Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Holy Book of Modding
posted 12-04-05 06:45 AM EDT (US)   
This topic will include all the modding knowledge we have in one topic. Everyone may post there discoveries, in the form of a small tutorial. This should make it easier for not only newbie modders, but for every modder around. This topic should grow over time, because more and more discoveries will be made on the modding area.

How it works:
Blue is the colour of the Table of Contents. In here you can see the main sections, which themselves are diveded into sub-sections.

Red is the colour of the Main Sections. They can be divided into sub-sections.

White is the colour of the Sub Sections, the tutorials.

Table of Contents:

• What a modder needs
    • How to Change...
    • Needs to be added
    • Impossible to do

What a modder needs
First of all a modder needs a drive to change the game into something of it's own. This could either be just a unit, or maybe a whole civilization. However, one cannot mod without the proper tools.

First off, you'll need AoE3ED.
This program will let you extract the files you need from the .bar file. And it will also let you convert the files to a format you're able to edit.

Second, Notepad. This is for changing anim files, proto code etc. Another type editor can be used, but Notepad is recommended because it loads fast, works fast and doesn't screw up the code.

Third, if you're going to edit textures you'll need an image editor. Although Paint can be used, it's not recommended because of it's limited possibilities. You want to use Photoshop or GIMP, for the best result.

How to Change...

- Textures
    - A Unit's Name

Textures by Argalius
Textures are the visual part of a game. They include, but are not limited to, icons, unit's skin, terrain, portraits, UI, flags, etc.

To edit a texture you must first extract it from one of the bar files. In art3.bar you'll find the terrain textures and in art2.bar you'll find the rest of the textures.

After you've extracted the texture you'd like to change, you'll have to convert the .ddt file to an editable format. So convert it with the FileConverter that came with AoE3ED and it will convert your file to .tga. Now open up your image editor and start changing your file.

When you're done changing you'll have to convert it back again, again use the FileConverter. Now that you have your texture you want it to show up in-game. This can be done by placing it on the right place in your AoE3 folder. So let's say you changed the Dutch flag. In AoE3ED you'll see that the file name is Art\objects\flags\dutch.ddt. That's the place you want to put your texture in. So go to Age of Empires III\art. There you'll see that there isn't an objects folder, let alone one with flags in it. So you'll have to create it yourself. So create folders until you get Age of Empires III\art\objects\flags and then put your texture (named dutch.ddt) in that folder and your texture should show up in-game.

A Unit's Name by Argalius
In your data folder you'll find a file named stringtable.xml.xmb. Convert this with your FileConverter to stringtable.xml. Open it with Notepad. Let's say we'd like to edit Morgan's name. We search for Morgan Black and we find this:
<string _locid="25278">Morgan Black</string>
The locid 25278 can be found in the proto code and points to use the name Morgan Black. If we want to change that name to Morgan White, we just have to change the Black into White with Notepad. Then save the file and reconvert it.

Ofcourse, this isn't very diffecult, but lets say we made our own unit, the infantry unit X. In the protocode we added this: (##### is a five number digit)
<DisplayNameID>#####</DisplayNameID> // The name of the unit you'll see in-game
<EditorNameID>#####</EditorNameID> // The name of the unit you'll see in the editor, ie. INF X

We go searching for some holes in the stringtable file. Right at the start we see this:
<string _locid="10670">Villagers gather Wood faster.</string>
<string _locid="11070">Gang Saw</string>
Note that 10671-11069 aren't used, so you can add your own strings there. We take 10671 for the DisplayName ID and 10672 for the EditorNameID. So in the proto code you'll see this:
<DisplayNameID>10671</DisplayNameID>
<EditorNameID>10672</EditorNameID>
And in the stringtable.xml you'll see this:
<string _locid="10670">Villagers gather Wood faster.</string>
<string _locid="10671">X</string>
<string _locid="10672">INF X</string>
<string _locid="11070">Gang Saw</string>

Now convert everything back and it should work.

Note that you must be carefull with sharing the stringtable file, because the file depends on a language. Mine is for instance English, but there are also French, German etc. versions of the file.

Needs to be added

- Campaign Making
    - Anim Files
    - etc.

Impossible to do
Because of the lack of our tools, there are some things we can't do.

- Editing models
    - Editing physics

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
Replies:
posted 12-04-05 01:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Good guide.
This will help me a little.

Do you know if ES is making a patch that will allow us to edit models?

Also, I am working on a really big easy to understand guide named Modding Made Easy. So far, it is 8 pages long and it has the basics (texture modding, 2D modding, modding resources, etc.) But, I don't have how to change a unit's name. Would you mind if I put that section of your guide and put it in my guide with your name on the credits?

posted 12-04-05 02:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't it be easier if we'd put everything in one topic/database? So, please, if you'd like, you could write a short version of your tutorials and I'll post it in this topic. On this way we can help the whole modding community and improve its quality easier. (of course credits will be given)

For larger (read: more detailed) tutorials: I know AoE3H is planning on making a modding section, I can't say more about it at the moment, though. So we'll get back on that in the future.

Quote:

Do you know if ES is making a patch that will allow us to edit models?

I think it's pretty safe to say they aren't and won't. The fact is that ES doesn't own the rights to the model format, .gr2. So everything about that would go via RadGameTools, and no petitions for an editor have helped in the past.

Quote:

texture modding, 2D modding

Isn't that the same?

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-04-05 04:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Texture modding and 2D modding are technically the same, but I am writing my guide for people new to modding. So, I am explaining them each a little differently with pictures and a words to know dictionary.

When it's done, I'll release the guide to AOMH and then make some changes and release it to AOE3H.

posted 12-07-05 06:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
ey kan je het misschien in het nederlands een beetje uitleggen hoe ik die units een andere kleur moet geven ik heb het geprobeert maar het lukte niet ik snap niet zo goed wat ik moet doen als ik het moet converten ...

en kan ik ook photo impact 10 gebruiken ?

ik had een muskteer ge-extract met AoE3ED en daarna geconvert toen ge-opent bij photo impact 10 daaran had ik alles rood gemaakt (maar die musketeer is heel raar op die foto op een stuke is een hooft en andere stuk riem hij is niet heel het zijn alemaal stukjes van zijn lichaam hordt dat zo ?) daarna moest ik tog een map maaken bij Age of empires III\Art\??? moet er staan objects of maakt dat niet uit ? (ik had dus wel objects gedaan) daarna had ik die Musketeer_15_high DDT bestand daar geplakt en deze ook Musketeer_15_high Ulead Photo image bestand daar ook geplakt zo moet het tog ? daarna ging ik het testen bij scenario editor en die musketeer was gewoon dezelfde kleur en ik heb elke musketeer gebprobeert in elke age .... kan je dus A.u.B het een beetje goed uitleggen want ik wil graag een goede Modder worden

Alvast bedankt misschien kan ik je toevoegen op msn dat is misschien wat handigger .. ik hoop dat je sne antwordt !!

Art\units\infantry_ranged\musketeer\musketeer_15_high.ddt

die had ik geconvert

[This message has been edited by XvirusX (edited 12-07-2005 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 12-08-05 01:28 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
XvirusX, you're supposed to talk English on this forum, but I'll mail you later today in Dutch on what to do.

About MSN, sure, add argalius-at-hotmail-dot-com.
Replace the -at- and -dot-, of course...

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-17-05 08:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15  

Quote:

ey kan je het misschien in het nederlands een beetje uitleggen hoe ik die units een andere kleur moet geven ik heb het geprobeert maar het lukte niet ik snap niet zo goed wat ik moet doen als ik het moet converten ...
en kan ik ook photo impact 10 gebruiken ?

ik had een muskteer ge-extract met AoE3ED en daarna geconvert toen ge-opent bij photo impact 10 daaran had ik alles rood gemaakt (maar die musketeer is heel raar op die foto op een stuke is een hooft en andere stuk riem hij is niet heel het zijn alemaal stukjes van zijn lichaam hordt dat zo ?) daarna moest ik tog een map maaken bij Age of empires III\Art\??? moet er staan objects of maakt dat niet uit ? (ik had dus wel objects gedaan) daarna had ik die Musketeer_15_high DDT bestand daar geplakt en deze ook Musketeer_15_high Ulead Photo image bestand daar ook geplakt zo moet het tog ? daarna ging ik het testen bij scenario editor en die musketeer was gewoon dezelfde kleur en ik heb elke musketeer gebprobeert in elke age .... kan je dus A.u.B het een beetje goed uitleggen want ik wil graag een goede Modder worden

Alvast bedankt misschien kan ik je toevoegen op msn dat is misschien wat handigger .. ik hoop dat je sne antwordt !!

Art\units\infantry_ranged\musketeer\musketeer_15_high.ddt

die had ik geconvert

Quite.

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
posted 12-28-05 10:58 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
Two questions (and I'll have you know I'm not a n00b to modding this type of game, as I was a rather skilled modder for AoM [I'm just new to AoE3] ):
1) Where is the AoE3 'proto' file for all the units?
2) How do I get started with anim editing (like where are the files and such located).

I just got the game, and already I'm modding. :-P

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
Proud Member of Liquid Fire Studios
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

[This message has been edited by BigFatZ (edited 12-28-2005 @ 11:00 AM).]

posted 12-28-05 02:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  

Quote:

1) Where is the AoE3 'proto' file for all the units?

It's just in the data map, not data.bar. That one gave me a hard time too.

Quote:

2) How do I get started with anim editing (like where are the files and such located).

They're in Art1.bar, or Art3, don't really know it out of the top of my head.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-28-05 03:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Oh, thanks! Now I can get modding some more.

Er, well, kinda. I was just looking at the anim, and it seems a bit complicated. I think I can still use it, although I hope there's a way to replace textures right inside the anim file. Also, I can't quite find the data map you spoke of...

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

[This message has been edited by BigFatZ (edited 12-28-2005 @ 03:57 PM).]

posted 12-28-05 09:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
What of adding units to the game? As in a new addition to the proto instead of modifying an existing unit. Has anyone had any success doing so, yet?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 12-28-2005 @ 09:39 PM).]

posted 12-28-05 09:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
That's pretty much what I'm asking, although I'd like to get the basics down first. Help us, o Argalius!

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
posted 12-29-05 05:51 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15  

Quote:

What of adding units to the game? As in a new addition to the proto instead of modifying an existing unit. Has anyone had any success doing so, yet?

I haven't tried it yet, but it's probably all just the same as in AoM, so new proto entry, anim file, sound, textures, models etc.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-29-05 10:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Mkay, but where is the proto? And, as I said, I think I found the anim file I need.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
posted 12-29-05 10:40 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
As I said in the data map, so Age of Empires III/data, is it really that hard?!

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-29-05 01:10 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
:-|

I am an IDIOT. MAN. Why didn't I look there in the FIRST PLACE!? I was expecting to have to extract it from somewhere! AGHH!

Well, thanks a LOT for helping with my stupidity. Now I can make my hero. :-D

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
βỉğҒặŧŽ
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The Holy Book of Modding
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames