Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Modding Council
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 01-14-07 04:25 PM EDT (US)   

The Modding Council is the organ responsible for improving the quality of its member's mods and spreading our art. It's a democratic space for discussion between our members and anyone interested about our mods, always with the intention to improve them. Our objectives:

• Avoid similarities between mods.
  • Increase the quality of all mods by sharing ideas.
  • Plan new modding competitions.
  • Evolve Aoe3 modding.
  • Help other members to achieve their goals.

The Modding Council is not responsible for:

• Help newbies with their mods. "Help" thread should be posted at the forum, as always.
  • Any mod that doesn't belong to our members.

These are the people allowed to vote and discuss changes about our mods. Only skilled modders are allowed to join, but anyone can enter our discussions.

• Lord Tahattus
  • Imperiosus, a.k.a. Matthew
  • Captain_Soanso, a.k.a. ProvostGuard
  • Irish_legend8
  • Bobbbo ob, a.k.a. The Architect
  • Kastor

All already discussed themes get a special link here.

• Current nations being modded
  • Future of priests
  • Modding Competition Rules
  • Ykkrosh's Proto trick

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 01-24-2007 @ 09:46 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 01-14-07 04:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 105  
    Discussing: Current nations being modded

According to the Mod Database, the current nations are:

• Malta, 1 time.
  • Poland, 1 time.
  • Ireland, 1 time.
  • Italy, 2 times.
  • Prussia, 1 time.
  • Austria, 1 time.
  • USA, 5 times. USA mods should be avoided, I think.
  • Switzerland, 1 time.
  • Denmark, 1 time.
  • Japan, 2 times.
  • Persia, 1 time.
  • Mexico, 2 times.
  • Canada, 1 time.
  • Brazil, 2 times.
  • Argentina, 1 time.
  • Paraguay, 1 time.
  • Tupi, 1 time.
  • Inca, 1 time.
  • Cherokee, 1 time.
  • China, 1 time.
  • Sweden, 2 times.

I don't believe that revolutionary nations should be added to the list. As you see, half of the nations are seen in two mods, and part of our job is to convince our members to not mod them again. Being able to choose between 2 mods for a single nation is not good, but acceptable. But 3, then maybe a 4th mod showing the americans is weird. My opinion is: why not calling future americans as "confederate states", with currently 0 mods? Or "Texas", also american, 0 mods! What do you think?

WOTTA WEBSITE!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 04-13-2007 @ 06:39 PM).]

• posted 01-14-07 04:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 105  
    Bravo, Tahattus!

I encourage everyone to try new things. We'll be here to listen or help.

Also known as ProvostGuard

Please feed the animals. Click here! (the link is correct this time!)
    posted 01-14-07 05:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 105  
    Also, You mentioned Mexico twice.
    posted 01-14-07 05:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 105  
    Thanks, already fixed. You, as leaders of your own mods, should post your ideas too. If possible, by following my design to keep the thread purty :P

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-14-07 05:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 105  
    wicked, I want to see Lord Tahattus in green
    posted 01-14-07 07:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 105  
    Just curious, why didn't you (Lord Tahattus): 1. Put me as a council member? I have a picture of a unit
    out.
    2. Mention my nations on the 'Current Nations Being Modded'
    list? Is it just because they aren't real world
    nations?

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
    |
    "I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
    "Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 01-14-07 07:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 105  
    Nice to see something like this happening. Hopefully something like this will pop up in the new modding department at the Guild.

While I'm posting, I might want to announce I've semi-successfully created new models in AOE3, meaning a Civil War coastal gun. My little secret...mwuahahahhaha.

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
    Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
    Designer's Mod Co-Creator
    Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

posted 01-14-07 07:43 PM EDT (US)     8 / 105  
    What do you mean by "semi-successfully"?

Did you do it or not?

Is it playable or not?

|
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!

[This message has been edited by ashwin13 (edited 01-14-2007 @ 07:43 PM).]

posted 01-14-07 07:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 105  
    Meaning I got the skeleton and animations through, just no textures yet. :s

Come join the Guild!

posted 01-14-07 07:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 105  
    But if you made the skeleton and animations, it should be playable. It would be successful because textures can be simply the tga file. Right?

And how did you make the custom skeleton and animation?

It would be quite helpful for my LOTR Mod. Mumaks, and wargs, and catapults, and siege towers...

|
    posted 01-14-07 08:02 PM EDT (US)     11 / 105  
    Shhsh, it's my little secret and we're spamming Tah.'s, thread, so shhsh.

Come join the Guild!

posted 01-14-07 08:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 105  
    @Basilis: Maybe one day, I need to lose my child spirit first;
    @ashwin13: I think the other members of the council agree that you should show us more things first. Your picture is a rodelero. And your nations aren't in the list, neither are Argalius, because they don't fit Aoe3 timeline. If the other members agree, you'll join us as soon as possible.
    @Custergrant: If this is not a lie, that's good. Pictures of the gun inside the game.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-14-07 08:50 PM EDT (US)     13 / 105  
    Discussing: Future of priests

We all know that priests had the conversion ability since AoE. Kastor and Tilanus Commodor call it "conversation ability", lol
    Anyone that played this game knows that the priest's "wololo" is AoE mark. ES removed this feature in AoE3, but always knew how funny it was. Both AoK and AOM shows "wololo" as taunts.
    My idea is: let's all add the conversion ability back. It's not an unique ability, both Matthew's NE and my mod include it. So, What do you think?

• "Wololo" sounds are easily downloadable.
  • It's possible to add that ability using TWC "convert guardian" codes.
  • One of my photoshop abilities is to make icons for Aoe3. I can help anyone interested in adding the conversion.
  • Aoe3 without expansion is not compatible with conversion.

How could it be unique?

• In my mod, priests only convert native units. It not only shows how strong the european religions were, but also the Jesuit missions to convert tribes.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
  • posted 01-14-07 08:59 PM EDT (US)     14 / 105  
    I think if any of us incorporate a conversion ability, it should only affect natives (like you said). I mean, can you imagine, say during the Civil War, all the South had to do was throw its clergy at the north and it could've increased its manpower?

However, the San Patricios during the Mexican War left the US Army to join the Mexicans out of religious reasons. I was hoping to incorporate the San Patricios into Revolutions, but never got around to it. Maybe this will help?

EDIT:
    And Custergrant, I'd really like to know how you did it. I want to put my 3ds Max to use!

[This message has been edited by Captain_Soanso (edited 01-14-2007 @ 09:00 PM).]

posted 01-14-07 09:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 105  

Quote:

And Custergrant, I'd really like to know how you did it. I want to put my 3ds Max to use!

I'll believe when he posts a picture. Inside the game, killing envoys. Envoys.

Quote:

Maybe this will help?

Any spanish/portuguese nation could use the jesuit argument. But how about the other europeans?

Well, USA had many, but many religions growing at the 13-colonies epoch. Priests at USA always had some influence, see today

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 00:54 AM EDT (US)     16 / 105  
    It's not clear wheter NE will have the conversion ability. It has much to do with balancing and it could be OP.

If we're going to include it, both Europeans and Native units will get lategame units with the conversion ability.

posted 01-15-07 11:31 AM EDT (US)     17 / 105  
    Just a idea for the conversion ability: Pheraps the modders could add a unit to convert mercenaries(Pheraps using gold)to represent the fact that many mercenaries fought for who paid more
    posted 01-15-07 11:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 105  
    Abadu does have good ideas.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 12:06 PM EDT (US)     19 / 105  
    i think the explorer should also have a conversion ability, but perhaps also being able to convert European nations.

a must is the missionary conversions, at least.

posted 01-15-07 12:59 PM EDT (US)     20 / 105  

Quote:

Just a idea for the conversion ability: Pheraps the modders could add a unit to convert mercenaries(Pheraps using gold)to represent the fact that many mercenaries fought for who paid more

on this idea what i think would be good is a mercenary camp that is on a random map like a native settlement where you can buy mercenaries for certain amounts of gold, It wouldnt be that hard to make or wandering mercenaries that wonder around and you can buy them (of course it would take random map making aswell).
    on the conversion idea this sounds good aswell

posted 01-15-07 01:03 PM EDT (US)     21 / 105  

Quote:

Nice to see something like this happening. Hopefully something like this will pop up in the new modding department at the Guild.
    While I'm posting, I might want to announce I've semi-successfully created new models in AOE3, meaning a Civil War coastal gun. My little secret...mwuahahahhaha.

you also said some months ago tht you had a bugged up way to resize units in the editor. Never heard anything after that....

On Conversions...

As far as programming it in it is very easy to do, but as far as Where to put it and Balance issues, etc. Abadu's Idea is a good one.

We could give the Explorer's and special units a "Bribe" ability that costs 200+ gold or similiar amount, and the enemy unit could be 'Bribed' into joining your military force. The gold cost keeps people from converting too many units and from converting weaker units.

posted 01-15-07 01:04 PM EDT (US)     22 / 105  
    Like converting mercenaries for gold, you should be able to convert soldiers for food to represent the deserters.

Villagers should not be convertable, though.

EDIT: More soldiers would have been lured by food and clothing rather than gold, in my opinion. Maybe a combination of food and gold?

But for mercenaries, make a special unit to bribe them, not the explorer. Or give the explorer two abilities, one for mercenaries and one for everyone else. Because mercenaries should cost only gold and all else should cost gold and food.

|

[This message has been edited by ashwin13 (edited 01-15-2007 @ 01:08 PM).]

posted 01-15-07 01:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 105  
    Is it possible to make some units more convertable than others? Mercenaries and weaker units could easily be bribed or influenced, but maybe not regulars? I haven't looked too much into the converting thing yet.

Priests could possibly be used to improve the fighting ability of the units around them, like boosting their morale. But then that creates the problem of a bunch of fat, robed men running around on the battlefield.

I'll brainstorm a bit. But I like where this discussion is going.

posted 01-15-07 02:22 PM EDT (US)     24 / 105  
    I think you guys might want to consider that the AI won't be able to 'bribe/convert' and in MP it'll be mostly impossible because of OoS etc. Meaning that only one party could convert would be highly OP. Especially in late games one could quite easily bribe a whole army, not that much fun if you ask me. Not the mention that when in a MP game (LAN) both teams have lots of gold both teams will start to convert and ... well it'd be weird to see that I guess.

A unit that can convert would be much better than the bribe thing because it doesn't go so fast (you can build in a timer between 2 conversions) and the process can be stopped by killing the unit. The costs would be just in the creation of the unit rather than how many units it converts.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    posted 01-15-07 02:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 105  
    or we could try to program it in like the Market. The more you bribe, the more it costs?

Quote:

(you can build in a timer between 2 conversions)

A timer should be done no matter which way it is done so an entire army can't be converted immediatly like you were saying. And which ever unit does the converting should have a really small build-limit so that way you can't convert an entire army at once that way either.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The Modding Council
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames