Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How do you beat the iroquois
posted 08-13-07 08:32 PM EDT (US)   
I play QS because I don't have the time to be jerked around on GB because no one ever wants to play a game in which there is even the slightest chance that they lose. However, on QS, the only civ ever played is iroquois. I've been waiting, and trying, but I never get any better at playing against them. It doesn't seem to matter what they do, nor what I do. I just lose.

But I know they are losing almost 40% of the time. What is beating them? Tell me how you beat the iroquois. I don't care what civ or what strategy, I'll use that civ and that strategy, I just want to use something that can beat them. As it stands now, I just see the word "iroquois" and I already know I lost the game, lately I've started resigning half the time just to save some time.

"he will have a hard getting banks up"
~rel4xed

"I accidently drop kicked someone once"
~george_uk

[This message has been edited by exc4libulz1022 (edited 08-13-2007 @ 08:32 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-13-07 08:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Please don't ask stupid questions.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 08-13-07 09:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
If you go back a couple of months in strategy central, I'm sure you can find about a dozen threads devoted to beating the Iroquois, with lots of suggestion on civs and strats to use. There was no point to making this thread; it's totally redundant.

*Does nothing in a closed thread, as doing stuff in closed threads is retarded*

"Wisconsin Cheese should be in its own food group, and a significant part of every meal." -Jared Ribble
"Now that sir, is what I call a dead parrot!" -SmashNBash
"I find love generally ends in a restraining order." -Maffia
"One person cannot change the world; they can change others." -Christian Stillings
"Closed. HG > Any other site" -Cheesewiz
posted 08-13-07 09:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
You don't play them till the patch comes out, as they are OP currently. With the travois "fix" in the works, I refuse to play anyone that "exploits" the unbalancing advantages of that civilization.
posted 08-13-07 10:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
*traps a devoted monkey in closed thread*

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I heard distant forests all the time - CunniJA
I found my Jabra!
posted 08-13-07 11:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
With a stick.

Really.

Go over to the Iro player's house, sneak up on him from behind while he's sending his forward warhut travois, and WHACK!

then run away ~

After a while you can tell the habitual Iro lamers by their extensive brain damage.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 08-13-07 11:11 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Don't be mean, guys, I've seen worse...
Right now, there's not really an effective method to beating them. It's a good Idea to search the forums though

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 08-13-07 11:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, Snoopy. I'm just saying that there's no point in creating another thread asking how to defeat the Iroquois when there are so many already. The thread is thus redundant and useless. It's not a dumb question being asked, and I'm not trying to insult the creator, but the thread is pointless as the question has already been asked and answered so many times on this site alone. So, I request the thread be closed. My answer to the question is: wait for the freakin patch to come out. Then, if the Iroquois are still OP, the question is once again worth asking.

"Wisconsin Cheese should be in its own food group, and a significant part of every meal." -Jared Ribble
"One person cannot change the world; they can change others." -Christian Stillings
posted 08-13-07 11:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
I for one, am relived that the question isn't phrasied like...
how do i beat iro they are so op i dont no wat 2 do w/ tem bc they r so good...
It's hard to write like that.

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 08-13-07 11:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Its too bad that the Iroquois weren't like the 1.07 ports. I mean next to Germany, they were the best civ. They seemed impossible to beat, then it happened. Ulimitsu's deporter strat for russians. YES! Good times, good times.

Enough living in the past, just wait to 1.04 for the big iro nerfs. Thats What I'm doing.

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
posted 08-13-07 11:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
Try not to be harsh on the guy, i have the same problem. Iroquois, i just haven't been playing to be honest, I'm waiting for the new patch that ESO will never put out and then I'm gonna wait for the Xpack . Just hold tight and play another game, thats my strat.

I lost in the AOE3H FRR
Support Gay Pride!
Michael Jackson is innocent!
I smell.
posted 08-14-07 07:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
why is everyone moaning about this thread? I don't see a problem with it. It's a legitimate question, and it's obviously not one of those which suggest the author hasnt even bothered to try for himself, instead just demanding that others take time out to give him a specific BO.

Brtnboarder however was completely correct, in a tongue-in-cheek way. It is a question which doesnt have an answer!

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
posted 08-14-07 09:01 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
play vanilla..it won't hurt to have a few extra playersin that community

From a poster at Agecommunity (Talking about the 4 cow age up option):

"Only a noob like you doesn't realize how valueble it can be. That's 2000 food waiting to be gathered"
LOL
posted 08-14-07 09:07 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
This is a perfectly legitimate question. QuickSearch and the thousands of IroBoyz that inhabit it are a huge shock to the system for any player. I play QuickSearch exclusively so I know that it can be a rough ride at the moment.

First thing's first -- every civ is at a substantial disadvantage vs. the Iroquois. If you have any "cheap" or rough tactics that you are holding back on using vs. an Iroquois player, forget that right away. Feeling guilty about harrassing his vills in Discovery? Feeling "bad" that you considered Tlaloc Rushing or Scout Slamming him? Forget it. He just slapped a War Hut on your hunts, played Great House, and is getting ready to spam Forest Prowlers at you. It's time to get vicious!

The one strategy that I've been able to win most consistently with against them is the Scout Slam. (I went well over 50% vs. Iroquois doing this.) It's no guarantee of victory (nothing is!) but it does give you a good chance if you can pull it off properly. I generally prefer a heavy turtling variant of the Scout Slam where I mass up Warrior Priests and gear up for a big fight in my base. This is a strong tactic against the straight Iro FF, but it's actually even stronger against the Great House turtle. I've had many Iroquois call me "cheap", "lame", and a great variety of other unprintable names when I've done this.

I think I have a decent collection of recorded games vs. Iroquois -- if you are interested, I can dig around just a bit. Just let me know if you are interested and I'll round up anything I can find (been playing Ottomans lately rather than Aztecs.)

For the Ottomans, another interesting tactic would be to attempt to go mass cavalry. If you have "sensed" that he'll be executing an FF, you can go to Fortress with the 4 hussar "Scout" politician. If you are not high enough level to get that politician, you'll have to settle for 4 abus guns. From there, you can play 5 Spahi, then 1000 gold. Go to Industrial with the 3 Spahi politician. In Industrial, play the 6 Spahi card. If the fight is in your base, this could give you a decent chance.

A straight double-barracks janissary rush vs. the Iroquois can also work reasonably well. You can get their TC down. The trouble is that if they play Great House, they can sneak villagers out to rebuild another. It's an extremely problematic situation, but the best approach I know of is to ship 3 hussars and keep them out of building fire range. Scout constantly for groups of vills, and if they go off to rebuild the TC, attack them immediately before the new GH can go up. You do still have the worst of it, but it can work.

If you do find yourself stuck without any usable tactic, instead of resigning consider mega-rushing his base in a crazed kamikaze charge. Who knows, you might even surprise him. And if you don't, oh well... he was Iroquois -- he would have just spammed Forest Prowlers at you anyway.

Remember also that Iroquois players are often completely unused to losing and don't take it very well. They'll often whine extensively about their losses after the game. Some will cuss you out and call you "cheap" for beating them. Bask in the glow of these beautiful moments. As they say, the best victories are hard-won victories!

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style
posted 08-14-07 09:47 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
i'd definately like a look at those recs joe.

ESO2 - Crashtest

"I don't have 3 hours to break through your 50 layers of walls to kill you.
Real men play without walls." LordKivlov
posted 08-14-07 10:11 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
I had seen a rec lately from a sioux vs iro (dont really know where i got it)

The iro did his normal great house ff but didnt make 3 just 2 . The sioux did a ff

Sioux had a fb in the corner ; a stable and a wh . Iroquois had his fb on the sioux' second hunt. A decent while in fortress the sioux attacks iro's virtually undefended base with lots of axe riders (75%) some shipped dog soldiers (3) and wakinas . He put all vills on siege dance , killed many vills and the great houses . However during the siege the iro attacked siouxs base and send all his Musk Riders and shipped some to his own base.

(This is my favo part) The sioux had foreseen this and had send 4 axe riders (5 was already used) and used the BB wich gave him som 5 dog soldiers this with the TC fire (while maintaining the siege dance) and the shipped axe ridrs was enough to repel the iros army of fp and mantlets

The Musk riders arrived but were easily sniped out by the wakinas , the iro based destroyed

Shortly after sioux killed iros fb thanks to shipments and more axe riders and wakinas (great use of iros lack of decent hand cav)

Iro resigned , great rec !! (it was patch 1.02 , i dont have it anymore ..)

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief
posted 08-14-07 10:58 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
I'm not saying it's an illegitimate question, and I admit that the thread shouldn't be closed. It's just that this question has already been asked and answered so many times before that it was pointless to start up this thread in the first place. And it is good that he tried to figure it out himself first; the reason I'm complaining is that there was no point in starting this thread, as his question has already been asked and answered so many times before.

posted 08-14-07 11:42 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
Sure thing, I'll try to scrape them together tonight (assuming I don't get insanely busy!)
his question has already been asked and answered so many times before.
I'll grant that the question has been asked before, but I'm not sure that it has ever been answered satisfactorily. If I recall correctly, it's been a while since the board really tackled it. And given how quickly tactical "trends" emerge and fade in AoE3, it seems like a good topic. IMO until the new patch comes out, this is still an area that's ripe for discussion (and perhaps even after 1.04, depending on results!)

Strategies:
- BWKiC - A British Fast Fortress strategy
- The Aztec Scout Slam- An Envoy Rush, Native-Style

[This message has been edited by Beatnik Joe (edited 08-14-2007 @ 11:53 AM).]

posted 08-14-07 12:08 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
---------------------------------------------------------
With a stick.

Really.

Go over to the Iro player's house, sneak up on him from behind while he's sending his forward warhut travois, and WHACK!

then run away ~

After a while you can tell the habitual Iro lamers by their extensive brain damage.

lol!!! ill have to try that tactic sometime!

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. -George Patton

Bill Gates' empire's downfall shall be caused by a fruit!

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it, copy this into your sig.
posted 08-14-07 01:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
Quoted from scriv1984:

Sure thing, I'll try to scrape them together tonight (assuming I don't get insanely busy!)

I would love to get a look at them too. I used the scout slam for a while with good success, then it seemed I couldn't pull it off and I haven't used it since. I'm curious to see it hold up to Iroquois. The slightest pressure from the opponent tended to derail it.

I tend to do a version of the Zap rush to Iroquois now to take the FB down. However, at my level there does seem to be some honor with "some" Iroquois players. They may send a FB but they don't send great house or vice versa. But then again some do. For those I would agree that you need to bust out the Stick theory.
posted 08-14-07 01:34 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
With a stick.

Really.

then run away ~

Do you think a metal pipe might work better? Or actually I've got a stick back at home that's as hard as a metal pipe, I might try that.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I heard distant forests all the time - CunniJA
I found my Jabra!
posted 08-14-07 04:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
I'd love to see those recs, Joe.

And thank you saffah. That seems like a pretty good strategy, and I don't even have to level up a different HC to do it! Brill.

~rel4xed

~george_uk

[This message has been edited by exc4libulz1022 (edited 08-14-2007 @ 04:43 PM).]

posted 08-14-07 08:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
Well, if you want to not be in Sing Sing for agg assault try my other strat: drop a Circle of Protection: Iroquois on aging to Colonial and keep a few vils generating white mana throughout the game.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 08-14-07 09:35 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
when against iro, refuse to play on any map except caribbean!

ESO Nickname: Eisenhower
Favorite Age 3 character: Sahin the Falcon
Unban James Lock!
posted 08-15-07 02:47 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
Lmao, MTG ftw? Maybe I'll play chainer's edict so he has to sacrifice himself

~rel4xed

~george_uk

posted 08-15-07 06:30 AM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
when against iro, refuse to play on any map except caribbean!
and fight their OP(war) canoes with frigates and galleons that absolutely get slaughterd ?

I'll pass thank you

"You cannnot discover inhabited land , If not i could go and 'discover' England" - Iroquois Chief

[This message has been edited by Sjiniet (edited 08-15-2007 @ 06:32 AM).]

posted 08-15-07 09:43 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
yeah, was about to say, natives on the water = gg

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » How do you beat the iroquois
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames