Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tashunke Prowlers - How They Work
posted 11-03-06 11:22 AM EDT (US)   
I was curious how the Tashunke Prowlers work. They are supposed to get stronger the more there are in a pack. While the UI shows the bonus hit points they get, it does NOT show how the Attack goes up (if it goes up at all), so I did some testing in scenario editor.

I gave myself 16 prowlers, and gave the opponent a bunch of rams (so they would just sit there and take the melee beating). I used one prowler to swing, recorded the damage, then deleted one Prowler and did it again. I went from 16 to 8 Prowlers before getting bored :P

The results -
First - the radius of the pack is not huge. It's hard to measure exactly, but it appears to be maybe 50% bigger than a Fortress.

10% more attack (1.5 damage/swing) per prowler nearby.
5% more hits (8.5) per prowler nearby.

So the formulas are -

Attack = (1 + (n-1)*0.1)*15
Hits = (1 + (n-1)*0.05) * 170

where n = number of Prowlers in a pack. It's n-1, because 1 Prowler does not benefit itself (tested and confirmed).

The Damage Dance of the firepit DOES work on the entire attack value -

8 Prowlers
1 Prowler swings at Ram with no Damage dance = 25.5 damage
1 Prowler swings at Ram with Damage dance (30%) = 33.25 damage (it did 33 damage 3 swings and 34 one swing).

33.25/25.5 = 1.30, or 30% more damage.

I have not tested whether the Tashunke effect only works on Base Damage/Hits, or upgraded (if you sent cards or researched techs to upgrade those stats. The Tashunke does not have a normal upgrade at higher ages.)

My conclusion is that the Prowlers must be massed to not be useless. Even then, a full squad of 12 has the following stats-
225 resource 2 Pop unit
31.5 Attack 2 splash area
263.5 Hits
Can Stealth.

Elite Axe Rider
200 resource 2 pop
43.75 Attack
315.5 Hits

They both have 10% ranged resist. So for 2/3 the cost I can have Curaissiers... with half the hit points, get weaker as they die off, but stealth.

Ya.

Stealthed raids might be good... but building fire is an issue for their low hit points.

Replies:
posted 11-03-06 11:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I just used the Tashunke Prowlers in a game. Use the stealth ability (they still have a decent speed with the stealth ability on) and ride them into the enemy town. Find villagers, that is the key. Prowlers murder villagers like oprinicks. I had 5 prowlers and I killed 7 villagers chopping wood before all of my prowlers died.

Their splash damage is really noticeable, far more so than a skull knight. They do cost alot though (well, all Sioux cavalry cost a ton).

TAD ROX
posted 11-03-06 11:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
I like to use them for raiding unsuspecting gold miners who are away from town but don't attack farms near tc's, then ur doomed

Member of TmC
Visit us at www.tmc-clan.com
My TWC stats
posted 11-03-06 12:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10  

Quote:

I like to use them for raiding unsuspecting gold miners who are away from town but don't attack farms near tc's, then ur doomed

I remember you using them on me and me saying "Either I am stupid or those things have stealth..." And you said "Both."

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 11-03-06 01:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
I love it when villagers are miles away from the towncenter chopping wood. Bring in 10-15 T prowlers and you've just eliminated the enemy's income of wood

TAD ROX
posted 11-03-06 04:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
42 attack
323 hp

when you have FULL 18, also cav upgrades boost these, so u can have them do 54 damage whit attack ups, and 70 whit fire dance.
if warchiefs card attack aura gives 20% it makes total attack whit fire dance 81, and if its 30% then it makes 86 attack.

that 70 hand attack is possible on age 3.

(also hp can be 419 at fortrress)

posted 11-03-06 04:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
I love prowlers. Bit by bit they chew away at your opponents vills. And before you go from stealth to attack you can position them in the perfect way so it'll obstruct the vills the most. I would really love it for the limit to be infinite but the increased HP and attack bonus stops after 20 or so prowlers. Something along those lines.

Previously known as MoNo Ager
posted 11-03-06 06:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
That is why Prowlers are so much more annoying than other stealth units when you're on the recieving end. When you bring your army over to see what happened, that Prowlers are long gone or hiding nearby.

TAD ROX
posted 11-03-06 06:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
How do you turn on their stealth ability?
posted 11-04-06 00:28 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
Chances are you don't have your advanced formations on. Go to game options and then scroll down until you find the "Turn On Advanced Formations" button. Click it and then you'll have all the good stuff.

I don't know why ES made it so you can turn that off. Seems stupid, because who would turn off the advanced formations?

TAD ROX
posted 11-07-06 08:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Excellent work man. You saved me some time testing. I was about to do this for my TWC Guide soon to come out. I just did it for hit points but the damage output is a much larger job. By the way, the range is 20.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Tashunke Prowlers - How They Work
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames