Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Eye-Candy Guide
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 03-24-06 02:55 PM EDT (US)   
The Eye-Candy Guide

By Custergrant, Twoqtimes2, and Shaw DA MAN

The reason this thread was created was to inspire and increase the amount of eye-candiers and eye-candy being produced here at HG. In my opinion, AOE3H has some of the best designers out there, that are currently working on this game. So this guide is mainly for eye-candy, and pretty much eye-candy only, although the tips can be used in other areas. Note: It is not our intention to remake Reinfire’s excellent “Improving Your Mapping Skills” guide, but to expand on specific methods for creating great screen shots.

-General Tips-

Don’t make it the end of the world if something isn’t just in the right spot. True, for eye-candy purposes, you want it to be in that perfect spot, but it’ll still look good even if it isn’t.

Get to know all the objects in the objects list. If you know what objects are available in which category (nature, embellishment, units etc), it can save you much time in looking for that one specific object you want to place. Browsing the entire objects list often gives you ideas for your scenario. But there are things in the “all” category that aren’t in any other, so it’s good to keep that in mind. An example would be the SPC Blizzard.

Keep playing around with your shot. Through just playing around and trying things out, you’ll both learn about some things in the editor, and make your shot look better.

Also try to make your shot look unique. Do something to it that will make people’s jaws drop, and just say wow.

Download and install Shaw’s HC Units and Buildings Mod. This mod will really help you out, if you want to make some good eye-candy. http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=338

Specialized Tips

-Coming Up With A Unique And Creative Idea-

I Wonder What I Will Make My Next Screenshot Of?

There are many things that could be an answer for this one. It’s mainly up to you on what and how you do this one. These are just some possible tips to help you.

Generally for what I do, I’ll just open up my place object and look around until I find something that looks interesting and work off that. If you want to do an ocean/port scene, then look at the ships, HC buildings and people, etc….

Everybody always loves a good natural scene. But everybody also likes a good city scene or an army scene. It’s up to you what you make your shot of, though.

-Lighting-

Lighting…Friend or Enemy

Ever see some screenshots, and they were draped in a warm yet, dark lighting that reminded you of a fond memory? That was probably caused by the effects of the lightings in the editor.

The different lightings are crucial to what could make an awesome shot or a crappy one. Some are good for snowy scenes while others are for that all encompassing sunset. Below are a list of the different ones and what kind of scenes they’re good for, IMO.

To access the lighting menu, go to the top bar on the editor and click on the light bulb. This will open the world lighting menu. In all, there are 67 different lightings.

Screenshot

Note: I took these all through the same test and just wrote down comments I had for each one, but these may and probably will differ in your opinion.

Default-The lighting you always get at the beginning, and can be used in pretty much any situation, besides maybe night scenes
201a-A little bit brighter than default.
301a_malta-Dark, and good for afternoon shots.
302a-Longer shadows than default.
302a_base -Tad bit darker and has longer shadows than 301a_malta.
302b_cavelighting-Very dark and good for night shots.
303_atsea-A lot like default and as its name says, good for sea shots.
304a-A little bit darker than default.
304a_base-Bright.
305b-A dark lighting good for dusk shots.
306a_caribbean-Bright lighting good for battle shots, and it makes units somewhat shiny.
307a_beach-Good for afternoon shots and makes units bright.
307b_trueenemy-Much like default, but can be good for snow shots, and makes units shiny.
308b_caribbeanlight-Dark, good for dusk or snow shots and makes units bright/shiny.
309a_summoned-A little brighter than the last one.
310b_brunswickdestroyed-Dark, with long shadows, and good for snow or water shots.
311b-All I have for this one is that it has a lot of green in it, kind of makes everything greenish.
312b_washington-Bright.
316a_russians-Good lighting for snow shots.
316b_rockieslight-Good for a cloudy or snowy shot, and makes metal shine.
319a_snow-Lightly bright lighting and is good for snow shots.
319b_mineentrance-Somewhat like the default, but good for snow shots.
323b_inca-Good for afternoon or midday shots.
324b-Pretty much like the default.
325a_oldcoot-Shadows are a little longer than the default’s.
amazon-Good day lighting with decent sized shadows.
amsterdamevening-Dark lighting good for dusk or possibly night shots. Has the longest shadows than any other lighting.
amsterdam-Bright lighting with shadows, and is good for water shots.
bayou-Good all general day lighting and is good for sunsets.
berlindusk-Dark lighting with long shadows and makes metal shine.
berlin-A pretty bright lighting.
boston-A lighting that is somewhat dark, but does make units appear very bright.
caribbean-Has shadows and is good for watery shots.
carolina-Lighting that is good for afternoon shots.
carribean- Had long shadows and is good if you are wanting your shot to appear stormy.
constantinople-Bright lighting that is good for changing water .
greatlakeswinter –Good for snowy or cloudy-like shots.
greatlakes-Again, good for cloudy-like shots, and afternoon shots.
greatplains-A pretty bright lighting that is great for midday shots.
greatplainstest-Just a little darker than the greatplains lighting.
lisbonstorm-Good for stormy shots, and is relatively dark, and is very red, by that I mean, makes objects have a lot more red in them.
lisbon-Not quite as dark as lisbonstorm, but still has all of its properties.
londonsunset-Very dark lighting with long shadows.
london-Fairly bright lighting and makes units appear very bright.
malta-Brightest lighting of them all.
minescene-Very good for night scenes.
newenglandstart-A relatively dark lighting that is great for morning shots.
newengland-My personal favorite of the different lightings. Is good for afternoons shots, and when mixed with New England water, can make an awesome sunset effect.
ottomanmorning-A pretty bright lighting good for morning shots, and has shadows.
pampas-A very versatile lighting, being good at afternoon, cloudy, or watery shots.
parisday-A bright lighting that makes units bright.
paris- Good for sunsets and has long shadows.
patagonia-Lighting that is good for afternoon and snowy shots.
rockies-Excellent lighting for snow and forest scenes.
saguenay-Once again, excellent lighting for snow and afternoon shots.
sevillemorning-Has shadows and is good for morning and afternoon shots.
seville-Bright lighting that is good for water and makes units bright.
sonora-Pretty much the lighting you see in all those Western movies. Good for morning to afternoon shots.
spc14buffalo-Quite good for late afternoon shots and has pretty long shadows.
spc14anight-Pretty much what its name says, great for night shots.
st_louis-A relatively dark lighting that makes units bright.
st_petersburg-Great lighting with shadows that is probably one of the best for snow.
st_petersburg_night-Superb night lighting.
texas-A pretty bright lighting.
yucatan-The exact same lighting as texas. I’m not really sure why they even have it.
Yukon-A somewhat darkish lighting that is excellent for snow shots, and isn’t too bad for cloudy shots either.

Editor’s Note: All the lightings that represent a city tend to make units very bright. These are not recommended if making an eye-candy shot focused on a person or persons, close-up anyways.

-Skyboxes-

How to Master Those Pesky Skyboxes

Have you ever seen those screenshots with a sky in the background, but didn’t know how to create that? Well, you’re about to find out.

Skyboxes are a very interesting concept. Using them correctly can immediately differentiate a noob from well, not a noob eye-candy creator. There are only 2 skyboxes in the Editor. Both are found under embellishments.

The first one, just called SPC skybox is a picture of the sky in the dark. The best lightings for it are cavelighting, minescene,spc14anight, and st_petersburg_night. When this one is used properly and creatively, it can make an amazing shot. The only problem with this one is that it is pretty small, and will usually require you to stack the skybox or just zoom in pretty far. But the skybox1 isn’t near as far. Example below:

Screenshot

And then there is always the skybox1, which is a clip of the sky during the day. As with the night skybox, it can be used to make a piece of eye-candy a lot better and more interesting. This is also quite a bit bigger than the night skybox. Good lightings for this one are pretty much any lighting as long as it isn’t like a night scene.

Screenshot

But using skyboxes well takes time, practice, and these few tips.

Sometimes, you just can’t get that skybox to fit perfectly. You still can see black on the edges and sides. So first off, just try to zoom in or move forward. If that still doesn’t work, or you don’t like the way it looks, then you can change the landscape or stack skyboxes.

By changing the landscape, I mean putting hills or raising the land in general in front of your skybox. Cliffs are a great tool to use if you are having this problem. What I usually do if I don’t want to add cliffs is click on the raise/lower elevation tool, and set my brush size to 30(it can be any size you want), and just raise the overall land either in front of or the land the skybox is actually on.

Screenshot

Now a lot of people have been asking, “How do you stack skyboxes?” or “What do you mean by stacking skyboxes?” By stacking skyboxes, we are talking about having a skybox set where you want it, but it isn’t high enough, so we raise or cliff the land right behind it, and put a skybox on there. So let’s stack a skybox.

I’ve found that it is best that you just make a few little cliffs with the desired height that you want to make the skybox be, then place the skybox near it. Then use your move object tool and move it on up the cliff. That seems to be the easiest and fastest way for me, but you can just directly place it on top of the cliffs, but for that perfection stuff, I like to place it on the ground first. Also, it helps if you rotate the skybox. To do this, click your move object button, and click on the desired skybox. Then, while pressing Control, use your arrow keys(left or right), and move it to the right spot.

Screenshot

A warning on stacking skyboxes. Be careful on how you set the stacked skybox. Take the night skybox for example, if you place your first one, then stack your next one, but the stacked one is too low, you might wind up with two moons. So make sure that your skyboxes line up okay, and don’t contradict the other.

If none of this works, then you should just take the shot anyways, open it up in PhotoShop, paint, or some other place you can edit a picture, and just crop off what is no good. But try to get the least amount of black void as you can, while still making the shot look good, so you don’t lose too much of your picture from cropping.

Warning on using “paint” and “Photoshop”: In my experience, opening the screenshot in any other application can have adverse effects on the quality of the graphics and should be avoided if at all possible.

-Using Animation And Camera Track Triggers For Screenshots-

Make Your People Do Things Now!

Ever wonder how they get those characters to sit down or fish or look like they are talking? Here is a simple guide as to how it is done even for dummies like me. This will require using triggers and cinematics.

Let’s make the Old Coot sit down on a stone fence.

1.Place your stone fence and the place the Old Coot in front of it.
2.Next we want to make a camera track using cinematics. Select the camera editor as illustrated by “ONE”.

Screenshot- Shows One and Two

3.Press the insert button to bring up our camera track as illustrated by “TWO”.
4.Next we will position our camera to the desired pitch and zoom using the pitch editor. Once the desired pitch and zoom are achieved, press add on the camera editor as illustrated by “THREE”.
5.Then put in the duration of the track as illustrated by “FOUR”. I used 5 secs here because that is all the time needed and camera will remain in that position until you move it.

Special Note: The “Pitch Editor” is part of Reyk’s Mod http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=318
If you do not have this or any other Camera Pitch Mod, you can use the “Camera Face Unit” trigger. If you need further explanation on triggers go to http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Triggers_Explained

Screenshot- Shows Three and Four

6.Now close out the Camera Track Editor, we’re finished with the cinematic. Next come the triggers.
7.Open the Triggers Editor and press insert as illustrated by ”FIVE”. Then select Active, Loop, and Run Immediately as illustrated by “SIX”.

Screenshot- Shows Five and Six

8.Next go to condition and set as Always.
9.Next go to Effect and select Set Animation. Then select the Old Coot as illustrated by “SEVEN”. Press the unit button as illustrated by “EIGHT”. Then type in the animation SittingIdle as illustrated by “NINE”.

Screenshot- Shows Seven, Eight, and Nine

10.Trigger one is done. Now insert another trigger the same way as illustrated by “FOUR”
11.This time only select Active and Run immediately. Go to Conditions and set Always. Go to Effects and set Camera Track under type and Track_1 under Name as illustrated by “TEN”

Screenshot- Shows Ten

12.Insert the last trigger, again referring to illustration “FOUR”. This one is for the Screenshot. This time select Active only.
13.Next go to Conditions and select timer. Set the time at 7 seconds. Now go to Effects and select SCREENSHOT. Triggers done.
14.The next step is the easiest. Go to File and select Screenshot. There will be two tic boxes that say Interface and Pointer. Make sure to select both and then close the box.
15.Now go to Scenario and select Playtest Scenario and watch the Old Coot sit down. You will see when the screenshot happens.

Screenshot

IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that because we are using “Loop” on the Animation Triggers, that the animations are constantly recycling. Any “Idle” animation will remain constant, but the motion animations such as “Talk”, “Point”, “FireWeapon”, etc... will continually regenerate. Because many of the motion animations recycle on half-second intervals, you may not get the desired effect by using the “SCREENSHOT/Timer” trigger. If this is the case, then simply run the playtest and wait until the motion is where you want it and press “print screen” on your keyboard. “Print screen” will take the shot and place it in the same place as all of your other screenshots.

From this point you can add more Characters and animations by following the steps illustrated. Open the triggers editor again and then select the first animation trigger.
Then on right side of the editor you will see another list of selections that include Insert, Copy and Delete. After adding new character, set their animations as shown below. A list of all the animations, and what they do can be found at http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Animations_List

Screenshot

AND VIOLA!

Screenshot

-Special Effects-

Using Weather And Time To Your Advantage

Special effects, such as rain, snow, and lighting, such as sunset-scenes, add a good deal of appeal to your screenshot.

First off, we’re going to talk about rain and snow. Both of them can be found in both the place objects list, and have separate triggers. Under place objects, look under embellishments, and you will find PROP Rain. This will give you a blotch that rain will come out of. Compared to the triggered rain, this rain is bigger than the other’s.

Screenshot
(notice the size of the rain, and the x’s it makes)

Or, you can go to the triggers menu. Click on the triggers button, and insert a new trigger. Set it to Active, Loop, and Run Immediately. Then go to Effects, and click on Render Rain. From here, you can set how hard/much you want it to rain.

Then, when you go to your playtest, movie, or whatever it will be, it’ll be raining the way you set it.

For snow, you can go to the objects list and under the all category, find SPC Blizzard. SPC Blizzard creates a lot of snow and wind, but when you take a screenshot(from the editor), you only get a few snowflakes.

So I’ve found that manually entering the snow via a trigger works a lot better. To do this, open up the triggers menu and select Active, Loop, and Run Immediately. Then go to effects, and click Render Snow. Just like the Render Rain effect, you can enter in a number to effect how hard/much of it you want it to snow. So enter that trigger in, and when you playtest your scenario, it’ll now be snowing.

Screenshot

(This picture actually doesn’t show much snow, but that’s because it was taken at a 10 degree angle. A rule of thumb for using the render rain and snow is that they really don’t show up at very low angles…but some still do show up.)

And then there is always that all-moving sunset or cool lighting. One thing I really like about the editor is the way the water reacts with the lighting. There are many, many possibilities you can generate with the water and lighting, but I’m going to list some of the best. But it is really up to you to do some trial and error to get that perfect look.

As I was saying earlier, it is up to you to choose what you want. But for that sunset, I personally like the New England Water with the New England Lighting. For a rainy day, then choose minescene with just about any water. For that tropical look, then go with any of the two lisbon lightings and Caribbean water, or any other water will do nicely. Those are just a couple of the cool water/lighting combos.

-An Advanced Guide To Placing Units on Ships, Buildings, Etc…-

Ohh…So That’s How They Placed Those Objects On There

Did you ever wonder how to put units on top of buildings and on ships? Keep reading!

In the AOE3 single-player campaign (Blood, Ice, Steel) You see Morgan and Lizzie on ships. In many screenshots in the AOE3 Heaven Scen. Design Eyecandy thread you will see units on top of buildings, in boats, etc. Cool, huh?

As far as I know, there are 3 ways to get this done and we will show you step-by-step how you can do it yourself.

The first way:

Step 1.
Step 1 of course is to determine what unit(s) you want to put on the building/ship. I will show you how to do it for a ship(the method for ships and buildings is pretty much the same). For this guide I will use a Caravel and an IGC Musketeer, although the method is basically the same for all ships, units, and buildings.

First, we place the objects that we will be using. In this example, I will only be using 2 units, but you can use as many as you like:

Screenshot
The units I plan to use are now on the map. ^^^

Step 2.
Now, I rotate the camera to get a better view, and, using the elevation tool, I raise a little hill of land near the Caravel. Notice, the brush is on the smallest setting, medium speed.

Screenshot
Notice the little hill. ^^^^

Step 3.

Now, use the "Position object" tool to move the IGC Musketeer onto the little hill.(click and drag)

Screenshot
Now the IGC Musketeer is on the hill. ^^^

Still using the "position object" tool, move the IGC Musketeer(or whatever unit you are using) around a little bit until you hit the "sweet spot". The sweet spot is when the unit is on the very top of the hill- as high on the hill as you can get it.

Step 4.

Now, still using the "position object" tool, move the Caravel on top of the little hill: (click and drag)

Screenshot

The caravel is on top of the little hill. ^^

Great! Now the IGC Musketeer is "on" the Caravel. But, there are 2 problems. 1, half of his legs are cut off. 2, You can see a little bit of the hill underneath the Caravel.(see the light area?). Lets fix those 2 problems.

Step 5.

Using the "elevation" tool again, put it on the slowest setting. This allows you to make fine adjustments without accidentally sending your musketeer up into the sky. Then slowly raise and/or lower the little hill until the musketeer's feet are showing properly and you can't see any part of the little hill. This will probably take some trial and error, and you may need to use the "position object" tool again and make slight adjustments to the positioning of the Caravel and Musketeer until it looks just right. If you have the elevation perfect but you can still see a little bit of the hill underneath the boat, use the "paint terrain" tool on the smallest brush size and paint a little bit of "blackmap" texture underneath the ship. This makes it appear as if it was simply a shadow under the boat.

Screenshot

Here is the finished product:
Pretty, isn't it?

NOTE: This method is only useful for screenshots and cinematics, because the units cannot move and if the unit or building upon which they are standing is destroyed, obviously it will ruin the effect. The method for buildings is virtually identical, and with a bit of practice you should be able to do it without much trouble. If you want more great examples, check out the AOE3 Eyecandy thread in the AOE3 Heaven website Scen. Design Thread. I hope this guide helped you, and I hope you will enjoy using this technique!

The second way is to modify the proto.xml file, which requires some modding experience. Using this method will be more inclusive as you can modify a limitless amount of units and buildings. But without the knowledge or experience in modifying files, this could be quite an undertaking. If you are interested in using this method, ToMyBoy has a guide on how to do it here: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,27570,,all

-Also the Floating Object Guide-

The third way, which I believe is the easiest, I will explain here in detail. This requires using the “javelin” under embellishments and the “Replace Object” tool.

First place the javelin. In the following illustrations, I have used the “Pitch Editor” that is included in http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=318 for a better view of how this is done.

After placing the javelin, use the move tool and rotate the javelin as shown in the following 2 shots:

Screenshot

rotate to:

Screenshot

Now use the up-down arrows on the keyboard and raise the javelin to the desired height as illustrated:

Screenshot

Now rotate the javelin back to its original position:

Screenshot

Now go to the “Replace Object” tool and select the object you want to change the unit into. Here I used “Prop_potted plants” under embellishments:

Screenshot

As you can see, the potted plant has now ignored the laws of gravity. Let’s try a unit now. Use the same method as before and now replace the javelin with a unit

Screenshot

I have experimented with nearly all of the units in the library including the IGC and HC units and have not found any so far that did not work using this method

Floating Old Coot

Screenshot

Unfortunately I have not found any buildings that will stay elevated using this method, but by elevating the units you can make some very interesting screenshots.
Use this method for placing units on walls, buildings, towers or what ever you want.

Special Note: This method is only good for Screenshots or Cinemas. Once the unit is moved in this state, it will fall back to the ground.

-How to Make Steps-

Stone Steps, A neat little trick

Many times you may feel limited in were you can place a building simply because you would like to have a building on an elevated piece of land but would like a nice way to get to the structure other than a terrain ramp. While there are many ways to make an attractive ramp, sometimes they just don’t seem to fit with the scene you are trying to create.

This guide will show how to dress up that ramp by using steps.

First go into objects and select “PROP rock fence” under embellishments. Keep right clicking until you have this version:

Screenshot

Go ahead and make several copies of the rock fence as these will be the treads to your staircase and you will need several. Once you have as many as you need, you will then rotate the stone fences like so:

Screenshot

Now use the mouse wheel to rotate the stone fences flat like this:

Screenshot

In this tutorial, I will only be using five stair treads for simplicity sake. Next line up the stone fences in front of the elevated terrain like this:

Screenshot

Screenshot

Now select all of the “stair treads” at once by holding down the left mouse button and dragging a box around all of them, then drag all the treads onto the elevated terrain. Make adjustments as necessary for evenness.

Screenshot

Now you can dress up the steps with eye-candy or even put railing on with any version of the “rock fence” rotated.

This is one example of how I used this method:

Screenshot

For a more rustic look you can use the single wood plank found under “SPC Railway Props” for the treads and the wood fence found under “Props Native” for the railing.

This is only one example of the versatility of the “Rotating Objects” tool. Experiment and have fun.

-Making Bridges-

Bridges…Something That Adds A Lot of Pizzazz

Fans of ES and the "Age" series have long lamented the lack of a bridge object in the scenario editor.

But there is a way to make a fairly convincing bridge, one that units can walk on. I will show you how.

Step 1.

First, decide what water the bridge will be across. (In this example I am using "Yukon River", but the method applies to any water. You do not have to use the "River" tool, you can also use the regular "water" tool.)

Place your water.

Screenshot

The water is now on the map. ^^^^^^

Step 2.

Now, we create a "bridge" of land across the water. there are several ways to do this.
1. You can use the cliff tool, and simply adjust the height of the cliff to the level of the ground.
2. You can use the land tool and "draw" in the land (this method works best for water placed with the "water" tool, rather than the "river" tool).
3. Use the "Elevation" tool to raise the land in the water. (not recommended)

I will use the first method in this example, since I am using the river tool.

Using the "cliff" tool I keep making slight adjustments to the "height" slider until the cliff is exactly the same height as the ground. This involves a bit of trial and error. A height of "4.00" seems about right. (see picture) (obviously you want to use the type of cliff that best matches the water- I have selected "Rocky Mountain Edge").

Screenshot
The cliff is the same height as the ground. ^^^^

Step 3.

Now, place the "bridge" across the water. If you want the bridge to be wider or narrower, adjust the brush size accordingly.

Screenshot
The "bridge" is placed. ^^^^^^^

Now, we have a bridge that units can walk across. If you want the bridge to look like a natural bridge, read no further. But most people will want the bridge to look somewhat man-made, so let's move on to the "embellishment" stage.

Step 4.

Ok, let’s fancy up our bridge a bit. There are many number of ways to do this. I will show you 2 examples, but be imaginative!

The next screenshot was made with the basic bridge, (above) and props from the "place object" menu. I used the "position object" tool to put them all in place.......

Screenshot

This one was made using "SPC fort" walls and corners. ^^^^

There are many, many ways to execute this basic method, so use your imagination, try different things, and look at some screenshots in the AOE3 Heaven Website's EyeCandy Thread.

Now, I will briefly illustrate how to do it with the "paint land tool". (My favorite method)

As before, place your water first. I am using "Amazon River Basin". Then, select the "paint land" tool. Click "brush settings", and set the brush to square. You will see a setting for "cliff mode" in the brush settings menu, set it to "clamp high edge". Adjust the size of the brush to the desired width of bridge, and slowly, one click at a time, build the bridge across the water. If it becomes uneven, hit ctrl+z to undo until it looks good again. The edges must be perfectly straight for it to look good. It should look like this picture when you're done:

Screenshot

Nice and even..^^^^^^

Then of course we move on to the embellishment stage, and as before, there are dozens of ways to do this, so use your imagination and experiment. I will use "ruin wall" props here, and first I place several of them on the map so I can slide them into position using the "position object" tool:

Screenshot

The props I will use are on the map^^^^

After I click and drag them all into place, I rotate the map a few times to make sure it looks good from every angle.

Here is the finished product with a lightset, forest and underbrush added:

Screenshot

The bridge, embellished: Not bad, eh?

Of course, it isn't destructible or very realistic, but it's better than nothing.
If you want to see a great example, check out Raptor07's "Bayou bridge" screenshot in the AOE3 Heaven Scenario Design eye-candy thread. He did a great job!

-Links-

AoE3 Eye-Candy Thread- http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,25016,0,10

Reinfire’s Guide- http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,28208,0,10

Triggers List-http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Triggers_Explained

Shaw’s HC Mod- http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=338

Animation List-http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Animations_List

ToMyBoy’s Guide-http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=12,27570,,all

Reyk’s Mod-http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=318

-Credits-

Custergrant-
“Lighting...Friend Or Enemy”
“How To Master Those Pesky Skyboxes”
“Using Weather And Time To Your Advantage”
Author

ShawDaMan-
“Ohh...So That’s How They Place Those Objects On There”
“Bridges...Something That Adds A Lot Of Pizzazz”
Co-Author

Twoqtimes2-
“Make Your People Do Things Now!”
“Floating Objects Guide”
“Stone Steps, A Neat Little Trick”
Co-Author

-Thank You’s-

I, as in Custer speaking, can’t thank Twoq and Shaw enough for the work they’ve done and the help they’ve been. These guys are great, and just plain amazing, if you can’t tell by their work. We had some problems, as in mainly me, (and they were technical, not us fighting, thankfully) with the guide is some areas, but we fixed them, and twoq and Shaw were there all the way. I could keep going on, but they already know how much I feel indebted to them.

I would also like to thank all the HG Staff for being supportive and wanting to help out…Stonewall especially .

Of course, what would this guide be without the Eye-Candy thread and all the great people down there. I thank you all heavily, and Reinfire too.

Heck, you have to thank HG for being here, and bringing us altogether, so we can share all of this, and I think I’ll stop there…

And I would like to apoligize for not being able to insert pictures on here, due to size and technical problems.

So with that out of the way, I’m really hoping that this guide has taught you a thing or two. Hopefully it has inspired you to go out and try making your own shots on the editor yourself. Sometimes, all that is needed to inspire someone is just seeing the awesome shots down at the Eye-Candy Thread…I know that’s the way it was it Twoq. But this might have done just that. Maybe now, we’ll be seeing more than just the six or so same people posting in the Eye-Candy Thread and awesome shots in the contest .

Well, I hope you enjoyed reading this and it has done something for you. Thank you everyone and enjoy! Also, look forward to the next latest project of zeus and me, and possible additions to the guide. Have fun and keep making eye-candy!

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
Designer's Mod Co-Creator
Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

[This message has been edited by Custergrant (edited 03-26-2006 @ 05:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-24-06 02:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 108  
I hope you all enjoyed this.

If you find any mistakes or grammatical errors, or anything that needs fixing, just notify me, and I will fix it immediately.

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 04:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 108  
Look forward to checking this out later right now I have to share my comput
posted 03-24-06 04:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 108  
Looks pretty damn nice.
posted 03-24-06 04:38 PM EDT (US)     4 / 108  
I think I can speak on behalf of the three of us, when I say, thanks.

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 04:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 108  
Looks great
It will be very useful!

posted 03-24-06 04:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 108  
WOW! This is a very awesome and very complete guide guys! You covered everything brilliantly, well done!

Reverie World Studios
.:°.- Swift Sampson - .°:.
My custom AoM-TT Menu Backround
Member of Liquid Fire Studios | My AoM / AoE3 Eyecandy Screens | The Rise of Zeus
posted 03-24-06 06:50 PM EDT (US)     7 / 108  
Very nice! Some great stuff in there, I know I learnt a few things. Maybe you should put this up in the wiki.

(˘•٠˛••°ˉˆ˚°¤ ̬ ¤°˚ˆˉ°••˛٠•˘)
-o˚°o¤ Red Beard ¤o°˚o-
ˆ˚°”-•٠o•|^|•o٠•-“°˚ˆ
posted 03-24-06 06:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 108  
Thanks. We would like it to be in the Wiki too.

P.S. Swift, you planning on replying? Zeus and I are anxiously awaiting your opinion.

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 07:00 PM EDT (US)     9 / 108  
STICKY THIS INCREDIBLE GUIDE NOW!

AOE III/TWC: 1st Lieutenant
TAD: Master Sergeant (~30 Games Played)
posted 03-24-06 07:27 PM EDT (US)     10 / 108  
Great job guys nice read and a very carfuly plotted step by step guide. The trigger work is great for noobs to get them going on somthing not to difficult yet that will produce nice results. Good work men time to sit back and enjoy a cold one
posted 03-24-06 07:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 108  

Quote:

P.S. Swift, you planning on replying? Zeus and I are anxiously awaiting your opinion.

Custer do you use MSN, if so I would prefer to chat to you there rather than through e-mail.

Reverie World Studios
.:°.- Swift Sampson - .°:.
My custom AoM-TT Menu Backround
Member of Liquid Fire Studios | My AoM / AoE3 Eyecandy Screens | The Rise of Zeus
posted 03-24-06 07:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 108  
Thanks. Swift I don't have MSN, but I do have AIM...

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 07:43 PM EDT (US)     13 / 108  
I agree, awesomeness!
(Custer get MSN)

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian_112 (edited 03-24-2006 @ 07:44 PM).]

posted 03-24-06 07:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 108  
Thanks for all the great reviews.

I have to take a moment to send out props to Custergrant. While Shaw and I participated in the content, it was Custer that pulled us all together. It was Custer, that through guilt, brow beating and sometimes torture kept the rest of us on track and focussed and was the the absolute backbone of this guide. Great job Custergrant !!!

[This message has been edited by twoqtimes2 (edited 04-18-2006 @ 09:39 AM).]

posted 03-24-06 07:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 108  
What are you talking about? I was the main reason of all the problems....anyhoo, thanks.

EDIT: Why did I say that? Now I'm going to be lectured by twoq...no!!! Actually, all the problems weren't my fault, and just fate, but who cares?

Come join the Guild!

[This message has been edited by Custergrant (edited 03-24-2006 @ 07:59 PM).]

posted 03-24-06 08:10 PM EDT (US)     16 / 108  
Great Guide! It even taught me some things!

However, I would like to further extend its glory...
The last 3 bridge screenshots are sort of fuzzy and are hard to read when looking at the words. Also, Shaw has incorporated my cheat units proto with his HC proto to make a bigger and better one which can be found here. I also looked over the snow screenie and have found snow on the ground, but none in the air falling like you said it would be. Some example screenies in the floating units section are very small and thus, hard to se clearly. There are many varying screenies that are often from the Eye-Candy Thread and don't seem to really explain to the fresh newbies how to do this or that, but maybe that's just me.

Like I've said before, all 3 of you have done a suppurb job and should receive everlasting AoE3 recognition.

Visit The EyeCandy Guild!
« « Co-Founder & Co-Leader » »
ForumTeam
retired
posted 03-24-06 08:13 PM EDT (US)     17 / 108  
Like I said, I wish to apoligize for the images. That was where almost all of our trouble was, and we had to comprimise with the system a lot, and just go with what could even work. I'll try to fix those during the weekend, if I can.

EDIT: Have you gotten your message?

Come join the Guild!

[This message has been edited by Custergrant (edited 03-24-2006 @ 08:14 PM).]

posted 03-24-06 08:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 108  
Ya. ^ I'll reply in a bit.

ForumTeam
retired
posted 03-24-06 08:20 PM EDT (US)     19 / 108  
Alright.

Would anyone want a guide(addition onto here) on how to make creeks? If so, I can have one up by tomorrow night.

Come join the Guild!

[This message has been edited by Custergrant (edited 03-24-2006 @ 08:21 PM).]

posted 03-24-06 08:29 PM EDT (US)     20 / 108  
Anything to better improve the guide and revive the Scenario Designing community is welcome. Custer, that'd be great.

ForumTeam
retired
posted 03-24-06 08:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 108  
That's what I've been trying to do for the last few weeks.

Zeus, you have AIM?

Also, I'm off for a couple hours, so cya later tonight.

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 08:35 PM EDT (US)     22 / 108  
I've had AIM for a while, but I rarely use it. I love the sounds though. (You've got mail!)

ForumTeam
retired
posted 03-24-06 09:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 108  
I just got it, and man does it make life easier than using email, which still can be used. Just look for Custergrant on there, if you need to speak to me, or email me. It's in the profile.

Come join the Guild!

posted 03-24-06 09:49 PM EDT (US)     24 / 108  

Quote:

Great job guys nice read and a very carfuly plotted step by step guide. The trigger work is great for noobs to get them going on somthing not to difficult yet that will produce nice results. Good work men time to sit back and enjoy a cold one

Thanks It took long enough

This is the first time I have been able to see it here *finally*
Thanks for all the compliments people!! and I second emperorpatricks' motion to have it stickied (that will make it easier to add new content

Thanks custer, and 2Q!! Like 2q said, you pulled it all together custer.
I enjoyed co-authoring it.

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache
posted 03-24-06 09:51 PM EDT (US)     25 / 108  
And I enjoyed working with such great people!

Alright, I'll get to work on the additions part...

Come join the Guild!

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The Eye-Candy Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames