You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires III: The Age of Crusades - ALPHA VERSION RELEASED!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
posted 12-25-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)   

Progress:
[••••••••••] {75%}

Credits:
Mod Leader & Coding: Argalius
AI Scripting: Felix Hermansson
Texturing: RiderofEternity, Treleth, Argalius
Random Map Scripting: RF_Gandalf
Hosting: Elpea
Screen-taking: Elpea, Spartos, RiderofEternity

Beta testing will start summer 2008!

Probably the most ambitious Age of Empires III mod ever, Age of Crusades adds six brand new nations, divided into two new cultures. This includes the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Templars, Hospitallers, Fatimids, Saracens and Seljuk Turks. The subcivs haven't been neglected and with the Cilician Armenians, Almoravides, Mameluks and Mongols there are four subcivs to ally with. The mod, as the name suggests, emphisizes on the Crusades and is based on the timespan from 1095 AD to 1291 AD. The mod has been in progress for almost 1.5 years and has finally reached alpha status. The mod doesn't only add new civilizations and units but also new buildings, new farm system, relics, new UIs, new AI and a staggering amount of 20 new maps!

The alpha version of the mod has been released to the public and can be download through the following link:
http://argalius.elpea.net/Crusade-alpha.zip

An online version of the ReadMe can be found here (it is important that you first read the ReadMe before you start your installation!):
http://argalius.elpea.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153

For suggestions, comments, reviews etc. you can visit the following link:
http://argalius.elpea.net/forum/index.php?f=11

As modleader I'd like to thank all the present and past team members who have worked hard with me to get to the point we are now.

Special thanks goes out to Elpea who has provided webspace and bandwidth for the mod. Without him all this wouldn't be possible!

Everything in this thread is subject to change without further notice.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 01-13-2008 @ 04:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-25-06 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 942  
I playtested it, awesome work (got it to make screenshots but my graphics card broke). Now get Elpea to take those screenshots
posted 12-25-06 01:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 942  
Sounds GRREEAT. I can't wait to see it.
posted 12-25-06 03:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 942  
i've been waiting for something just like this!!
i cant wait to see some more news to drool over

[This message has been edited by bcmax (edited 12-25-2006 @ 03:02 PM).]

posted 12-25-06 05:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 942  
Just got out of the hospital. My jaw dropped and hit the floor pretty hard when I saw this.

So what are the factions going to be?

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

posted 12-25-06 06:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 942  
Wow, great! I've been waiting for the announcement for a good number months already.

Quote:

• Age of Kings-style farming

I wonder how will you do such thing !

Anyway, get some screenshots for us... and a bit more specifi information would be good. I mean, about the Ages, Civilizations, Units, etc.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 12-25-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 942  
I wish you the best of luck on the mod. Can't wait to see screenshots.

Also known as ProvostGuard

Please feed the animals. Click here! (the link is correct this time!)
posted 12-25-06 06:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 942  
This is FANTASTIC!a total conversion mod!Im just curious in how will you make the siege machines(no model work,i think)
I cant wait to see more informations
posted 12-25-06 07:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 942  
I suppose that, for siege, he will be using mainly Heavy Infantry units.

Besides that, I think Rams or maybe even some retextured Mantlets can appear in the game... being both the early-mid game siege units. It wouldn't be much historically inaccurate to have a basic artillery unit (such as an Heavy Cannon) on later ages though.

I'm more interested in how the navy system will work. I suppose you would have to use the current one though, due to the lack of options...

ESO - Walker

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 12-25-2006 @ 07:35 PM).]

posted 12-25-06 09:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 942  

Quote:

I wonder how will you do such thing !

I guess it's possible, by mixing codes of mills and crates. The farm can be done by removing the "mill" from the "mill", so you get only the crops

Since it's not important to me, i never tested, but looks possible. There's a little problem, however. Just like medieval times, you'll need a HUGE territory, since farms are big

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 12-25-06 11:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 942  
Can someone who helps do this mod PLEASE post the new factions? I'm DYING to know.

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

posted 12-25-06 11:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 942  
Let me try: Britons (Richard the Lionhearted), Teutons (Frederick Barbarossa), Franks? (Godfrey of Bouillon), Muslims, and my two other trys: Venetians (or italians) and another muslim-like civ. Sarracens?

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 12-26-06 00:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 942  
I ever thought of a mod like this, so i've high expections.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 12-26-06 04:47 AM EDT (US)     13 / 942  
Questions, so many questions.

First of all, thanks for all the nice comments it really gives me a drive to continue. I'm not going to release too much information at once, because I need to keep your attention to last longer than two weeks. So about the factions I'm not going to tell you anything yet, they will come soon though (or atleast some of them).

AoK-style-farming
Just like in AoK you'll need to place every single farm. I made these farms by taking a very small object and adding the crops texture from the mill beneath it, looks pretty good if you ask me. I shrunk the size of course otherwise the farms would be huge. At first I also planned that you could only place farms near a mill, but I couldn't get it to work so now you can place them anywhere you want. With testing I found out that you'd get food quite easily so it needs further balancing tests. I could make the food gathered from a farm limited too, but at the moment they've unlimited food supply.

Siege Weapons
It's true that there are hardly any useful models for medieval sieges. In TWC there's a ram though I can use and probably the mantlet will be one aswell. But like Just a player said it'll mostly be specialized infantry that will knock down buildings. I was also think of using the petard from TWC but I haven't looked at that one yet. Cannons will be out of the questions, though.

Navy
The navy system will remain as it is, unless I find a way to remove the cannons I'm afraid you're just going to have to shoot with them. I'm looking into a few options to bring back a 'forgotten' type of ship.

Quote:

Can someone who helps do this mod PLEASE post the new factions?

At the moment I am the only one working at this mod. I only got help from RF_Gandalf for the RMS. Kastor and Elpea got a pre-alpha version to take a few screenshots for me. But Kastor's GFX blew up or something and Elpea had a few problems with the mod so I still haven't got them. (will come soon!)
So nobody but me will tell you anything about this mod.

But to keep the Christmas spirit alive and because all of you have been so nice this year, I'll show you one screenshot:

Note that a few things have changed since I took this screen roughly two months ago. At the time the AI didn't even work at all. Also note the crappy graphics from my όber-Geforce 2!

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-26-06 04:57 AM EDT (US)     14 / 942  
This looks very good
minds me of AOE2:AOK pityfully i can't install it anymore.
Hope it will prosper and become a great mod.

"And that my liege, is how we know that the earth is banana-shaped"
posted 12-26-06 07:31 AM EDT (US)     15 / 942  
I guess those will be the factions:
France,England,Holy Roman Empire,Spain,Turks and Egyptians
posted 12-26-06 09:14 AM EDT (US)     16 / 942  

Quote:

Siege Weapons
It's true that there are hardly any useful models for medieval sieges. In TWC there's a ram though I can use and probably the mantlet will be one aswell. But like Just a player said it'll mostly be specialized infantry that will knock down buildings. I was also think of using the petard from TWC but I haven't looked at that one yet. Cannons will be out of the questions, though.

Yeah, I forgot mentioning Petards!

Quote:

AoK-style-farming
Just like in AoK you'll need to place every single farm. I made these farms by taking a very small object and adding the crops texture from the mill beneath it, looks pretty good if you ask me. I shrunk the size of course otherwise the farms would be huge. At first I also planned that you could only place farms near a mill, but I couldn't get it to work so now you can place them anywhere you want. With testing I found out that you'd get food quite easily so it needs further balancing tests. I could make the food gathered from a farm limited too, but at the moment they've unlimited food supply.

So its more a AoM-style-farming then? Well, I've always found a bit lame having to come back and check my base every 5 secs because a farm expired. I'd rather have them as ulimited

Quote:

Navy
The navy system will remain as it is, unless I find a way to remove the cannons I'm afraid you're just going to have to shoot with them. I'm looking into a few options to bring back a 'forgotten' type of ship.

Demolition Ships?

Anyway... can you at least give us a Screenshot of the main menu? Or do you need a good GFX card for that too

ESO - Walker

posted 12-26-06 01:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 942  

Quoted from Just a player:

Anyway... can you at least give us a Screenshot of the main menu? Or do you need a good GFX card for that too

LOL

Navy is an interesting topic. I'd like to see how Fire Tiremes would be transcripted.

What about the Market? Will there be trading afloat and on the country?

Quoted from Argalius:

AoK-style-farming

Make them limited like in AoK, cause this makes sense. I think it'd be just a nice feature to place the fields near the mill, but it would be kinda superflously. In AoK it has two reasons why this kind of building was useful. First was the short way to bring the food into the mill or TC. You don't have this feature in AoE3, so it's superflously to think about anyway. Second thing was -the decisively one - the protection from enemies. Thats in AoE3 even the case, so I think this feature isnt really necessary.

What about the trebuchet?

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 12-26-2006 @ 01:02 PM).]

posted 12-26-06 05:56 PM EDT (US)     18 / 942  
It's a great mod, it feels much like AoK and has a very much faster paced than AoE3. I gave about 4 screenies today to Argy, more will come, just that I'm still sorta hung over from christmas .

posted 12-26-06 05:58 PM EDT (US)     19 / 942  
Oh and, main menu and loading screen look awesome .

posted 12-27-06 05:01 AM EDT (US)     20 / 942  
A little someting to keep you plebians satisfied.

Quote:

I think it'd be just a nice feature to place the fields near the mill, but it would be kinda superflously.

The reason I came up with it is to make the mill more useful, which it isn't really is at the moment. And I wanted to somehow limit your possibilities to just go and farm everywhere on the map.

Quote:

What about the trebuchet?

As long as I can't change/add models there isn't going to be a Trebuchet.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
posted 12-27-06 09:13 AM EDT (US)     21 / 942  
Wow! The main menu image rox! I think the "Exit" button is a little bit out of place, but besides that its awesome... and is it me or Elpea is getting owned by Henry the Navigator?

Quote:

The reason I came up with it is to make the mill more useful, which it isn't really is at the moment. And I wanted to somehow limit your possibilities to just go and farm everywhere on the map.

Can you make it so you need to have built a Mill to be able to create farms? Or have you already done so? I think that is the way it worked in AoK. Another way to make them even more usefull is to add more techs, that might even boost other things besides farms.

One way or another, it seems you'd need just one Mill for every game... But can't you make each Mill allow you to build a limited number of farms? I mean, like 10/Mill. So if you have 1 Mill, you can build up to 10 farms anywhere. If you built a second, 20...

ESO - Walker

[This message has been edited by Just a player (edited 12-27-2006 @ 09:14 AM).]

posted 12-27-06 10:06 AM EDT (US)     22 / 942  
Indeed awesome Main menu!

@Just a player - I agree, thats how it should work if it's intended to make the mill more useful.

Next thing:
What about the Market? Will there be trading afloat and/or on the country? Trading was very important during the Crusades.

The Fields look just like a grass filled square. =/

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 12-27-2006 @ 10:08 AM).]

posted 12-27-06 10:09 AM EDT (US)     23 / 942  

Quote:

They remember me AoE farms

ESO - Walker

posted 12-27-06 12:23 PM EDT (US)     24 / 942  
Argalius, for the farms why don't you use the usual sized texture but the alpha of your new ones? So they will still have the correct scale. Now the scale is 1:9 which looks a bit strange.
posted 12-27-06 01:01 PM EDT (US)     25 / 942  

Quote:

But can't you make each Mill allow you to build a limited number of farms? I mean, like 10/Mill. So if you have 1 Mill, you can build up to 10 farms anywhere. If you built a second, 20...

That might be a good idea, I'll look into it.

Quote:

What about the Market? Will there be trading afloat and/or on the country? Trading was very important during the Crusades.

It was very important indeed and mostly the Italian states profited significantly from it. However the way trading in AoE3 works is totally different from AoK. I might be able to create a similar kind of "railway" on sea, but I doubt it will add anything. So the system will remain the same and there won't be any water trade. Also the market fulfills the same way in AoE3 as in AoCrusades.

Quote:

Isn't that the point of a farm?! (except for the grass then)

Quote:

Argalius, for the farms why don't you use the usual sized texture but the alpha of your new ones? So they will still have the correct scale. Now the scale is 1:9 which looks a bit strange.

I'm not sure what you mean be the scale is 1:9. Why I lowered the texture size is rather obvious, because otherwise I'd hardly have any green and mostly dirt on my texture which doesn't quite look fancy.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age of Empires III: The Age of Crusades - ALPHA VERSION RELEASED!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames