You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Tech Help & Website Feedback
Moderated by Maffia

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Tech Help FAQ - Read this before posting!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-20-06 02:18 PM EDT (US)   

Tech Help FAQ

So many questions on this forum but so little answers! This has been recognised by the staff here at Aoe3H, and myself and NAT have been hard at work finding suitable answers to all your questions. Also we are very much open to more questions and any anwers you may be able to offer to make this an even more full FAQ

We'll be adding more to this in due course and as/when issues crop up. If you have anything you'd like to add, post the Q/A in the thread here. This is very much a working document.

Before Posting:

Before posting, please ask yourself the following questions; it helps anyone trying to help you determine the exact nature of the problem, and saves time. The more information you can give, the easier it is to help you.

1. Check whether your hardware and software requirements meet that of Age of Empires 3. You can find the minimum requirements and how to find your own specifications in Section 1 below. If you are making a new topic or post about a hardware or software issue, please post your exact hardware specification. The most important things to include are your processor model, the amount of RAM you have, your graphics card and your motherboard chipset (if you know it).
  2. Check whether the latest version of DirectX is installed on your computer.
  3. Check whether the drivers for your hardware (video card, sound card, network card etc.) are up-to-date.
  4. Check whether you have the latest patch (1.08 currently). The patches can be found here.

If you are playing a `warez' or CD-Cracked copy of the game, there will be no support for your problem until your installation of the game is not illegally altered. Normally a re-install of the game from the CD will fix this problem. We do not support them because warezed/CD-Cracks modify the game and introduces more problems that we do not support.

We will not send anyone any game files nor will we appreciate requests for them in the forums. Often, re-installing the game will restore any missing or corrupted game files. If the game CD was already damaged when it arrived, please contact the store where the game was bought and request a replacement. Our moderators have been instructed to close topics that request game files. In addition, our moderators will issue account bans in accordance with point #5 of the Code of Conduct.

It is not the responsibility of staff and forumers to help you with your particular problem. This forum is present for skilled forumers to assist others in time of technical needs.

ES also have a FAQ at Age Community, here.

Bug Reporting

Please see this thread here for instructions on how to report bugs to ES.

Section 1: System Requirements

Q: What are the minimum system requirements for Age of Empires III?
A: Microsoft® Windows® XP
PC with 1.4 Ghz equivalent or higher processor that supports SSE
256 MB of system RAM
2.0 GB available hard disk space
32x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
64 MB video card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (HT&L)
Sound card with speakers or headphones
Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play
DirectX 9.0c or above

Q:What are the recommended system requirements for the numbers of players in multiplayer games?
A: From ES:
8 Players - P4 3.2 GHz (or equivalent), 2 GB RAM, and Cable/DSL, LAN
6 Players - P4 2.8 GHz (or equivalent), 1 GB RAM, and Cable/DSL, LAN
4 Players - P4 2.2 GHz (or equivalent), 512 MB RAM, and Cable/DSL, LAN
2 Players - P4 1.4 GHz (or equivalent), 256 MB RAM minimum (512 MB RAM recommended), and 56 KBps modem

Q:How do I find out my hardware specs?
A: Go to Start > Run > type "dxdiag" in the dialogue box, minus the quotes. A window will display listing your hardware.

Q:Is Windows 2000 supported?
A: Windows 2000 is not a supported operating system for Age of Empires 3.

Video/Graphics Cards:

If you are looking to see whether your graphics card will run well with AoE3 or if you are looking to upgrade your graphics card these two threads here and here may help you. Note that these threads do not represent the opinion of HG.

Section 2: Patches

Q: How can I download the latest patch?
A: There are two ways:

1. Go to ESO from the game main menu, and the patch will be automatically downloaded and installed for you.
  2. The patches are also available in standalone versions, which can be downloaded from Age Community here. These have to be installed manually.

Q: How do I find out which version of the game I have?
A: Load up Age of Empires 3 and select "Help and Tools" from the main menu. From there go to "About", and your game version is listed at the top.

Q: I am having problems after installing the patch such as game crashing and being unable to connect to ESO.
A: There are many problems which can cause this. These are possible steps you can take to rectify the problem:

• The patch requires at least 1.4 Gb of free space on your hard drive to be able to install.
  • Having certain user mods installed can cause the game to crash after patching. Be sure to remove any modifications you have made to the game files before you patch. If you did not remove any mods before you patched and your game is crashing, you will need to reinstall the game before patching up to 1.08 again.
  • If you are unable to connect to ESO after patching and did not have the problem before, your firewall may have reset the rules for Age of Empires 3. Check that age3.exe is allowed access to the Internet.

Also, when making posts or emails about issues after patching, ES would like you to run their file check utility:

"We are asking that if you encounter a problem after patching please run our new file check utility and include the results in any emails or forum posts you make about your problem.

File Check Utility
This tool checks several key age3 files to verify they are the correct verison.
Instructions:
1) Patch to the latest game version
2) Save this file to your desktop
3) Launch the esage3filechecker.exe from your desktop
4) After the process is completed open the ESAge3Results.txt file (should also be placed on your desktop)
5) Open this file to view results which could include any combination of the following results: Invalid (corrupt file), Invalid Version, Not Found, & Version Correct.
6) A successful installation should return all listed as Version Correct."

Q: I have reinstalled my game. Do I need to install the previous patches in order to get up to version 1.06?
A: No. If you update the game from ESO (see above) then it will automatically patch up to 1.06. If you wish to patch using the standalone version download "Patch 1.0x - 1.06" from Age Community, here.

Section 3: AoE III Gameplay Problems

Before posting or even reading this section you should check in Section 1 that your computer has the required system requirements and that your video card is compatible with the game. This thread can offer some help with video cards.

You should also check with this page supplied by ES for performance tips. These tips may be able to reduce lag and allow the game to run much more freely, they address both your hardware and in game settings.

Q: How do I fix the "blocky" graphics I'm getting for for such things as steam, dust, and gun smoke?
A:
Click on Help and Options and select the graphics tab, then turn down the shader quality to low.

Q. My sound cuts out or is choppy.
A.
Turning off hardware acceleration may help. You can do that by following these steps.

1. Click on Start and Run
2. Type in DXDiag and hit Enter
3. Select the Sound tab and turn the hardware acceleration slider all the way to the left

Also check your hard drive for heavy fragmentation. Make sure that it is not fragmented by running defrag found in your system tools. This may take awhile but it will help sound and system performance.

If the game crashes after having choppy sound the first thing you should do is to make sure the game is up to date with the latest patch. However if this doesn't work you can follow two alternative ways:

1. Open Program Files and Microsoft Games folder and navigate the Age of Empires III folder to Sound and Music and then standard. Right Click on the LeisurelyBrows.mp3 and go to properties. Toward the bottom of the menu uncheck the Read Only option and click on Apply and OK.

2. Open your My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup folder and Create a user.cfg file. Then add the line +nosound or +nomusic save and exit, although this will result in a game with no sound.

Section 4: ESO - Connection Issues

Q: I get "CRC Mismatch" whenever I create a game. what does this mean?
A: CRC Mismatches occur when you have different versions of the game files to the default ones for ESO. The most common reasons for this are:

• You have modified any of the important game files for online play, such as proto.xml and game.cfg. In this case, you will need to remove your modifications or replace them with the original files. If you cannot do this or it doesn't work, you will need to do a clean reinstall.
  • You are running a a no-CD crack or a pirated version of the game, in which case we will not help you, and will take action in accordance with our Code of Conduct if you admit to doing this. Pirated and cracked games are illegal.
  • If you experience this problem after patching, the patch probably hasn't installed correctly. You will need to reinstall the game.

Q: I get the error message "Cannot connect to ESO" whenever I try to go online.
A: The main cause for this is a software firewall blocking Age of Empires 3 from connecting to the Internet. To rectify this you will need to go to your firewall software and enable age3.exe to connect to the Internet.

Also, you may not be able to connect to ESO if the servers are down for maintenance work. Check the front page of Age Community, where news on server maintenance is posted.

Q: I get error messages such as "Failed to join game" and "Invalid IP Address" whenever I try to join a game. What does this mean?
A: Messages similar to these occur when you would cause a game to go OOS (out of sync) if you joined it. If you are getting these messages it most likely means that you have a problem with your router or firewall. There are several steps you can take:

• Log off ESO and log back on again. If this does not work:
  • Power cycle your computer and network hardware. Turn off your modem, router and computer, then restart them a few minutes later in that order.
  • Check that your firewall is allowing age3.exe to connect to the Internet. You can test whether this is the source of the problem by turning your firewall off completely while attempting to connect to a game. Be warned, this will leave your computer vulnerable to attack.
  • If your router has a 'Gaming Mode', have this turned on.

Section 5: ESO - General Multiplayer Information

Q: How can I save multiplayer games?
A:
ES did not include this feature in the game, multiplayer games cannot be saved.

Q: I lost my ESO username, what can I do?
A:
If you forgot your ESO Username, then there is no way for the game itself to remember it, instead try:
1) Browse to My Documents\my Games\Age of empires3\data
2) Look for a file named uipersonastats-[username].xml
3) If the file exists try logging in using the listed [username]

If that does not work then:
1) E-mail age3.help@ensemblestudios.com put “username lookup request” in the subject line
2) Then answer the auto response e-mail with the appropriate information
3) Be sure to include the e-mail you registered with and your PID.

Q: I lost my ESO password, what can I do?
A:
Try first to use the “forgot password” button on the login screen. If you are unable to properly reset your password then:
1) E-mail age3.help@ensemblestudios.com put “password help” in the subject line
2) Answer the auto response e-mail with the appropriate information
3) Be sure to include the e-mail you registered with and your PID.

Q: Where can I find my Product ID?
A:
Your Product ID or "PID" can be found by clicking on "Help and Tools" from the main menu of Age3, then click "About". It is a series of numbers 11111-111-1111111-11111.

Q: I have been playing games, but I’m not getting any XP or wins?
A:
First make sure your the game you play meet the requirements for XP / rated; the requirements are listed in the readme.rtf file. Also You need to have at least 2 human players in a game to receive any XP on ESO and in order to receive wins/losses you need to have only human players arranged in even teams.

[This message has been edited by Luke M (edited 09-08-2006 @ 06:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-19-06 00:07 AM EDT (US)     1 / 51  
no thanks

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 05-29-2006 @ 08:36 PM).]

posted 05-29-06 04:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51  
"I get "CRC Mismatch" whenever I create a game. what does this mean?"
You might want to add to that a bit. The "CRC Mismatch" also happens if you try to play a game and your copy does not have all of the patches.
posted 06-06-06 10:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 51  
What does "eso doesn't support your version of the game"

Who is more foolish the fool or the fool who follows
-Obi Won Kenobi

My favorite quote from a movie.

I am the 1 person whos cuetech is higher in 1v1 than overall :O

posted 06-08-06 03:21 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51  
Whenever i try to go onto ESO on AOE3 it starts to automatically download version 1.07 for the game
Then when its done i need to reinstall it but then when its finally installed when i go onto ESO it starts to download 1.07 again and i have to go through the process again. whats the matter with it?
posted 06-08-06 05:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51  
What do you mean by 'I need to reinstall it'? After the patch has been downloaded the game should restart, that's it.
posted 06-10-06 01:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51  
when the game restarts it says please insert CD1 of AOE3 and i cant play unless i reinstall it with CD1
posted 09-04-06 09:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 51  
I get failed to create account when trying to make an account with a new key ?

My internet is fine, ports are unlocked and I can play over lan fine. Anyideas ?

posted 09-04-06 10:43 AM EDT (US)     8 / 51  
For the CRC mistmatch i get the mismatch while ESO is loading...i dont even get close to being able to make or create a game .

I have reinstalled twice now aswell...but no joy.

If u played Stronghold u might enjoy this http://www.zshare.net/download/sh-mix-mix-rar.html
posted 09-06-06 03:01 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51  
Five to ten minutes into a single-player skirmish, my PC freezes and the audio loops stactic and gameplay fx. I have to turn off my PC and reboot... I can't use Ctrl+Alt+Del, move my mouse cursor, nothing. It only started to do this since I installed a new motherboard and grapics card and BEFORE the greatest mod ever created (thank you John Pember).

Hardware Specs:

P4 3.4GHz, P5PE-VM mobo with Intel 865G chipset, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb ddr2 AGP, 2GB RAM, 300GB hard disk space...

Software Specs:

Windows XP, latest patch, latest direct x, all drivers installed....

I love this game! Please help me out!

posted 12-23-06 03:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 51  
When I try to install the game, I get an error saying that "Disk1~1.cab" is corrupt.Wgat should I do???

[This message has been edited by Williams (edited 12-24-2006 @ 07:09 AM).]

posted 02-22-07 04:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 51  
could i suggest you add the problem "ESO does not support your game version" to the bank? several people seem to have this problem, which can be solved with ease, tho isnt known to everyone.

Q. When I try and connect to ESO the I receive the error message “ESO does not support your game version”, what should I do?

First, run the file check utility (see “common issues” section above for more information) to see if core files are valid.
If any of the files are not valid, then the safest thing to do in is completely uninstall and reinstall the game and patch directly up to the latest game version.

If the files are valid then if you feel comfortable using regedit you can manually check which game version is listed in the registry.
Edit your registry at your own risk. Make a backup before editing.
1. Run regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Mic rosoft Games\Age of Empires 3\1.0
3. Look at the version entry. If you have patch up to the latest version, then you should see that patch’s version number; currently 1.10

4. If the version number says something other than the latest version then, you can modify the entry so it does.
5. Exit regedit and attempt to connect.

User ThackerSS provides an alternative:You still will need to create your own user account with admin rights, the good news is that you don't ever really have to log onto this one instead to this:
1. log in under your normal user
2. Right-click on your AOEIII Icon on your desktop and select properties
3. Under the Shortcut tab you see at the top, go to the bottom of that screen and select ADVANCED. This will bring up the advanced settings window.
4. Select the box that says "RUN WITH DIFFERENT CREDENTIALS and put a check in it and click OK.
5. Upon doing this, you will be prompted with another screen that allows you to type in your user name and password from the new user account you made.

Once all the settings are in place you can open up your game, and start the game under your different user account without ever being burdened with switching users. This has made it much faster for me to get into the game.

______________________________________-

hopefully that will help the people who browse through the tech forum

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 05-08-07 01:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51  
Whenever i try to go onto ESO on AOE3 it starts to automatically download version 1.07 for the game
Then when its done i need to reinstall it but then when its finally installed when i go onto ESO it starts to download 1.07 again and i have to go through the process again. whats the matter with it?

I had this problem once too.check you'r game version if it's like my problem , it'll probably say 1.06 so i tried installing the patch manually , but it did'nt work.so i just left it alone and just started playing custom scenarios - it passed my time alot.and after a month or so my friend cam to my home.he said he wanted to play or at least see multiplayer games , so i told him it's not working but he would'nt listen , so i just put it and showed him and a miracle - it came!

PS i don't know how this happened
posted 05-15-07 11:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51  
This is a great forum to read through...All you with questions should read this first... I just answered like 7 tech questions and then I looked at this last and thought...well if those noobs would have looked here first...I would have never wasted half an hour on those choobs. AH well...You live and learn....LIVE AND LEARN.

Great post...should read through ALL of it. Thanks for those who contributed...I will contribute some of what I know when I have more time... Right now I am getting bugged to go to bed.... LATERZ.

Feel free to message me on ESO:
Gear_Head

LATERZ

posted 05-16-07 03:47 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51  
haha soo true gearhead

[Judgε][Epic Thread]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 07-02-07 07:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51  
I have 2 questions.

1. My internet is not on the computer that has AotE3. do I need to do anything special to copy it onto a CD and puting it on the other computer
2. Where do I put downloaded things for AotE39All of then if you can please)

Proud play of Age of the Empires 3 and Age of the Empires warcheif
posted 07-05-07 08:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51  
When I try to log onto ESO, I get the message: "eso doesn't support your version of the game". Any help?

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 08-18-07 08:13 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51  
I have downloaded the standalone patch version from age community but when I try to install it the patch stops and says "There is a problem with your game version. You may need to reinstall the game to fix it" !! Isn't this patch supposed to fix the game version ??!!
posted 09-01-07 09:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 51  
@ General Multiplayer Information

I've sent about 3 emails so far to try and recover my ESO password... not getting a response. I figured since it was an auto-reply address, I would get something back relatively fast.

EDIT: tried going through microsoft's tech help, and sent another email. how long have you had to wait for a response?

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music listen to crazy screamo, copy and paste this into your sig

[This message has been edited by Rawr_98 (edited 09-02-2007 @ 09:38 PM).]

posted 11-01-07 04:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 51  
Hi, I installed aoe3 warchiefs expansion on my pc and now that i try to launch the game I get the same message over and over again: "Initialization failed Game::initializeBasic() failed."
I saw in your FAQ that I should install Microsoft XML parser, which I did. It still doesn't work now. I don't know why I downloaded the XML thing since I'm a bloody noob and don't understand why I did that... If anyone could help it would be quite cool...
posted 11-07-07 03:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 51  
Basically what Microsoft XML does is allow your computer to read the code for the game. Its openable in the internet explorer (proto.xml and files like that).

i had a problem like that, what i did was just wipe the drive, and now it works perfectly fine. if you have a new computer like i did its not that bad yknow?

send it back to whomever you got it from asking for them to reformat it basically.

[Judgε][Epic Thread]
posted 01-17-08 07:12 AM EDT (US)     21 / 51  
Plz help!!!!
I turned the resolution up to full as an experiment and all i get now is an error message saying "Not supported by system" the game runs in the background but i can not see it. i have tried completely uninstalling it but that doen't work.
What can i do??????
posted 04-07-08 02:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51  
hey, whenever i try to create an ESO account, after ive typed in my password, e-mail address etc. it comes up with: "Account creation failed. [101] This CDKey cannot be used to create anymore accounts." what shall i do???
posted 04-07-08 02:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51  
It depends. Have you already tried to use that disk to create another account? Or perhaps did you buy the disc from a friend who did?

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 04-10-08 09:00 AM EDT (US)     24 / 51  
no i got it from the shop game, its weird, because my age of empires wasn't working for ages and last week, it just started working again for no reason? and lots of things go wrong on my game now, like, it takes about 15 attempts to turn aoe3 on, online doesnt work, and some things on skirmish dont work like mercenaries...
posted 04-10-08 06:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51  
Have you tried reinstalling?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Tech Help & Website Feedback » Tech Help FAQ - Read this before posting!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames