Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Fast & Easy way to PLAYTEST, RESTART, and QUIT scenario
posted 10-28-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)   
If you have playtested your scenarios in AoE3 more than a few times, you would probably have noticed by now that going from the editor into Playtest mode is neither very fast nor easy. You have to click on the menu called "Scenario", and then select the submenu "Playtest Scenario", and then click the "Playtest" button, and then click "Ok".

Basically, going into Playtest mode is a tedious and inconvenient process.

When you're in playtest mode, I believe there is no option to immediately restart the playtest game, which makes playtesting dreadfully tedious and extremely tiring. Fortunately, there is a fast & easy way to Playtest, Restart, and Quit scenario, and that is by using hotkeys (or shortcut keys).

How To Use These Hotkeys:

Step 1: Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\startup
Step 2: Find the file named editor.con
Step 3: If you've never done any editing before, and this is scaring you... try to stay calm ! It's not very hard... trust me .

Step 4: Right-click on it, and select properties
Step 5: Uncheck the "Read-Only" box, then click OK (see below)

Step 6: Now, open your editor.con file (open it with any text program, such as text document)
Step 7: Take a deep breath . We're almost done.
Step 8: Copy and Paste in the following hotkey commands:

map ("control-t", "editor", "uiStartScenarioTest")
map ("control-r", "game", "restartCurrentGame")
map ("control-q", "game", "leaveGame")

Final Step: Click save, and voila! We're finshed .

In the editor, when you want Playtest your scenario, simultaneously press Control and t.
To restart, simultaneously press Control and r.
To quit, simultaneously press Control and q.

If there is anything unclear or you have any question about this, please let me know.

Replies:
posted 10-28-05 05:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
cool. They dont overwrite other hotkeys do they?

Latino Heat III

posted 10-28-05 06:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
These editor hotkeys (control-t, -r, -q) are unique, so they shouldn't have any interference . If, somehow, there are similar keys being used, you can always go back and edit these keys.

I have a feeling that using hotkeys doesn't appear very appealing to most people here, as it seems like to be too much trouble . However, I'm sure that people who use the editor a lot will be benefited by these hotkeys greatly, as they save so much time.

posted 10-28-05 06:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Nice one Alex I didn't even know the aom/aoe3 editor didn't defaultly have a Quick-playtest button (I got too used to Reyk's mod for aom I guess).

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 10-28-05 07:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
posted 10-29-05 01:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
FD2,

Hey, thanks for putting this on the wiki! Please add your name to the credits as the article editor, unless you don't want to .

By the way, FD2, I think that the title "Custom Hotkey Guide" is broad, as it suggests a general guide for making hotkeys. My article, on the other hand, is more specific about the three hotkeys, so I think it's better to name it as a sub section of the "Custom Hotkey Guide" (i.e. "Custom Hotkey Guide: Playtest, Restart, and Quit scenario key").

Thanks again for adding this to the wiki .

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 10-29-2005 @ 02:16 AM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A Fast & Easy way to PLAYTEST, RESTART, and QUIT scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames