Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ENSEMBLE STUDIOS - please read
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-30-05 04:01 AM EDT (US)   
To the ES-employees

The game is out for some time now, and there is a great unhappyness about the editor, because it is filled with bugs.

There were "rumours" that it would be unlikely that there would be a patch for the editor. If there wont be a patch for the editor to fix all the bugs than you are selling out unfinished products, which is basically a rip-off.

I want to know if there is going to be a patch for the editor or not. No patch would seriously lower my respect for ES.

NOTE TO MODERATORS : I know this thread belongs in the Scenario-Design forum, but I didnt feel that many ES-Employees even looked into that forum

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
Replies:
posted 10-30-05 04:15 AM EDT (US)     1 / 38  
To all ES employees:

Great game! :-)

ESO Name: Commodus
Coming soon to a theater near you...
posted 10-30-05 04:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 38  
ES always tries to get rid of every bug in the game. So I'm pretty sure they will get rid of the bugs in the SE soon

Exploring Strategist of the dutch

[This message has been edited by Vortexian (edited 10-30-2005 @ 04:42 AM).]

posted 10-30-05 06:42 AM EDT (US)     3 / 38  
The editor will always have bugs, and no they are not selling an unfinished project. As they have stated many times, the scen editor is just an extra, it really isnt part of the normal game. All companies I know of do this. The scen editor is just an unsupported tool....

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 10-30-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 38  
    "All companies I know of do this."

Firaxis and Blizzard support fix and update their editors. =/

The Legion Clan is the oldest international clan in the gaming community with a founding date of 1999. For years have we held on to our traditions, tournaments, and even play-styles. Basically what we always look for is bright minds, superior skills, and interesting personalities. We only invite people to be a part of our family that we can achieve something with. Now don’t tell me The Legion Clan doesn’t know what’s important. Join a clan with history, one you can trust, join L Clan.
    posted 10-30-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 38  

Quote:

Firaxis and Blizzard support fix and update their editors.

Yes, but the games released by those companies are built around the editor, AOE3 wasn't. AoE3's scenarios and campaign may have been done in the editor, but thats about it. The editor is an UN-SUPORTED TOOL. They might fix bugs in a patch, or wait and do it in the Xpack.

[This message has been edited by The_Assimilator (edited 10-30-2005 @ 04:40 PM).]

posted 10-30-05 04:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 38  

Quote:

The game is out for some time now, and there is a great unhappyness about the editor, because it is filled with bugs.

Initially, I planned to spend around $1,000 to buy a brandnew computer system, and get the game as soon as it is released, so that I can design with the editor.

But after I found out that the camera pitch editor doesn't even work as it was supposed to like the one from AoM: TT, and the effect to modify unit isn't working properly, and rumors that ES have no plan to support the Editor with patches, I've decided to put my purchase on hold until I can be sure that I will be able to design using a functional Editor.

posted 10-30-05 04:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 38  
    You were thinking about buying a new computer just so you can make your own scenarios?

Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic is the anwser, next problem
    posted 10-30-05 05:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 38  
    Assimilator , Blizzard and Firaxis still get most of their sales from single players, just as Age of game...

They just chose to support something that they created. That is the only difference. Makes sense...

The Legion Clan is the oldest international clan in the gaming community with a founding date of 1999. For years have we held on to our traditions, tournaments, and even play-styles. Basically what we always look for is bright minds, superior skills, and interesting personalities. We only invite people to be a part of our family that we can achieve something with. Now don’t tell me The Legion Clan doesn’t know what’s important. Join a clan with history, one you can trust, join L Clan.

[This message has been edited by Realn (edited 10-30-2005 @ 05:05 PM).]

posted 10-30-05 05:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 38  
    In AOK scenarios were extremely popular. It expands the lifetime of the game because people who don't play online can play scenarios other people made. A lot of online players do not like playing standard games either and like to play scenarios more than RM.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    posted 10-30-05 05:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 38  

Quote:

You were thinking about buying a new computer just so you can make your own scenarios?

Yes. My 6 year-old computer cannot handle AoE3 . Designing and playing custom scenarios are my main reasons for wanting to buy AoE3.

posted 10-30-05 05:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 38  
    Modify unit doesn't work properly? And they are not going to fix it? How the heck are we going to make scenarios?

~ LORD HYPERION × ESO Stats ~
    posted 10-30-05 05:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 38  
    ES, fix these bugs. Chat Contains, espiacally. This is ridiculous. Really, I used to have much more respect for ES- I stand by my opinion that AoM was really a better game only because of the quality work that went into it.

AoE3 is damn fun, but you can tell right away ES didn't put as much effort in adding the icing to the cake- there are too many things missing in this game.

Including triggers.

posted 10-30-05 05:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 38  
    I really do hope that someone fixes the bugs in the editor. Whether it be ES or a really good modder, I don't care. And if I have to PAY ES to fix it, I will be willing to help support their design team.
    posted 10-30-05 07:43 PM EDT (US)     14 / 38  
    One thing about bugs is that you can't test on every platform. I've had errors that others haven't had and undoubtedly vice versa, that's why patches take time as well as the thought process. The fact that I still see ES guys on is great, and not only on forums, but in the game, so it's just a matter of time.
    posted 10-30-05 09:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 38  
    If there are flat-out bugs with the editor, just report them and we'll put them in the hopper to be fixed. That doesn't guarantee a specific timetable for a fix, obviously, but we will look at it.

For example, I'm not sure what the camera pitch bug is (didn't know there was one) and I'm not sure what triggers are missings (since we ported over every Titans triggers and added a bunch). Let us know what you guys want fixed and we'll look at it fixing it.

I don't recall who made the infamous "Don't expect a patch for the editor" statement, but I'm pretty sure they were referring to it being unlikely that we would be adding hordes of new features to the editor, etc. But, if there are bugs that are killing it for you guys, we want to fix those.

dave

posted 10-30-05 09:35 PM EDT (US)     16 / 38  
    I sure hope they fix some of the major bugs in the editor. The editor is one of the reasons why I brought this game.

-SilDis

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
    Proud member of Ambition Designs
    posted 10-30-05 10:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 38  
    Thank you for replying, Bigdog!

Quote:

If there are flat-out bugs with the editor, just report them and we'll put them in the hopper to be fixed.

To save you time, here is a thread on editor bugs that many people have encounter.

Quote:

For example, I'm not sure what the camera pitch bug is (didn't know there was one)

Bigdog, in AoM:TT, there were these commands to turn on/off the camera pitch limiting:

Quote:

/// Toggle camera limiting/// Get to a camera limit valid viewing angle but with camera limit off

map("control-alt-c", "editor", "cameraLimit")
    map("alt-shift-c", "editor", "cameraLimit(1) cameraLimit(0)")

AoE3 also has these commands, but they don't work. Without them, it's not possible to change the camera angle. And as the result, the cool aspect of movie making in AoE3 is pretty much out the door . Could this be patch, please?

posted 10-31-05 00:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 38  
    On the camera thing, it's possible those got nuked in the final build as part of our security/anti-cheating pass. I'll look into it.

dave

posted 10-31-05 01:16 AM EDT (US)     19 / 38  
    Hey Bigdog,

I think the biggest bugs are related to the Modify protounit and the Chat Contains conditions and effects.

Modify Protounit doesn't seem to work at times, or doesn't work at all for some units, and Chat Contains is a completely useless condition because it doesn't even work.

We also can't pitch the camera at all, the editor always brings us back to 'test.scx' instead of our original, so when we come back from a test, it's all black and we have to reload our own scn again.

Also, Player LOS is bugged, and for some reason, we can't disable the player from seeing 'Gaia' units like trees.

Lots of other bugs. Not to mention the whole we can't play mplayer scenarios online thing.

posted 10-31-05 02:55 AM EDT (US)     20 / 38  
    Thanks ES_Bigdog!
    Like my comrades, I'm hoping that the Modify Protounit (Effect), the Chat Contains (Conditions and Effects), and the Camera commands and pitch limiting issues can be fixed.

Also, the 'Render Sky' Effect is bugged and needs fixing.

Great post Reinfire!

"I take it that this is the Anastasia Scud pines for?" - Epic Commander
    "What Ana said. Use sugar and the whip." - aka the Pilot
    "I think you will realize the emphasis was on Ana and Cake." - Monk
    posted 10-31-05 05:28 AM EDT (US)     21 / 38  
    Great thread .
    posted 10-31-05 11:09 AM EDT (US)     22 / 38  
    I will like to thanks everyone for this topic, especially Reinfire.
    Also ES Bigdog for hes time and answers.
    I haven't find any replay to this topic about the missing ending game feature, so i want to add this to the list.
    In AOM we had some kind of standard scenario winning feature that could be enable or disable in Scenario Data into the editor.
    This is missing complectely in AoE3 editor and this is making a scenario not to end (winning or loosing). Also there is no trigger to set this in the editor and is making the scenario incomplete.
    Please add this feature, or make it work, ES.

Best regards,

Xamolxis

posted 10-31-05 11:10 AM EDT (US)     23 / 38  
    I met "BigDog" at E3 a couple of years ago. He's a really nice guy, and I would put money on it that if he says ES wants to make the editor work for all of us that ES will pay serious attention to our requests. We just have to be a bit patient. In the meantime, there are some very intelligent designers in our midst who are finding some decent workarounds to these and other issues.

:Z

Fly, you fools! The Zman cometh!
    "And a mighty TSUNAMI swept them all to sea..."
    posted 10-31-05 11:49 AM EDT (US)     24 / 38  
    Thanx for the reply Bigdog, and the other forummers too

I was afraid that ES didn't care about the editor at all, and putting all of their focus into getting ESO2 right.

Reinfire
    --Retired Scenario Designer--
    Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
    posted 10-31-05 12:28 PM EDT (US)     25 / 38  
    Don't Report Editor Bugs here, look at a sticky on the top which specifies an email address to report bugs.

And make sure what you think is a bug, really is a bug. For example, not being able to change camera pitch is not a big, its a feature which is not present.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » ENSEMBLE STUDIOS - please read
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames