Tech Help & Website Feedback
Moderated by Maffia

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: **Official Sound Cutout/Glitching Thread**
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 09-09-05 03:23 PM EDT (US)   
Hey...I've seen that many people like myself have been making threads regarding sound issues. So, i figured that everyone can post their specific problems and computer specs here. Hopefully if a solution is reached, it will be noted in this thread. This problem has been observed on low-end and high-end machines.

Symptoms that I have had and others have had include:
-Glitched sound during gameplay and cutscenes (sometimes you can hear clicks in the background)
-During cutscenes, the very end of characters' lines are cut off
-After playing for an undetermined amount of time, or until something triggers it, the sound cuts out (NOTE the music still continues to play...but then quits after about 20 minutes, untill you attack and that music starts)
-Sound DOES functions when you exit to the main menu
-One time my game quit to the desktop a few minutes after the sound effects cut out.

-I have also noticed that my cutscenes are a bit choppy. Along with the choppyness of the video is choppy sound. However I'm not sure if others have this problem.

My Specs:
-Dell Dimension 4600
-P4 2.8ghz HT
-512MB Ram Upgraded to 1536MB Ram
-ATI Radeon 9800PRO
-SoundBlaster LIVE 5.1

I encourage you to post your symptoms, specs, and any fixes for this problem in this thread using the format I used. Thank you...hopefully if we work together we can work this bug out

UPDATE:
We have found a temporary fix(Check update 2 first)...it worked for some, but may not work for everyone. On WindowsXP, go to start, then Run. Type in "dxdiag" without the quotes, and if it asks to scan for problems just hit no. Then at the top go to the sound tab, and in that box you should see hardware acceleration. slide that to basic and then try playing the game. hopefully your sound will not cut out. we obviously need a permanent fix for this though. (Thanks decowboy. The original thread for this fix can be viewed here http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,23722,0,10)

UPDATE 2:
Alrighty...whether it be permanent or temporary, official or homebrew, two of our community members have come up with some great solutions!
MonoAger:
i had the same problem as you guys, fixed it.
Codec problem for me:

http://forum.agecommunity.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=22475

worked perfect

btw the gspot version they refer to in this post is 2.51 the stable version. If you downloaded the k-lite pack you might have gspot 2.52beta.

Gspot

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me
*This one fixed an audio problem affecting my entire computer! Thanks*

DonDiegoDelavega
I taked to a guy in the czech republic and he figured out that the problem is a corrupted sound file called leisurlybrows. It is in the standard folder in the music folder. Delete it and you will have no more problems. You will have to make a new folder and name it standard and put all the other sound files in the original standard folder in the new standard folder. Then delete the original and replace it with the new one. because if you try to delete leisurlybrows by itself windows will say explorer caused an error and won't let you. I have had no problems since I did this.
*I am trying this right now as it has been confirmed to work Thanks!!*

Good Work guys!

[This message has been edited by Sifka4 (edited 10-26-2005 @ 02:59 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-09-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 67  
Symptoms- Sound starts out normal, then dies during gameplay all of a sudden. Music continues.
My specs:

P4. 3.0 GHz, HT
1024 MB RAM
ATI Radeon X300SE PCI-E
Sounblaster Live! Series

posted 09-09-05 05:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 67  
Heres an update. I was playing a skirmish today and everything started out fine apart from the stuttering/clicking sounds when sounds are heard. About 5 minutes into the game, my sound cut out. However i could hear the sound when switching back and forth from my home city (the only sound was the one you get when you press a menu button.) eventually, this disappeared. After about 10-20 minutes, the music stopped. I played the game for about 45 minutes with no sound or music. I attacked the enemy's town hall and then battle music started. shortly after, i won the game. I returned to the main menu and there was sound, then i quit. There's today's experience.
posted 09-09-05 05:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 67  
posted 09-09-05 05:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 67  
Same i have the same sound pronblem but my friend doesnt. I reinstaled didnt help... dont know what to do i am going to have one of my moder friends look at it tonight makes reborn mod for cc he should beable to fix it.
posted 09-09-05 05:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 67  
JPinsk29:
What exactly is acceleration? Do you know if users will experience downgrades (of sound) in other areas of the game? in other games?
posted 09-09-05 07:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 67  
i have no sound completely, never had it. reinstalled a few times and still dont have sound.

amd 2400xp
9600xt
1gb ram
integraded sound.

posted 09-09-05 08:14 PM EDT (US)     7 / 67  
Guess I'll post here too since I don't see any 'official' reaction. Hopefully some kind of patch to fix the demo, in light of so many issues with it. Same symptoms here, game sounds turn into a series of beeps and squeals and then computer hard boots. If I exit the game while the noises are occuring, the computer reboots when I reach the desktop. No other games with this problem.

Tried disabling DirectSound acceleration and works okay tho does CTD randomly. I am thinking it is a combination of our sound blaster cards and maybe something else?

My Specs from dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: MS-7125
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 226MB used, 2197MB available
Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0140&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A2
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: IBM P260
Monitor Max Res: 1920,1440
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7801 (English)
-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [AC00] (emulated)

posted 09-09-05 08:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 67  
My symptoms are basically the same as Sifka4's - sound glitches during cutscenes and gameplay, sometimes no sound at all, crashes to desktop. And the cutscene always either crashes to desktop after some time or it just stops and I have to press space to skip it.

My Specs:
- P4 1.8 Ghz
- 768 MB PC133-SDRAM
- GeForceFX 5900xt (128 MB)
- C-Media CMI8738 on-board sound

Reducing or turning off sound hardware acceleration in Windows didn't help at all.

posted 09-09-05 08:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 67  
I have the accursed Sound Blaster Live! Dell Edition, the one with the headphone jack at the front of the tower. It has EAX "emulation" in firmware and has had compatibility problems before. I'm long overdue to cough up $$$ for a 100% genuine SB me thinks.

I tossed Dell drivers in favor of newer ones by Creative, they do reduce glitches somewhat but AOE3 is the first time I've had sound problems in two years.

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital (Dell), DR release 1.1.100

Update:

Fell back to DirectX basic then standard acceleration. Didn't help.

Quoted from DXDIAG:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Creative SB Live! Series
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_00
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: P16X.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0204 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/19/2004 11:57:46, 1329920 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Creative Technology Ltd.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 96000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 64, 62
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 64, 62
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

[This message has been edited by Thorney (edited 09-09-2005 @ 10:34 PM).]

posted 09-09-05 10:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 67  
Thorney:

I believe that my soundcard is also a Dell edition SB Live card. I remember when i updated drivers, they had drivers for the normal version, and the dell version. Since i have a dell i picked the dell version.

For the rest of you...what make is your computer? Maybe if alot of us have Dells it could be some different internal issue? maybe?

posted 09-09-05 11:49 PM EDT (US)     11 / 67  
My 3D games slow down stop and start running again...

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
System Manufacturer: Compaq
System Model: PRESARIO 5400US
BIOS: 686P9 v1.11
Processor: Intel(r) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 380MB used, 621MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904

Device
Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce FX 5500
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768(32 bit)(60Hz)

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,23763,0,30

Forgive and forget, just don't forget to forgive.~Comador02

<<<---Location

[This message has been edited by God (edited 11-19-2120 @ 2:38 PM).]

posted 09-10-05 00:11 AM EDT (US)     12 / 67  
Update:

I just tried toying with the hardware acceleration once i lost my sound and it did not help at all :\. Once i quit to the menu i still had no sound. Keep checking back here guys, thanks.

posted 09-10-05 03:37 AM EDT (US)     13 / 67  
Play a skirmish for about 2 minutes then lose all Gaming sounds. Music still plays in the background but then I lose it about 20 minutes later normally.

I wish ES would give us some feedback on this.

posted 09-10-05 05:21 AM EDT (US)     14 / 67  
It's not just Sound Blaster Live!s. My Audigy 1 is also suffering the sound cutout/occasional desktop crash.
posted 09-10-05 05:46 AM EDT (US)     15 / 67  
FWIW, I am experiencing the same thing and I have a Dell wit SB Live!.
posted 09-10-05 06:30 AM EDT (US)     16 / 67  
This is what I tried: I dropped sound acceleration to Standard and then still had the sound cutout problem. I lowered again to Basic and I just played over 38 mins (Fast speed) with no apparent sound problems. Great to get that far and hear the sound of battle.

Conky

posted 09-10-05 08:10 AM EDT (US)     17 / 67  
Looks like sound blaster could be a prob. I Have a shit crap piece of crap sound card which was £5/$10 and AoE3 sounds run fine.
posted 09-10-05 08:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 67  
If it would be a Soundblaster problem I wouldn't have it.
posted 09-10-05 01:26 PM EDT (US)     19 / 67  
Im going to try lowering mine.. Hopefully it will work!
posted 09-10-05 02:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 67  
UPDATE: Before playing, i put hardware accel to basic and i played an entire game with sound!! However, i played for about 45 minutes and right when i went to attack the enemy's base, i got a CTD so i dont know what the deal with that was, but at least i had sound the whole game!
posted 09-10-05 02:14 PM EDT (US)     21 / 67  
i tired lowering the hardware too but it still does not work.
posted 09-10-05 02:52 PM EDT (US)     22 / 67  
I just played for 50 minutes with Full Sound after moving mine to Basic!
posted 09-10-05 02:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 67  
sounds good..enjoy Hopefully ES will address this and maybe tell us exactly what the problem is...ive never had to deal with hardware accel before..

and note that although i do maintain sound/music, i still get random clicks behind some sounds :\ mostly during cutscenes though

[This message has been edited by Sifka4 (edited 09-10-2005 @ 02:55 PM).]

posted 09-10-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)     24 / 67  
My symptoms:

I have yet to experience any crashes with the demo
Music and sound effects work fine
BUT:
In the campaign, every time a person speaks, they start out the sentence but never finish it. For example, onscreen it says "Major Cooper: We'd better get some men out to all the Trading Posts to help defend them", but the dialogue I hear is "We'd better get some men out to all the Trading Posts to help defe-"
This happens to EVERY SINGLE SPOKEN LINE OF DIALOGUE in the game, including those spoken by the old coot and Amelia Black. And it's just dialogue, all other sound effects like ginshots, animals, the things the units say when selected, etc. work fine...

And, is it just me, or are the graphics not as good as in the videos es has on the site and in the screenshots? I think it has something to do with pixel shaders, but I'm so ignorant of all these things... can someone tell me whether the ATI X700 PRO card has a pixel shader? Thanks.

I hope ES hears our complaints, cuz I was seriously hoping AoE3 to be WAY better than this...

posted 09-11-05 00:43 AM EDT (US)     25 / 67  
Getting er keeping sound now with basic acceleration.

I still get partial dropouts during extended games or heavy battles. That is, there's unit speech, ambient noise from buildings, upgrade completed sounds, so forth and I lose some of these "channels" from time to time.

Something I found helpful as a quick and dirty fix. Alt tab out of AOE3 and play a sound with another app that uses DirectSound. This appears to force a DirectSound reset when returning to AOE3 and I get full sound restored. Pain in the butt but it works.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Tech Help & Website Feedback » **Official Sound Cutout/Glitching Thread**
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames