Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tips for the New Players
posted 11-12-05 00:11 AM EDT (US)   
This is a short guide. Some of these principals do not always apply. Use your mind to find out the best thing to do in your situation.

Make as my settlers as possible.
I cannot stress this enough, because I know people that will only make 5-10 settlers a game. Next game, try to get at least 10 settlers on each resource, and observe your muchly increased production. I find a good amount of settler to have is 80 (30 farming, 30 plantationing and 20 chopping.)

If it suits you, raid.
Every once in a while, make 5 or so hussars and send them to your opponents base. Avoid defensive buildings and troops, just kill their settlers. When their military comes after you, run away.

Be ready for raids and attacks.
Often times you will chop out all your trees and send your settlers into more exposed territory. Either bring with them some troops (around 10 should hold the enemy off long enough for your settlers to escape), or build an outpost. Your settlers can garrison in the outpost and survive long enough for your defensive troops to come to their aid. Keep around 20 units in your base in case your enemy decides to attack you, which they should often do.

Dance.
I don't mean get up and shake it. It's kind of hard to explain, so I'll give an example. So your 10 mercanary cav archers are against your enemy's 10 skirmishers. You will win the battle, but take losses to your inreplaceable mercanary forces. Instead, when all the skirmishers fire at one of your archers and it get heavily damaged, reatreat it, and let them fire upon another one. When they do so, retreat it also. You should also rotate your damaged troops back in. This way, your guys will be damaged but you should take no losses. Just use your priests to heal 'em.

Be respectful.
Some people have th theory that if they use proper grammar everyone will think that they are a brilliant military tactiction and will not want to play you. It is just the opposite. If you say things along the lines of "OMGLOL i will hand u ur bum in a dysplay of onwage and u r teeh GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", you are degrading yourself.

Help your allies.
If your ally is attacked, help them unless they say not to. Oftentimes I will attack a player and beat him and/or her easily, and when I move on to him teamate's base it is crawling with "l33t units".

Hope this helped.

If you stereotype children as stupid flamers, I hate you, me being thirteen.

"Physical activity is for pansies. Real men play Age of Empires." - Me

You can rearange the letters in "mother in law" to spell "woman hitler".

Replies:
posted 11-12-05 00:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
The point about settlers is definitely the most important one. Every time I play against a noob, I try to explain to them the importance of settlers. A few key points...

Every second counts. Your town center should be producing settlers constantly. Any time that settlers are not being produced, you are letting your opponent get ahead of you.

Idle settlers. Leaving a settler idle is the same as burning 100 food. You should always be aware of what your settlers are doing, and be on the lookout for when goldmines or animals run out.

Stats. If you lose a game, look at the statistics on agecommunity.com. Every game is logged there with in-depth info about the players. Try to figure out what your opponent did better than you. Usually when you lose a game you will find that your opponent simply had more settlers than you (unless you got rushed). If your opponent gains an early economical advantage then the gap between you and your opponent will only get bigger as the game progresses.

posted 11-12-05 02:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Don't do drugs
Don't do drugs because drugs are bad, m'kay? And if you do drugs then you'll be bad, cause drugs are bad so don't do drugs, m'kay? And smoke you'll be bad because drugs are bad...m'kay? So, yeah drugs are bad.

"Hell is not place you go if you're not a Christian, it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition"
"Put you hands in the air like you've got the heat to you back / And shake your body like a baby, born addicted to crack"
both by Immortal Technique "Leaving the Past"
posted 11-12-05 08:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Might wanna say something about the ottoman villager limit

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Tips for the New Players
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames