Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Guide: California
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-30-09 04:21 AM EDT (US)   
A Map Guide to California – By James246 – TAD1.01a

California was one of the very first games that I can remember that I played Age of Empires 3 on. I’ve always liked this map.

Map Description:

California is a beautiful area along the Pacific Ocean. Towering redwoods line the shore, giving way to first mountains, then to the Mojave Desert to the east. Two native settlements of Klamath and/or Nootka are on opposite map sides, and there are always four Trading Post sites along the Trade Route.

Map Information:

California is a great looking map. It looks really good due to all of the big trees and the water to the side. It is sure to make you love this map. Enough with the looks!

California has a big strip of water on it's left hand side. This water always has a lot of fish and whales - but sometimes, no whales will be present.

The land is also a nice place, with a fair few herds and mines. Sometimes these herds are a far way away from your TC, so Outposts are strongly recommended.

In 1v1's, usually one player will be starting near the water, and another player will be starting to the desert in the east, with a long way to the water. Starting in the east makes it a bit harder if you want to fish-boom, but, you can still pull it off.

The Natives on California are also somewhat useful. With the Klamtath, they have a technology which you can gather all resources 5% faster which can pay itself off quickly. The Nootka on the other hand have a technology which boosts all your villagers HP by a whopping 50%, which can help to defend from raids. Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Starting Crates:

On California, you will start with your usual starting crates. You receive no bonus/extra crates.

Map Layouts:

1v1:

Team:

FFA:

Trading Posts:

Trading Route:

There will always be a Trading Route going through the middle of the map. It will always have four Trading Post sites.

Natives:

There will always be two Native Trading Post sites.

These will be a pick from:

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka

Basic overview

The Nootka can train Nootka Clubman. Their technology is mostly put towards these units; one of these technologies allows you to train Nootka faster and more cheaply, another allows you to build a Nootka War Chief, and the last gives a significant boost to the HPs of your villagers. You can have 15 Nootka Clubman for each Nootka trading post that you hold, and they appear on two standard maps; Yukon and California.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Klamath

Basic overview

The Klamath allow you to produce train Klamath Rifleman. They also give access to a variety of technologies; one improves the gather rates for all resources, another improves the damage that Klamath Rifleman do, and the last gives a progressively increasing amount of food crates - depending on how long you delay researching this technology. You can have 13 Rifleman for every Klamath trading post that you hold, and out of the standard maps, California is the only one where they make an appearance.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Klamath | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

Resources:

Food:

Deer: (400 Food) These huntables will be scattered around the land part of the map.

Elk: (400 Food) These huntables will be scattered around the land part of the map.

Sheep: (50/300 Food at start of game. Fattening food source) You will always have some of these herdables at your TC at the start of the game. The amount you get depends on the amount of players in the game. The amounts can vary, with sometimes even getting 8 Sheep!

Fish – Salmon: (500 Food) There will be lots of these fish to the water to the west.

Coin:

Gold Mine: (5000 Coin) These will be scattered around the land part of the map.

Humpback Whale: (Unlimited Coin) These Whales will be scattered around the water to the west. Sometimes, no whales are present on the map.

Wood:

Trees: (300 Wood) These will be scattered around the whole map in big forests.

Common Treasures:

To learn more about Treasure Hunting, check out A Guide to Treasure Hunting - By Mokon

A den of muskrats worth 10-50 Coin (Always varies. There are always a few of these on the map.)
Guardian/s: No guardians.

A stand of cottonwood trees worth 80 Wood.
Guardian/s: 2x Grizzly Bear

A stand of redwood trees worth 150 Wood.
Guardian/s: 3x Grizzly Bear

A Medicine Man, who will join your cause if rescued.
Guardian/s: 4x Cougar

A stand of spruce trees worth 60 Wood
Guardian/s: 2x Cougar

A hummingbird nest worth 40 XP.
Guardian/s: 1x Cougar

Cacti covered with cochineal worth 30 Coin.
Guardian/s: 1x Cougar

Strategy/Game play Options:

Due to the water, a fish boom is always a good idea. But, sometimes no whales are present on the water, which causes a problem for once you have gathered all the fish. But, due to the amount of fish, it might take a while to finish them all! It's a good idea for the Ottomans with all their starting wood, or the British who always seem to have a lot of wood to go for this fish boom. Make sure you ship in 2 Caravels to control the water! The land section of the map is also very useful - if you control it. You have to make sure to take map control early, due to the lack of resources near your town. California is a very nice map, ensuring competitive game play!

Note: This map is included in the Standard Maps Rotation.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-01-2009 @ 01:01 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-30-09 04:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
nice, you may need to fix the problem up the top of the page

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]
posted 01-30-09 04:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
Yup. I've got to go to dinner now. Grahh! Now it's all bold!

I'll fix it in a few hours guys
posted 01-30-09 04:26 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
lol

Eso: Sir_SR

Some say that he only faces the north pole, and that he thought that the "credit crunch" was a ceral brand, all we know is he's call THE STIG! - Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

[this message has been edited due to the lameness of Strategic Joel]
posted 01-30-09 04:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Have a good dinner. Be sure to tell us all about it in the Saloon.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-30-09 05:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
All fixed. I also edited around with the BB Code, so in the sub-sections it's underlining then italics instead of being italics then underling.
posted 01-30-09 05:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Looks good I might have to read it

btw How was your dinner James?

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-30-09 05:28 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
Thanks. You should read it.

Dinner was ok
posted 01-30-09 06:43 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
James, I too like California. Even been there a few times.

A couple of points that you don't pick up:

1. Sheep - yes, there are starting sheep but, on occasions you get a shed load even in a 1v1. Something like 8. I don't know what seems to control this.

2. Whales - are not always present on the map. In fact I would guess maybe only a quarter or a third of the time.

3. On 1v1 you can be a very long way from the water with limited hunting and fairly thing trees.

I hope your Mum cooked you something good.

Tough on slogans and the causes of slogans.
posted 01-30-09 06:50 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
Thanks MightyFish
posted 01-30-09 11:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
Nice Guide.

ESO: Temerit
Favorite Comics: Stephen Colbert and John Stewart

[This message has been edited by Temerity (edited 01-30-2009 @ 11:28 AM).]

posted 01-30-09 11:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
Completely re-designed the Natives Section.
Natives:

There will always be two Native Trading Post sites.

These will be a pick from:

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka

Basic overview

The Nootka can train Nootka Clubman. Their technology is mostly put towards these units; one of these technologies allows you to train Nootka faster and more cheaply, another allows you to build a Nootka War Chief, and the last gives a significant boost to the HPs of your villagers. You can have 15 Nootka Clubman for each Nootka trading post that you hold, and they appear on two standard maps; Yukon and California.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Nootka | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Image from Minor Natives Guide - Klamath

Basic overview

The Klamath allow you to produce train Klamath Rifleman. They also give access to a variety of technologies; one improves the gather rates for all resources, another improves the damage that Klamath Rifleman do, and the last gives a progressively increasing amount of food crates - depending on how long you delay researching this technology. You can have 13 Rifleman for every Klamath trading post that you hold, and out of the standard maps, California is the only one where they make an appearance.

Basic overview from Minor Natives Guide - Klamath | Click for more information, including all the units you can train and the technologies you can research.

Most of the information above in the Natives section came from the Minor Natives Guide - By Peachrocks, StR_VipeR, DAMNIT

I would like to give a huge thank you to all the effort they put into that guide.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 01-30-2009 @ 11:50 PM).]

posted 01-31-09 07:00 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
brits have to much wood? lol

nice guide tho.

Mudkips did 9/11 - The way I see it is, I'm playing this game for the fun of it, not to prove that I have a fiery E-wang of doom.
posted 01-31-09 07:02 AM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
Cranking map guides out fast are we? Good guide, but same opinion of map guides as my other posts.
posted 01-31-09 10:44 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
Nice write up, ottos own on this map with extra strating crates makes them very hard to beat on this map. I like it for the berries incase you run out of hunts, then you can stay at your base and just boom. This is also a good map for land and water battles. One of those maps where people boom on both land and water. Also russia own on this map if your rushing because those starting crates give them a huge speed advantage and you can rush so fast.

[This message has been edited by Tyler McIntosh (edited 01-31-2009 @ 10:51 AM).]

posted 01-31-09 10:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
posted 01-31-09 10:08 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
Thanks Tyler and Moshe
posted 01-31-09 11:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
whats tyler talking about? you dont get extra crates,,,

i think he is thinking of carolina maybe...

iTech64
My Strategies:French Semi-FF | French 2x Musket Rush | French 2x Xbow Rush
My Mapguides: Northwest Territories
posted 02-01-09 00:07 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Edited the following bits.

Map Information:

California is a great looking map. It looks really good due to all of the big trees and the water to the side. It is sure to make you love this map. Enough with the looks!

California has a big strip of water on it's left hand side. This water always has a lot of fish and whales - but sometimes, no whales will be present.

The land is also a nice place, with a fair few herds and mines. Sometimes these herds are a far way away from your TC, so Outposts are strongly recommended.

The Natives on California are also somewhat useful. With the Klamtath, they have a technology which you can gather all resources 5% faster which can pay itself off quickly. The Nootka on the other hand have a technology which boosts all your villagers HP by a whopping 50%, which can help to defend from raids. Check out the natives section down a bit further for more information.

Strategy/Game play Options:

Due to the water, a fish boom is always a good idea. But, sometimes no whales are present on the water, which causes a problem for once you have gathered all the fish. But, due to the amount of fish, it might take a while to finish them all! It's a good idea for the Ottomans with all their starting wood, or the British who always seem to have a lot of wood to go for this fish boom. Make sure you ship in 2 Caravels to control the water! The land section of the map is also very useful - if you control it. You have to make sure to take map control early, due to the lack of resources near your town. California is a very nice map, ensuring competitive game play!
posted 02-01-09 00:12 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
they appear on two standard maps; Yukon and California.
Nootka appear on Saguenay also.

[This message has been edited by zezarak (edited 02-01-2009 @ 00:19 AM).]

posted 02-01-09 00:16 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
I'm sorry, but I think your mistaken with another Native Tribe.

Minor Natives Guide - Nootka
posted 02-01-09 00:18 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
Yeah they are on Sarguenay.
Lol.
Same thing as I just said.
posted 02-01-09 00:31 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
Ah, no they are not...
Basic overview

Link: http://viper.sanctuary-network.com/natives_guide/nootka.htm
posted 02-01-09 00:56 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
I'll tell you something. If you remove the treasure list, and that resource list, i might stop considering this guide as pure crap.

Then, if you say somwhere that in a 1v1, most of the times there will be a player starting bear the water, and the other player starts in the east, the desertic part of california, with a long way to the water, and you say the advatages and disadvantages of both position for every civ, and what you say it's correct, i might start considering this guide as "avarage", or maybe more.
posted 02-01-09 01:02 AM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
Added:

In 1v1's, usually one player will be starting near the water, and another player will be starting to the desert in the east, with a long way to the water. Starting in the east makes it a bit harder if you want to fish-boom, but, you can still pull it off.
I'll tell you something. If you remove the treasure list, and that resource list, i might stop considering this guide as pure crap.
It's staying. IMO, it's a must have to a Map Guide.

[This message has been edited by James246 (edited 02-01-2009 @ 01:02 AM).]

posted 02-01-09 01:27 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Yeah, knowing that both Deers and Elks got 400 food is something absolutely necessary that contributes to making the guide better.

Seriously, we, and almost all forumers that aren't complete retards, know that both your resource list and your treasure list are just bullshit to take up space, and make it appear as a big guide.

If you remove them, your guide will be easier to read, and it won't bore forumers to death (then, they'll just get bored till they fal asleep)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Map Guide: California
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames