Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interviews With Experts - Part 1 - Viper
posted 05-03-08 07:44 PM EDT (US)   
A few quick things - this was done pre-patch as were all the upcoming interviews. Also a very special thanks to all that helped and contributed to the Interviews.

Myll_Erik- Some of us know you pretty well - but others may not. How about a little background about yourself?

Viper - I'm 20 years old - although probably 21 by the time this interview is posted (birthday in a few days' time). I hail from Adelaide, South Australia; and I'm in the fourth and final year of a double degree in Media & International Studies at the University of Adelaide.

Myll_Erik - A few small questions -
Favorite Things:
map: Painted Desert
HC card: Land grab
unit: Doppelsoldner
mercenary: Swiss pikes
Strategy: Doppel rush!
TV show: Stargate SG1
drink: Lift (lemon)
food: Chocolate
movie: The Shawshank Redemption
color: Orange
sport (practice and watching) and athlete: Cycling and Formula 1
song/band/singer: Foo Fighters

Myll_Erik – You’re the admin of AgeSanctuary - why do you do it?

Viper - I like helping out the community, because I think that that is what sustains a game's longevity more than anything else. Some people may come and go, but the community lives on if managed properly. I may not be a PR 45 expert, but I do what I can.

Myll_Erik - What has kept you so involved with AoE?

Viper - I've always tried to be active in the community. Back in AoC, I used to run a signature design team, where I and dozens of other designers made countless signatures for people. Once AoE3 came out, I thought that it would be great to be a bigger contributor to an active community, so I used my designing skills on various things, from rating tag designs for FeaR Clan, and for SkWizZ (which you can see practically everywhere nowadays).

After awhile I progressed to being a game reviewer on AgeSanc. That led eventually to becoming a staff member some years ago (along with the establishment of Cheatbusters), and then to admin about a year or so ago.

Yes, I do play the game as well I got to PR 42 in vanilla, but my commitments to the community are always demanding, so I haven't gotten beyond PR 35 in the two xpacks.

Myll_Erik - What keeps the AoE community ticking? (why do the players stick around despite newer and newer games?)

Viper - The two xpacks have gone a long way in sustaining the community. WCG also - there's nothing like a big tournament to draw players back to a game. That, and many of the people playing this game are long-time fans of the series. It's not something that they would easily give up. I myself have been playing ES games since I got the RoR demo in 1998. Yes, I have been playing AoE games for half of my life.

Myll_Erik – What is your take on the state of the game? Balance wise/community wise?

Viper - Well it is hard to judge balance, especially with 1.01 coming out soon. It will mean a lot of marked changes to this game's balance. I gave up long ago on using lame strats to get a good rate - I just play random strats for fun. Hopefully playing like that will be much more viable in 1.01. No one wants to see a turtling/camping game, nor one where a ranged inf spam beats all. I think that 1.01 will address those concerns.

As for the community, I think it's fine. Sure, people have left over the course of the past few years (I still miss Bish!), but others will always come along to take their place.

Myll_Erik-If you could change two things about AoE3 - what would they be?

Viper -Gives coyotes +0.1 ranged resistance, and make doppels either train faster or cost less.

Myll_Erik -Tell us about your clan? (if you have one)

Viper -Well I joined NerVe 3 months ago now, and they haven't kicked me out yet - so they must find me (somewhat) bearable .

Myll_Erik – What is your favorite RTS game - and why?

Viper - AoC when it came out - it was so far ahead of its' competition. Nowadays it is extremely out-dated; I don't know why people still play it lol

Myll_Erik - Your thoughts on SC2?

Viper - SC2 looks very similar to SC1. Sort of re-packaged. That's not to say that it won't be great, but I don't think that it will gather as much interest in Korea as it's predecessor has. The Sanctuary Network is planning on expanding to cover SC2, although I'm only designing the site for it and don't think I will get overly involved in that community.

Myll_Erik –Do you play any other console or PC games?

Viper -BF2 mostly.

Myll_Erik – What are your real life aspirations?

Viper - Well, you can see what I'm studying - Media & International Studies. My ultimate dream would be to become a foreign correspondent for a major news network. Traveling around the world to report on news as it happens would be a very interesting job/lifestyle.

Myll_Erik -WCG 2008? Your thoughts - Predict the finals!

Viper -I hope that more countries will send participants this time - organization and support at the national level was a shambles last year. Grunt will win again of course.

Myll_Erik -What about AoE4? Halo Wars?

Viper -I'll likely still be playing ES games when AoE4 is released I'd possibly be interested in Halo Wars if it were released on PC.

Myll_Erik –Who do you see as your biggest rival? Why?

Viper -I don't really have a rival in gaming. But I always spend plenty of time making sure that AgeSanc remains the #1 site for AoE3 replays/tournaments! Can't have HG taking over that turf.

Myll_Erik -Italian food or Chinese?

Viper -Anyone who answers Chinese to this is very odd!

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Trample the Weak - Hurdle the Dead!
"It's kind of a...persnickety magic." Atzy
End of Nations!
End of Nations Community Manager

[This message has been edited by Myll_Erik (edited 05-03-2008 @ 07:57 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-03-08 09:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Woot go NerVe.
posted 05-03-08 10:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
Myll_Erik -Italian food or Chinese?

Viper -Anyone who answers Chinese to this is very odd!

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 05-03-08 11:39 PM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
I'm sure if you guys had a few question Viper wouldn't mind answering them.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
End of Nations!
posted 05-03-08 11:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
Viper what's the meaning of life?
posted 05-04-08 03:07 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
Oh, you finally got this up It looks bad when you post it now and I'm 100-200 points below my normal rating :P

Don't forget that this was put together pre-1.01, so while my suggestion for improving doppels stands, I think coyote runners are fine now.

And the meaning of life is...

AoE3 Heaven cherub
AgeSanctuary administrator
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-04-08 03:49 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
The meaning of life is that 6 x 9 = 42. So there. Does that make me an expert now?

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 05-04-2008 @ 04:40 AM).]

posted 05-04-08 04:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Oh, you finally got this up It looks bad when you post it now and I'm 100-200 points below my normal rating :P
Wow your such a n00b

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.
posted 05-04-08 06:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
You can't have interviewed the right experts if I wasn't interviewed

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 05-04-08 08:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
I have a question:

Viper, you run the Cheatbusters team still, which ofc isn't ES bound, and those judged by Cheatbusters aren't always banned by ES.

Don't you ever fear that some of those you judge migth be innosent?
What about those ES does ban, wouldn't it be fair if someone would be their lawyer and look over the evidence as well?

(BTW, tnx for doing this interview, and tnx for busting cheaters)

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
posted 05-04-08 09:13 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
Question: How far do you think AOE3 will go? Will we see a z pack, or Age4? Or will it just stop?

Retired GameReplays.org Senior Replay Reviewer
World Class Drum Corps International Mellophonist 2009
Proud Winner of "Best Newbie Award" BFME2H, a long time ago
posted 05-04-08 11:57 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
Viper, you run the Cheatbusters team still, which ofc isn't ES bound, and those judged by Cheatbusters aren't always banned by ES.

Don't you ever fear that some of those you judge migth be innosent?

What about those ES does ban, wouldn't it be fair if someone would be their lawyer and look over the evidence as well?
I trust the judgement of ES in banning someone. If they have been banned, then the evidence against them must be strong (often more than what just Cheatbusters has).

People we put on our list are allowed to appeal. We don't stick them on there and refuse altogether to consider any evidence that points in the opposite direction.
Question: How far do you think AOE3 will go? Will we see a z pack, or Age4? Or will it just stop?
I think the decline of the PC market will see ES possibly move in the direction of console gaming (if Halo Wars is a success). Their titles are selling less and less as time progresses. For sure there will be an AoE4, and/or an AoM2, but thereafter?

--------------------------

Btw, just to confirm something else in this outdated interview :P
Viper - I'm 20 years old - although probably 21 by the time this interview is posted (birthday in a few days' time).
I am indeed 21 now.

AoE3 Heaven cherub
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-04-08 12:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
For sure there will be an AoE4, and/or an AoM2
Interesting. What makes you so certain? Do you know something we don't, or do you just think it's very likely?

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
posted 05-04-08 12:50 PM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
I kinda agree - the market for console games is much bigger than that for computer games. In my class about 50% of people must have a 360 whereas very few would play a game on the PC like this.

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
posted 05-04-08 01:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
It's not just the more limited market that constrains PC developers, it's that the console platforms inferior graphics performance means developers don't have to spend as much of the development funding on graphics in order to remain current and competitive.

In the long run, the migration of most titles away from consoles, while being not so good for PC gamers, will be better for smaller PC developers, who will face less competition from the big publishers.

What bugs me, from the POV of a PC gaming enthusiast, is how the consoles position themselves as the 'less expensive' alternative to a PC system. That assertion is only true if you have no other use for a personal computer other than playing games or media. As our economy and society becomes more integrated with computer technology, however, the opposite will be more and more true. Computer hardware is getting comparatively cheaper, and it's far more important for people wishing to compete in the job market to have computer skills. What better way than to have and use one in their home?

So if you assume that having a computer is an investment in something more than just a gaming platform, how much of the cost of your computer is devoted to pure gaming? How does that compare with the cost of an xbox or PS3?

Anyway, sorry, threatjack over.
posted 05-05-08 03:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
omg omg omg a celeberty!!

Hehe just whanted 2 know, how mutch you play a week?
(prob less than me:P)

thats all
MadeZ

ps. my first langues is danish
posted 05-05-08 04:19 PM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
lol I'm no celebrity. Just another AoE player who is well known because of contributing a lot to the community.

I play about 5 hours a week usually.

AoE3 Heaven cherub
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-05-08 05:10 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
You said you're going into international relations and being a correspondant... Does that correlate with, if at all, your love of AoE3 and RTS games?

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD
posted 05-05-08 09:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
Viper u said agesanc was top age website for all the stuff what about gamereplays its better for noobs like me :P

(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!
posted 05-05-08 09:19 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
Viper is op. ClamMan is op (though he tries to mislead us by calling himself a noob). This thread rocks.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 05-06-08 04:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
You said you're going into international relations and being a correspondant... Does that correlate with, if at all, your love of AoE3 and RTS games?
The international studies part of my uni degree has much to do with politics and also history. I've always held a love for historical games (started with Civilisation 1), which probably drew me to the series in the first place, while making AoM not so appealing to me.

Failing all else, I could always become a video games journalist. That way I can combine my hobby with my profession :P
Viper u said agesanc was top age website for all the stuff what about gamereplays its better for noobs like me :P
GameReplays is a big site, but they're focused more upon other games. Their AoE3 section, while well-established, isn't quite the same as AgeSanc. Yes, you could say they're more noob friendly - because the ratio of lower skilled contributors there is higher. Not to say that some good players don't post there regularly (iGiuL for example), but AgeSanc will always be one step ahead IMO :P *The preceding paragraph may contain traces of subjectivity*

AoE3 Heaven cherub
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-06-08 09:43 AM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
Hey Viper, thanks for the interview.

What do you think holds people back from being a Col or above in this game?

Do you think there is some innate talent or gift that separates the competent from the noobs, or is it all just a function of practice, i.e. anyone can go from 0 to Grunt in 18 months with just a lot of practice?

Is there ever an age at which you're really too old to expect much gains in your rank?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 05-06-08 11:48 AM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
I have a few questions.

What kind of hours do you keep? You would always whine about waking up "early" for the smackdowns, and yet I routinely see you on msn up "late" at the same time.

If you could live somewhere besides Australia where would it be?

ESO: Naevius
posted 05-06-08 12:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
I know he gets on for some of our RTSL games at 5 AM, and I know he's up before that for some smackdown stuff...pretty committed guy.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
End of Nations!
posted 05-06-08 12:25 PM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Some would say obsessed :P

AgeSanctuary Staff member.
posted 05-06-08 11:09 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
What do you think holds people back from being a Col or above in this game?

Do you think there is some innate talent or gift that separates the competent from the noobs, or is it all just a function of practice, i.e. anyone can go from 0 to Grunt in 18 months with just a lot of practice?
The ability (or lack thereof) to micro manage is what holds most people back. Sure, most decent players below that level (PR 25-34) can manage units in a battle. But they can't do that, cue up more units, and manage their economy at the same time. That's where you can see mistakes begin to creep in, and at the top level, mistakes at that point can really hurt.
Is there ever an age at which you're really too old to expect much gains in your rank?
Most of the pro gamers I know are 20-25 years old. I think you can still be competitive up until 30, or 35 at the most.
What kind of hours do you keep? You would always whine about waking up "early" for the smackdowns, and yet I routinely see you on msn up "late" at the same time.
Well, it depends. Often I'll stay up late just to get some games in. Other times I'm chatting on MSN while working on an assignment (I often leave things too late and have to pull all-nighters to get them finished :P).

For Smackdowns I get up at 3am or thereabouts.
If you could live somewhere besides Australia where would it be?
Italy. The food and F1 cars :P Would have to learn Italian quickly though.

AoE3 Heaven cherub
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-06-08 11:28 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
Viper, change the clan in your nick .
posted 05-07-08 01:07 AM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
I can't They only do a name change spree every year or so.

AoE3 Heaven cherub
NerVe Clan member
posted 05-07-08 11:32 AM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
Is there any reason for that?

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Interviews With Experts - Part 1 - Viper
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames