Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide for Improving Your Mapping-Skills
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-28-06 04:27 PM EDT (US)   
A GUIDE FOR IMPROVING YOUR MAPPING-SKILLS
by Reinfire of the ArchDesigner Syndicate

I havent seen much eye-candy Guides here for AoE3, so I figured there would be no harm to make one. This tiny Guide is aimed towards eye-candy and mapping as a whole, no step for step explanations how to make one specific nice scenery

General tips:

- Keep in mind that everything in this Guide is based om my personal opinions and experiences. There are no written laws for scenario design, and many designers will use other methods than described in this Guide. The Guide is aimed towards the more inexperienced designer to get some ideas about methods you can use, but it hopefully contains some usefull thingy’s for expert designers

- Allways keep in mind that scenario designing is no exact science. If you make a piece of eye-candy, don’t spend too much time in measuring distances between objects etcetera. It doesnt matter really much if you make a row of objects, and there are slight (READ: slight) variety’s in the distance between them. People who play your scenario won’t speak ill of your eye-candy just because one object is one or two pixels off the place where it should be.

- Get to know all the objects in the objects list. If you know what objects are available in which category (nature, embellishment, units etc), it can save you much time in looking for that one specific object you want to place. Browsing the entire objects list often gives you ideas for your scenario.

- Never stop experimenting. Even when you have been designing in a game for 10 years, you still havent used or seen 1% of all the possibility’s of the editor. Experimenting is the only way to get that one piece of scenery which will make your scenario stand out from other ones. Copying ideas from other people’s scenarios won’t make your maps great. Try to be unique.

- When you save your map, and load it afterwards, it may occur that some objects have disappeard. This is caused because they were to close to other objects. This can (READ: can) happen with "Underbrush Great Plains" (under Embellishment) and "Ruined Wall"(under embellishment)

Basic tips for terrain-painting:

I don’t like the mix terrain tool, so I make all the terrain mixes by hand.

- First make one base terrain. Which base is best, you have to decide for yourself. A few examples of base terrains are Patagonia - ground_clifftop_pat (for city’s), default (for plains, forests and grassy area’s), Texas - ground5_tex (for deserts and arid area’s), Rockies - clifftop_roc (for winter scenario’s) and Bayou - ground1_bay for marshes and rainforests)

- I think it is not difficult to see that large patches of one single terrain look pretty dull. So make your base terrain look nicer, add some spots of other terrain to it. Be sure that the terrain types fit eachother, 4 or 5 diferrent terrains is enough. Note that terrains are categorized, so for example, you can use 4 terrains from New-England terrains, which are accustomed to eachother.

- To add bits of terrain fast and random on the base terrain, I use a method I call “spiralling”. To do this, set the brush size of the “free paint” tool on small (1x1), and make fast, circulair movements across the base terrain. This method is fast and effective.

Tips for natural enviroments:

- Tree’s are welcome in every type of natural enviroment. Of course the tree type and density depends on the enviroment you are creating (deserts have a lower tree-density than a tropical rainforest). You can experiment with adding different tree-types to one area (New-England trees and Great-Plains trees is not a bad combo), but this is not neccesery to create a nice enviroment, since within one tree-type, the variation is pretty satisfactionary.

- Trees alone won’t do, you will also need some plants, grass and rocks to cover your ground. You will find much of these objects under embellisment (you may suspect all of these things to be under nature). Here is a list of some objects you can (READ: can) use for different enviroments:

Grassy area’s, forests, plains:

Embellishment – Underbrush Great Plains

Deserts, arid area’s:

Embellishment – Underbrush Pampas

Embellishment – PROP Underbrush Desert

Tropical rainforests, marshlands:

Embellishment – Underbrush Amazon

Embellishment – PROP Underbrush Jungle

Embellishment – Underbrush Carolinas (3rd)

Embellishment – Openbrush Amazon

Snowy area’s:

Embellishment – Underbrush Rockies Snow

Embellishment – PROP Underbrush Snow

Objects for multiple area usage:

Embellishment – Underbrush Carolinas (2nd)

Embellishment – Underbrush Patagonia

Embellishment – PROP Cliff Foliage New England

Embellishment – PROP Underbrush Forest

Nature – PROP Shoreline Rocks (1st)

Embellishment – PROP River Northwest

Beside these basic objects, you can also add special nature objects here and there, but don’t overdo it. A few examples of such objects:

Embellishment – PROP Big Prop New England

Embellishment – PROP Big Prop Texas

Embellishment – PROP Eagle’s Nest

Nature – PROP Eagle’s Rock

Try to spread all of these objects as much as possible.

- The cliff tool of AoE3 is very crude IMO. This tool can make some nice effects though. For example to make high cliffs at the ocean. I don’t use this tool much, but when you do use the cliff tool, try to make it match the surrounding terrain

A substitute for the cliff is to make rocks like the ones in the AoM cliff-tool (if you played AoM, you will know what tool I am talking about). You can create this with the “raise/lower terrain” tool and the “Free Paint” tool:

Alternative cliff

Don’t forget to add “SPC Path block” (under embellishment) around the edges to make it solid.

- To give your area that little extra touch, you can add elevations to it. A way to do this fast but effective is this:
·Use the “Raise/lower terrain” tool, leave everything on its default settings
·Make random single clicks on the area you want to add the elevation on, both left and right clicks (raise and lower) at the same time.
·Finish it off with a little bit of the “smooth area” tool
This will make your are look much better

- For seas and large lakes/rivers, you can best use the “paint-water”tool, and for small rivers you can best use the river-tool. But when you use the paint-water tool, dont forget to smooth it out. When using this tool, you often see lines of sand(or something similair) below the surface when you are finished. Get rid of that with the “sample elevation” tool. (right-click on a place of deep water, and left click to remove these sandy lines). You may want to keep the underwater-sand near the shore though(to make it look more realistic).

- Pure water area’s look bare. In small ponts and tiny rivers you can fill it up with the following:

Embellishment – PROP River Plants

Embellishment – PROP Marsh Plants

Embellishment – PROP Underbrush co....

Embellishment/Nature – PROP Duck/Duck Family/Swan

In sea’s and large rivers, you can also make the water look better by adding shoreline rocks:

Nature – PROP Shoreline Rocks (1st)

Nature – PROP Shoreline Rocks (2nd)

Embellishment – PROP Shallow Rocks

Tips for villages and cities:

- It is handy to know how buildings look in different ages with different civs. To make this easy for you, I added pictures of buildings in different ages and different civs on the bottom of this Guide. (appendix A)

- City’s have to be really FULL. The fuller your city, the better (this rule has limits off course). Besides the buildings, you can fill your city with parks and embellishments. For streets, using the objects “SPC City Streets”(under embellishment) has the best effect.

- Don’t hesitate to add nature to your city/village. Looking at a city completely made out of bricks and stone makes it look cold. Trees can be placed just about everywhere in your city, without ruining the scenery. The long grass from “Underbrush Great Plains”(under embellishment) is also great for filling those gaps in your city too small to make a real structure.

- These embellishments make your city/village look more full and alive:

Embellishment – PROP Colony

Embellishment – SPC Train Parts

Embellishment – SPC Railway Props

Embellishment – SPC Mine Props

All – Crate .............

Note that not every embellishment fits every area in your city/village.

- Take in mind that when you uses recourse crates as eye-candy, that you dont want to have settlers too near it. The same thing counts for treasures and heroes/explorers.

- Walls and fences are important in your city. They orden the overal structure. It is amazing how some walls around gardens, buildings and the like can add to the quality of your city. These are potential walls/fences you can use to create “order” to your city:

Buildings – Wall

Embellishment – PROP Wood Wall

Embellishment – PROP Rock Fence

Embellishment – Ruined Wall

Embellishment – PROP Native

Units – Native Villagers

NOTE: some walls dont block units, this can be fixed with “SPC Path Block”

- Walls that make the border of a city or fort can be a little more complex than just a “fort wall” or a “wood wall”. Experiment with different layers made out of different types of wall. A little elevation makes your walls look higher and bigger. An example:

[JPEG, (391.90 KB)]

- When you add a railway track (trade route) to your city, keep in mind that the railway-track is a little wider than the trade-route you see in the editor. Also remember that the train doesn’t stop exactly where the track ends, it goes a bit further. It may give some unwanted effects when you place a building or road for example to close to the end of a trade-route.

Building Mashing:

Building mashing is one of the most difficult divisions of eye-candy, and it requires a healthy amount of insight and fantasy to use this effectively. Building mashing is nothing more than placing multiple buildings (and some embellishments) over eachother to create larger, more impressive structures than just the default buildings. It is difficult to give much usefull information about this. Not every designer uses this as much as others. I myself am a huge fan of building mashing. For one-floor building mashing (without using elevation) there are little tips. The only thing you can do about this is experiment

- You can put your buildings on, around and on top of elevated terrain to make the rise up into the air. I find that using rectangulair elevations work best by far. You will find that with a round elevation, it is difficult to get your buildings on the side in the area where you want them.

- Try to have a little symmety in your building mashing (especially when using elevations). This will look best in far most of the time. It doesnt have to be symmetric in every way, it just have to show traces of it.

- In building mashing, walls are your friends. You can use fort walls and corners for the bottom of your structure in may occasions. The palisade walls on the bottom of your build list can be used to fill up spaces just about everywhere, and so there are more uses, ruined walls (under embellishment) are great for aztec/Mayan/Inca structures, as well as bridges:

Bridge

- The elevated terrain should be coverd as much as possible. Wood walls present a good solution, but flat wooden objects like “SPC Port”(under buildings) and Railway PROPs (under embellishment) are also very usefull for this.

Remember that there are flags sticking out on top of some buildings. In the worst case, you have 12 flags on top of your building, which doesnt add much to the eye-candynesh.

A few examples of building mashing:

[JPEG, (348.14 KB)]
[JPEG, (415.32 KB)](also notice the damn flags :/ )
[JPEG, (407.45 KB)]
[JPEG, (391.90 KB)]

--------------------------

These are all the tips I have for you people, now let your creativity do the rest and make me some nice scenario’s J.

Appendix A
Pics of buildings in different ages, with different civs:

British/Dutch/French:

[JPEG, (169.50 KB)]
[JPEG, (190.76 KB)]
Age 1

[JPEG, (180.92 KB)]
[JPEG, (201.64 KB)]
Age 2+3

[JPEG, (194.83 KB)]
[JPEG, (199.27 KB)]
Age 4+5

German/Russian:

[JPEG, (171.08 KB)]
[JPEG, (190.36 KB)]
Age 1

[JPEG, (176.16 KB)]
[JPEG, (193.93 KB)]
Age 2+3

[JPEG, (194.74 KB)]
[JPEG, (204.85 KB)]
Age 4+5

Spanish/Portugese/Ottoman:

[JPEG, (172.39 KB)]
[JPEG, (190.28 KB)]
Age 1

[JPEG, (192.10 KB)]
[JPEG, (198.70 KB)]
Age 2+3

[JPEG, (178.04 KB)]
[JPEG, (193.48 KB)]
Age 4+5

On every upper shot are displayed: Town Center, House, Livestock Pen, Market, Mill, Plantation and Capitol
On every lower shot are displayed: Barracks, Stable, Arsenal, Factory, Dock, Fort and Artillery Foundary

Churches are unique to each civ:

[JPEG, (151.87 KB)]
[JPEG, (153.27 KB)]
Age 1-3. In order of appearance: British, Dutch, French, German, Ottoman, Portugese, Russian, Spanish

[JPEG, (152.08 KB)]
[JPEG, (154.90 KB)]
Age 4+5. In Order of appearance British, Dutch, French, German, Ottoman, Portugese, Russian, Spanish

Towers change appearance when they get upgraded (but look the same for every civ)

f.l.t.r: Outpost, Frontier Outpost, Fortified Outpost

The Bank does not change appearance through the ages. The Blockhouse changes with updates just like the outpost (pics of this will be available somewhere in the future)

Appendix B
Usefull links

The Eye-Candy thread

Age of WIKI

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer

[This message has been edited by Reinfire (edited 02-12-2006 @ 02:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-28-06 04:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Hey, cool thread!

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 01-28-06 05:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
Sweet guide Rein

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 01-28-06 05:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
Dang, that is a sweet guide! Good work!

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Proud Member of Liquid Fire Studios
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
posted 01-28-06 06:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
Wow, this is an awesome guide, Reinfire! It should be stickied.

Visit The EyeCandy Guild!
« « Co-Founder & Co-Leader » »
ForumTeam
retired
posted 01-28-06 06:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Fantastic guide.
posted 01-29-06 03:22 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
It took me quite a while to get all those pictures.

Thank you guys for the positive comments.

Reinfire
posted 01-29-06 03:39 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Meh, I don't need it, but there are lots of n00bs, so it was good that you made it.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 01-29-06 04:45 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
Brilliant, just brilliant, should be in the AOE3H news.

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 01-29-06 02:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  

Quote:

should be in the AOE3H news

Perhaps, but I don't think there are even people with acces to the news page who visit the Scenario Design forum.

It would be nice though, since it would certainly get some more people to give me their opinions about it. I don't hope that it will go down the list with hardly any people noticing it

Reinfire
posted 01-29-06 02:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
Material like this is always nice to add to the forums. It can be searched later by others interested in reference material about the editor. It's a lot of work putting together an illustrated guide so thanks for the effort.
posted 01-29-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
I love it, great job man. Naturally, by posting it in the forums, you give us permission to add this guide to the wiki. I'll give ya a link in a little bit.

EDIT: weee...

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.

[This message has been edited by Papaya (edited 01-29-2006 @ 08:19 PM).]

posted 01-29-06 08:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
Sweet guide Rein.
I think we should have a Design Library. This definately is a awesome guide, and this should kick it off well.

,,'``',,The Mighty
:````:~Lemon~~
``,,,,``()()()()()()
~God of all Citrus~
Swordsworn, your Lemon Sig hurts my eyes - Reinfire
posted 01-30-06 03:43 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
That's one hell of a guide.

You say the blockhouse doesn't change through the ages, but it does change with the upgrades (Considering it acts as a tower). You might want to include that (or not, considering as you've already done a sizable amount).

"Post-Imp no rush 45 mins" - I seriously saw this...
posted 01-30-06 04:13 AM EDT (US)     14 / 32  

Quote:

You say the blockhouse doesn't change through the ages, but it does change with the upgrades

It does? Lol, I never noticed that, I may add screenies of that when I have more time.

Quote:

Naturally, by posting it in the forums, you give us permission to add this guide to the wiki

Naturally , oh and the picture under "Grassy Area's, Forests and Plains" doesnt appear, I will try to fix that

EDIT: fixed

Reinfire

[This message has been edited by Reinfire (edited 01-30-2006 @ 04:16 AM).]

posted 01-30-06 09:30 AM EDT (US)     15 / 32  

Quote:

Perhaps, but I don't think there are even people with acces to the news page who visit the Scenario Design forum.

Elpea!

Stickying would also be great.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 02-08-06 01:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  

Quote:

The Bank and the Blockhouse do not change appearance through the ages

the blockhouse changes when upgraded like outposts

check my stats

Proud creator of the FIRST King Of The Hill Map for AoE3

My blog <<---- updated daily

posted 02-08-06 01:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
posted 02-11-06 05:05 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
Nice. I <3 you Rein.

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
posted 02-11-06 07:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
Oooh good! I'm creating a campaign and I want the maps to be great so this will help a lot! Thanks.

"Nothing is ever stolen, it's only permanantly borrowed."-Me

"All who surrender will be spared; whoever does not surrender but opposed with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."-Genghis Khan

More Genghis Khan quotes here.

posted 02-11-06 08:46 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
Reinfire you want to turn your guide into a movie for LFS's cinema?
posted 02-12-06 03:19 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
A movie?

Sure, I would love too, but I don't see how this can be turned into a movie

Oh, and thank you Echo

Reinfire

[This message has been edited by Reinfire (edited 02-12-2006 @ 03:20 AM).]

posted 02-12-06 03:59 AM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
Great information

I will use this & hopefully the Terrain I'm building currently not only beautiful but with added-difficulty. I'm not sure if this could happen.

posted 02-12-06 06:51 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
Nice

Siewart

ESO: F4N4T1C

posted 02-12-06 10:50 AM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Stickied, very useful thread.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 02-12-06 11:59 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Hell yeah! very Worthy.

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A Guide for Improving Your Mapping-Skills
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames