Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: VOD: __Sephiroth__ vs LieS
posted 04-08-07 09:19 AM EDT (US)   
Another VOD from sephi . This time it's france vs dutch, and I go for my favorite little xbow rush again. He initially starts off with a defensive FF, but switches to colonial hussars once he realizes he isn't going to reach fort any time soon. We have a few colonial skirmishes, but he reaches fortress still rather quickly and I'm forced to back off.

I eventually go to fortress myself, and a major battle takes place above his TC with my xbows fighting off his skirms.

Pretty cool game, about 20 minutes. I improved the quality a bit, so the file is a bit larger. Hope you guys don't mind.

http://files.filefront.com//;7174193;;/

(copy and paste into URL bar)

Enjoy!

PS: I accidentally turned score off, so I guess you can think of it as suspense or something -.-

PSS: Watch it in full screen!!!

Replies:
posted 04-08-07 10:37 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
By George, can't you play another civ for once?

*cough*brits*cough*

posted 04-08-07 10:45 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
No, Germans

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 04-08-07 11:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
I can't believe the size of the file is 351 mb for the quality of the video. You can't read the messages or see what the treasures are.

I guess you watch these things to see how a person micros though.

Thanks to all those that signed the petition to get me unbanned here.
And special thanks to smashnbash for making it.
posted 04-08-07 11:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
@seph, cant you convert it to xvid, then you can have decent quality, and a 20 min vid shouldnt be more then 150mb.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 04-08-07 11:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
cool,

how do you get the number of settlers working on food, wood and coin to come up?

mine used to do that but now it doesnt

it also doesnt shoe everything thats training on the left

and it used to

posted 04-08-07 11:48 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
Man a lot of text in this one too, but still couldn't see it. I watch it right off the internet, it screws up when I DL it, so it's like I would watch on youtube or something. I put it in full screen. Meh. GG though. Try what schildpad suggested maybe?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 04-08-07 12:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
I'll try xvid and seeing what happens. It's a lot larger because the file itself is nearly twice as long as the others.

I'll let you know when the xvid version is done I suppose.

EDIT: Apparently the only types of files I can reformat it to with my program are mpeg and wmv. Is there a specific program I need to reformat it to xvid?

[This message has been edited by xMatt the Greatx (edited 04-08-2007 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 04-08-07 03:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
VirtualDub should be ok for that, and it's free: http://www.virtualdub.org/index

x264 is a really good codec for video encoding, but not everyone has it, same with xvid I think. Probably best to provide two versions.

[This message has been edited by Semblance (edited 04-08-2007 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 04-08-07 04:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Nice rec. It gives me new confidence in the xbow rush.

"There is one quite often recalled, attributed to several sources, which was given following Jackson's extraordinary performance on September 13, 1847. it is a comment that could have applied to so many, an extraordinary generation of American soldiers: 'He will be heard from again.'" - Jeff Shaara
posted 04-08-07 04:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
Afaik windows media player can play xvid. (it does for me, but i dont know if it has anything to do with codec pack).

posted 04-08-07 04:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
thanks for ignoring my question but nevermind i've found it out anyway lol
posted 04-08-07 10:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
How do I see a units stats like speed and that stuff? It used to show in AOE III but now I can't see it.

Edit: I also saw Sephiroth do something where he would send a cdb on the other side of a herd then click the mouse and it would walk their first then shoot. And when he builds a stable then sends the cdb to mine. How does he do that? Is that by using shift click?

No need to worry, I'm here.
Yay.

[This message has been edited by y_a_y (edited 04-08-2007 @ 10:38 PM).]

posted 04-09-07 02:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
That is shift click yes.

Maybe you need to enable it somewhere in options to see unit details, dunno really.

posted 04-09-07 05:07 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
more! more! more! plz

this helped me a lot on how to beat the dutch as french, thx!

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 04-11-07 01:54 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
Ugh...

As a Dutch player, can I formally request that this video be removed?

Seph, you have shown what everyone needed to do the past 6 months when people where crying 'Dutch is OP.' Age 2 skirms lose cost-wise to every other LI out there. Don't try to rush a dutch player with pikes or muskets or jans and expect to just tear down buildings. However, if you use LI to pin a dutch player in, eventually he'll run out of hunts and starve while you gain map control and your economy catches up to the early banks.

Damn, that was fun, yet painful to watch. I've had that happen to me too many times and there's isn't much a Dutch player can do against it.

posted 04-11-07 05:28 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
yesterday, I played vs a dutch (on the same map) and I wanted to do this 2 rax xbow spam.
He aged up faster than me and made a fwd base so early game fights we close to my base, leaving his eco untouched.
I got lucky to repel it quickly thx to 2 (OP) scouts killing all fwd vills and an unfinished tower, but it might be a good idea for the dutch players...

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 04-11-07 05:48 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
RE to tomg91 (page 1): it's on the first page of options, one of those light up buttons.

By the way Matt, I looked for your computer, but it's uber-expensive!!! My dad won't like that... My computer doesn't even let me use high graphics like yours (ex. there is no "On" for Anti-Alisasing; there are a few options that have "Off" and "Normal", but no "High"). I just tried to play a game with all graphics, and it looks pretty bad...

Noli nothis permiterre te terrere.
Don't let the bastards wear you down.

[This message has been edited by Aowpr the Great (edited 04-11-2007 @ 05:51 AM).]

posted 04-11-07 06:28 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
@great, if you buy the parts yourself and put them together, it will be much cheaper

posted 04-11-07 06:42 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Yeah... right.

posted 04-11-07 07:40 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Euh, it is much cheaper. The only company here who sells comps that are cheaper then self-build comps is a freaking supermarket. And they do that like 2 times per year. All others are much more expensive then making comp yourself.

posted 04-11-07 08:12 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Oh, I thought you were joking. In that case, do I have to buy the parts individually, or do they sell kits? If so, how much would it cost to build something similar to Matt's? (On wikipedia, we'd be told that we're not in a chat forum if we drift so far off-topic).

[This message has been edited by Aowpr the Great (edited 04-11-2007 @ 09:22 AM).]

posted 04-11-07 07:19 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
if you use LI to pin a dutch player in, eventually he'll run out of hunts and starve while you gain map control and your economy catches up to the early banks.

I discovered the same thing when I played a dutchie the other day. Double rax x-bow spam (thanx Matt!) vs a 3 bank FF. I managed to keep him pinned and off everthing but a couple of trees and a few berries in his base He couldn't do anything.

clicky

posted 04-11-07 08:47 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
yesterday, I played vs a dutch (on the same map) and I wanted to do this 2 rax xbow spam.
He aged up faster than me and made a fwd base so early game fights we close to my base, leaving his eco untouched.
I got lucky to repel it quickly thx to 2 (OP) scouts killing all fwd vills and an unfinished tower, but it might be a good idea for the dutch players...

If you watch this VOD from Sephi, the Dutch player ages up at 4:00min. Purty damn fast.

The only fault I would give the Dutch player is that he should have used the hussars that he first had to go around the x-bows and attack villagers. A few towers, and colonial militia would have held off the xbows until he could get to fortress.

The WORST thing a dutch player can do is get into a LI fight in colonial. Skirms just cost too much and don't do well against other LI. Not until the dutch player can get to fortress, and get some upgrades, can the skirms start to hold their own.

btw: I don't see why a german player can't do this same exact double rax xbow rush? A german player has a 9 xbox shipment that comes with free horses. The german player also has more colonial military shipments than most other euro civs. Frankly, I think a similar strat would put the germans right back into the thick of it.

[This message has been edited by TjRome (edited 04-11-2007 @ 08:49 PM).]

posted 04-30-07 12:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
a good game sephi! Your micro there when the merc horse shipment came out was awesome. (what were they btw?). I really liked the way you got ur xbows between the skirms and your pikes to allow you to attack the TC.

I have faced this a couple of times now as brits. What would the best way to counter it be? Lb are stronger than xbow but arent as agile and hussars are not so much an option as he can get the pikes out quite easily without messing with his econ.
A 2 rax lb spam will work but I had to sacrifice the manor boom, which leaves me behind economically...

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » VOD: __Sephiroth__ vs LieS
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames