You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: just-created units: Popping out or leaving through the door?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-26-05 08:50 PM EDT (US)   
How units will appear after created? WIll they unrealisticly pop out (old-school), appearing from the atoms of the air, or will they appear by leaving the building of their origin through the door (for example, the door of the barracks open, the new musketeer appears crossing the open door and stops in the front of the building (or on rally point or on other side of the barracks)?

pop out is so unrealistic.. i do prefer the appearance by the door

(if anyone didn't understand, soon i will draw the scheme)

OWN GOAL
Replies:
posted 07-26-05 08:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 60  
Leaving through the door should, IMO, be a common rule set in stone for RTS games now, so I hope ES do. Looks so much more nicer.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
posted 07-26-05 08:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 60  
Hm, I never thought of that. Coming out of the door would add an even more realistic touch, but then would the get cramped at the doorway after 10 being made? Because popping out they could appear around the building evenly.

But if they get out of the door, with no gathering point, maybe they can get them to walk to the other side. Hm, we'll see.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 07-26-05 09:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 60  
On one hand, with units coming out of a doorwall, it looks realistic and great and all that I guess.

On the other hand, if theres any units infront of the barracks (for instance) than those units would have to move to allow the new ones to leave through the doors.

Personally, I don't sit and wait for individual units to be created, so I rarely see them pop out or leave through the door. Though the rare time that I am waiting for a lone unit, it's cool to see them come out a door, but it sucks to wait till they're full out before I can click on them and control them.

posted 07-26-05 09:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 60  
Untis coming our of the door is done in Cossacks, so i assume it is not a rather hard thing to do considering Cossacks is rather "old".

It would be a very nice touch IMO too.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
posted 07-26-05 09:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 60  
ya agreed that aspect of cossacks was very cool
posted 07-26-05 09:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 60  
Cossacks is awesome. But if you're going to talk about it. Go to Cossacks heaven. Noone's there. So it's really boring, but the more people go, the more people talk! Well. It doesn't really matter. But anyway. Yeah, it'd be nice if they made it look nice, instead of it just appearing.
posted 07-26-05 10:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 60  
do you think that as they appear or come out that thet will constantly go into a formation or just a bunched up group?
posted 07-26-05 10:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 60  
Units walked (or drove) out of the building in C&C:G. While it is more realistic, it's really not that important, and can lead to pathfinding issues when units are infront of the "door", and have to shuffle about. Not worth it, IMO.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 07-26-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 60  
I don't think units in front of the "door" would prevent created units from exiting; a larger bounding rectangle (or a transparent sprite) around the building could prevent units walking in a certain area outside it.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore. In the middle of a room stands a suicide. Magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullam corper suscipit lobortis. Eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum delenit au duis dolore te feugat nulla facilisi. I began at awareness.
posted 07-26-05 11:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 60  
I was actulay just thinking about this.
It would be cool to see them walk out, but it might be a hassle to have a unit walk all the way around the building and stuff like that.
But then again, most people set really points.

tbh, I really don't care

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

posted 07-26-05 11:22 PM EDT (US)     11 / 60  
What about the russians it would take a while for 8 people to come out if you needed them right then.

ESO2: JunkFood_Knight
posted 07-26-05 11:29 PM EDT (US)     12 / 60  
I think there was a thread like this a few months back lol
Sounded like a good idea

PS: Wont take more than 5 seconds for 5 soldiers to come out of a military building.

★★★★★
posted 07-26-05 11:50 PM EDT (US)     13 / 60  
Yes, coming out of a building through the door would look cool. Pesonally I could'nt care less how long it took for the units to come out unless they REALLY took their time.
posted 07-26-05 11:51 PM EDT (US)     14 / 60  
Popping out works for me.

I am LuNatic, Dark lord of the sif
~Fear Me Mortals~
[-GREEM-] Best. Clan. Ever.
posted 07-27-05 00:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 60  
popping out creates a more ready situation, doors create a more cinimatic. Im too busy to watch a movie about a guy going through a door, id rather just take them and move them.

And if you are gonna have them leave through doors, then whats next after that, sleeping, eating, 2 villies enter the TC for durration of creating a new villie (or at least the early part, leaving the late part to schooling). Hey if you do that, then they can give you siphalis to slow over production of villies

Moooers are remembered, chirpers never die, splashers are invincable

posted 07-27-05 01:05 AM EDT (US)     16 / 60  
um... now, it would LOOK cool, but it would effect gameplay, especially in this case. Well, unless the people coming out of the door was part of their production process, the way a building looks different when its build is started then when it's about finished. I mean, if you garrison ten units someplace, it would take ten seconds to get them inside. When you ungarrsion, the same thing happens.

Also, I believe there's the new 'training five at once' thing going on. That definitely won't allow for five people leaving through a single door, i mean... it just doesn't make sense for this kind of game. I say keep the 'pop-out's and leave the cinematics of opening and closing doors to other games

posted 07-27-05 08:33 AM EDT (US)     17 / 60  
Well, I think it'd be a nice little touch - they had units leaving their buildings in C&C Generals, and it added a nice little touch of realism.

Looking forward to AoE3 - big population cap > AoM
posted 07-27-05 08:57 AM EDT (US)     18 / 60  
What, they don't have this there yet?? :O OMG: they certainly must go out throught the door-this is one of the best looking games ever so therefor, this is a must-feature. Sure, it isn't practical, but hey is having fishing boats act realistically to waves is sooo useful...
please ES, make this feature appear in-game. It's one of those nice little touches that makes the Age of Empires series a succes.
posted 07-27-05 09:46 AM EDT (US)     19 / 60  
i think coming out the door will affect less (or don't affect) gameplay if the time in which the unit is leaving the building counts within the production time
for example: at 92% of production time, the musketeer will come out the door; from 92% until 100%, he will walk above the courtyard which is inside the barracks; at 100% he's totally out of the barracks (but will still walk until a point around the barracks, from whence he would pop out if the game didn't offer that realistic feature)

OWN GOAL
posted 07-27-05 10:25 AM EDT (US)     20 / 60  

Quote:

for example: at 92% of production time, the musketeer will come out the door; from 92% until 100%, he will walk above the courtyard which is inside the barracks; at 100% he's totally out of the barracks (but will still walk until a point around the barracks, from whence he would pop out if the game didn't offer that realistic feature)

Ooh, nice thinking there, Ferdinand!

That would certainly work - infact it would also act like a more visual progress bar.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.
posted 07-27-05 10:38 AM EDT (US)     21 / 60  
in the game act of war the units were moving out of the building in the time of the progress bar and I hate it because you could already see your soldier out of the building when the enemy destroyed but you didnt get the units because he wasn't reaaly ready.
posted 07-27-05 01:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 60  
I really prefer popping out. When I produce a unit I want to use it as soon as its complete not as soon as its complete and walks out. Having to deal with the issues that mess up the door thing would be detrimental to gameplay.
posted 08-10-05 02:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 60  
it'd be cool if sandyman answers this

OWN GOAL
posted 08-10-05 02:26 PM EDT (US)     24 / 60  
No, they don't walk through the courtyard and walk out of a door.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 08-10-05 02:31 PM EDT (US)     25 / 60  
Besides, leaving though the door would mean you can only leave in one direction. This becomes problematic when that one direction is blocked by other buildings or trees, etc.

Olympian Staff @ ESAC
*** Fortune for a quarter... I LOVE quarters! ***
*** Give me a quarter, I'll tell you your fortune ***
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » just-created units: Popping out or leaving through the door?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames