General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Which civ do you play?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-02-06 06:01 PM EDT (US)   
I wanted to get an idea of which civs people play because all I encounter in 1 vs. 1 are Brit and Otto (Russian too but I refuse to play them ).

So to get it started...

I play Spanish and French. French exclusively lately because they are so darn fun!

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!

[This message has been edited by dejanh (edited 10-02-2006 @ 06:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-02-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40  
dutch, port, and just started french.

i refuse to play spain.

"Choosing doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a form of movement."
~~~~Life of Pi
posted 10-02-06 06:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 40  
Dutch, Spanish and thinking about starting a third.

I refuse to play Ottoman.

posted 10-02-06 06:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 40  
Russia, always have and probably always will...

On a side note why do you refuse to play Russia? I think anyone who refuses to play any civ in this patch is just a rating horder, because the game is so well balanced. But you of all people, a Spanish player ("I play Spanish..."), refusing to play someone else? How can you possibly live with your own hypocracy?

posted 10-02-06 06:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40  
I think you should give me some respect for sticking with playing Germans on quicksearch against the constant jan rushing.
Either that or mock me for it.
It's always a happy unusual surprise when you manage to win one of those.

I also use France but not as much.

[This message has been edited by drahnier (edited 10-02-2006 @ 06:24 PM).]

posted 10-02-06 06:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 40  
<3 Russia
Almost enjoy playing as Germany but I certainly do worse with Germans than when playing with Russians. I respect drahier for his committment!

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 10-03-2006 @ 07:21 AM).]

posted 10-02-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 40  
I play Germans.

I play against any civ on any map and yes it lowers my rating but wth...

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 10-02-06 06:39 PM EDT (US)     7 / 40  
Dutch.

posted 10-02-06 06:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 40  
I play all civs. But my favorite civs are Spain and Portugal.
posted 10-02-06 06:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 40  
1v1
1. spain
2. dutch
3. germany

Team
1. russia
2. dutch
3. france

simply because 1v1 and team are sooo much different, and team is unbalanced to the point that if i dont play one of those civs i automatically lose...

i refuse to play ottomans and british.

pretty much my main are spain and dutch and sometimes russia......as that i cant play germany this patch without auto-losing....ES BOOST THEM!

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)
posted 10-02-06 06:46 PM EDT (US)     10 / 40  
Ports

ESO: Blu_Falcon
posted 10-02-06 06:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40  
Dutch
posted 10-02-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 40  
Wow steve, you play Spain but refuse to play otto or british??? What is it with you people??? Either you guys are trying to save the AOE community from us "lamers" (by using the most OP civ yourselves), or you guys care so much about your rating that you simply refuse to play any game in which there is a slight chance you will lose. Either case it is very sad.
posted 10-02-06 06:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 40  
Hold on, there may be some misunderstanding here... when I say "I refuse to play Ottoman", I mean that I won't use Ottomans myself. I do play against them, or any other civ.
posted 10-02-06 06:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40  
^ i dont refuse to play agaisnt them, i refuse to play as them, simply because i hate them...

BTW dont give me that lamer shit, russia is equally bad in team, and spain is my favorite civ, always has been since before 1.08 when everyone thought they sucked...

[FeaR]{KingSteve3721}
“I love my name of honor, more than I fear death.”- Julius Caesar
"The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"- Joseph Stalin
"The hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Dogs, would you live forever?"- Frederick the Great (addressing retreating Prussians at the Battle of Kolin)

[This message has been edited by KingSteve3721 (edited 10-02-2006 @ 07:20 PM).]

posted 10-02-06 06:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40  
Its funny, there is so much variety here, yet on ESO I never see it. Well keep posting, this is interesting to see

Quote:

On a side note why do you refuse to play Russia? I think anyone who refuses to play any civ in this patch is just a rating horder, because the game is so well balanced. But you of all people, a Spanish player ("I play Spanish..."), refusing to play someone else? How can you possibly live with your own hypocracy?

I'm not hypocritical at all. I've played Spanish since 1.04 I think (400+ games with them) so why should I give them up just because their shipements come too fast (and yes I admit that they come too fast, they should be set to something a bit lower). Having said that, I play French now almost exclusively since I find them a lot more fun than Spanish (and that includes games against Spanish players). If I play Spain, then I fight Russians, otherwise I don't play them. It has nothing to do with rating whoring just with the kind of effort I have to put in to beat any Russian player when compared to any other civ. Summed up, it's not worth it

Quote:

BTW dont give me that lamer shit, russia is equally bad in team, and spain is my favorite civ, always has been since before 1.08 when everyone thought they sucked...

Well I would not agree that they sucked before 1.08 However, I do agree with you, I don't play as Brits or as Russian and I most certainly don't "lame". Yes I will consiously avoid playing a Russian in 1 vs. 1 for the reasons mentioned above. However, sometimes I will play them. It's not exclusive. Any other civ I play so I hardly think that qualifies as laming, esp. since I use French now for most of my games

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!

[This message has been edited by dejanh (edited 10-02-2006 @ 07:01 PM).]

posted 10-02-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     16 / 40  

Quote:

always has been since before 1.08 when everyone thought they sucked...

Lol, Spain has never sucked... They were the number 2nd or 3rd best civ last patch, and the strongest in 1.06 and strong in all previous patches.

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 10-02-06 07:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 40  
I use Ottos and play vs any civ on any map.

GG

posted 10-02-06 07:07 PM EDT (US)     18 / 40  

Quote:

Lol, Spain has never sucked... They were the number 2nd or 3rd best civ last patch, and the strongest in 1.06 and strong in all previous patches.

You should of told that to the war wagons

Oh, My civ = port

And i never play brit or russia

posted 10-02-06 08:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40  
I'm playing Ottomans now, but I used to play as British, and, oddly enough, stopping playing them around the time 1.08 came out and they got the boost. I just find the Ottomans so fun.

And I'm unwilling to play mirrors with ottomans because everyone ends up using jannisaries and it gets boring. The same holds true with British and Longbows. If you use Musketeers in a British mirror, they'll get slaughtered by longbows.

Also, I'm unwilling to play against Russia as Ottomans, but I still do most of the time. I'm still looking for that perfect counter that I know is out there and I'm not skilled enough to find/ use. On this subject, I know that meleed jannisaries and abus guns and hussars counter strelets, but I've been encountering people lately who ship cossacks and strelets and mass muskets, so its either micro or bust and the vastly outnumbered thing has a little something to do with it.

P.S.- I wonder if I've opened a can of worms...

Smoke Rings Award Winner
Chill with me.
posted 10-02-06 08:14 PM EDT (US)     20 / 40  

Quote:

I think anyone who refuses to play any civ in this patch is just a rating horder, because the game is so well balanced.

Ha.

You should try playing a few games as Germany against Ottomans and see if you still feel that way.
Of course it's possible to win, i beat Ottomans too (mainly when i have natives), but you're gonna lose way more than you win.

I only really beat the ottos who suck and do stuff like not building trade posts, not guarding their vils, not raising my native TP and not building abus.
Even these shitty otto players are somehow captains though, which is strange because not all civs are as easy for them to beat as germany.

[This message has been edited by drahnier (edited 10-02-2006 @ 08:23 PM).]

posted 10-02-06 08:26 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40  
Portugal, 1v1 Amazonia only

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 10-02-06 08:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40  

Quoted from Just a Player:

Portugal, 1v1 Amazonia only

LOL.

I use Dutch, Portugal, and im starting Spain.

" Studies have shown that people who say "Gameplay>Realism" are less likely to find girlfriends or lead a successful, rational life in the real world.

To see these studies for yourself, please click here."

~ Cy Marlayne

posted 10-02-06 08:53 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40  
I switch between Dutch, Brits, Spain, and France depending on my mood

I hate playing against russians as any civ though. They are just so annoying >.>

Granted, Spain just kinda rolls right over them, but meh

posted 10-02-06 08:56 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40  
Spain on my GoWithTheFlow account.

British, Portugal , Russia on my I_Hydra_I account.

Porto is still favourite but I havnt used much since hte nerfage of 1.08.

Dislike germans + Dutch . (Playing as them).

Dislike playing against ottos but I will , and I use to play them.

French are good, well rounded , but quite unspectacular.

posted 10-02-06 08:58 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40  
I play French and French only

Vive la France

Zone Name= DeaconRien
Founding Father of the Deacon Empire

"I am the Dragon, before me you tremble"
-Francis Dolarhyde (Red Dragon 2002)

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Which civ do you play?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames