You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Which army should I play?
posted 06-05-06 03:07 AM EDT (US)   
Okay, I know that many of you have amazing strats, know armies inside and out, and in general, roll people in games because of your superior ability.

Here's what I am interested in:

I've recently started seeing the potential in capping natives early and sending in a small group to harass.

I like hitting colonial early, then building a little to advance with a small army, capable of turtling until I am ready for age 3.

I want a fast civ that can gather quickly, but isn't extremely weak in combat.

I really like cav but with Brits (my current army) I love Grenadiers and Musks, mainly because of their single advancement card and capability in the battlefield for destroying buildings relatively fast.

---

With the small amount of information i've just given you, which army do you think would best suit me?

Honestly, I like Brits a lot, but i'm not sure if they're the best choice for me. I REALLY like how I get a free vil with each manor...it helps me boom very fast after I hit col.

Any advice / help / suggestions I receive will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies:
posted 06-05-06 05:27 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Russian seems like the civ for you, they have some very good colonial military shipments and they have grenadiers in colonial aswell. They can also boom very well and you mentioned that you like cavalry and russians got the coolest raiding cavalry. You can get some strelets to harass and then go to 3rd age, just as you mentioned.

Try them!

posted 06-05-06 07:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
Hi. New here. I read the subject line of this post and had to read it. I was halfway into the post when I realized I know NUH-thing about this game. Owned it a year already and only began delving this week. Anyway...(gulp, first post)...I was even more impressed by the response. That's all.
posted 06-05-06 11:13 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Britains are economically strong late game, they are just really tough to keep alive early game, particularly against rushers. But if you get a good manor boom going your unstoppable.

Russians or Britains.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 06-05-06 01:44 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Thanks!

I tried a Russian army for a little while, but I didn't really see the use in Strelets. That was also when I had first started playing and remembered AoE 1 where Horseman Archers owned faces, so I didn't want anything else lol.

I think i'll go back to my Russian army to see what it's like now.

Thanks

posted 06-05-06 06:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
First of all, welcome to the forums! (Pwnage I beat stonewall to it =D)

Russia seems for you. Don't listen to the handbook that says french get better natives, cause in reality, their "better natives" is next to nothing.

There's no such thing as a civ that can "gather quickly", but if you're talking about getting out a large amount of villies faster, russia kind of fits the bill as they spawn 3 villies faster than other civ's 3 villies.

Russia have good raiding cav and quite pop-effective cav, and also have ok good merc cav (opris + hackas = taunt 19 at all their vills). Their unique church gives them very strong cav (not many have talked about the power of bashkir ponies over pop cap, and kalmucks are always good to make up for lack of proper anti-cav cav). They do slightly lack in the age-up times and the late game unit effectiveness (1 factory), but they can get the insta inf, quite funny to watch. They also get colonial grens for a good finisher move if needed.

Don't listen to people who say Russia is UP btw, but at the moment lots seemed to have joined the russian bandwagon.

Stophon4's strat has gotten me very far in my russia gameplay, search it up sometime. Maybe it'll help you see the actual use in strelets. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Twinleaders (edited 06-05-2006 @ 06:09 PM).]

posted 06-13-06 02:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
I'v never liked russia. but from reading this i mite try them again. are they a good booming civ?
posted 06-13-06 07:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
Once Russia has a couple tcs up, they are arguably the best booming civ. Prior to that, their aren't that great.
posted 06-19-06 11:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
play the germans they are so good!!!
posted 06-19-06 11:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Seth, if you ever say that again I will shoot you

All we need is another German lamer

And to Nick, You would REALLY like the Russians
(I'm going to copy Ender's *'s)

*Opris own as raiding cav
*In Colonial you get an omgwtfhuge army, no matter how paper thin it is
*Cossacks are 1 pop! <<< I actually got beaten by [ES] TheMoonGoat because he could do suicide runs with his cossacks at my falcs.. ;((

[This message has been edited by Braenn (edited 06-19-2006 @ 11:22 AM).]

posted 06-19-06 05:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
y are u going to shoot me?
there awesome BEST CIV
posted 06-20-06 07:48 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Which is why you shouldn't start off as an OP civ

You gain a mindset that says I win 70% of my games, but it isn't because of skill, You don't get skill from a civ that requires none

A good civ to start with would be a good civ, but not OP, Ports/Ottos maybe

But Russia suits his mindset the best

posted 06-20-06 09:15 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
i would say be the british because apparently u like hussars and muskateerls which are the brits best units. also their becus of their manor house while u are getting pop room for an army u also get a settler to boost ure economy as well.
the thing i like the most is that their are many upgrades for muskateers (theres three cards and a shipment that givs special church improvements and one of those improvements is boost muskateer hitpoints). if u can get ure muskateers good bonuses and no how to use them, if u cna support them with some cav and a few canon u will rule the battlefeild. hope ive been of assistance, good luck!
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Which army should I play?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames