Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Breakeven point: Gather Rate Techs
posted 01-26-06 04:22 AM EDT (US)   
When purchasing these techs you have to ask yourself two general questions. How much longer do I anticipate this game lasting? At what point do I expect it to be most critical that I have maximum resources invested in military? Based on this you can choose which techs to takea nd which not to.

I think the most important thing I took away from the numbers I crunched below is that it just might be more worthwhile to pick up gangsaw before you pick up hunting dogs

The following is an analysis of the payoff time of some gathering upgrades (settlers):

Hunting Dogs = 1.1*gather rate
Cost: 50 wood, 50 gold = 183.3 workticks
Repayment: 1833 workticks = 1539.72 food
That is once you've collected 1539.72 food off huntables the upgrade is now giving you a profit.

Steel Traps = 1.2*gather rate
Cost: 125 wood, 125 gold
Repayment: 1.25* that of hunting dogs. That is you must harvest 1924.65 food for this to have been a worthwhile investment.

Gangsaw = 1.1*gather rate
Cost: 100 food = 119 workticks
Repayment: 595 wood
It's interesting to note just how fast this one pays for itself.

Log Flume = 1.2*gather rate
Cost: 150 food, 250 gold = 595.24 workticks
Repayment: 1488.1 wood harvested

Placer Mines = 1.1*gather rate
Cost: 75 wood, 75 food = 239.29 workticks
Repayment: 1435.7 gold

Amalgamation = 1.2*gather rate
Cost: 200 food, 200 wood = 638.1 workticks
Repayment: 1914.3 gold

That was some quick edits. I'm sure I'll find more mistakes...

[This message has been edited by wyveric (edited 01-26-2006 @ 04:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-26-06 04:46 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Do you have the third Wood upgrade?
posted 01-26-06 12:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
sometimes, its a bit more of re-adjusting economical managemnet faults.

what i mean is, say if perfect play you will assign exact amount of vils on a particular resource to get the exact amount that you need. but we know this doesnt really happen, we always end up over gather certain resource by a bit and under gather some other resource by a bit.

so we invest the excess resource into researching faster gather rate for the one that we lack.

your stats are very helpful though. thanks.

posted 01-26-06 01:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
posted 01-26-06 02:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
oh, also due to fast in game inflation, 50 gold is not 50 gold in 2 minutes if you dont use it.

so at the start of the game if you have spare wood from treasures and have some staring gold, then it is a good idea to invest it into hunting dog.

posted 01-26-06 03:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Interesting.

Could you do the same with non-market econ techs?

For starters, see how long it takes for a plantation (no techs) to pay for itself in vill seconds. Please include the vill seconds it takes to get 800 wood, the vill seconds it takes to build, and then calculate how many vill seconds have to be spent on the plantation before it pays off the wood. (Remember to multiply the seconds by 10, because you will have 10 vills working the whole time).

Then you might be able to see how long certain plantation techs pay for themselves.

posted 01-26-06 05:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  

Quoted from Jabberwock:

Do you have the third Wood upgrade?

Circular Saw = 1.3*Gather Rate
Cost: 240 food, 480 gold = 1085.7 workticks
Repayment: 1809.5 wood gathered
This isn't as large a number as you would expect. Sure the cost of the third upgrade is high, but the 30% increased harvest rate pays back quickly.

Quoted from ultimitsu:

so we invest the excess resource into researching faster gather rate for the one that we lack

You raise a good point. It's sigificant to note that the resources cost to upgrade a gather rate are not the resource that it gathers. And indeed once you already have the resource (early game treasures that give you coin and wood) it's a sunk cost, and the opportunity cost of the resources is now what we consider. This reduces the real cost of the upgrade and therefor the effective breakeven point.

One can increase their stockpile of a particular resource one of two ways. One can shift more villagers to collecting that resource, or you can invest your other resources into increase the gather rate of the lacking. I'll try to come up with a way to analyse this relationship.

Quoted from majpain:

Depending on the huntables on the map I will only upgrade Hunting dogs.

Another good point. If the sum of available huntable food on a map is insufficient to warrant the upgrade I sure wouldn't do it.

Quoted from ultimitsu:

oh, also due to fast in game inflation, 50 gold is not 50 gold in 2 minutes if you dont use it.

so at the start of the game if you have spare wood from treasures and have some staring gold, then it is a good idea to invest it into hunting dog.

This is assuming you have nothing to spend those resources on. otherwise the argument that 50 wood/coin is more valuable now than later and that resources worth less later actually really would increase your perception of costs now and also decrease the value of your repayment later. I'm not quite comfortable factoring in inflation into this analysis. Not because I don't understand inflation, but because I'm not quite sure it should be considered at all.

Quoted from Gold Rust:

Could you do the same with non-market econ techs?

Yes, although that's some calculations I don't feel like doing right away. However, I'll give you a taste:

Ore Refining = 1.3*plantation rate
Cost: 600 food, 600 wood = 1914.3 workticks
Repayment: 6381 workticks = 3190.5 plantation harvested gold

And a final thought: Early game a person may be thinking of building a market for the sole purpose of the gangsaw and/or hunting dogs upgrades and at that point some of the 100 wood investment should be considered as part of the cost of these upgrades, increasing their repayment time.

Also it's Very Important to recognize that these resource workrates and comparative values are based on a 0.84:0.6:0.5 food:coin:wood gather ratio. This is not necessarly the relative worth of these resources. An awful lot more has to be factored in to determine this, all of which may depend on today's game.

[This message has been edited by wyveric (edited 01-26-2006 @ 05:53 PM).]

posted 01-26-06 06:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
[quote]
Early game a person may be thinking of building a market for the sole purpose of the gangsaw and/or hunting dogs upgrades and at that point some of the 100 wood investment should be considered as part of the cost of these upgrades, increasing their repayment time. [quote]

then you will also consider the fact that you get a good 20 xp for it.....

posted 01-26-06 06:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
Then we have to decide what the resource value of experience is... and that's getting complicated. How much exp per wood do you get from a house? This is something you might reasonably be considering as an alternative to your market. Still assessing the value of experience is tres challenging.
posted 01-26-06 06:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
for house, TP, market, you get 20 xp per 100 wood. except for brit, their house gets 20xp for 150 wood.

but xp needed for -> shipment increases for each shipment.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Breakeven point: Gather Rate Techs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames