General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Installing AOE3 Retail Under Windows 2000
posted 10-20-05 05:37 AM EDT (US)   
Hi,

This forum has helped me so much! Thanks to all who have posted good information. I just wanted to sum everything up and add a few things incase some people have the same problems after installation as I did.

To install the full retail version of AOE3 on a win2k system as people in here have said, you must use the command prompt:

1. Start > Run...
2. Type in cmd and press OK
3. When the Dos window appears type in D: or which ever letter your cd/dvd rom drive is; then press Enter.
4. Type in setup /a and press Enter.
5. Wait for the installation wizard to appear, and press Next.
6. Then type in the destination as to where you want it to be installed. I recommend using the default path, which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3
7. Press Install.

Note: Once you have the game installed and try to run it, you may get an error about a d3dx9_25.dll if this is the case, then you can either download the D3DX April Update from http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html or reinstall DirectX9 completely.

Note: Once you have that done, you may also get another error about MSXML 4; if this is the case then you should install msxml.msi from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLa ng=en#filelist

After that you can run the game from the Game icon (not the autorun feature by inserting CD1) If you do not have the Game icon on your desktop then create it. To do so locate your Game directory, then find age3.exe and Right click on it, then click Send to > Desktop.

To Install The Age of Empires 3 1.01 Update: You must do the following:

1. Start > Run...
2. Type in Regedit and press OK
3. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/ Age of Empires 3/1.0
4. If you do not see a folder called Microsoft/ or Microsoft Games/ then you must create each folder leading up to 1.0.
5. To create a folder in the registry Right Click in the folder area and mouse-over New, then click Key and rename the folder appropriately.
6. Once you arive at the folder named 1.0 then you must Right Click in the right-hand side of the window; and mouse-over New, then click String Value
7. Name the new string value SetupPath, then Right Click on it; and click Modify
8. Under Value Data: you must type the Exact Location of the age3.exe If you used the recommended directory I gave above durring the installation, then you must put this: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3\Age Of Empires III (Note: This is where most people go wrong, so be sure you have the Exact Directory Location of your age3.exe)
9. Run the Age of Empires 3 1.01 update.

Thank you once again to all who have posted such great and helpful information.

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 11-10-2005 @ 04:36 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-20-05 04:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
Careful here, ES might send their henchmen to delete this post. On their agecommunity.com they are editing all posts attempting to support those with Windows 2000, and replacing the helpful instructions with:

"This is not supported."

and

"If you want to get banned keep it up. WIN2k is not supported and you are not authorized to give support for it in our forums."

They've denied a conspiracy before, but how can they deny it now?

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 10-20-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
They are doing their duty based on their contracts with Microsoft. ES people are considered "Microsoft Official People". They must behave under Microsoft's rules as Microsoft people. ES would want nothing to impair their relations with MS, so this behavior is totally undertandable.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 10-20-2005 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 10-20-05 04:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
Telling us that they won't support an OS due to development cost and then not allowing their "community" to support it for free??? Yeah, totally undertandable.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 10-20-05 04:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
It isn't a technical issue or a "money issue with testing," or anything like that. Microsoft has a scheme to get everyone in the world to update to the latest versions of everything, and they have bogus licensing agreements that literally take your rights away; more and more, trying to get COPYRIGHT laws enforced to the max. Copyrights are okay in today's world because they arn't enforced! Microsoft is slowly slowly pulling palladium / digital rights management / and copyrights to power and eventually will be taking people's digital rights away. They didn't have XP only for no reason; it's all part of the scheme; and not enough people know about what they are doing for it to make a difference; or to even remotely stop their plot. Huge companies are in on palladium and DRM. to read more about this go here http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html I suggest reading the whole article. The fact that AOE3 is acclaimed XP only is not shocking; and was even predictable. It's a good thing for this forum though so people will know how to install the game on 2k! I wonder about all those noobs out there who arn't going to think about searching the net / or anything - and who are actually going to buy XP just to play this game! - POOR NOOBS ;_; really sucks. =\

Here are a few more links about this; and I HIGHLY recommend reading the article above, along with these.

http://www.epic.org/privacy/consumer/microsoft/palladium.html

http://www.newsforge.com/business/02/10/21/1449250.shtml?tid=19

http://www.epic.org/privacy/drm/

posted 10-20-05 04:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  

Quote:

I wonder about all those noobs out there who arn't going to think about searching the net / or anything - and who are actually going to buy XP just to play this game!

Yeah I pity them too. Fools and their money... my money soon after I sell the game on EBay.

posted 10-20-05 06:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
Thank you for posting this, Timooo ! I don't have windows 2000, but I'm sure many players out there do, and I'm sure they'd really appreciate this.
posted 10-20-05 10:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Completely useless, but thanks for trying.

The game still refuses to believe that it's installed- when I put disk one in it insists that I must install it- not play it, even though all the files are aleady there.

~The Evil Weasel
posted 10-21-05 04:05 AM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Thank you too Alexander =D I appreciate it. =)

Hey ywing pilot... (A solution)

Quote:

The game still refuses to believe that it's installed- when I put disk one in it insists that I must install it- not play it, even though all the files are aleady there.

If you try to run it from the autorun, yes... you will see "install" (The isntallation doesn't install anything in the registry.) You have to use the game icon; If you don't have the game icon, goto your game folder right click on aoe3.exe and click Send to > Desktop.

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-21-2005 @ 04:25 AM).]

posted 10-21-05 05:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
"AOE3.exe" doesn't exist unfortunatly. The game doesn't create it when I do it this way, which makes things difficult.

~The Evil Weasel

[This message has been edited by ywing pilot (edited 10-21-2005 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 10-21-05 06:31 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  

Quoted from ywing pilot:

AOE3.exe" doesn't exist unfortunatly. The game doesn't create it when I do it this way, which makes things difficult.

Can you confirm this, Timooo?

posted 10-23-05 05:50 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
I have the game successfully installed on windows 2000, and the aoe3.exe was created. If you follow my guide 100% with the recommended installation path; it will be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires 3\Age Of Empires III\

Conclusively, something went wrong with your particular installation (due to unknown or known causes) or otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 10-23-2005 @ 05:55 AM).]

posted 10-28-05 03:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
im having problems with the MSXML... i do not know where to point the installation of files
posted 10-28-05 04:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
oh, my goodness! A company is trying to get people to buy its products and keep people from stealing them! We should have them sued for conspiracy.

2000 is the only other version of Windows on which I would remotely consider installing AoE3. If a computer doesn't have XP, it's most likely too old to run the game at descent fps.

Supporting 2K would be rediculous for ES. Not very many people use it for home computers, since it wasn't designed for them. That being said, I find it very odd that they wouldn't allow the community to help each other out on it. I can understand them not wanting to spend their own time on it, though.

posted 11-07-05 07:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
I have added a new part to the installation instructions about exactly how to install the AOE 1.01 update. And also corrected an error about msxml. You must download msxml.msi Not msxml4msms.exe Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Timooo (edited 11-10-2005 @ 04:35 AM).]

posted 11-10-05 01:10 PM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
Timooo
Thnx for your excellent install instructions for this game now working under windows 2000,if anyone has trouble installing patch as timooo says you really need to make sure you have exact path sorted out,my error was to copy and paste patch location from timooo post,it would not work
i copied and pasted location from the shortcut on desktop instead from the start in box and now patch installs no problems...

thnx again

toddz

posted 11-10-05 02:09 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24  

Quote:

this game is now working under windows 2000

But not on ESO I assume?

posted 11-16-05 07:50 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
timooos guide worked just fine for me.
but i run into troubles updating to 1.01
its complaining about an invalid patch file, (and then it shows the temp dir where it aparently copied the patchfile to)
tried redownloading and re-installing the patch,
doesnt seem to work though.
n e i dz on how this can be fixed?
i cant play the game now because it doesnt continue the campaign for some vague reason. (2nd level, 2nd game: i have met all the objectives, but it doesnt show; you're victorious! )

thanx

posted 12-26-05 10:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
wooooooooooooooooo it works! thank you!

wait, does the 1.03 patch install the same way as 1.01? thanks

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

"If MacGyver and Jack Bauer were in a fight, Chuck Norris would win."

posted 12-27-05 02:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Damn robber barons...
posted 12-27-05 08:47 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Hmm, I tried getting the 1.03 patch working with the instructions you gave, but it says "there's a problem with you game installation. you may have to reinstall it".

Is this the error it gives when you screw up the directory? Or does your way of updating not work with 1.03?

Cause I really wanna go online...

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

posted 01-02-06 05:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Techubus found a great (although tedious) workaround that lets you install AoE3 properly, meaning you can uninstall it as usual, and the autopatcher even works. I had absolutely no part in figuring this out, I'm just posting this here for the good of all win2k users.

Quoted from "Techubus":

Well I finaly did it. I managed to get AOE 3 to install from CD the 'correct' way and got the in game updater to patch me to version 1.03. The only thing that remains unfixed unfortunately is playing Online. I get a message stating my game version is not supported. Now I understand even WinXP users experience this problem so it may have nothing to do with win2k. Then again, ES may have deliberately blocked any chance of getting online by doing an OS check. If this is the case I am afraid it may be completely unfixable

For starts I have to give credit to The Bob who posted a link in the original Windows 2000 thread that got the ball rolling on this fix. Visit this link and download the zip file. The zip includes an Age of Empires III.MSI, do not use this one as it is not in english. Use the MSI that comes on your game disc.
http://www.megagames.com/cgi/download/download.cgi?action=search&category=cracks&search=AGE.OF.EMPIRES.3.WIN2KINSTALLPATCH.ANDREW.FIX.ZIP

Follow the instructions in the zip file. In order to apply the fix as it mentions, you must install ORCA. Normaly this requires downloading the Windows Server 2003 SP1 Platform SDK, which is about 350mb. Fortunately I found a source that has ORCA as a standalone download here: http://www.pek.com/projects/msi/orca.zip

Once you've installed orca and followed the directions in the zip to modify the Age of Empires III.MSI file all you've got to do now is burn a copy of 'AOE III Disc 1' with your new MSI file replacing the original. This is where I had a major headache due to copy protection.

My workaround included Alcohol: http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/6

and Daemon Tools: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php?mode=Download&id=81

I used Alcohol to create an image of the CD and then used Daemon Tools to open that image in a virtual CD drive. From this virtual drive I was able to copy all the install files to my harddrive. From that point it was simple to create a new cd with the modified MSI file. If any of this is confusing I will do my best to clarify. Sadly there still seems to be no online play but I would like some other win2k users to confirm this. At the very least you will now have a new install CD that will work in win2k and allow you to patch your game to the latest version.

Summed-up, step-by-step version:

1. Download the following zip file: http://www.megagames.com/cgi/download/download.cgi?action=search&category=cracks&search=AGE.OF.EMPIRES.3.WIN2KINSTALLPATCH.ANDREW.FIX.ZIP, unzip its contents

2. Copy the file "Age of Empires III.msi" from your AoE3 CD1, to your hard drive.

3. Download ORCA, at http://www.pek.com/projects/msi/orca.zip, unzip its contents

4. Load orca.exe. Go to File, Open, and find "Age of Empires III.msi" (the one you copied to your hard drive). On the left side, find the table named "Binary" and click it. On the right side, find the line "InstallScript", and double-click on the "[Binary Data]" of that line. NOTE: If nothing happens when you double-click "[Binary Data]", exit Orca, find "Age of Empires III.msi", go to its properties, and deselect "read-only". Click browse, and find the file named "InstallScript" (the one that came with the first .zip you downloaded), and click OK. Then be sure to SAVE the change you made.

5. This part may get tricky. Copy ALL the files from your AoE3 CD1, EXEPT "Age of Empires III.msi", to your hard drive. Apparently this works fine with third party file managing programs (such as PowerDesk), but may not work properly if you're using Windows' default Explorer. If this is the case, scroll up to where Techubus mentions "Alcohol" (NOT the drink :P)

6. 00002.tmp will most likely NOT copy over. It may give you an error. Just leave it be for now.

7. Once this is finished, copy over your modified "Age of Empires III.msi" into the root folder of the CD you just copied to your hard drive.

8. In this same folder, create a new file and name it "00002.tmp" (without quotes).

9. While it MAY be possible to run your modified CD1 off of your hard drive, it's safer to burn everything to a CD. Take all the files you'd copied to your hard drive (INCLUDING the modified "Age of Empires III.msi" and "00002.tmp"), and burn it all to a CD. Name the CD "AoE III Disc 1".

10. Pop this burned CD into your CD-ROM drive and run "Setup.exe". If all goes well, it should run and install just like normal. Sometimes, during installation, it may seem to pause at a file, and stop installing. If this is the case, remove your burned CD, wait until the setup says "Please insert disc 1", and insert the real Disc 1. You are past the OS check by this point anyway, so this will work fine.

11. Pop your real Disc 1 into your CD drive and launch AoE3. Success! You can update your game through the in-game auto-updater. There seems to still be a problem playing online though, as it gives the error: "ESO does not support your game version." when you try to connect. However, this is an error many XP users are getting as well, so there's still hope. In the mean time, you have a properly installed, patchable version of AoE3. Enjoy!

Again, I had no part whatsoever in figuring this out. This was Techubus' genius. I just thought I'd rewrite the instructions to help people out (As I had numerous issues while trying to get this working :P). If you have any problems installing the game this way, please visit http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,27699,0,10. Techubus answered all the issues I had there, you might be having the same problems.

Good luck!

(and Techubus, maybe you should make a topic for this, depending on how much this one gets viewed)

[This message has been edited by rippy (edited 01-02-2006 @ 05:20 PM).]

posted 01-03-06 12:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
Thanks for cleaning up the instructions, should be much easier to follow now

I would love to make this a new topic and have the mods sticky it but I have a feeling they wont, no love for the 2k users

posted 01-31-06 02:20 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
how do you uninstall aoe3 under win2k is another question.
can someone help?
posted 02-16-06 11:59 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
Hello, the guide worked to get the install up. But it freezes when I hit install.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Installing AOE3 Retail Under Windows 2000
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames