General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: House Placement
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-21-05 03:59 PM EDT (US)   
There is no perfect location to place a house, but I hope this guide will help you determine were you think the perfect placement is. (Formating of the post was slightly changed due to BB code formating instead of HTML, just click on the hyperlinks to go to the pictures that didnt display)

Building Shield: One idea that has crossed many gamers minds is if shielding more valuable buildings with houses is a good idea. Well I have ran a few tests for you. With a forty unit army consisting of twenty musketeers and twenty Janissaries I attacked a garrisoned town center. I sent the army in at one minute and the troops approached and began their siege.

The troops surrounded the town center and attacked.
[JPEG, (139.04 KB)]

Forty-two seconds later the Town center was completely destroyed and I only lost three units in the process.

However, the second time I tried using houses as shields (look at the pictures below for proper placement). With a forty unit army consisting of twenty musketeers and twenty Janissaries I attacked a garrisoned town center. I sent the army in at one minute and the troops approached but were diverted by the houses.

The houses blocked the troops and only allowed a few to be within range.

As the units moved around the houses to find places to attack the town center got “free” shots killing many units.
[JPEG, (142.69 KB)]

Because the houses were placed so closely together only half of the army could find a spot to attack .
[JPEG, (154.07 KB)]

So if the enemy sent one-hundred troops still only twenty could find spots to attack. After a grueling one minute and twenty seconds the Town center was destroyed and I lost 8 units in the process. That’s a 50% increase in the time it took to destroy the town center and I lost 62.5% more units in the process. This technique also increases the effectiveness of minutemen and other troops trying to defend the town center. As the enemy army circles the town center trying to get to your army you can attack them.
Technique summary:Use properly placed houses to help defend more important buildings. Best used with the British because of their great demand for houses early on.

House Wall: Using houses to divert raids is another good placement idea. By properly placing the houses around mills, plantation, mines, or even around the outside edge of a tree line you can divert an entire raiding force buying you a lot more time to react.
[JPEG, (144.00 KB)]
It can also be used a choke point for defending yourself. As troops move around the houses you will have time to get two to three more volleys off before they can confront you.
Technique Summary: Allows a player to easily evade a raiding force and can also be used as a choke point against non-ranged units. Best used by the French because of their settlers ability to fight back.

Early warning/LOS: Another effective placement idea is using the houses as a way to have LOS over a great area. It gives you enough time to move your troops to the location of the enemy.
[JPEG, (156.80 KB)]

Many players will simply avoid attacking the houses so don’t worry about losing them. If they do attack them even better for you…it will have his troops distracted as you move in to counter them. Best when used with gas lighting upgrade.
Technique Summary: Houses spaced and placed properly around the map gives a very large LOS. Can be used be every civilization well.

Other Methods: These methods don’t utilize the house for anything other than it was designed but they show practical ways to hid or place houses.
Along the Edge:
[JPEG, (139.74 KB)]
Houses can be discretely placed along the outer edge of the map. They take up a very minimal amount of space. They are also very time consuming for the enemy to destroy because their troops have to move to each house, which buys you time to recover from his/her attack.

Groups:
[JPEG, (138.96 KB)]
Houses placed in groups take up very little space. Again they take more time for the enemy to destroy because of very little exposed surface area.

Around the Area: Probably the best method for rushers is the “around the area” or time conscience method. Houses are placed wherever a settler happens to be. Even if that means at your forward barracks. Placement is completely random and takes very little time.

I hope you enjoyed the post!
Questions and comments are welcome!

[This message has been edited by turbo_supra (edited 12-21-2005 @ 04:03 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-21-05 04:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
Yep my friend uses this tactic.He is the russians and puts his houses and market like a wall.I'm going to start trying it.
posted 12-21-05 04:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
once rushed by someone, who soon sent grenadiers, they destroyed my houses so i was continually rebuilding houses. It isnt nice if they destroy your houses

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 12-21-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
This is a well- organized, comprehensive guide on house placement. I don't think it could be more complete. However, most of the strategies are already in use by most good players. The only one that I really disagree with is the use of houses for LOS. That's just asking someone to raid your houses, which is terrible for your economy. I wish AOE 3 had outposts, to use for LOS and early warning.

Note--- Houses placed like that give you an early warning, but if you don't have the population room to build more troops to counter the enemy attack because the enemy has razed all of your houses, then it is not worth it.

P.S.- I really like the "House Wall" and "Along the Edge" strategies. Also, I use the haphazard "Around the Area" method more than I should, but I also use the "House Wall".

AOE III/TWC: 1st Lieutenant
TAD: Master Sergeant (~30 Games Played)
posted 12-21-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
I know one of my first games my Dutch partner made buildings in the middle of the map to see when the enemy would attack.He placed some markets,churches and livestock pens.
posted 12-21-05 04:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
In your TC house wall, the first example of houses, have all those troops move inside the house wall by right-clicking a spot between the houses and the TC. Once the bulk of the troops are there, right-click the TC to burn it down.

In general, this is a better way to siege buildings with a mass of troops. If you just straight up right click the building, the first troops stop at maximum range, forcing the rest to move all over trying to get in range. Just bring the whole block in tight on the target and then pound it down.

posted 12-21-05 04:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
I like early warning/LOS for Caribbean. Makes sense, very useful. Assumes you can drive out invaders as soon as you spot them, though.
posted 12-21-05 04:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35  

Quote:

This is a well- organized, comprehensive guide on house placement. I don't think it could be more complete.

Agreed, this was a great guide and the pictures showed us the situation. Thank you, turbo_supra!

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 12-21-05 05:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
Here's another Technique:

Town Box:

Place all your unit production buildings in a row, next to your TC. Make sure they are flush against each other, leaving no room for troops to squeeze through. Unit producing buildings are TC, Barracks, Stable, Artillery Foundery, etc..

Now Place all your non-unit producing buildings, like houses, banks, Markets, etc.. in a paralel row to the TC's row. The goal here is to have a "main street" between the two rows of continous buildings. The main street should be as wide as a Mill.

Now fence off the two ends of the main street with walls, and put gates in. This method gives you maximum secure internal space for Vils, Infantry and other units, without spending much on defensive structures.

Adding in a pair of outposts really locks down the box. Also, the Box and all buildings are within gunshot of the TC. Defensively, all your buildlings only have 1 of their 4 sides vulnerable. Best of all in my opinion, newly created units are protected, very helpful when being raided and trying to ammas troops.

[This message has been edited by Diceclock (edited 12-21-2005 @ 08:50 PM).]

posted 12-21-05 05:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
It's easy to beat this. Just by keeping your army in position before attacking.

ie try that setup again but make the army move behind the houses. They'll stay in formation better and when you get to the TC, you'll have all within their siege range (1-6) and can start attacking sooner (even faster than the way you did against the open TC). That's the reason the army got lost trying to get thru the houses when you attacked. You attacked from further than the unit's siege range and the units tried to path their own way to the TC and started attacking at 6 range (which blocked other units).

You can even use that setup against them. Run behind the houses and get right next to the TC. The houses/TC act as a wall against the enemy melee units, not allowing them to surround the army.

You do the same thing in other games too like 20 Knights against a TC (there was empty space underneath the TC, you run under there and then start attacking - you get like 15 Knights attacking at once with only 5 or so needing find a spot to attack).

Pics here:

It only took one click to defeat the houses in a ring.

The rest is fine.

posted 12-21-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
^ that is what i always do, i never tell them to atack and then let them circle it, it dies so much quicker if you just move your whole army in, then attack, its like 2 secs longer before you attack, but then half your army is walking around getting in line to attack...

I do random house placement until ive got enough where its not like i need a house NOW or else i slow down my creations. Once i do that, i tend to do blockades aroung mills and plantation, just because it looks cool and it serves as a diversion before troops break onto the fields.

Its not over until I beat you sensless with my WTF stick.
The internet - where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
V:Would you... dance with me?
Evey Hammond: Now? On the eve of your revolution?
V: A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having!
posted 12-21-05 06:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
I prefer scattering them about, all around my town. They break up some armies, and cant destroy my pop limit all at once. And the house wall will only work for age 2, then artillery come and schoot over it.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 12-21-05 06:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
You know, I think thats what walls are for. But of course the walls are flawed for the fact that units can shoot through them, and I think they might be weaker than houses, not sure. But Its an interesting concept none-the-less. I like the LOS idea.
posted 12-21-05 06:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
yes, making houses used as a wall is a tactic used in the other aoe games. more effective there because of the
grid-lock. it can still be done here but its a little harder to do.

Check out my YouTube Page!
ESO - LO12DS_Fry
posted 12-21-05 08:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Can't get my damn links to work.

[This message has been edited by Diceclock (edited 12-21-2005 @ 08:54 PM).]

posted 12-21-05 08:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
The ring idea is dumb, since it also makes it more difficult for your villagers to get to the TC in the first place, and if it falls, to get out of there.

I do however like to use Houses as diversions and breakers. I find walls more effective for actual defense, but I will usually make my houses in a box around my Mills and Plantations, with a clear path to nearby Outposts and TCs. It is just a nervous habit from earlier Age games, minus AoM, the houses made horrid shields in that game.

As for using them as surveillance, an idea.

Also, Senor, units can fire through all buildings last time I checked.

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
"The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.
posted 12-21-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
Wow I love the building shield idea, that really is pretty neat. I may have to try that out.

Nice thread!

posted 12-21-05 09:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
The ring around a building would only be really efffective if you left no gaps, but that is useless for a unit production building because your troops cant leave. Would work nicly on towers or mills/plantations or if you really like your market/arsenal/capitol. Though perhaps one on the land side of a dock would be useful to prevent a land based atack and buy time for reinforcements
posted 12-21-05 09:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
(As above) Is a tc really that important to spend 500+ wood on a house wall? Brits would find this strat impossibly expensive, while Ports would hardly even care for the loss of a tc.

Overall great strat gj turbo.

(\__/)
(O,o )
(> < ) "In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have told barry his screensaver was an epic miniseries." - Wally

[This message has been edited by Chipmunkrage (edited 12-21-2005 @ 09:02 PM).]

posted 12-21-05 09:48 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
I quick note I would like to add...this is simply a "suggestive guide," i will leave the final decision up to you. And the "house ring" idea is easily countered when your enemy has no defensive troops, however if I had soldiers attacking you while you were "trapped" among the houses you would lose much more troops. Remember, it takes more than 10 seconds to move 40 soldiers in the circle and another 10 to leave so if I was hit-and-running with my soldiers you could not get to me in time even if your range was double my soldiers.
posted 12-21-05 10:52 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35  

Quote:

Remember, it takes more than 10 seconds to move 40 soldiers in the circle and another 10 to leave so if I was hit-and-running with my soldiers you could not get to me in time even if your range was double my soldiers.

It takes 3 seconds to enter, 3 to leave.

I don't ever go for TCs anyway. Unless I've already ensured the win or have direct counters. There are much better things to go after.

posted 12-21-05 11:05 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
I used to do this type of thing, but I soon realised it was much better to build your houses forward to give advanced notice of an attack.
posted 12-21-05 11:29 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
I'd like to point out what I think is the obvious: you can use walls for the same purposes, and a much, much lower wood cost.

I agree, houses should be on the outer edges of your main base. they are the cheapest things to replace. But if you are playing a defensive game, then walls would serve a better shield than houses...

posted 12-22-05 01:06 AM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
If your opponent, in his/her enternal wisdom used say CANNON or units with a BETTER RANGER, like skirmishers against Janissares you just killed yourself. A housewall is a nice idea on paper but a wall is way mroe powerful and economical.
posted 12-22-05 02:50 AM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
At last few posters who said use a wall:

The whole point of the house wall is to provide the benefit of a wall WITHOUT paying extra resources/villager seconds. Of course you can build a wall, but that eliminates the point.

Nice guide.

[This message has been edited by Echoic (edited 12-22-2005 @ 02:56 AM).]

posted 12-22-05 02:58 AM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
Sorry if this is just a bit off topic...

Turbo_supra, how do you access your screenshots? whenever I go to the screenshot folder, its blank. How do you access them? (Sorry if I ruined this topic of conversation)

Scotty the Fallen | One-time Angel Reincarnate, and Former BFME2H and TWH Downloads administrator, and BFME2 Strategy Administrator.
"And I shall go softly into the night, taking my dreams, as will you." - EoJ
"Scotty's probably the only forumer here who can make every post a defiant claim of his own superiority." - Atzy
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » House Placement
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames