General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires 3 Online Etiquette
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 05-23-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)   
It would seem that, aside from the actual game rules, there are rather a lot of untyped "laws of ESO2". For example, droptricking is technically forbidden but stealthing units and hiding them in the corners of the map is allowed by the game engine. Both are greatly disapproved of online. Herein lies the discrepancy. Some players consider tactics like hiding villagers and teaming in Free-for-alls legitimate ways to play, while others see them as second to cheating. So, to help clear up the confusion, below is a list of the main points of multiplayer etiquette, as suggested by posters in this sticky so far.

Online Code of Honor

1) Before the game

• Restrict your Power Rating filter. Do not attempt to "n00b-bash" players much worse than you.

• If you do not wish to play against civilisations you consider to be "overpowered", do not play quicksearch games. Host or join a game that consists of non-overpowered civilisations only, e.g. "1v1 no India, Japan". Be sure to mention the rule in the game title as if you don't you have no right to ask joined players to change their civilisations. If you do play quicksearch and are defeated by an overpowered civilisation you have no right to complain or flame them.

• If joining or hosting a team game where players will be slotted into teams randomly, examine all players in the room and ensure that you would accept a game with any possible permutation of players in teams, even if you would prefer some players to be on your team than others. Once the game begins and you know your team, if you have the weakest players on your team you have no right to complain or insult your teammates.

• If hosting a game with custom rules (e.g. "no ships"), before launching the game retype all the rules and a statement along the lines of "If you will not abide by these rules, leave now. By proceeding, you agree to follow them and cannot claim ignorance". Wait ten seconds, then launch.

• If you are hosting, be honest. Do not create a low-level Home City for the purposes of deception and in a team game do not team up with a clanmate or other friend without giving some indication to the opposing players that you two have played together and will therefore have an advantage.

• If you are hosting a team game with one spare slot and a player enters asking if his/her friend can join, do not boot someone else from the game. Give priority to the first players to join. Similarly, if you intend to play with a friend do not join games with insufficient spare slots.

• If you are hosting a Custom Scenario game, be honest and informative about what it entails. Do not type something like "this map is rely fun!11! yehyeahyeh!" and wait for players to join the game and soon realise that they get two villagers and a Turkey Scout versus a horde of 87,593 FU cuirassiers and fixed guns.

• In Free-for-alls do not decide to team up with a player before the game begins. Teaming is acceptable once the game starts but should not be premeditated. If you yourself are teamed in-game, do not complain or flame the teaming players.

2) When the game starts

• If possible, type in "gl hf" (short for "good luck, have fun") or a similar message. This is not mandatory but it is a good way to begin a game.

• Do not "trash talk" by insulting your opponents or teammates. This includes boasting about rank, typing "im goonnna owwnz joo 11!!11", etc. Also, do not excessively use the game taunts. Consider one in the first two minutes the limit, and keep all other use of taunts in the game to a minimum. If you are excessively taunted, do not return fire, simply type "!mute" (which will remove the taunt sound effects) and ignore the taunting player(s).

• If you are playing on someone else's custom scenario and you find that it isn't working properly (e.g. stranded covered wagons), do not flame the host of the game. Politely inform him/her of the problem and if it cannot be rectified then leave the game.

• Treasure stealing is permitted, as are any other legitimate game tactics at this point.

3) If you have almost won:

• Do not type "gg". It is up to the near-defeated opponent to make the first move.

• If you are certain that you have killed your opponent's last villager, politely ask if they intend to resign. If you recieve a rude or no message, discontinue the conversation and focus on researching Spies (or doing whatever is necessary) in order to finish the game.

• If your opponent types "gg" and you respond with the same but he/she does nothing, politely ask if they intend to resign. If you recieve a rude or no message, discontinue the conversation and focus on researching Spies (or doing whatever is necessary) in order to finish the game.

• In post-game chat, if possible and appropriate try to congratulate your opponent.

4) If you have almost lost

• Do not attempt to droptrick, lag your opponent out, disconnect or otherwise sabotage the game.

• Do not start insulting your opponent or proclaiming that you lost because of an OP civ or map screw, even if that was the case. Similarly, do not insult your teammates for poor play or try to blame them for your team's failure, even if it was their fault.

• If you still have one or more villagers, it is perfectly acceptable to continue playing and trying to win. If your opponent demands that you resign, you are under no obligation to do so.

• If you have no villagers left and no possible way of rebuilding, either type "gg" and resign or do something interesting that will quickly result in your defeat (e.g. gathering all your troops for a suicide raid on the enemy). Do not hide stealthy units in corners and hope your enemy loses patience.

• If your opponent tells you that he/she needs to go and your opponent has been fairly courteous throughout the game, even if you have a couple of villagers left you should resign. This is a matter of judgement, but be considerate and reasonable.

5) Miscellaneous

• If at some point you need to leave for up to three minutes, pause and immediately type why you need to pause and how long you'll be gone, e.g. "brb need 2 answer phone 30secs pls". If you need to go for longer than three minutes, ask your opponent if they mind waiting. If they do, resign and do whatever you need to do. If you get back (before three minutes have passed) and find your opponent has unpaused, simply type "thanks a lot" and continue playing. Do not ask for a pause when you do not need one e.g. to secretly micromanage your units.

• If your opponent pauses, wait for twenty seconds to give them time to type a message. If none appears, unpause and continue playing. If your opponent gave a reasonable reason for pausing but has been gone later than three minutes, you have a right to unpause if you wish to. If you suspect your opponent may have paused to micromanage his/her units, follow the above etiquette and use the time to micromanage yourself.

• If you yourself need to go for any reason, if you are losing or the game is in an undecided state, resign immediately (if possible with the message "g2g" or something similar). If you are winning, ask your opponent if he/she would consider resigning. If not, resign immediately. If you are in a team game, inform your teammates (if possible tribute them or help them however you can) then resign.

• In a Free-for-all, you are under no obligation to wait for a player to be in the Imperial Age and "ready" before you attack. (Unless of course that was stated in the title of the game beforehand.) Most FFAs will end up with no attacks before Imperial, but you have no right to complain if you are attacked at an early stage of the game.

• If your opponent is profane or idiotic in chat or breaks the etiquette above, it still applies to you in all cases except those where you feel courtesy would be wasted.

• If you have a poor-performing computer, turn your graphics down. If that makes no difference or you've gone as low as you can go, stick to land maps. If you want to play semi-water maps, host a game explicitly stating "no boats" or a similar message in the title. Fishing boats must be disallowed or problems may rise regarding people stashing boats where nobody else can get to them.

• If, once the game has started, a player from either team asks you not to build boats return a message asking him/her to turn their graphics down. If they refuse, you do not have to take notice of their request and it is up to you whether the lag levels are sufficiently acceptable for you to play on.

If you have anything to add to this list or want to correct something, please post and let me know. Remember, those who break the Code will suffer terrifying nightmares containing multitudes of disapproving elderly ladies wielding longbows. If you have committed violations of the Code and wish to escape the wrath of the Elderly Longbowladies of Doom, ask forgiveness in my "Confessions" sticky and I will grant you absolution.

Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII? Discuss.
    Giskard: BrianManahan = Tsar_Ivan_VII. It's no longer a question.
    Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
    BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 08-29-2008 @ 12:40 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05-23-08 07:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 176  
    Good Game after the game, just as a nice mannered responce to the game. Kinda like asking to be excused from the table.

Resign when the correct time comes, when this is varries from person to person, but hiding one unit verus a 100 pop army isn't the correct thing to do, save your time, and your oppenent's time.

Don't trashtalk during a game, if you are losing or winning. I had a teammate that was trashtalking today and I had to bid pardon for him dispite my self being at 15 PR and him at 25 vs a 25 and some 8 or something.

Also, don't complain about the "lameing" of civs in game. out of game or before hand you can ask for someone not to lame a civ, but if you play in a game with 5 japs in it and you are playing brits or the like, don't complain, you should have left.

Don't noob bash outside of your PR range. This varies, I put my own at about 5 on both sides in 1 vs 1.

Help others if they ask for help.

Don't drop without proper warning.

Tatics such as alliences in a FFA are fine so long as you plan it ingame and it doesn't get out of hand. This is just my oppion, however I see both sides of this issue.
    posted 05-23-08 07:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 176  
    It's pretty much good etiquette not to play as Japan or India.

It's also acceptable to shove it in their faces when you beat them!

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
    "Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
    C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."
    posted 05-23-08 08:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 176  
    All is fair in love and warfare. You can't crush the resistance if they still have people alive and in hiding.

As for drop tricking, that's just cheating, cheaters suck.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
    posted 05-23-08 08:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 176  
    I totaly agree with Hydro86 and I cant think of anything else. good job Hydro!!!!

Here is my new sig, tell me what you think about it.
    Evan a fool seems wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he guards his tongue.
    proverbs:17 verse 28
    think about that.
    posted 05-24-08 03:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 176  
    Resign when the correct time comes, when this is varries from person to person, but hiding one unit verus a 100 pop army isn't the correct thing to do, save your time, and your oppenent's time.
    With this I totally agree
    All is fair in love and warfare. You can't crush the resistance if they still have people alive and in hiding.
    And not with this. You shouldn't hide your villagers etc. if you know you don't have a real chance of winning anymore. Save everyone's time and be gone with it.
    Don't trashtalk during a game, if you are losing or winning.
    That doesn't happen a lot to me. At least, not as much as in Team Fortress 2.
    It's pretty much good etiquette not to play as Japan or India.

It's also acceptable to shove it in their faces when you beat them!
    I Totally disagree. You shouldn't let your civ choice be determined by the other players. If I want to play India (and I do) I'm not going to be stopped because some people think it's OP (which might very well be true, although I don't really experience it as such). If you care about getting beaten by Japan or India, play them yourselves. If you want to play the civ you like to play, do so and quit whining. You can't expect someone else to change his civ because you can't stand losing from him.

And if you'd shove it in my face when you beat me, you'll probably end up on my pest list.

One thing I think to be totally unacceptable is chatting in languages not everyone understands in FFA. I understand enough Dutch, English, French and German to find out what they're saying, but for the other people in the game it must be very annoying to have two French people talking to another while you don't understand a thing about it.
    posted 05-24-08 04:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 176  
    Damn! Hydro seems to have covered everything!
    Maybe we should do another thread on forum ettiquette, on top of the list; don't steal all the possible replies to a topic!(jk)

Nicely done hydro.

My biggest annoyance is ppl not saying gg, or anything at all. I don't mind if they think it wasn't a good game, but at least express something. I think we can all agree that there is some correlation between the people who lose the games and don't say gg.

I don't think hiding villagers is acceptable, unless there's been trash talk. When Iv been trash talked (which I never partake in or even reply to) I have no problem hiding villagers. But this only really happens when the trash talk has included the line "Im really a Major!".

That's another thing that I think is unacceptable, smurfing!
    I'm happy to play smurfs, I don't really care what level a player is, but i want to know about it. It's basically identity fraud!

I think alliances in FFA's are fine, although I never make alliances, it just makes it more fun for everyone because it gives the lower ranking players more of a chance.
    posted 05-24-08 04:34 AM EDT (US)     7 / 176  
    gl hf at the beginning too. Recently I've stopped saying gg so much because atm I get annoyed when I lose because it happens so much >_<

My grandmother slaps harder than the Agra Fort shoots. And she's dead. ~ Ender_Ward

By the same token, if I attempt to operate the mouse using nothing but my butt-cheeks, micro will also come down to "luck." ~ Beatnikjoe
    posted 05-24-08 05:01 AM EDT (US)     8 / 176  
    Thanks everyone for the contributions. I'll make a brief list of the main points of online etiquette in my main post. If you want to add to it or think that something in it is unacceptable, post here.

Giskard: Isn't BrianManahan liable to be banned anyway for being the smurf of a banned forumer (Tsar_Ivan_VII)?
    BrianManahan: I'm not sure who that is, Giskard, but I see what you is trying to do. I don't smurf >:O

(One day later) Moderator Announcements: Tsar_Ivan_VII / BrianManahan Banned Permanently - IP Match
    posted 05-24-08 05:07 AM EDT (US)     9 / 176  
    Also, don't complain about the "lameing" of civs in game. out of game or before hand you can ask for someone not to lame a civ, but if you play in a game with 5 japs in it and you are playing brits or the like, don't complain, you should have left.
    Hell, when I get some Japan shrineboomer nub I will make sure that he is not enjoying the game...

Alliances at FFA that are acknowledged by all players and aren't made before game start are fine TBH. But when I get teamed I will let them hear how much they suck etc. I try to avoid teaming, but sometimes you just have to make some strategi strikes as sioux while others are fighting to ensure your victory ^^
    posted 05-24-08 05:18 AM EDT (US)     10 / 176  
    what's 'drop tricking'?
    posted 05-24-08 07:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 176  
    Sure you are allowed to play india, but it is also fine to complain about OP lamers. And if enemy acts like idiot he deserves to search spies.

I dont care when people dont say gg, i care much more when the winners say gg when it obviously wasnt one.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 05-24-08 08:43 AM EDT (US)     12 / 176  
    I think it's a little rude when, for example sum1 joins a 2v2 game, taking the last spot and asks them to invite sum1, which usually results in the spare person being kicked. If sum1's there first then don't put the host in a situation where they have to either get rid of you or the one who was there b4 u. If u dont wanna play with them or without ur partner then leave.

In general i think researching spies is fine except where ur playing LoSt or similar, or where it has been stated that spies are not allowed.

[This message has been edited by grymanwr (edited 05-24-2008 @ 08:46 AM).]

posted 05-24-08 11:00 AM EDT (US)     13 / 176  
    One thing I think to be totally unacceptable is chatting in languages not everyone understands in FFA. I understand enough Dutch, English, French and German to find out what they're saying, but for the other people in the game it must be very annoying to have two French people talking to another while you don't understand a thing about it.
    Tru dat. I've been double teamed by idiots who carried on in Spanish, Dutch, and (more recently) Urdu (I think) in FFA games that were decidedly lopsided and team-riddled. There's no law against two compatriots carrying on in their own language in a game, but it's rude in a FFA to do so, use the language that everyone else is using or at the very least the host. If you're the host, introduce yourself to players and chat them up (don't just open a game and wander away waiting for Taunt 11 to draw you back out of the kitchen) so they know what to expect languagewise. If you get a couple of people in there who hit it off in <insert random language here>, open up a few more slots so these guys will be in the minority.

That's more by way of avoiding problems than it is etiquette.

As for trash talk, I don't respond to trash talk in-game and don't discuss my teammates shortcomings with the other team. People don't like whiners, either on their own team or the opposite team. I'm not there to take abuse from someone who I don't know. If you've had a bad day and your teammate played like a corporal TOO BAD.

Clanmates: If the game is gonna end up being TVB then by all means put it in the game title. Otherwise don't be surprised when good players come in and expect it to be random teams or fair teams.

First come first serve is the rule, but if you and a clanmate insist on staying together on the same team, don't sit there and block another person's clan because you don't want to face players from the same clan. Fair is fair.

If someone requests an invite for a clan member and theres and open slot, invite the guy's clan buddy. If it turns out to be Grunt or Phoenix or something, you can bring this up, but don't be a dick about it. yes, you have a right not to be forced to play a horribly lopsided game. Just explain the obvious unfairness and move on. Likewise, if you are a nooby and your clanmate is a Colonel, people will whine. Don't expect your game to fill up anytime soon. You might get a lot farther making it unrated or just getting better, so you and your teammate can play more rated games together.

Some people get all riled up about "gg" in any circumstance whatever. Don't use it. If you think it was a good game, type "Good game" or "well fought guys...good teamwork both sides". If you don't consider it a good game, e.g. someone lagged out, someone was a total idiot, you got raped by an OP civ, don't say anything. What goes around, comes around. Perfectly good teammates have made it onto my pest list because they were just such horrendous dicks to opposing teams. I was embarrassed to be on the same team. ESO2 is a small community and people remember who you are. You are whom you associate with.

For the same reason I won't play with or against known droptrickers. If your only way of dealing with setbacks and humiliation is to pull the plug, then by all means follow your own example IRL and off yourself.

Crunkatog on ESO
    Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
    Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
    schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
    Crunkatog on Steam.
    posted 05-24-08 11:02 AM EDT (US)     14 / 176  
    gg is the first thing you should type after the game is over

no matter how good or bad you played its like shaking hands after a sports game, common courtesy and shows that you at least respect the person you played

if they're being idiots type gg and leave it s that simple

ESO name: ryan_vball
    'i was just in a game vs i think india and he had sepots and something else'- adamh4325
    Usually periods are a bit smaller and less yellow, but I'll let it slide this time
    "Weed should be illegal, so should tobacco - and alcohol."-some random guy
    'And sex, because you might fall off the bed and hurt your ankle.'*GoForGoldenJarls*
    posted 05-24-08 11:19 AM EDT (US)     15 / 176  
    GG means good game. Dont type it when it wasnt a good game. Then you can just type something else like "sucks that he lagged out, next time better".

posted 05-24-08 11:39 AM EDT (US)     16 / 176  
    I type gg when I lose most of the times, I only don't type gg when I won and the other guy kept quiet or if the game sucked hard due to a lot of luck, lag or laming.

FFA Fun Series - Spring/Summer 07 winner
    posted 05-24-08 12:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 176  
    Whether I lose or win, I try to give help to the opponent, as long as they aren't asses. If they spam musketeers all game, don't tell them during the game when it'll help them, but rather at the end say 'Mate, You shouldn't just completely do muskets. Have some variety, and do the counters against a certain unit'.

Oh well. Also, I disagree about treasure stealing. Even though I do it occasionally, I find it very rude. You just wasted several minutes, etc, microing, trying to get a good treasure, to get it stolen. It's almost like having vils come into your base and steal your rescs crates.
    posted 05-24-08 01:02 PM EDT (US)     18 / 176  
    Treasure stealing doesnt exist, for simple reason no one owns that treasure.

Sure it sucks when someone does it, but it is perfectly fine to do. It also sucks when someone raids your settler succesfully, but that is also allowed.

posted 05-24-08 01:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 176  
    @ Pandar:

I agree with you about giving hints to your opponent. The only problem is that some might take it offensively. I won't put it into the Code because again it's more a matter of judgement, but it is a point worth noting.

However, I can't really say the same about your stance on treasure stealing. It is a genuine luck-based tactic that can be used to gain an advantage, just like treasure-gathering itself. If you dislike the fact that you've wasted micromanagement, try micro-ing the last two kills a little better to ensure the treasure's safety. Would you consider a very early rush or hit-and-run tactics "rude"? Also, the fact you mentioned theft of resource crates (another decent tactic with a balancing level of risk) as a cardinal sin leads me to believe that you are the sort of player who has a very rigid build order and can't bear to have it disrupted. There's nothing wrong with that if that's how you choose to play, but you might consider learning how to steal treasures and crates yourself instead of criticising others for doing so. This isn't a flame, it's just a suggestion I would recommend to you.

posted 05-24-08 01:14 PM EDT (US)     20 / 176  
    Whether I lose or win, I try to give help to the opponent, as long as they aren't asses. If they spam musketeers all game, don't tell them during the game when it'll help them, but rather at the end say 'Mate, You shouldn't just completely do muskets. Have some variety, and do the counters against a certain unit'.
    Don't do that unless they ask you. The last thing you want when you just lost a game is someone telling you what to do.
    posted 05-24-08 01:32 PM EDT (US)     21 / 176  
    Nothing wrong with giving some tips in a friendly way without opponent asking for it. Often enough they can then also give you some tips.

Of course you shouldnt make an entire list of everything he did wrong, but telling him that when he would have had more cav he would have won a battle, or better build his factories somewhere else is perfectly fine imo.

posted 05-24-08 02:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 176  
    Treasure stealing is completely legitimate as it can actually be a skill. Back in vanilla, I was playing a game against a PR 45 who is now inactive. He actually stole 6 of my treasures because of his scouting and my lack of protection. Since you can see when an opponent is attacking treasure guardians through the fog of war, its quite easy to go steal a big one if they don't protect the treasure well (ie moving right next to it before you kill off the last guardian and whatnot).

I really hate when people complain about treasure stealing. Its a part of the game and a tactic that gives you a fair edge if you know how to take advantage of it. You used a tactic that both players can use, which makes it far from cheating.

"Where can I find this meatshield? Is it in the TC?" ~sjalle

www.nerveclan.net
    posted 05-24-08 02:18 PM EDT (US)     23 / 176  
    Yeah, treasure stealing is perfectly legit. If you steal a treasure, then it was most likely poor micro on your opponent's part, them not paying attention, or even more likely yet, a combination of both. Treasure stealing is really just part of the game. The best ones are where their explorer gets knocked around by Grizzlies, you take the treasure, their explorer starts walking towards the treasure, and then you kill their explorer on top of stealing their treasure.

Saying that treasure stealing is rude is like saying raiding is also rude. Because a good raid is going to be the result of the same things listed above.

Crates work the same exact way as Giskard said. If the guy was stupid enough to leave them at a foward outpost where there are no longer villagers, or just one, etc. and you destroy the thing, it's perfectally acceptable to take the crates. Again, it's not your fault that your opponent made a gigantic mistake. The game is meant for you to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes and vice versa.

I like schild's quote. Perfect advice. It's not like they're stealing your TC or something.

All your treasures are belong to us.

I also don't necessarily agree with not saying "gg" before the game is over. In cases where the opponent is at about 20 points, running aroudn with one villager and you're at 300 with a huge army, the opponent is really just being a dick about it, so you every right to let him the the game is over quite bluntly if necessary. Running around with one villager is NOT acceptable by any means, well, unless you're both running around with just a few villies which has actually happened to me once.

"If you still have one or more villagers, it is perfectly acceptable to continue playing and trying to win. If your opponent demands that you resign, you are under no obligation to do so."

No. I need only point to the case of Ender Ward to show why this statement is completely wrong.

"If your opponent tells you that he/she needs to go and your opponent has been fairly courteous throughout the game, even if you have a couple of villagers left you should resign. This is a matter of judgement, but be considerate and reasonable."

I again have to disagree. For me, it boils down to don't start a game you can't finish. Again, taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes is in no way wrong. I consider this a mistake in their judgment.

"If you are winning, ask your opponent if he/she would consider resigning. If not, resign immediately."

That's a much more accurate way of putting it. The winning guy who has to leave has every right to ask you to resign, but you have every right to refuse.

A_S: "Cunni's pic wins thread otherwise failing due to being 5-7 years behind the times."
    "Brilliant cunni simply brilliant"
    C_MAG: "CunniJA's post is epic win."

[This message has been edited by CunniJA (edited 05-24-2008 @ 02:29 PM).]

posted 05-24-08 02:44 PM EDT (US)     24 / 176  
    Sorry didn't mean to punch out all of the options, but there are plenty more.

As to treasure stealing, I'm open to it, it is just part of the game and is hard to do properly.

New one: If you are playing a custom sero. with others, explain what it is beforehand, playing castle blood 2.0 with someone who doesn't know how to play is unfair for the other person, and it makes it boring for you.

Don't sandbag if you can help it. Partners droping or among the like have hindered my PR a bit, but I don't play weaker players when I know I play at a higher level.

If you want to just have a game where you want to test some new BO or strat. then make it unrated, don't complain that it was going to be "unbeatable" before hand.
    posted 05-24-08 05:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 176  
    @ CunniJA:

Your opinions are perfectly valid and reasonable, the only slight problem being that they contradict eachother.

You claim that players shouldn't start games they can't finish. So when you play a game and find that at the end, your opponent is determined to fight to the finish. How unsportmanslike! You'll have to spend an extra five minutes marking resources and stamping out the last vestiges of resistance. Or you'll be attacked by a surprise-built wave of troops that eventually goes on to defeat you. Neither of those are fair, though, right? You started the game with the clear understanding that you wanted a perfectly normal game that wouldn't exceed your expectations in any way... Oh wait a moment.

I'm sure we all agree that once you've lost, you've lost. If you cannot possibly rebuild, give up. However, if you have a villager (or a live explorer in the right circumstances) you can technically rebuild your entire base and potentially win the game. There are countless accounts of players having snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Your chances are nowhere near 50%, but if you micromanage well you can have a lot of fun.

However, there is one slight problem with playing desperado. Very often players with busy lives can set aside plenty of time for a game but then have something interrupt them. If so, doesn't the player who has already nearly won deserve to get the victory points? The "fight 'til the finish" style is the most fun and rewarding way to play, but if you believe your opponent genuinely has to go you ought to let them have the victory they would almost certainly have achieved anyway.

[This message has been edited by Giskard (edited 05-24-2008 @ 05:45 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Age of Empires 3 Online Etiquette
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames