You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 65  Next Page »
posted 10-25-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)   

The Scenario Design Library

THE AOE3H SCENARIO DESIGN WIKI
Design Dictionary | Editor Functions | Mapwork | Triggers | Design Teams
Frequently Asked Questions for AOE3 Scenario Editor | How to Set the AI to Work in a Scenario

What is this thread for?

If you ever have a question or a problem related to scenario designing, this is the place to come! This thread contains all the links, questions and answers, articles and guides you'll ever need to design scenarios for Age of Empires III. Be it a question on mapping, scripting, triggers, units, AI, and anything related to the scenario designing world, ask it here!

How to use this thread

Following this procedure is the best way to get your question answered as quickly and effectively as possible:
  1. Go to the scenario design Wiki and search for your problem by browsing through the article lists or by using the search box, e.g. when searching for information on the modify protounit trigger, selecting the "Go" button will try to find a page entitled "protounit", and selecting "Search" will bring up a list of articles that have relevance to "protounit".

2. Your next port of call should be the library articles listed below. These are guides written by our expert forummers to explain aspects of the technique of scenario design.
  3. If the Wiki and the articles do not have the answer, then try searching through this forum. For example, if you are having trouble with the "Modify Protounit" trigger, and the Wiki hasn't helped, then by searching for "protounit" in the "Subject:" box, a list of all thread titles containing "protounit" will be listed. You'll most likely find that the answer to your question is in one of those.

4. If you still can't find the answer to your question, then post your question in here, or if the question is quite large, create your own thread for it.

Some tips when asking questions:
  • Be patient. It might take some time for a designer with the necessary skills and experience to notice your question and answer it.
  • Try to be as detailed as you can when your explain your question or problem. List any steps you have already tried, or make it clear and specific with what you are trying to achieve. This helps people to answer your question and saves a lot of time. Also, vague questions are more likely to be ignored.
  • No-one is forced to answer your question; the forummers who take the time to answer questions do so voluntarily and are under no obligation to answer your question.
  • As in all areas of forumming, try to make sure you use correct spelling and grammar when asking or answering questions. By doing so you make your text more readable and less open to ambiguity. Of course, if English isn't your first language then that is an exception, but always take the time and effort to make your post legible.

Some tips when answering questions:
  • Try to be as specific as possible. Often people who ask questions don't know what a lot of features are. If in order to solve one of their problems, they need to download something, then tell them. Not everybody has downloaded extended editors.
  • Often linking to relevant pages in the wiki will help stress your ideas even more. When talking about a certain condition or effect, link to the corresponding trigger page at the wiki. This can easily be done without even going to the wiki. Simply put "wiki.heavengames.com/age/" then the trigger name (with "_" instead of spaces). Example, for fire event: wiki.heavengames.com/age/fire_event.
  • Don't criticize people, and call them n00bs just because they asked simple questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? When you make fun of people for asking a silly question, they might be scared not to ask them anymore, and we wouldn't want that. The point of this thread is for every question to get answered, for the community's sake. Who knows, maybe someday they will realise a fantastic scenario.

Wiki Information and Article Database

The AoE3H Scenario Design Wiki

We are please to announce the first HG-run community wiki. To build a comprehensive encyclopedia of Scenario Design has been an unrealized dream for past games. Starting today, we are going to attempt it for AoE3. With your help, we intend build a complete reference for the art of Scenario Design. Here is the link:

http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/

Here are just a few of the features:
  • YOU can add new articles, or edit current ones!
  • A Question Center, where new designers can learn from experienced ones
  • A Frequently Asked Questions section with a page for each common question.
  • Complete guides to all the basics of scenario design
  • A page on every condition and on every effect
  • The “Design Dictionary”, containing common design-related words
  • Much, much more.

What is a wiki? What’s so great about it?
A wiki is a lot like this forum. People can post on it, format their posts with colors and links, and they can start discussions with each other. A wiki, however, has one critical advantage: Anyone can edit a page on a wiki. Think of the Scenario Design Library for AoK. Only one or two people can edit it to keep its contents up to date! Talk about a lost cause. Then think of a thread giving helpful information to designers. The thread’s poster can edit it, and other people can contribute to it in an unorganized fashion. Now think of a wiki. Anyone in the world can edit it. They don’t even need to have an account, and they can keep information together in a clear and organized fashion, that is easily searched, and easily referenced to other pages.

Skeptical? Many people are. Don’t take my word for it though: there’s a great example of a wiki in action at www.wikipedia.org. Wikipedia is the world’s largest encyclopedia, and it is growing at a phenomenal rate every day.

What sort of information will be on the wiki?
The wiki will be dedicated to information about Age of Empires 3 Scenario Design. This ranges from a section for asking questions, to a section defining design-related words, to a section explaining each condition and effect in the Age of Empires 3 Editor. In short, the wiki will have everything you ever wanted to know about AoE3 design in one place. Have you ever been designing for another game, and couldn’t remember some minor fact? That will never happen to you again once the wiki project is up and running.

Won’t the wiki overlap with the forums?
We’re going to do everything possible to prevent this. Things related to the scenario design community can still be discussed on the forums, as can things relating to AoE3 design. Think of the forums as the place where you work out the “rough drafts” of what will later become articles.

How can I help?
Let’s face it: the wiki project isn’t going to succeed without a concentrated effort from the community. Don’t just assume that the next guy will help out, because he’s saying that about you! In the end, we feel that the reward will be worth it: a better scenario design experience for everyone.

Have you ever wanted to work for HG? This is your big chance!

Right now, HG is looking for committed individuals, who are willing to dedicate their time to making the community better for everyone. These “Administrators”, while not HG staff, will be in charge of one or more of the sections on the wiki (view sections here). So if you think you’ve got what it takes, apply now! Either post a reply in this thread or email spitfire.23@gmail.com with your application. You should include with your application:
  • your email
  • IM contact info (if possible)
  • Whether or not you’ve edited a wiki before

Additionally, include a brief description of why you feel you’re suited to work on the wiki, possibly providing examples of things you’ve done in the past to help the design community. If your application is approved by myself and the AoE3H seraphs (NAT and Elpea), we'll let you know. If you have an account on the wiki, we'll give you sysop status. Read about that here.

I have a suggestion for the wiki
By all means, post your suggestions in this thread. This is a brand new approach for everyone, so we're willing to adapt. We're especially interested in how easy you found it to learn how to edit - making this as easy as possible is our goal. Editing a wiki is at about the same level of difficulty as formatting a post you make on the forums, but the conventions may be difficult to adapt to. When the wiki really gets up and running, we'll be relying on people being able to learn the software easily.

Conclusion
Today, the first step into a larger world has been taken. A long journey lies ahead of us, and nobody can see where the road leads. Ultimately, the success or failure of this project depends on you - the scenario designer.

TS University

A fantastic resource for AoE3 related design articles.

The TS University (TSU) is a unique online university dedicated to scenario design, and a comprehensive library of articles, tutorials, and resources for scenario designers.

Our interactive e-zine and forum will further serve the scenario design community through focused discussions, featured articles, and the latest news and information.

The goal of TSU is to assemble the greatest body of scenario design knowledge and discovery information into our library's vast article database.

The database to provide both new and experienced designers with quality articles and tutorials on all scenario design subjects, and also provide an excellent platform for authors and scholars to share their design knowledge with greater focus and scope.

We invite the most knowledgeable in scenario design, regardless of their team affiliations, or independent goals to join us as authors, editors, interns, and scholars for our articles. We encourage everybody who wants to share their knowledge to send articles to us. We promise to present articles in a professional manner that will highlight the creative source, so the greater community can benefit from your accomplishments in scenario design.

(Quoted from TSU website)

Forum Article Database

Thanks to Papaya, Spitfire and FD2 for information from their previous versions.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 12-31-2007 @ 01:35 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-25-05 11:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1606  
Anyone know how to make a bridge over a river?

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 10-25-05 11:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 1606  
Anyone can help me with this damned AI?
I build my scenario, and test it, but the enemy AI does nothing at all. Just stands there.

Edit: I even tried no triggers. They just do nothing.

Also, How do I make the fort walls work? The acutal walls go together but the corners(rounded) do not, theres always a gap between it, it goes red when I try to place it close tot e wall and it wont let me click.

[This message has been edited by Kovo (edited 10-25-2005 @ 11:58 PM).]

posted 10-26-05 00:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 1606  
Just click the move units icon on the bar on the top of the screen. It looks like a liitle guy. Then move the wall to the connector.

posted 10-26-05 09:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 1606  
hey thx, it worked

But my AI still dsnt work, they are only idel all the time. The only tiem they move is if they see my units in the area but once im gone, poof, their back to idle... This is so frustrating. I need them to work on the plantations and mills i have placed.

posted 10-26-05 10:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 1606  

Quote:

\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 10-26-05 04:09 PM EDT (US)     6 / 1606  
I just created my first scenario (it is not that great since I spent half an hour on it), but I have it finished and can't seem to host it over ESO or LAN. I click on the custom map button and it says "no maps have been loaded, disableing custom map." I have no idea on what I am doing, and was wondering if anyone else tried to host a custom scenario game. Thanks to whoever can help me on this.
posted 10-26-05 04:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 1606  

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone can help me with this damned AI?
I build my scenario, and test it, but the enemy AI does nothing at all. Just stands there.

I'd like to know the answers to these as well.

Also, where can I find a list of all of the triggers and their descriptions?

Annnd, how do you set mercenaries on the map? (Couldn't find them in the Objects list)

And lastly, is it possible to customize buildings so that you can have them produce whatever unit you want? (I'm NOT asking about Forbid and Disable/Unforbid and Enable triggers and the Forbid and Disable Units and Techs list! I'm talking about having it so that you can product units from such buildings as, say, the Fort Wall Barracks or the Fort Wall Stable.)

Thanks.

posted 10-26-05 04:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 1606  

Quote:

You can't, it's like aom, you have to use land to go across the river, you can disguise the land as a bridge with items though.

Quote:

Annnd, how do you set mercenaries on the map?

Mercenaries are just normal units in the editor, they just come with cards in huge amounts with other units.

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
I still do some levels for fun, though!

[This message has been edited by CaveTown (edited 10-26-2005 @ 04:55 PM).]

posted 10-26-05 05:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 1606  

Quote:

You can't, it's like aom, you have to use land to go across the river, you can disguise the land as a bridge with items though.

*sigh*, yet another reason the AoK editor is superior.

\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 10-26-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 1606  
LOL, the editor is nothing to do with the objects you can place (no, not like that - the editor has no relation to the objects the game has, and so you can place. So you cant blame the editor for not having bridges - you have to blame the game.)... I wouldn't say that's a reason to discount the editor :|

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.
posted 10-26-05 06:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 1606  

Quote:

*sigh*, yet another reason the AoK editor is superior.

I personaly hate AoK's editor. It is so primitive and has barely any conditions and effects.

posted 10-26-05 08:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 1606  

Quote:

I personaly hate AoK's editor. It is so primitive and has barely any conditions and effects.

I agree, but I don't hate it, I just find that with less effects, it isn't as good.

posted 10-26-05 08:35 PM EDT (US)     13 / 1606  
atleast ai wasnt a problem
posted 10-26-05 09:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 1606  
Don't butcher the thread. Answer a question and move on please.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything. It's just that I'm going to be staying tuned to this thread for answered questions and I don't want to have to scan through replies that just carry on and on about one simple answer.

posted 10-26-05 09:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 1606  
That's becuase AOK had no scenarios with custom AI designed for a certian scenario in a campaign, it just used the same AI that was used in Skirmishes.
Edit: Rephrasing the above (since it was proven wrong) the previous ediors before AoM automatically gave the computer players a fixed AI, as well as placing down a town center and 3 villagers for computer players without a town center. This was ment for inexpereienced designers, but since the editor was not considered a 'tool' and was considered more of a bonus in AoE I and II, setting a custom AI was harder to do.
*rushes off to reinstall AoK to see if the above is true*

Also, the AOK editor has very limited control over overplapping buiildings, which is one of the reasons the AoM and now the AoE3 editor are so much better.

To answer the AI question, go to Scenario - Player Data, and in the same row as the player you want to have an AI, click the AI button, and select an AI from the list.

Cavuy | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003

[This message has been edited by jonathan1222 (edited 10-27-2005 @ 04:11 PM).]

posted 10-26-05 10:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 1606  
Nice try, we have probably done that 3 million times.

But i figured it out. Read my thread

posted 10-27-05 03:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 1606  

Quote:

That's becuase AOK had no scenarios with custom AI designed for a certian scenario in a campaign, it just used the same AI that was used in Skirmishes.

False.

\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 10-27-05 03:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 1606  
This thread worked great at AoMH, should work great here
posted 10-28-05 12:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 1606  
when i load ai i see a lot of options i can choose from? Can anybody tell whats the difference between all those AI's?
posted 10-28-05 12:35 PM EDT (US)     20 / 1606  
What type of whether effects does the game have? I saw a screenshot on AoE3.com that mentions a huricane. So i was wondering what whether effects are in the game.
posted 10-28-05 01:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 1606  
Well there's rain.

Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
Not one now, to mock your own grinning?
posted 10-28-05 02:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 1606  
and snow. but they lag the game a lil bit.
posted 10-28-05 04:03 PM EDT (US)     23 / 1606  
Looks like the Modders have some great projects ahead. Structures that don't need ground beneath so we can build bridges (there's one in the object file but it's seriously ugly).

Altering the water tool so it will work below size 8

Creating a 'super' fort that doesn't disintegrate from the arrows of one bowman.

Currently known as Couchpotato
posted 10-28-05 06:43 PM EDT (US)     24 / 1606  
hey i just had 2 cannons on a rock attacked some musketeers. And now i just want them to stay deployed and dont under any circumstances let them leave their positions but they have to shoot everything within their range. How can i do that? now they aim if a unit comes into their range and if it walks out of their range they undeploy and move till hes in their range :S. its really annoying
posted 10-28-05 06:47 PM EDT (US)     25 / 1606  
Hey, I have a question, if anybody has played the AoE3 campaign and has sawn the movie "Lizzie the Pirate" how do you get the units on a boat like that?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 65  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Design Library - FAQ Database, Ask Questions Here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames