Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide how to install and Patch AoE3 with win 2000
posted 10-15-05 04:31 PM EDT (US)   
Since E$ and M$ are ***** i had to find along with some other win2k user a way to install and play the Game on a windows 2000 System - thx for the help.
Since im not a ***** like E$ and M$ here what you have to do:

How to install:

From your Start menu, select Run..., then type in 'cmd' (without quotes). And hit OK. You should get a window with a DOS like prompt (ie. C:\> ). From there, navigate to the CD-Rom drive and then type 'setup /a' (again without the quotes). The installer will then run normally but without the OS check

How to patch:

The solution is simple. Open up your registry (type "regedit" in the command prompt), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Mic rosoft Games/Age of Empires 3/1.0, right click on the right portion of the window and select Add String Value. Name it "SetupPath", then right-click it and Modify it, typing in the full path of your Age of Empires III folder. (The default path is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires 3")

Have fun

To make this a sticky wouldn't hurt and may prevent other win2k user from geting **********

Replies:
posted 10-15-05 04:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
what the hell that mean:
From there, navigate to the CD-Rom drive and then type

how can i navigate from the dos to my CD-ROM DRIVE?!

posted 10-15-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
--how can i navigate from the dos to my CD-ROM DRIVE?!--

Default the window starts with: C: type in (the letter of the CDrom with the CD in it) like D: (press enter)

Now just type setup/a (press enter again)

Thats all

[This message has been edited by BurnInHell02 (edited 10-15-2005 @ 04:40 PM).]

posted 10-19-05 10:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Push^^
posted 10-19-05 11:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Thanks, I'll try it out when the game's out over here.
posted 10-19-05 12:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
thanks, ill try on my old pc.

MOD Is Act Like God! :P :P :P
posted 10-25-05 04:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
hi,
i have win2k, and i used the instructions above to install. it worked, but i cant patch. i added the registry entry, but whenever i open the patch.exe file i get an error that says "Old File Does Not Exist" when i press ok, it closes. what did i do wrong? thanks.
posted 10-25-05 06:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Old File Does Not Exist

That comes from using an exe crack or having a bad exe file

PNY VERTO 6600 GT AGP 8X.........................149.99
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 939 Processor....219.00
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi.........68.00
CORSAIR ValueSelect(2 x 512MB) PC 3200......97.32
Maxtor 80GBIDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive......56.50
Playing AOE3.........................................Priceless!!!
posted 10-25-05 08:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
There's no Hkey string to the AOE location. Any ideas why?
posted 10-26-05 05:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
ok, i fixed it. i had the wrong path in the registry string. oops. thanks for the guide.
posted 11-30-05 05:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Greetings everyone.

I've been trying this trick to install the game on a Win2k running machine, and failed.

First, when I look for setup.exe on my AoE3 CD, I can't find any. In fact, on my copy, the game installation is never launched through this file, but rather via the file install.exe (which is the file the autorun uses too). I'm not sure why it is so, as I've seen elsewhere on the web this setup.exe file mentionned, and even in the readme file on the AoE3 CD. I don't know if it makes any kind of difference but I have the collector edition.

Anyway, I tried the procedure described above, replacing setup.exe with install.exe, and the installation began, although I couldn't see any progress bar like I can see when I install the game on XP.
Before the installation is complete, it normally asks you to put back CD1 in the drive before finalizing. Here, it didn't ask for that and said the installation was complete after CD3. However, there wasn't any registry entry created for it, nor where there any command group in the Start menu.

When I look at the directory I asked it to install the game, I do not see the usual files. Instead, there are two directories: one Age of Empires III directory which holds the same files as those you would have if you had proceeded with the classical XP installation, the other one is named System and contains other files. With those two directories is there also the Age of Empires III.msi file.

The game won't run when I launch the .exe file. I get an error message saying MSXML4.0 has not been installed correctly and that the game needs it to run.

Can anyone help me? I've tried several things since, but I'm lost now.

posted 11-30-05 11:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
try the age community site... they have LOTS of tech support info over there.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Guide how to install and Patch AoE3 with win 2000
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames