General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AOE3 TWC Quick Reference Guide
posted 11-19-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)   
EDIT: UPDATED 06/16/2007

Fixed many typos and organized worksheets more efficiently. May have been some added content but I cannot remember. This is the latest and greatest.

EDIT: UPDATED 03/17/2007

Changes made:
1.) Applied the nerfs and bonuses in Patch 1.03 as well as a updated bug list.

2.) Changed the organization of the “Units – Pets” worksheet and fixed a few issues in the “Units – Minor Natives” worksheet.

3.) Added an arsenal upgrade technology summary and a church technology summary

4.) Updated the Map Summary to include the statistics on the new map, Ozarks

EDIT: UPDATED 01/19/2007

1.) More detail to Fire Pit Big Button Upgrades

2.) Includes Native Fire-Travois & Gift Dance Comparrison

3.) All Patch 1.2 and 1.10 changes

DOWNLOAD: AOE3 TWC Quick Reference Guide
DOWNLOAD: AOE3 Quick Reference Guide (for those of you still playing vanilla)

ONLINE: On-line TWC
ONLINE: On-line AOE3

This is a comprehensive spreadsheet covering all of the major aspects of the real time strategy game, Age of Empires III (AOE3) expansion pack, The War Chiefs. Anyone serious about learning this game needs this workbook. It is filled useful information gathered from various forums and the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\proto.xml" file. I started off wanting to learn the rock / paper / scissors aspects of the game but I keep finding bugs and could not quit. I have updated this guide throughout the patches and copied lots of useful guides from various forums (giving credit where credit is due) and edited the guides to make them in the same format and translated from English to English in some circumstances (if you know what I mean).

Before I go any further, I would like to especially thank a fellow clan member MNBob for his initial research. When I created the first guide for vanilla (over 2.2K downloads), I did not know about his spreadsheets and spent a lot of unnecessary time testing. On this version, I used a lot of his information and used the old copy and paste feature on new units, HC cards, and buildings to save me some time (not to mention a few direct questions). So go ahead and throw away the user manual supplied with the game, I promise you, ES should be paying me for this.

The guide includes:
General Links
Known Bugs (Many I Found And Submitted Creating This Guide While Testing)
Acronyms
Cheats
Default Hot Keys and Taunts
Building Train Times
Defensive Structures & Building Summary
Experience Guide
HC Level Progression and How to Edit Single Player Files
Healing and Repairing
Home City Shipment Guide with Prerequisites for Europeans & Natives
Map and Native Indian Guide (with Technologies)
Map Summary
A Market Analysis
Miscellaneous Notes
Native Civilizations Big Button Technologies
Native Fire Pit Analysis
Politicians
Power Rating System Description
How to Read Players Scores
Resource Rate Gathering Times
Resource Rates for Herded Animals
Revolution and Unit Analysis
Starting Conditions (Crates and Settlers)
Strategies (I Will Include More in Time)
Treasure Guide
Unit Classification and Counters
Unit Train Times
Unit Statistics (including upgrades) for Mercenaries, Minor Natives, Pets, and all Playable Civilizations

For those of you who do not have Excel and do not want to read every post, here are some suggestions from other users to view the reference guide. I personally have not used either of these but they look good. This is a free Excel viewer that allows you to view but not edit:
Excel Viewer 2003

OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.
Open Office

While there is a lot of great information, the guide is not perfect. There is still some information I need in order to complete it (see questions below), there may be some typos as I am the only editor, or perhaps something is just wrong that I missed in the new patch. I have already spent a lot of time working on this so I am kind of burnt out on testing and want to actually play the game. If anyone finds an issue, writes a useful guide and wants it included (with credit of course), appreciates a complete compendium, and would like to share it with fellow gamers, contact me and I will make the changes and post a new version. In particular, the information in the Map Summary is incomplete. If any of you guys know this information, please give it to me and I will post an update. Thanks in advance...

For those of you who do not have Excel, do not want to download a free viewer, but still want to access the spreadsheet, I have converted it to an .html file on my website (see signature below). I would like to warn you that it does not look as good. The interactive features (i.e. calculators) do not function in this version (due to the .html). It was either have all the cells formatted and no interaction, or interaction with no formatting. Since the majority of this spreadsheet requires reading but no inputs, I decided to keep the formatting. It is sad Microsoft forces you into those choices but those are the only options I am aware of. I highly suggest the above link and use this as a last resort only.

On a side note, I will not do any direct advertising on this site but the clan I joined is always looking for new members. There is no skill requirement but there is a strict requirement of not being an a$$hole. If you have never considered cheating, playing rudely, and married with children (or mature for your age), give me a holler to become an applicant. There is a link to the clan website on the front page of the Guide. I guarantee you will learn something and have an endless supply of un-rated games to practice.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

-TAD GUIDE: AOE3 TWC TAD Quick Reference -or view online: On-line
AOE3 TWC TAD UNIT COMPARISON SPREADSHEET: Unit Comparison Spreadsheet

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 06-16-2007 @ 06:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-19-06 12:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
you deserve a statue

thanks!

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 11-19-06 01:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
sweet, now I don't have to do my own research digging through native techs

"Speedy Halberdiers just own things" ~TarsTarkas
posted 11-19-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Nice work again

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 11-19-06 08:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Very Nice!

Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb ich steig dir nach das Sonnenlicht den Geist verwirrt ein blindes Kind das vorwärts kriecht
weil es seine Mutter riecht
Ich finde dich
posted 11-19-06 09:38 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
excellent job

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 11-19-06 10:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Man... how many times can I thank you for these incredible reference guides? This stuff is just great. If anyone is reading this and hasn't downloaded this guide... well... download this guide.

Great job as usual!

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
posted 11-20-06 05:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
I have downloaded the zip-file 1,58 MB, un-zipped it 2,95 MB, I have excel but can't open it compleately. It start with TWC-brand and some introduction. After cell number 75 there is nothing. What do I do wrong?
Jarl Helge Vidoya
posted 11-20-06 06:39 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26  

Quoted from Jarl Helge Vidoya:

It start with TWC-brand and some introduction. After cell number 75 there is nothing.

Note that there are many tabs along the bottom leading to other subsections of the guide. You should see categories like "AoE3 bugs", "Acronyms & Icons", "Cheats", etc. Clicking these tabs will take you to the different subsections, so give that a try. There are about a million of these tabs, so also be sure to use the small arrows at the bottom left of your screen to make sure you don't miss any categories.

Good luck!

Strategies:
posted 11-20-06 08:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
That's exactly what I waited for ;-)
First MNBob with the Unit Stats and now the TWC Quickref.
I went only online to look for this .. and right !!!

That's good entertainment !

Thanx alot !

posted 11-20-06 09:56 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
good work baby
posted 11-20-06 02:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
It need just one thing and it would descripe every thing the game worth knowing! And for you who wonder what it needs, its telling what mercenaries you get for each map.
posted 11-20-06 07:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  

Quoted from Rion:

It need just one thing and it would descripe every thing the game worth knowing! And for you who wonder what it needs, its telling what mercenaries you get for each map.

That is actually covered in the Map Summary and Maps and Native Americans worksheet already. The outlaws are constant map per map and all maps have a random chance of producing two of the following: BlackRider, Corsair, Elmeti, Fusilier, GreatCannon, Hackapell, Highlander, Jaeger, Landsknecht, Mameluke, Manchu, Ninja, Stradiot, or SwissPikeman.

The Map Summary is not complete however. I took the map summary idea from http://www.aoe3db.info/articles.html (click on Map Guide) and added a few things like outlaws on each map. It is great for AOE3 Vanilla but needs more information. I emailed the author but got no reply. I do not have the time to test each of these maps. If anyone knows the answer, post it here and I will include it in the next patch.

Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way!................CYCLOHEXANE'S FREE GUIDES:

See other guides, technological advancements, interviewing tips, and more at my website All Things Miscellaneous
posted 11-20-06 07:10 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
Is it any wonder that Psychohexane and OCDBob are in the same clan!

If it wasnt for these two, work would be completely boring!

posted 11-21-06 10:29 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
I agree completely. This guide rocks. Man, it pwns!

Integrity - Honor - Courage
The dream of "MadCrazyMoFo's" ( MCMF ) and "The 10th Kingdom" ( _10k_ ) lives and breathes within me.
posted 11-21-06 06:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
under "AOE3 BUGS", the British Estates card is supposed to slow the train time of settlers at the TC. But still this is the best guide EVER.

[This message has been edited by the_killer23 (edited 11-21-2006 @ 06:19 PM).]

posted 11-29-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
MODS: Is it possible to get a sticky on this so it is easy for me (and others) to find. I plan on posting an update in the near future with some of the errors other forumers have found.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 11-29-2006 @ 07:44 PM).]

posted 11-29-06 09:03 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
awesome job and work man!!

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 11-29-06 09:21 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
I'd second a sticky... I had to hunt this down just today and was hoping it was stickied.

Strategies:
posted 11-29-06 09:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
we are getting sticky crazy

[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 01-19-07 07:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
Just a bumb to make the update more noticeable. Please post comments here.

The biggest change is a spreadsheet that calculates the free travois dance versus collecting wood and using them to spam buildings for XP versus the Gift Dance.

posted 01-24-07 11:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
Just a quick note. I was able to get the Water Dance card with the Aztecs before level 10 HC (in SP at least). My Aztec HC in SP is at level 7.
posted 02-05-07 08:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
Cyclo, check "Gathering Guide", I have some updates for you if your not already aware

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 03-15-07 01:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
Hey,

AMAZING GUIDE, I use it all the time. Thanks so much for taking the time to put it all together.

I have only noticed one error: under Firepit, Healer Dance, you have listed that it takes 210 seconds for 1 settler to spawn a healer. The correct number is 473 seconds.

posted 05-02-07 00:02 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
Updated and upgraded. As close to perfect as ever. The same link will download the new file.

Cyclo, check "Gathering Guide", I have some updates for you if your not already aware

That is the problem with stickies, I missed my own replies as well in the comments above, I will look into those. Now that they are no longer stickied, but a link, it will be easy to see when there are replies.

EDIT: I made all of the corrections listed above (healer dance and Aztec Water Dance HC lvl req.)

[This message has been edited by Cyclohexane (edited 05-02-2007 @ 08:39 PM).]

posted 06-18-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
Hi Cyclohexane, I was noticing something on the gather rates. Wood is at .5 base rate (which is definitely right.) However, after each subsequent upgrade it's listed at .55, .6, and .65. To my knowledge, the market wood upgrades for Europeans are +10%, then +20%, then +30%, all calculated off of the base rate.

Natives have 3 gather upgrades, each of +20%.

It seems to me that the numbers should be .5, .55, .65, and .8 for Europeans. For natives, I think it'd be .5, .6, .7, and .8.

Does that sound right to you?

Strategies:
posted 06-18-07 07:58 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
Very good guide. Thanks for your time.

Some missing cheat information:

where's that axe? - gets you George Crushington.
blah blah blah - is probably a cheat code ( as it doesn't show up), but is unknown.

On the starting conditions tab, part of a sentance within is cut off.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames