General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Map Guide: Borneo
posted 01-30-09 02:28 PM EDT (US)   
Map Description:

Borneo is a water map with a (relatively) small land mass in the middle with water surrounded all around. It is an Asian map with unique water and land treasures. The fact that the land is so small means that conflict will likely happen quickly, and in FFA, land will be at a premium. Having a navy is crucial. There are no special crates such as on maps like Hispaniola, Carolina, and so on.

There are large amounts of resources everywhere to be found.

Map Layouts:

1v1:

2v2:

FFA:

Trading Posts:

Trade Routes:
In Non-FFA maps, there are two routes (one on each teams side) with the amount of posts depending on how many people are playing. Each post give's roughly 50-60 food\coin\wood\xp each round. They're worth building as they'll give you a steady supply of resources.

In FFA maps, there is a large square trade route in the middle.

Natives:
There are usually two native posts to build on each map. They tend to be on the left and right sides of the map. On a FFA map, they're near or in the square of trade routes.

These natives are:

Sufi

Native Units:
War Elephant
Cost: 200 Food, 80 Wood (398 Villager seconds)

HP: 425

Speed: 6

Resistance: Ranged 30%

Hand attack: 20, Cap 40, Area 2, ROF 1.5, Bonuses: Infantry 1.5x, Heavy Infantry 0.67x

Siege attack: 36, ROF 3

Train time: 40

A great unit for taking out mass groups of LI*, such as lbows, strelets (heh, watch those +6s!), and so on.
(source:http://viper.sanctuary-network.com/natives_guide/sufi.htm

Technologies:
Pilgrimage

Cost: 250 food, 250 coin

Effect: Delivers 1 fattened Goat for every 2 minutes of game time

Since grazing animals (yaks, cows, sheep, goats) are gathered quickly (a cross between actual hunting and gathering from crates), they're good for killing and getting food quickly. For optimum gathering, have 4 villagers on each goat. Wait until about 12-16 minutes for a profit.

Fasting

Cost: 200 wood, 200 coin

Effect: Villagers gather all resources 10% faster but have 40% less HP

This is basically an 'economic theory' card that makes your villagers a bit weaker - this is a good tech if you're confident you have map control or you're turtling, as then it won't matter how weak or strong your villagers are.

Sharia

Cost: 100 food, 100 coin

Effect: Maximum villager build limit is increased by 10%

Pretty straightford. Most people have now build 108 villagers, French can build 88, Japan can build 82, and Dutch can build 55.

Jesuit

Native Units:

Cost: 85 Food, 70 Wood (241 Villager seconds)

HP: 180

Speed: 7.3

Resistance: Ranged 30%

Ranged attack: 17, ROF 3, Range 12 (Bonuses: Villager 0.5x, Heavy cavalry 3x, Coyote man 2.75x, Artillery 2x)

Hand attack: 10, ROF 1.5 (Bonuses: Heavy cavalry 3x, Coyote man 2.75x, Artillery 2x)

Siege attack: 9, ROF 3

Train time: 30

These are really like weak Dragoons, and are only better in their train time and slightly cheaper cost. Only good for the extra umph you need for natives. You shouldn't use them in place of other anti-cav.

Techs:

Flying Buttress

Cost: 250 wood, 250 coin

Effect: Buildings gain +20% HP

This is a half-improved buildings card. It, again, is straightforward and good for defending your buildings.

Smokeless Powder

Cost: 250 food, 250 coin

Effect: Gunpowder units have +30% siege attack

A good tech for musketeer civs - it'll really boost a janissaries siege damage. Of course, it'll increase skirmisher attack, but that'll be minimal. Some civs will have almost no use for this - such as the Aztecs.

Christian Schools

Cost: 100 wood, 100 coin

Effect: Villagers train 15% faster

A good, straight-forward tech for booming.

The Jesuits are good defensive civ - two techs are great for booming\defending, while their unit, Conquistadors, are defensive in nature. A heavy consideration when planning to turtle on this map.

Resources

Hunts:
Serow: 400 Food
Wild Elephant: 1000 Food
Berry Bush: 1000 Food (gathering rate of mills)

Coin:
Silver Mine: 2000 Coin. One at each starting TC
Gold Mine: 5000 Coin. Scattered around the map.

Trees:
There are huge amounts of forests on this map. Wood shouldn't be a problem for a long time.

Treasures:
Borneo is full of unique techs, with powerful guardians. Be prepared to fight.

Land:
375 Coin
3x Fugitive Dacoits
2x Delinquient Thugees

40 Wood
1x Black Panther

65 Coin
4x Macaques (Great for area of effect explorers like Sioux and Indians)

Rhino
5x Black Panther

100 XP
2x Orangutans

Gurkha
2x Rhino

300 Wood
5x Fugitive Dacoits

90 Wood
2x Tiger

40 Coin
1x Tiger

145 Wood
3x Orangutans

90 Food
3x Monitor Lizard

Water
Water treasures are great if you have a large navy (2-3 galleons\frigates, 10 canoes, etc). Otherwise, don't attempt it or you'll be crushed.

-5% Warship building time
2x Bandit Catamaran

150 Coin
2x Orca

125 Coin
2x Great White Shark

290 Wood
1x Fa-she (Asian ship)

200 Coin
3x Bandit Catamaran

125 XP
2x Great White Shark

275 Food
1x Yao Jing (Asian ship)

100 Wood
2x Great White Shark

Strategy\Analysis
This map is almost made exactly for the Portugese - it has many treasures that are perfect for building xp and warship bonuses. It's many dragoon improvements will also boost conquistadors. It can also pull off a large turtle\boom with the 2\3 TCs, and a fish boom. The +30% gunpowder siege tech will help boost Portugal's best units: Guirreros and Cassadores. Give consideration to playing them on this map.

Although, any civ that can pull of a turtle\boom (Aztecs are another good one for their fire pit, warhuts, excellent native navy, and 15 wood fishing boats!) can do rather good.

Thanks for reading, this took me about two hours to finish!
Replies:
posted 01-30-09 10:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Nice, nice... Very nice.

I don't think you need all the info on the natives though. I think you should just put a link in.

That's what I might do on mine... Put a link to the Native Settlements page.

Anyway, it's great! You see, it does take more than 5 minutes!
posted 01-30-09 11:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Ugh it does take a while. I thought having each native would give me a chance to relate each one to another in my own view and leave comments on them.

But thanks.

Formerly Pandar.
ESO: Derek_Zoolander
posted 01-30-09 11:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
Nice write up, good effort.
posted 01-30-09 11:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Derek, you could check out my guides.

I've completely redesigned the Natives Section.
posted 01-31-09 00:01 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Looks good mate.

Formerly Pandar.
posted 01-31-09 00:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
James how many of these you going to do?
posted 01-31-09 01:15 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
I'm not too sure. Why?
posted 01-31-09 01:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
I think he thinks you posted this thread.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-31-09 01:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Should I do more map guides?
posted 01-31-09 01:39 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
It's up to you, mate.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
posted 01-31-09 01:43 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Well I was just wondering because you have done tons and I wasn't sure if you were going to do one for every map, or just the maps you know best.
posted 01-31-09 01:45 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Tons? I've done 3 Map Guides....

I want to do more, but than I'll feel bad cause others won't be able to do them
posted 01-31-09 01:52 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Oh you have only done 3 sorry...I guess the other ones were from other people. Well make a deal with others on who does what.
posted 01-31-09 01:52 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
I want to do more, but than I'll feel bad cause others won't be able to do them
Well you can if you want, just as long as they're very good and completely original.

Man Ty beat me to the post

[This message has been edited by sawyer (edited 01-31-2009 @ 01:53 AM).]

posted 01-31-09 07:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Lol, what's with the lack of thinking up real strategies? Btw, good guide derek. Gonna be posting AR/BR soon?
posted 01-31-09 01:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
Lol, what's with the lack of thinking up real strategies? Btw, good guide derek. Gonna be posting AR/BR soon?
Working on it.

It's more of a page and a half lecture and then a short BO than anything. I ramble too much in my posts. >___>

Formerly Pandar.
posted 04-04-09 01:33 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Another nice map guide. I had not even considered the Portuguese for this map, but they do make sense. Some things to keep in mind on this map is that even when playing the computer, you are going to be fighting sooner rather than later, and some of the treasures are doing to take a bit of fighting to get. Do not go after the Great White Sharks with a standard caravel unless you want to have a real good chance at being sunk. Same thing with the pirate junks. Two upgraded caravels are needed to take them consistently. I have done some resource upgrades in my game, so the resource benefits are even greater. Oh, I have also made some of the animal guardians quite a bit nastier too.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Map Guide: Borneo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames