Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Guide: Mongolia
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-30-09 02:59 AM EDT (US)   
A Map Guide to Mongolia – By James246 – TAD1.01a

I've always liked Mongolia. Not very many people like the Asian Maps, but Mongolia, along with Siberia are my favourite Asian Maps.

Map Description:

Players begin in generous grassland. To the north lie the fertile slopes of the steppe, where players will have to extend their reach in order to bolster their economies and reach the distant Trade Route. The number of grazing animals is astounding, and can be utilized to great advantage.

Map Information:

Mongolia is a map, with a rich resource region to the north, where there is a Trade Route. The resources around your town will run out fast, causing you to head north.

The map has a few good treasures, including a scout at your TC which is very useful. Look at the Common Treasures Section for more info.

On Mongolia the Natives are somewhat useful. The Sufi have a technology that allow you to train more villagers, and the Shaolin have a technology which can improve the Hand Damage that Ranged Infantry do. Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Starting Crates:

On Mongolia, you will start with your usual starting crates. You receive no bonus/extra crates.

Map Layouts:

1v1:

Team:

FFA:

Trading Posts:

Trading Route:

There will always be a Trading Route that runs along the top of the map. Sometimes the route will have 3 Sites, sometimes 4 and even 5.

Natives:

There will be either 4 Native Trading Posts or 5 in big team games or big FFA's.

These will be a pick from:

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Shaolin

Basic overview

The Shaolin can train Rattan Shield units, and provide three unique technologies. They can improve the amount of hand damage that ranged infantry deal, improve your wood gathering rates, and they can also allow Rattan Shields to deal more damage. You can have 15 Rattan Shields for each Shaolin trading post you control, and they appear on three standard maps; Yellow River, Silk Road and Mongolia.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Shaolin | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Sufi

Basic overview

Aside from using the Indians, the Sufi are the only way you can access to war elephant units. The Sufi offer a variety of economical improvements. The first increases the maximum amount of villagers your civilization can have, the second allows your villagers to gather more at the expense of their HPs, and lastly they can give you a scaled amount of fattened goats depending on how long the game has lasted. You can have up to 6 War Elephants for each Sufi trading post you have standing, and they appear on 5 standard maps; Deccan, Boreno, Indochina, Silk Road and Mongolia.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Sufi | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

Resources:

Food:

Musk Deer: (400 Food) These huntables will be spread around the whole map.

Saigi: (400 Food) These huntables will be spread around the whole map.

Berries: (1000 Food) You will always have these at your TC, with no more scattered around the map.

Yaks: (50/500 Food at start of game. Fattening food source) There will be pairs of these all over the map up for grabs.

Coin:

Gold Mine: (5000 Coin) There will be one of these at your TC, and a few scattered around the map.

Silver Mine: (2500 Coin) These will be scattered around the whole map.

Wood:

Trees: There will be trees scattered around the whole map in small clumps, but sometimes large.

Common Treasures:

To learn more about Treasure Hunting, check out A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon

A trapped native scout, who may join the cause of a rescuer.
Guardian/s: 1x Lion-Tailed Macaque

A crate of plums worth 30 Food.
Guardian/s: 1x Lion

Fragrant cinnamon quills worth 55 Coin.
Guardian/s: 1x Mongol Rider

Succulent eggplant worth 60 Food.
Guardian/s: 2x Black Panther

A stand of Deodar cedar worth 90 Wood.
Guardian/s: 2x Lion

A stand of spruce trees worth 85 Wood.
Guardian/s: 2x Tiger

The free scout treasure will always be at your TC, while the other treasures are scattered around the map.

Strategy/Game play Options:

This map has a lot of resources to the north, making it a great idea to take control up there early, as your resources at your town will run out early. The Trading Route has a few sites that you can build on once you take control of the north. At your starting TC, there is a treasure with a trapped Native Scout that is guarded by a Lion-Tailed Macaque. It's a great idea to get this treasure early, to help you scout out the map. It's also a good idea to take the Natives, as they can be quite useful. This map is suitable for rushing due to the resources, or it can also be used as a Treaty Map, due to no obstructions on walling off. Mongolia is a competitive map which will make some good game play.

Note: Mongolia is included in the Asian Maps and Standard Maps rotation.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-01-2009 @ 00:29 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-30-09 04:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
nice james, nice

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]
posted 01-30-09 04:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Thank you.

I expected it to be really quick and easy to make a map guide, but it is actually quite time consuming!
posted 01-30-09 04:32 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
Nicely done, and also as an addition a think i noticed about mongolia:

In 5 player FFA the HOST is always on the far LEFT side of the map.

'09 Match Of Death Winner

My elorating

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. -Napoleon
posted 01-30-09 05:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
No offence, but who needs a guide for a map?
posted 01-30-09 05:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
No offence, but who needs a guide for a map?
It's for the Special Name contest. (Sticky at top of General Discussions)

I fixed the BB Code as well, so the Italics and Underlining are in the right place.

Enjoy
posted 01-30-09 05:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
maybe we should make a complete map guide with all maps?

¨°ºO "All you big boys stay back and let me do my thaaaang"Oº°‘¨
posted 01-30-09 05:37 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
That sounds good. Maybe three, one for each expansion.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-30-09 05:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
I think it's better doing them individually.

I'll leave some for you guys to do now
posted 01-30-09 05:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
I mean everybody does 1-2 guides for example and then we would just stick them togehter into a big guide

b/c now they are not organized

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 01-30-2009 @ 05:44 AM).]

posted 01-30-09 05:43 AM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Yeah. Maybe they could create a new section in the forums for the guide.

You know, like in list along with the other ones like "general discussions" and "stragety central" etc, only it would be locked maybe. (or maybe not)

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!

[This message has been edited by sawyer (edited 01-30-2009 @ 05:46 AM).]

posted 01-30-09 05:45 AM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
+1

Edit: yeah that would be a better idea than mine.

cause then everybody could do their map guides individually and it would still be organaized in one sector

[This message has been edited by ckei (edited 01-30-2009 @ 05:54 AM).]

posted 01-30-09 05:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
btw I don't even know where to find them lol

posted 01-30-09 06:02 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Good guide james!

posted 01-30-09 06:09 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
What Cookie and Kivlov are planning to do, is once they have enough of all of these Special Name guides, is to organise them into one big heap.
t is long overdue to update and refresh the site, and you all can help! We have much information from the two previous age games, Vanilla and TWC, but are lacking in TAD information. What i ask of you hardy forummers is not mandatory by any means, it is an encouragement to help in what two of five moderators could never do.

What we need is more information! More Guides! More everything! You, the forumers will submit articles to me or LordKivlov, who will assess them and organize the entire block that we get.
I'm guessing that means sorting everything out into different sections.

I'm guessing they will make "Map Guides" sub sections etc.

We'll just have to wait and see...

Anyway, back on topic! Grrr!

If this thread get's locked, you better watch out!
posted 01-30-09 06:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
ok, its a good guide as I said James.

u might want to change the map layout thing, cause now it takes up really much space

posted 01-30-09 08:21 AM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
ha someone should do a map guide for unknown,, that would be a lot of screen shots..

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
posted 01-30-09 01:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
ha someone should do a map guide for unknown,, that would be a lot of screen shots..
Lol, daaaang.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 01-30-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
UNKNOWN MAPS

(screen pic of donut map with trading post sockets overlapping cliffs, so they're not buildable)

Map Description: Random terrain types, random natives, decidedly nonrandom distribution of resources (they're all on the far side of the map, no matter what your starting position is). Most of the time, it's a donut.

Starting Crates: Minimum specified starting crates for your civ. Sometimes your TC will spawn very close to a cliff edge. To retrieve your crates, find a way to get a villager on top of the cliff.

Map layouts: Donut, Jelly Donut, and Bagel. The Bagel has 2 trading sockets, and the Donut has 4. The Jelly Donut has 5 or more, and extra berry bushes. Trade post yields are deceptively high - some as high as 300 XP a pass - but remember that the trading cart moves more slowly on these maps because they are walking through strawberry jam or chocolate icing.

Natives: Any combination of natives can appear on any map style. An example might be 4 Carib posts and 1 Nootka post. In fact, this is the combination most frequently found on all Unknown maps. It's like the Alcan highway ran right through a jerk chicken shack. Good luck!

Resources: Wherever you're not. All mines in the middle, hunts clustered behind your opponents starting locations, sometimes the central pond of the donut is replaced by a giant forest and that's all the wood in the map. If you're one of those blessed souls who happens to be the opponent and have all the resources on your side, they will be clustered around your tc so you have to chop and mine in order to have room to build.

Common treasures:

A trapped native warrior in need of rescue.
Guardians: 3 other native warriors he's pissed off in the past.

A packet of coriander seeds worth 50 food.
Guardians: 1 polar bear

The lost logbook of El Pollo Guapo, granting +10% warship HP.
Guardians: 6 pistoleros. Found only on land maps.

A trapped Coureur des Bois, in need of rescue.
Guardians: 5 wolves and a clifftop. Hope your explorer brought some climbing equipment!

A dime bag worth 10 coin. (Freebie)

A lost Twinkie worth 20 food. (Freebie)

A wrinkled up dollar bill from the couch cushions of Empress Zoe worth 100 XP.
Guardians: 4 very heavy couch cushions and 2 ferocious dust bunnies.

Strategy/Gameplay:
Since resources are very unbalanced, your firstline strategy should be to hit the Resign button before 2 minutes have passed. Failing that, the best strategy to use on Unknown maps is to play Aztecs and Janey-rush the opponent while building warhuts next to the one Nootka post so he can't get Bark Cloth.

Another useful strategy on Unknown maps is to build a dock on the central pond and then proceed to FI. Spam monitors and tlalocs into the pond and cheese your way to victory.

A third way is to switch colours at the last minute. You are now red, and he is blue. He will assume his tc is the red one, and task his villagers to hunts farther away. This will buy you needed time to build a tower over the sole mine on the map and cut him off from gold for the entire game. You can also use this to your advantage if you're hosting a game in the game browser.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 01-30-2009 @ 02:11 PM).]

posted 01-30-09 03:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
If I could stick that whole thing as a quote in my sig, I would.

ESO2: Kyle_The_Brave
Clan: Proud Officer of Trỉρℓε ΣņτễηţϠ, [TΣ]

"Why make your own inspirational quotes when you can just read the side of O_Man's Ssips juices?" - A wise prophet
"The best way to die is to spontaneously combust during a drum solo battle with Lars Ulrich" - The Blair
posted 01-30-09 04:05 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Lol As_Saffa, that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

"Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another.”

Immanual Kant
posted 01-30-09 05:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
ha at first i thought that was like serious till i read it
very nice,

im wanting a donut and a twinkie now..

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
posted 01-30-09 08:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
im wanting a donut and a twinkie now..
im more excited about the dimebag

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
"So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
"I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
posted 01-30-09 08:35 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
im more excited about the dimebag
Im sure Saffah didnt mean it like that :P
posted 01-30-09 10:33 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
Obv you have to find them in the correct order, i.e. dimebag first and then munchies.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 01-30-09 10:37 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Let's keep on topic
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Map Guide: Mongolia
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames