General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Why Longbows Need Help
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-05-05 01:41 AM EDT (US)   
Let me preface this by saying that I started with the British. I had faith they would be true to their historical primacy, or at least have a shade of resemblance. After 26 grueling HC levels of getting a boot in my face, I've given up. Musketeers are too easily counterable, which leaves me with longbows. Sadly, these archaic ranged fighters are sub-par. Here's why:

1: They can't skirmish. That is, they can't fire and run. Every ranged unit in the game can fire-move-fire. Not the Longbow. He has to turn and face the enemy, sit down for a quick picnic, talk about the weather, butter his scone, eat it by chewing 40 times per bite, stand up, slowly and leisurely pull back the bow and fire. Repeat. So the Longbowman gets to use the advantage of his range maybe ONCE before the enemy has ample time to move in.

2: The auto-attack is ineffective. The Longbow's advantage is supposedly range, but an enemy unit has to practically pick the longbowman's nose before he'll respond and fire. So the only way to get the Longbowman's advantage to work is to micromanage him and fire on the enemy in the first ten milliseconds he appears on the radar.

3: As if they weren't bad enough, if you want to upgrade them and give them shiny pants you have to invest in a homecity card. Everybody else gets their UU guard upgrades for free, but the Longbowman has to br given special attention. I'm surprised the balancing team didn't add an even simpler technology: Arrows - Allows the Longbowman to fire arrows...when he's darn good and ready. In the meantime he can do some pretty mean "Slapping" melee damage.

Longbows are a good counter to things like Janissaries and Skirmishers when, you know, you build a 100 of them. These deficiencies are ludicrous and keep the British down. I hope they're tweaked soon.

Replies:
posted 12-05-05 02:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
1: They can't skirmish. That is, they can't fire and run. Every ranged unit in the game can fire-move-fire. Not the Longbow. He has to turn and face the enemy, sit down for a quick picnic, talk about the weather, butter his scone, eat it by chewing 40 times per bite, stand up, slowly and leisurely pull back the bow and fire. Repeat. So the Longbowman gets to use the advantage of his range maybe ONCE before the enemy has ample time to move in.

AHAHAHAHAH that was funny

posted 12-05-05 02:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Longbows =/= Skirms. Fix the annoying range bupg, that's it.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
posted 12-05-05 03:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
Stop being logical guys, this chump only came here to blame his losses on the British being dodgy. Sure he could've swapped sooner. Sure he could've learnt how to use longbowmen, but let's not hold it against him that he isn't so good with them shall we?

Wait ... scratch that, he is hilarious and bad.

posted 12-05-05 03:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  

Quote:

Stop being logical guys

Stopped reading here.

@Fwiffo: What range bug?

Also, Yeomen should be a technology, not a shipment

★★★★★
posted 12-05-05 03:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  

Quote:

Stopped reading here.

@Fwiffo: What range bug?

Also, Yeomen should be a technology, not a shipment

The range in which they auto-attack is shorter than their actual range, so they stand still after 1 kill if the enemy isn't closer. Which shouldn't be. I think it was like 20 actual range, and 16 auto-attack.

(-speaker-)
:unsure:
posted 12-05-05 03:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
longbows have ungodly range, they trade bump and run for range.

put musketeers in front of them and you'll have an 80% chance of beating any troops on the field. if you are going to have to ru them from cav just leave them to die while fighting, at least they will deal damage while getting killed instead of fruitlessly being runned down.

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 12-05-05 03:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
Then why did you make 50+ longbows in that FFA game TGE? :P
You had Guard Muskets and veteran longbows...

(-speaker-)
posted 12-05-05 04:34 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
what do you mean why did I make them? I made them because they pwn as long as they have musketeers in front of them

I am really liking Brits now they are underdogs and I like under dogs

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 04:58 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
But you made like 60 longbows without any muskets. :P

(-speaker-)
posted 12-05-05 05:01 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
yeah that was like the 1st-2nd game as brits

Since I have learned better, but didn't I win that game?

or was that the one I was gonna win but the cat pulled my power cord?

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 05:07 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
Their their range is godly and their rate of fire is half of a skirm...they do have pathetic HP though. I wonder if the patch will fix the range bug it should take like 30 seconds per each unit that is affected.

"Hell is not place you go if you're not a Christian, it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition"
"Put you hands in the air like you've got the heat to you back / And shake your body like a baby, born addicted to crack"
both by Immortal Technique "Leaving the Past"

[This message has been edited by NightsDelusion (edited 12-05-2005 @ 05:08 AM).]

posted 12-05-05 05:17 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
OH! I remember that game where I was native rushed by ascalon then jan rushed by the other guy and made a decent comeback only to lose to Tascan lol

Yeah that was like my 1st brit game LOL was funny though I just wanted to try brits because they kinda suck and everyone else was spain french and ottoman lol I had a level 1 brit and was competing/beating lvl 20-40 HCs

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 06:15 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Lol yeah, and me and ascalon died, we stayed until you three were finished, it was so funny, you were like, pillaging the afterlife of Ascalon with grenades.

EDIT: Lol sorry for the amount of posts today, I'm home sick and ... bored.

(-speaker-)

[This message has been edited by VAL_The_Speaker (edited 12-05-2005 @ 06:20 AM).]

posted 12-05-05 06:25 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
I was killing Ascalon's HCs so I could build mine in those areas I was spread everywhere lol, I pwned one of tascans skirmisher/hackapell armies with longbows and a TC ROFL GG

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 06:41 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
ROFL, RagingBard, you're quite the funny one.

Quote:

Yeomen should be a technology, not a shipment

Agreed.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Welcome to Life, your vacation from nothing.
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
posted 12-05-05 08:03 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
Are you kidding me... Longbowmen are fine... They can even kill siege units...

They get 26 range when upgraded... Thats the same as a falcs... They are absoltely 100% fine.

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 12-05-05 08:04 AM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
    if it were a tech low level brits would = OP, card is needed for balance.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 09:14 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  

Quote:

They get 26 range when upgraded... Thats the same as a falcs... They are absoltely 100% fine.

One round of fire from bowmen = maybe a dead falconet. One round of fire from one or two falconets = all longbowmen dead.

Thats one risk I won't be taking as british!

posted 12-05-05 10:30 AM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
    While of course falcs do counter longbows the fact of the matter is longbows porbalby do the best vs em out of any light or heavy inf unit.... Ive lost quite a few falcs to longbows...

• posted 12-05-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  

Quote:

put musketeers in front of them and you'll have an 80% chance of beating any troops on the field.

Or not, because while the musketeers are being massacred up front, the longbowmen are standing way back not shooting, or in fact doing anything else.

I'd say they were complaining about the weather, but they're in America now.

Here's hoping that auto-range gets fixed next patch. Still going to play Brits when i get the full version mind you. I would feel vaguely unpatriotic playing as anyone else (especially you-know-who).

posted 12-05-05 04:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
    well I don't mean keep them THAT far back lol I mean far enough back that they can still bare down at range while the musketeers with their higher HP and melee attack takes the brunt of the attacks and can handle any melee units that try to halt the longbow's ranged attack.

When longbows start shooting things start disappearing, when they pull out their little knives longbows become fertilizer.

TGE

Able Company (my job)

posted 12-05-05 04:55 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  

Quote:

Or not, because while the musketeers are being massacred up front, the longbowmen are standing way back not shooting, or in fact doing anything else.

lol... move em up and u wont have a problem.

• posted 12-05-05 05:28 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
    The only thing they need to change (to me) is:
    Xbowmen stronger against Jans (10 xbows shooting at 1 jan and not killing him? ghey)

Native (730 life lakota? wtf do you counter with that? dopples are effective but completely destroyed because of lakota life advantage)

Matter eh? What else can It transport?? - Homer Simpson

I can't believe I missed the Victoria Secret Fashion show.

Dupsky ignore mode = ON

posted 12-05-05 05:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
    Yeah, as much as i hate doing it, i try to move the longbows a little closer, and at least they'll always shoot anything attacking the musketeers up close (like pikemen). They mainly get far behind when I've ordered an army to attack something like other musketeers. If i get distracted by the economy, the longbows shoot one musket, then do nothing else as the rest are out of their auto range. Doesn't happen often as the demo cpu seems to like rodeleros more than it should.

That being said, if i have time to micro the longbows, they remain effective (lethal even) at their maximum range. It doesn't cripple them, i just find it irritating.

posted 12-05-05 07:04 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
    Keep your longbowmen scattered throughout your town, between houses and such, when being rushed, it makes cavalry and musketeers/jans harder to cluster around and melee.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Why Longbows Need Help
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames