You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Quasi-Mod project: Play the SPC civs without disabling ESO: Warchief's ed.
posted 01-26-07 12:34 PM EDT (US)   
Hi all, I just downloaded lpmr's play the original campaign civs and still get online mod, and have been working on an improved & updated version for TWC.

Basically, I'm working on balancing the civs more like standard Skirmish civs, and also adding the Warchief's SPC civ and the Circle of Ossus(If I can find their Home City/civ data)

The disadvantages of this is that I can't change the Civs.xml and enable the first two campaign civs to get to the last age (or last 2 in the case of The Knights of St. John), enable new buildings for them, etc...

Civs:

Knights of St. John (Malta)

Basically, this civ plays sort of like the spanish, but they have early artillery (Hoop throwers) like the Ottomons do, and can build Mortars 1 age early. They have no other artillery, except what they ship from the HC.

Infantry is Crossbowmen, Pikemen and Rodeleros

Cavalry is Hussars and Lancers (basically they get both of SPain's UUs)

Artillery is Hoop Throwers and Mortars. Hoop Throwers are the only TRUELY unique unit that any of the SPC cities have (aside from the Colonial Militia for the Black Family estate, but as mentioned before, some serious modding is needed to get that civ to play as intended)

I have added pretty much all the standard ship (except for monitors) and settler, resource and livestock shipment cards to the NWTC

To the Knight's Garrison, I added all the Spanish Inf and Cav upgrade cards as well as Rodelero and Lancer cards. In addition, I gave them the Revolution deck 4 gatling guns card available at level 2 after selecting both 1 and 2 falc cards. I also gave them the Unicorne Mortars (since they cannot get to age IV) to help keep them viable in long games. I also added Highland and Holy Roman Merc lines to the Knight's arsenal as well (Including Merc Loyalty)

I Basically combined the standard Manufacuring plant and Cathedral cards for the Grand magistry. The difference is that, due to the fact that Malta can't build Platations or factories, I gave them the Capitalism card right off and they can get the Earth Bounty card at level 25. The Grand Magistry is very crowded, with cards taking up just about every available slot, but Malta now has pretty much all the Manufacturing Plant and Cathedral cards available to a standard civ.

Default Card Deck:

2 Settlers, Covered Wagon, Bandierantes, 300 Wood, 6 Rodeleros, 8 Rodeleros, 8 Crossbows, 1 Falconet, 2 Mortars, 4 Lancers, 6 Lancers, 4 Hoop Throwers, Pioneers, Capitalism, Fort

Note: I gave them Bandierantes at Age 1 and in their default card deck due to the fact that the campaign civs don't have Explorers, and I gave them the British Explorer Combat card due to the fact that since they can't reach age 4, they can't get the sniper attack, and the British explorer gives them that sword special attack.

Black's Mercenaries (Boston)

This civ plays like a combination of Germany and Britan... They get the German Unique cavalry, and a combination of British and German Infantry, as well as a number of other shared features.

The Infantry units they train are: Crossbowmen, Pikemen, Halberdiers, Musketeers, and Skirmishers

Cavalry for them are: Uhlans and War Wagons

Artillery for Black's Mercenaries are: Grenadiers, Falconets, Culverins, Mortars, Gatlig Guns (HC only) and Heavy Cannons (HC Only)

In addition, they get many german HC cards, and their mercs are similar (including German Merc combat card). I also gave them the Ship Factory and Robber Barons card, but since the TechTreex.xml doesn't have any kind of Heavy artillery generation enabled, you can't use the factory to crank out Hvy Arty, but all other standard factory functions still work. They cannot get to the Imperial age, but this is far less of an issue than not even baing able to make it to the Industrial age... Besides, Black's mercs CAN build plantations and arsenals, so they are at far less of a disadvantage compared to the Knights of St. John.

United States (St. Louis)

The US plays much like Britan, but they do not get any early light infantry (no x-bow, LB, etc)...

Infantry they train are: Pikemen, Musketeers, and Skirmishers, with the Musketeers being "Royal Guard" units

Cavalry are: Hussars and Dragoons, with Hussars being "Royal Guard" units

Artillery are: Gatling Guns (HC only) Grenadiers, Falconets, Culverins, Mortars, Rockets, and Heavy Cannon (Factory Only)

Note: the Imperial upgrade at the factory upgrades your rockets to Imperial, not the cannons, meaning that it's usually more advantageous to build rockets than to have the factory train HC, since you can pump out 5 rockets at a shot (albeit they are expensive and cost 6 pop each).

As soon as I finish testing the more experimental features, I'll upload the mod.

Further updates as projects get completed.

[This message has been edited by Hikaro Takayama (edited 02-07-2007 @ 05:44 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-26-07 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  

Quote:

and enable the first two campaign civs to get to the last age (or last 2 in the case of The Knights of St. John), enable new buildings for them, etc...

You might want to check out the age techs in the techtree for that. Although I doubt you could still get onto ESO2 with an edited techtree.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 01-26-07 06:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
If you do modify units you will not be able to play online though as argalius said

[This message has been edited by Kastor (edited 01-29-2007 @ 01:59 PM).]

posted 01-26-07 08:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Argalis: That's the point: I don't want to mod any of the files that ESO scans for being correct (Proto.xml, Maindata.bar, etc), yet I've figured out how to balance Malta, despite its handicaps.... Basically, LPMR created a modified COPY of the original HomecitySPCAct1.xml, which I modified even further. I just gave them some cards that, if they didn't have those serious disadvantages, would make them OP, and I've had fun playing my Malta HC in skirmish mode... Yeah, they can't build plantations or advance past Age III, but I've seen to it that they don't NEED to....

Basilis: This is indeed a project based on Kastor and lpmr's work.... Kastor created home city .xml files that referenced the SPC home cities, and lpmr made an attempt at a quick-fix balance, which, though overly simple, allowed me to see how to edit Home City card lists and further flesh out and balance them better... I'm also attempting to do the same with the XP SPC civ and the Circle of Ossus as well.

posted 01-29-07 01:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
cool can't wait to see it
posted 01-29-07 02:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
If I were you, I would rename "Malta" to "Valletta". Malta is the country, Valletta is the Home City

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 01-29-07 05:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  

Quote:

If I were you, I would rename "Malta" to "Valletta". Malta is the country, Valletta is the Home City

Well, since the civ is listed as "The Knights of St. John" I'll be leaving Malta as the HC and the civ name as it is now for THIS version....

Based on some rather UNPLEASANT discoveries over the weekend, I'm planning on doing a Full mod version (complete with assigning post-game flags and other fixes) after I get the Quasi-mod finished...

Here's the unpleasant discoveries I've made:

The Pirates and Circle don't have a HC (even though I could make them an all-new one with the stuff I've learned from modifying Malta and the other ones), and are essentially clones of the british civ (all the ageup techs are referenced for the BritishAge00, ColonializeBritish, etc), but (and this is the worst part) THE UNITS HAVE NO VOICES!!

In addition, the XPSPC Civ (Black Family Estate) cannot build houses or advance past age 1! I checked out some of the XPSPC campaign, and found out that all the techs beyond the very basic crap were activated via triggers

So basically, in a nutshell, to make the Circle of Ossus, Pirates, and Black Family Estate playable, I'll have to make a full mod version, which I'll do once I:

A) Finish this semi-mod with the 3 SPC civs that are acutally more or less playable

B) find out if I can just extract the required XML files and have them in the DATA folder and they'll automatically override the packed ones (it works in Half-Life, Civilization II, III & IV and just about every other game I modded, so I'm hoping it works here)... That way, all you have to do to be able to play on ESO is to rename the XML files to .BAK or somesuch so that the game won't recognize them.....

C) Find out where the XP Tech_Tree.xml file is located...

I'll post some updates to the current project later (almost got Black's mercs done).

posted 01-29-07 11:28 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Count with my flags, if you ever need them

Quote:

B) find out if I can just extract the required XML files and have them in the DATA folder and they'll automatically override the packed ones (it works in Half-Life, Civilization II, III & IV and just about every other game I modded, so I'm hoping it works here)... That way, all you have to do to be able to play on ESO is to rename the XML files to .BAK or somesuch so that the game won't recognize them.....

Yes, it overrides the file inside data.bar... You could do like me, create a new data folder, and when you want to play on ESO all you need is to rename the "backup" folder to "data" again.

Quote:

C) Find out where the XP Tech_Tree.xml file is located...

It's "techtreex.xml" and it's inside data2.bar

WOTTA WEBSITE!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 01-30-07 12:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Thanks for the Tips, Lord Tahattus!

I actually found the Techtreex.xml (and xml.xmb) files, and they were in the data folder and not the .bar file I guess I should have just looked there in the first place, LOL... But as I said, I'll get to that after I get this project done (modding the tech tree should be easier after I get some more practice with the HC files... I looked at it already and it seems prety straight-forward, but it is a HUGE file and is going to be a pain in the rump to keep all the entries straight until I get done with the modded info).

I do have the HC for the Black Family estate about 75% done (only the harbor left to do yet), the only slight problem with them is that even though they can reach age iv and build factories with shipped factory wagons, according to the techtreex.xml, they don't have the production of Heavy Cannons enabled, meaning that I'm going to have to go back and give them the German's Infinite HC card (at least for this version)....

posted 01-30-07 03:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
I know that the flag of The Circle of Ossus is included in AoE3, but I'm 150% sure they use a SPCAct3 HC in a non-moded version of the game, so their addition you'll have to begin from scrap.
posted 01-30-07 03:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
In the Civs.xml, The circle of Ossus is listed as having the following for its ageup techs and default Home City:

homecityBritixh.xml

Age00British
ColonializeBritish
FortressizeBritish
IndustrializeBritish
ImperializeBritish
PostIndustrialBritish
PostImperialBritish

I actually made a HC for them (by creating a copy of the homecityBritish.xml and calling it homecityCircle.xml), and creating a sp_The Ossuary_homecity.xml so that I could play them in-game, and here's what I found out:

They had all the same exact in-game buildings, units and techs as the british, only a different flag and names for their forts and ships. All their unique techs and units were activated via techs that can only be triggered by the Custom Scenario trigger that enables a tech...

In addition, their units (aside from the British Uniques and Mercenary types) HAD NO VOICE ACTING! As soon as I get done with this current project and I move on to my Full-mod project (including creating clones of personality files and/or using the SPC ai files with different pictures so that the computer will use them in-game), I'm going to try tracking down the tag that specifies the Voice acting data to be used for general use units (explorers, settlers, etc) and copy that tag into the appropriate spot in the edited civ files...

The Pirates are the exact same story... In the full mod version, which will include the Pirates, I'll have them have Buccaneers as their unique heavy inf, with a full upgrade path to the imperial, except instead of Guard Buccaneers and Imperial Buccaneers, they'll be called Notorious and Infamous Buccaneers.

The techtreex.xml file and civs.xml files don't seem to be too hard to edit or figure out what the different functions do, but the biggest challenge for the techtreex.xml is that the file is HUGE! I've already created a copy (which I'll edit), and I'll just have the original and the edited copy both open on different tabs in Notepad++ so that I can keep my cutting and pasting straight....

posted 02-08-07 12:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
Ok, this project is now done, and can be downloaded here
posted 02-15-07 06:28 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Does this Mod feature Pirates HC or is that coming up in an update?

Was thinking about playing as Pirates.

Fort Ligionier Key to the West in 1758-1766
French and Indian War and Pontiac's War
posted 02-15-07 07:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
Actually, I'm going to be making a FULL SPC civ mod that will enable the Black Family Estate, Fix the problems with Malta and Black's Mercs (i.e. enable all 5 ages for them), and enable the Pirates and Circle....

However that is going to be a long haul... As of right now, only the US is anywhere close to being completed (all I have to do is make a proper post-game flag/assign it a personality and finish enabling voice acting for all its units). I have got the basic groundwork laid out, though: All the civs start with a typical civ's starting units and crates, including explorers... I've even customized the explorers for the various civs to use SPC hero voice acting pertinent to that civ's hero (I.e. Malta's explorer sounds like Morgan Black, Black's Mercs explorer sounds like John Black, USA's exploerer sounds like George Washington, etc).

I'm going to end up making some new voice acting files for the Pirate UUs (half the pirate units use saloon units voice acting and the other half use British voice acting... I want to come up with some piratey stuff for the actual pirates/pirate ships). The Circle of Ossus uses British voice acting for its standard units.

I also have been making the US and Black's mercenaries use the voice acting that the Black Family Estate uses so that they actually sound American. As of right now, though, I'm working on my massive 3-year long Civ III mod project, and most likely won't be able to do any AoE III work until the end of next week at the earliest, though.

posted 02-16-07 02:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
I think that in the full mod it'd be better to make the SPC civs start with heroes, than with explorers.

The Knights of St. John: Morgan Black & St. Elmo(his Flagship)
John Black's Mercenaries:John Black (Another idea:Add a shipment of 20 Iroquis Tomahawks and add Kanyenke into it)
The United States:George Washington & Amelia Black
The Black Family Estate:Nathaniel Black
The Pirates:Lizzie & Paris Burning(her Flagship)
The Circle:Alain Magnan or Warwick or Beaumont

It's Just a simple change in the civs.xml.xmb file (and techtree.xml, if you dercide to send Kanyenke by Shipment).

posted 02-16-07 12:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
I already tried having the SPC civs start with heroes, only there was 1 MAJOR problem: NONE of the SPC hero units can build Town Centers....

That's right, only the Black Family Estate can get around that sticky problem due to the fact that it's a native civ, and their villagers can build Town Centers.

On top of that, the SPC heroes are OP compared to normal explorers, and even possibly WCs (although they do not have auras, they make very short work of treasure guardians, even without any upgrade cards sent)

posted 02-17-07 03:39 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  

Quote:

NONE of the SPC hero units can build Town Centers....

Well, why don't you just edit the proto.xml. You said you'll be doing a full mod which would add the three civs you abandonned in the first mod, but will disable ESO. If it disabled ESO anyway, editing proto would make no online/no-online difference. However, if you totally give up with heroes, you could edit the randomnamesx.xml to give the explorers historically accurate names.
posted 02-17-07 05:52 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
I'd rather not mess with the Proto.xml... The way the current mod is set up, all one has to do is just back up their data folder (the only other editing I'll be doing is with UI and sound stuff, but it is possible to mod the UI and sounds without disabling ESO) and switch between the two if they want to play on ESO or play the mod.... Not to mention that editing the Proto units is a royal pain in the arse (almost like modeling with POV-Ray).

Still, I HAVE editied the Randomnames.xml, and will be expanding on the Explorer list for the SPC civs a bit (the US will have George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Daniel Boone, David Crockett, David Bowie, Simon Kenton, etc)

posted 03-07-07 08:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
I had a little difficulty at first getting it to work. I removed a Mod that I had that gave me 131 HC, and then reinstalled the game. It worked fine after that. I did not upgrade to latest patch though. I don't know if this will work with 1.03 War Chiefs patch?

Downloaded and now playing as USA-St.Louis. Enjoy playing as USA with out a revolution. Once the factory and fort cards were available, having the option of a second fort or second factory when aging up was a good idea.

Is it possible to enable the St.Louis HC or to build a saloon and upgrade to a dance hall. If not possible, then perhaps substitute some of the mercenaries with outlaws & pistoleers etc.(treasure guardians with rifles/pistols and horses) like the Sioux get..for the European Mercs. Mercenaries like Fusiliers, Jaegers and Highlanders etc. look out of place with an American OB. "Renegade" European cards like some of the Natives get would be OK too.

Gatling Guns and Iron Clads are there too. No spies available at church, but can be shipped....could use one of those native scout cards for the TC. I think I saw one for Boston.

The native American allies was an excellent idea especially the one with TC+10 villagers. The Cree and Cherokee allies are appropriate.

I will give Boston a try, and maybe even Malta. Your future addition of Pirates will be cool I'm sure.

Will your update give the American Explorers a voice and also need an avatar picture for the leader.

posted 03-08-07 02:35 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
Make a pirate "tribal council".

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
posted 03-11-07 08:01 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
I have a suggestion, update the main post with the download link because at first I thought it was abandoned...
posted 03-13-07 10:16 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
I really hope to see this for the pirates too
How About "Port Royal" as Home City ?

Winter is coming.
posted 03-13-07 06:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
After playing as St.Louis (USA) for awhile, I have come up with a new suggestion:

Add the following two cards to be available for the HC.

1.2nd Factory card (Robber Barons)
2.2nd Fortress card (Crenelations)

If this is done, then change the politicians (make similar to British) for the upgrade instead of a selection between a fort or factory. Presently playing St.Louis does not permit building a second fortress anyway.

Other than that, having the saloon enabled as a build for USA would make for a terrific game.

If you could make the explorer available at the start it would be ever so helpful. Right now the USA is hampered by lack of an explorer and has to use a precious card to get one. It is also hampered by reduced quantity of resources available in the starting crates.

I mentioned before about having a leader avatar.

My other suggestion about modification of the existing Mercenaries selection is not that big of a deal if the saloon/dance hall are available. The USA was not that keen on hiring mercs..........except for privateers. They did use Indian allies though.

I would gladly exchange those pike men for any of the outlaw cowboy/pistolaro/commancherio/ type units

posted 03-15-07 09:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been really busy with other things (haven't played AoE III for about a month, now), however, I'll address a few questions and such:

Cherusci: I'm planning on changing the Age IV politicians for the USA in the full version of the mod (Basically I'll give them the German Marksman pol with the Skirms and the British Tycoon with the money), then I'll give the US Castrametation and Robber Barons in their usual places.

As for the pikes: The US DID employ pike units during the Revolution (not too many), so technically they're historically accurate, and useful for gameplay purposes.... As soon as I find out exactly what the XP Single Player campaign "Colonial Militia" are (i.e. are they a musketeer or skirm type unit), I might put them in as the early LI unit, and if I do that, then I'll probably get rid of the pikes, since Musketeers are also good against cav...

I'm also going to be enabling the Saloon for all the European civs that I'm modding here (US, Black's Mercs, Malta, Pirates, Circle, and possibly Black Family Estate, since they are essentially a cross between a Native civ and a Euro civ...)

Lord Tahattus: doing something like that would be very difficult, at best... I was planning on modding either the Dutch or the Black Family Estate HC file to get Tortuga...

Speaking of the pirates, they will be the most difficult for one reason: I want my pirate's voice acting to be piratey, and currently, I've been using a combination of the Saloon units and British, which, frankly, don't cut it... I'm planning on recording some of my own pirate stuff and using that for some units, and the Saloon units/Railroad worker sounds for others.... The good thing is, I can make their explorer sound like Captain Jack Sparrow.

Still, I have a lot of Civ III stuff to work on right now, but I'll eventually get back to this when I get done with that.

posted 03-15-07 09:26 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
Actually, making a pirate TC is pretty easy! Just choose the best base (iro or sioux?) then remove some things, which is the hardest part, then replace the politicians with pirates. Easy!

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
posted 03-19-07 11:32 AM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
I downloaded your mod that you released but it oesn't work. How do you install it?

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
posted 03-23-07 06:25 AM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
When playing Boston, I noticed that you can not create settler wagons at the mill after playing the German Farmers card.

The lone settler wagon (infinite) takes a very long time to create enough to make a difference.

On the positive side with Boston, you get additional Uhlans with the Heavy Canon card. Boston at least has 2 forts and 2 factories available. The Merc selection make them a tough cookie.

Note:For those who may not know, when you play the Church card with St.Louis, you also get 2 free surgeons.You can not build spies at the church.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Quasi-Mod project: Play the SPC civs without disabling ESO: Warchief's ed.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames