You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Ask ES Thread summary database...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-06-05 01:53 AM EDT (US)   
Ask ES Question and Answer Summary

I was bored, and i saw people complaing about how they had to sift through 40 pages of the Ask ES thread to find questions that had been answered. I figured i could put my programming ability to use for the community.

So, i wrote a little cgi script, that will provide a summary of questions that have been answered by ES in the ask ES thread. The Q/A's come from a database that i have created from what is found in the thread, i am pretty sure if have every question that has been answered by ES in the ask ES thread, and i will continue to update as necessary.

Oh, one more thing, i have used javascript to sort the Q/A's into categories and you can toggle between all Q/A's and specific categories such as game play related, content or ESO 2 ect...

Hopefully it should work in all browsers.
Anyway, you can find it at the link below, no worries there are no popups or annoying ads or anything.

Ask ES Question and Answer Summary

Use it if you wish, feel free to comment, and i hope i havent broken the forum CoC if i have, mods lock or delete topic if you wish.

*oh yeah, lots of content so give it a miniute to load.
Also, with the regards to the name of who gave the answer to the question, i use the same (user) color coding as found on these forums, however, i have made 'Play testers' who or not mods or anything else teal colored.

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
~The Legion Of Light~

[This message has been edited by Maveric_LOL (edited 08-06-2005 @ 02:05 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-06-05 01:55 AM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
Great post Maverik! It is a lot easier to navigate then the real question thread.
posted 08-06-05 01:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
Great work as always, Mav!

Mazarin Ashinar
The Legion of Light
posted 08-06-05 01:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
Wow. That's amazing. Awesome job!

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
posted 08-06-05 01:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Wow, this'll be really useful, thanks a bunch and nice work.

One thing, though. KS has a topic where the people who got to play the game answer questions (i think it's 'pics from my ES trip'), anyway to include that?

He died peacefully, because there is no sound in a total vacuum. As for the other hamsters...
posted 08-06-05 01:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
Excellent work! This is fantastic! Out of interest, how long did it take you?

    
posted 08-06-05 02:00 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Scorpi the answer to that is this, the current system that i coded lets me input and Q/A's as well as who answerd them, so yes i can just include the stuff in that thread and then it will say something like

KS: blah blah blah

You will notice already a few of the answers (near the bottom) come from KS and Mokon, those were Q/A's posted in the ask ES thread.

As to how long it took...
well lets see it took me 5 mins to dig the javascript out of storage. 20 mins or so to modify it to accept content from my cgi script.

Most of the cgi i used came from bits of the content engine that i recently coded for the new LoL site, so about an hour or less? to hack out the bits i needed, mod them and throw them together.

Took about 2-3 hours to populate the database which was the longest part cause i wanted to get all the Q/A.s

However, i worked on it a bit yesterday and finshed it up today so i diddent work on it straight through.

~The Legion Of Light~

[This message has been edited by Maveric_LOL (edited 08-06-2005 @ 02:03 AM).]

posted 08-06-05 02:08 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Well it is very good however there are a few repeting questions like this

Quote:

Q: No. It's hard enough to parse a Musketeer from a Skirmisher of different upgrade levels from each other. Throwing civ in there also would be nuts.

ES_DeathShrimp:
No. It's hard enough to parse a Musketeer from a Skirmisher of different upgrade levels from each other. Throwing civ in there also would be nuts.

so after things like these are fixed it will be perfect.

posted 08-06-05 02:11 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
Looks good

Zen
posted 08-06-05 02:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
well some questions repeat because they are the same question asked in a slightly different ways.

Tomorrow ill take care of anything that needs fixing.
Also ill add a search funtion and few other things to make it more ubber. Right now sleep is calling me.

~The Legion Of Light~
posted 08-06-05 02:17 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
Oops I worded that wrong. In my example the question and answer are the same. However this is the only case of it I could find. I will try to find the question in the thread.
posted 08-06-05 02:27 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
Found it!

The question is

Quote:

Do units from different nations have different appearance (eg a French Musketeer looks different than a Dutch Musketeer)?

To which DS answers

Quote:

DS: No. It's hard enough to parse a Musketeer from a Skirmisher of different upgrade levels from each other. Throwing civ in there also would be nuts.

posted 08-06-05 02:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
Nice job ! , thanks so much. It's really going to make things much easier for everyone now.
posted 08-06-05 02:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
Also if you get time ,
- how about putting the date of each question down ?
- by the way , you're missing a few other people from ES with their answers.
Thanks so much again ! , great work
posted 08-06-05 02:48 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
Nice Job Mav!!

*bows down* we are not worthy we are not worthy!

posted 08-06-05 03:06 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Seriously a great tool, you can program something people can use, while I sadly I'm stuck to highschool calculator programs in Basic.

I must bow down as well as Mr. Dude.

Musket Man: Inefficiently fighting crime with a musket since 1565!

(\**/)<-Crown your bunny!
(O.o )
(> < )
posted 08-06-05 05:13 AM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
Awesome dude! This really rocks!

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 08-06-05 05:50 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
Indeed! Great work!
posted 08-06-05 06:33 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Someone has patience! You deserve an applause; truly amazing work you've done, Maveric!

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
posted 08-06-05 08:30 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
Very nice work Maveric

EDIT: I've edited the main post of the "ask ES" thread to include a link to this; that should make it very easy to find the list of answered questions quickly, even if this thread leaves the first page.

Sith
Halo 2 Stats | AoMH | AoE3H | FMT

[This message has been edited by Sith (edited 08-06-2005 @ 08:36 AM).]

posted 08-06-05 09:22 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Good job dude!

Glad to have just joined your clan

★★★★★
posted 08-06-05 09:44 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  

Quote:

Also if you get time ,
- how about putting the date of each question down ?
- by the way , you're missing a few other people from ES with their answers.
Thanks so much again ! , great work

With regards to the date, the questions are arranged in the order they were recieved, so oldest first.

Also, i have been to some degree selective with what i put on there, what i mean is that some things changed in the course of the last few months, and in those cases someone from ES came back and re-answered the question giving new information. In such a case where more than one answer exsist only the most current answer is in the database.

I could go back and add the dates, however that would take some time so if i do decide to publish the dates that particular update might be a bit slower in comming.

However, i can tell you that some time sensative questions already have the date in the answers.

Quote:

by the way , you're missing a few other people from ES with their answers.

As for that, i thought i got them all in the thread, if i have missed any, post them here and ill add them, keep in mind i havent added Q/A's that were published outside the thread. However, what i can do is this, i will provide my email (and in a few hours when i get off work and have time ill make a input form) so that ES and mods of this forum can send me important Q/A's to be added.

Or, i might just setup the system so that ES, mods from these forums ect can login and add stuff directly.
I only just finished the main thing last night, tonight ill work on the admin feature and some other stuff.

Also, im gonna go through the hardware specs for noobs or what ever the exact name of the thread is (which is also quite long) and add any pertinent Q/A's from that thread to the hardware category.

my email: maveric_f109@hotmail.com
Please, dont spam it and make sure you have a definate answer to a question before you email (if you do) because to protect the integrity of the database im not going to post speculative answers.

~The Legion Of Light~

[This message has been edited by Maveric_LOL (edited 08-06-2005 @ 09:46 AM).]

posted 08-06-05 10:12 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
Thats awesome.
If you could get any and all responses by ES, that would be great.

But yeah, I'm off to read now, thanks.

October 25th: 298th day of the year, coincidence, conspiracy? You Decide.

I am still waiting for Name change to Armed Rebel.

[This message has been edited by Ajs77311 (edited 08-06-2005 @ 10:14 AM).]

posted 08-06-05 10:28 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
Nice work! i love it. there is one error however,

Q: No. It's hard enough to parse a Musketeer from a Skirmisher of different upgrade levels from each other. Throwing civ in there also would be nuts.

ES_DeathShrimp:
No. It's hard enough to parse a Musketeer from a Skirmisher of different upgrade levels from each other. Throwing civ in there also would be nuts.

Hmmmm

Looks like the copy/paste got a littel mixed up there.

Dagorhir Battlegames-- A full contact medieval combat battle game

Varangia-- A viking unit in the Aratari chapter of Dagorhir

Winner-- OD Idol 2009
posted 08-06-05 01:15 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
*very* nice job!

posted 08-06-05 10:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
NICE! though i just took 2 hours to read it lol.

well hey one error in a thread that was how many pages long isnt bad at all.

GREAT JOB!

[This message has been edited by Byzantine2793 (edited 08-06-2005 @ 10:13 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Ask ES Thread summary database...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames