General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some helpful tips for killing mercs
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-12-05 07:47 PM EDT (US)   
I've noticed on several forums ppl r complaining about mercs "owning" them etc. So here are a few quick tips for dealing w/ these nasty lil guys.

1. Mercs are roughly equivalent to 3-4 of their normal counter parts ie jaegers = buffed up skirms. You WILL take heavy losses against mercs, but this doesn't mean you are losing the battle. Hang in there!

2. Black Riders are probably the most used merc unit & for good reason. They counter Curassier/cav, snack on dragoons and have high melee armor. Your best bet for bringing them down are concentrated fire from ranged units as they will just "shoot and scoot" against melee units.

3. Jaegers also utilize the "shoot and scoot" bonus from careful micro so cav isn't particularly effective against them unless you can hit them from two sides. I've found xbows to be cheap 3rd age counters for bringing them down.

4. This "should" be common knowledge, but NEVER EVER fight mercs w/ a unit that the mercs get a bonus against ie swiss pikemen vs uhlans.

5. Since mercs have such high Hp a good player will watch them carefully & pull wounded mercs out of battle to be healed. Concentrate your fire on ONE merc at a time so you ensure that you will KILL it. This way your opponent doesn't have a chance to heal them.

6. I find it preferable to throw large amounts of "junk" troops at mercs rather than smaller amounts of elite units. This is because mercs are as "elite" as units get and so in a 1v1 fight will always beat your top units (provided your unit doesn't have a significant bonus vs them). Masses of cheap troops can swarm mercs and concentrate ALOT of focus fire on individual mercs. Since mercs can only attack 1 unit at a time most of your units are free to FF them to death.

7. Ok, you know your opponent likes using mercs so you raid his gold pits, but he STILL gets his mercs out, how? He's shipping gold from the hc. If someone is going for mercs, chances are they will get at least 1 batch of them out. Don't be surprised, just expect it.

8. Rushing someone who is going for mercs isn't a great idea. A true rushing economy is very lean so if your enemy gets his mercs out you may not have enough resources to deal w/ the threat + his mercs WILL take down your tiny forward base leaving you w/ out the ability to produce units until you rebuild them.

9. Mercs take up ALOT of population. Use this to your advantage. While your larger force is trying to combat his mercs, RAID him! Picking off just a few villagers every couple of minutes can win you the game.

10. Some players hit and run w/ their mercs and will frustrate you greatly. Walling off choke points early can help negate this threat while towers allow you a quick garrison option and enough time to get your quicker units over to help.

11. Skirmishers are your friend. These guys are merc killing machines. They can "shoot n scoot" and their focus fire is lethal even against artillery. They are probably your best anti merc option when correctly micro'd.

12. My last point is map control. If someone is specifically going for "fast mercs" then their econ is usually very small and clustered closely around their starting tc. Use this to your advantage and try and secure key resource locations w/ towers/walls/troops/buildings.

I hope this helps some of the players who have been having trouble against merc intensive strategies.

-Zifnab

Replies:
posted 11-12-05 07:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Great tips .
posted 11-12-05 08:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Just basicly concentrate fire...but sure the other things work too...
posted 11-12-05 10:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
Actually, if someone is going mercs, imho opion you should go t2 skirmishers (if availibe) or if not availible, raid with like 3 hussars, get to t3 not too much later, and make skirms.
posted 11-12-05 11:40 PM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
What are these Mercs? I play as Dutch, do they get any mercenaries?
posted 11-12-05 11:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Every one gets mercs there a HC card at the port.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )Say hi to the bunny!
"Once they have vaginas, they'll take over the world.-Cy Marlayne on the subject of robots.
posted 11-13-05 00:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
You can unlock various Mercenary cards at the Harbor after your city reaches level 10. They are very powerful units that can only be obtained through shipments, usually for ~1000 gold for 8-9 of them.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 11-13-2005 @ 00:05 AM).]

posted 11-13-05 01:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
i'm planning on a dutch merc rush, basically getting to age 3 with 4 banks, n walling off my base by age 2 with some skirms to def, later get the mercs out n attack all together...

but i'm still working on it for now...

posted 11-13-05 02:29 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Sounds good?

Turtling doesn't work...though I heard matty turtle/booms.

posted 11-13-05 02:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
Play Ottoman, if anyone fast fortersses vs me I often find myself winning an easy game and having a bit of fun stealing their crates with villies. xD
posted 11-13-05 06:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
but the mercs card in harbor section are they only available when on water maps? i mean, can i only get them when i have a speciall ship or something?
posted 11-13-05 07:26 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
You can get mercs on any maps. You just buy the card and when you want to use it you pay a bit of gold when clicking it. All civs get them after level 10, the germans get some cheap (well cheaper) age 2 mercenaries aswell before they reach level 10.

These tips are great (although a bit annoying since I'm currently playing as germans). A lot of tips that are just common sense in there, but they are often the most important.

posted 11-13-05 08:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
A few things:
1. Dragoons are also pretty effective against Black Riders-probably most effective besides your own Riders.
2. You do make it sound like Skirmies will own any merc army, just so people reading this dont take that as written in stone, Heckapells will eat Skirmishers, so if you see a pack of them..whatever you do dont send Skirmies after them lawl xD You do not want to send Skirmies after melee cavalry (Stradiots, Heckapells, etc).

Ill serve your ass like John McEnroe
posted 11-13-05 11:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
cannons are the simple solution, especially against infantry mercs. not even a jaeger or a highlander can take a hit from a cannon. as for the black riders or cavalry ones, they wont survive that many hits either.

even easier, is to flank them. then they wont be able to get away. or will have to run through your troops to.

if u have no cannon, concentrate fire. even mercs cant keep taking fire.

posted 11-13-05 12:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
thanks for the tips
also which civilization gets the best mercs besides the germans
posted 11-13-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Also above it was mentioned that rushes aren't a good idea, but maybe if you are positive taht your opponnet is indeed going mercenaries, then you should rush, pikes/grenaders can kill his houses (take these down, no pop = bad) and his towncenter if you get like 10+ grenaders, 15+ pikes.

[This message has been edited by Stophon4 (edited 11-13-2005 @ 12:52 PM).]

posted 11-13-05 02:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
nope, they appear just like any other units, though you'll need to defend your water flag if you want the privateers,effecitvely the first mercs, they are the only ones lower than a level 10 HC.
posted 11-13-05 04:56 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  

Quote:

Turtling doesn't work...

that is very unfounded and not true at all...

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 11-13-05 07:38 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
i agree, if u cant break through a turtlers' defenses or cant kill him with your rushes. good chances r he's goin to retaliate with a much stronger force soon, if he's good.

and i don't think one shld just use a merc army alone. i've done it once, against a friend on direct ip, i used a age4 merc army, whereas he swarmed them with all his units. i had thought my mercs were dead for sure,but they managed to kill all n a few survived.

imo, if you are able to make a merc army (for me, dutch wld be good) combine it with support units n artillary, wld be a powerful force. of coz u must be able to survive the raidings n rushes.

posted 11-13-05 10:46 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
If your a good turtler you can beat a rush anyday :P

If the rusher is just all around better than you, you may lose, but if your eqeal, I would lean on the side of the turtler.

posted 11-24-05 11:34 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
I disagree, unless your a good rusher, you can't beat a good rusher. If your a good turtler AND rusher, you CAN beat someone who is just a good rusher.

Anyway, back on topic. I would just like to mention that the Germans can make 214 Mercs for 3000 Coin. It's tough to do, but I think it's possible to get all of them in one big group if you kill off your settlers after age V.

posted 11-24-05 05:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
Good Tips. But cant the opponent with the mercenaries do the same thing such as cocentrate fire right bak at u.
posted 11-24-05 08:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  

Quote:

Good Tips. But cant the opponent with the mercenaries do the same thing such as cocentrate fire right bak at u.

Yeah, and you'll lose one unit every volley. They'll also lose one unit, but it'll be a much more valuable one.

The best fun I ever had was fighting using highlanders against normal musketeers. Every time a highlander was hurt badly, I pulled it back. Zero losses and frustrated my opponent to no end!

posted 11-25-05 03:17 AM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
Best way to beat mercs is to hire merc. Concentrate fire? he splits in two groups then you lose 2x units each round.
posted 12-28-05 12:30 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  

Quote:

Yeah, and you'll lose one unit every volley. They'll also lose one unit, but it'll be a much more valuable one.

The best fun I ever had was fighting using highlanders against normal musketeers. Every time a highlander was hurt badly, I pulled it back. Zero losses and frustrated my opponent to no end!

when you say pull them back, are you pulling them back to healers? or do mercs heal on their own?

posted 12-28-05 01:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
hackapells are really risky Mercs :<
You _have_ to keep close tabs on them because basically they only are mad against Villagers (and maybe Xbowmen)

Skirms though are (when numbered) pretty hard to take down since hackapells don't have that many HPs.
(they do have the coolest 'native' taunts )

to add something on topic:
Mercs aren't counterable just mass an Army and the best army to mass is one of skirms. (Except against stradiot / Spahi)

[This message has been edited by Sicario (edited 12-28-2005 @ 01:21 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Some helpful tips for killing mercs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames