GG.
    posted 07-26-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35  

Quote:

so many movies with cowboys and dragoons shooting and shooting, while their horses were running

MOVIES....HOLLYWOOD

Since when were movies and hollywood EVER realistic? Things are so dramatized and exagerated....

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
    The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
    V:Would you... dance with me?
    Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
    V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
    posted 07-26-05 09:12 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35  

Quote:

It would cause massive balance issues, especially if one civ had big ranged cav bonuses.

No matter how big the ranged cav bonuses are, they will still be weaker than the ranged infantry. This is an Age maxim. In AOK, French paladins are still less cost-effective than pikemen or even champions. Mongolian and Hunnic cav archers are still less cost-effective than foot archers. In AOM, Poseidon and Odin's hippikons and Jarls will still be at a disadvantage against hoplites, murmillos and ulfsarks, even taking into account the bonuses given by the major and minor gods.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » can ranged cavalry fire while moving?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames