Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires III : Age of Fantasy
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 07-05-07 08:29 AM EDT (US)   

Age of Empires III : The Age of Fantasy is an upcoming mod made by Twisted Fiend.

Version : TWC

Coding and Lead Designer and stuff: Twisted_Fiend.
Texturing and art coding: Linuchadnezzar and peugeot407
RM scripting: Twisted_Fiend
AI scripting: Not Known Yet
Testing: peugeot407
Screenshot-taking: peugeot407

So far the cast, though it can expand.
Release date: Not known yet.

Not much is known, YET.
Even the name isn't sure. Until then, it's Age of Fantasy!
Soon more info and screenies.

The Civilizations are:

Men

Elves

Orcs

Undead

AoE3 will never support a decent LOTR mod. You cannot simply call elephants "oliphaunts". You cannot call a normal unit "hobbit". It won't work. So, I suggest you to create a fantasy mod, not based 100% on LOTR! - Tahattus, I believe

So we WON'T include ANY hobbit or oliphaunt(no mumakil either)!!

4 humanoid races: men, elves, orcs and undead.

random maps: very important to the mod. 4 at the beginning, and they would contain triggers (yes, from scenario. It was possible in AOM, should be possible for Aoe3). These triggers would control the spawn of wild animals, and most important: day and night cycle.

During the day (6 minutes), LOS is large, huntables and herdables spawn. Elves heal themselves during the day, but are weaker during the night.

During the night (6 minutes), all LOS is reduced. Aggressive animals (wolves, bears) spawn. Undead are not affected by LOS reduction, but get vulnerable during the day.

The Orcs get their HP increased when together, but are usually weak.

Men are balanced.

Units are more simple than you think. No "hashashaspsku knight", let's think easier:

> Barracks: swordsman, axeman, pikeman.
> Stables: scout, knight, horse archer.
> Archery: archer, skirmisher, gunner.
> Temple: trains magicians.
> Dock: Ships (Fishing Ship, Light Ship, Medium Ship, Heavy Ship.)
> ?????: Ram, Cannon, Petard

Every race gets TWO unique units. They are based on LOTR, WC, or any other fantasy games.

Instead of treasures there are huari strongholds who have a small army garrisoned inside. After you defeat it you get some gold/xp/whatever

Trees grow after some time; gold is replaced by some weird mineral they all love.

No natives, no trading posts, but "temples" instead. They produce gold. Player should fight for them.

Instead of age up, it's camp > village > town > city > large city

4 maps are: a cute forest, a desert, the mountains and the marsh.

Instead of explorers, there's a scout. He'll get to do the scouting, exploring, and stuff. You can buy a hero. These heroes will have some ablities.
It's not sure if he will get magic attacks: water, fire, thunder... or something more concrete, less fantasy, but after all it's Age of Fantasy!

Some ideas are modding no-nos. That's why RM TRIGGERS are fundamental!

So it's Middle-Earth-like.
We have got some more info, but nothing is sure, only the civs and the outline above^^^^^^^^.

Linus'(Linuchadnezzar) texturing so far : (last updated on 07.31.07)
Swordsman_____75.0%
Axeman__________25.0%
Pikeman_________75.0%
Light Ship______100.0%
Medium Ship____25.0%
Light Cavalry____25.0%
Heavy Cavalry____25.0%
The rest_________00.0%

Peugeot's texturing is still unknown. Well actually I kow what things he has finished but he hasn't sent them to me yet. BTW he has paused his work in the mod for a while, he's now working on K&B or KBM, or simply Knights and Barbarians.

But... we have got some Screenshots!

Men Light Ship (Light Ship) (any names for this one would be cool.)

Orc Black Sails Galley (Light Ship) (The Orc outpost on the background is pure fictional)

Corsairs of the Skull Galley, meaning it's a galley of the Corsairs of the Skull (Light Ship)

Men Swordsman, Pikeman and Axeman

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ
Modding for: Knights and Barbarians

EMPIRES RISE AND FALL BUT HEROES LIVE FOREVER

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 11-20-2007 @ 01:55 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-05-07 12:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 99  
You've managed to use Capital Letters and BB Code: that's the first step for making a sucessful mod

Though there's something with the banner. It's too big for my screen! You'd better reduce the size... also, I think it'd look a bit better if you painted it's back with the forum background color, instead of white, so there would only be the words.

I know that the mod is based on Tahattus' idea, but even some kind of small outline would be good. Like mentioning some of each civilization's future unit's, how their military and economy are planned to work, etc. And the screenshots are pretty good, though you might want to increase your graphic settings (even if your graphics card suck, do it for a few seconds, just to take the SS) and maybe place the camera a bit further. Placing it too close to the unit makes it almost possible to count the pixels!

Other than that, I wish you guys good luck.

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-05-07 01:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 99  
Hey, this is getting interesting. But a few comments on skins:

1) The undead man has no "visible" clothing. Although face is pretty nice, his clothes are a mess!

2) The color you chose for the orc is WEIRD. Look at Ashwin's thread for a big image of an orc and try to copy its colors.

3) The elf skin is good, but he's too "poor" for an elf. They usually wear more elegant/armored clothes. no, i don't have elves in my backyard

4) You should give the men a "medieval" swordman, the doppelsoldner looks too modern, consider it. And give him a cool shield

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 07-05-2007 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 07-05-07 01:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 99  
yes you do tahattus, i've seen you have tea parties with them and captain underpants.

on topic, nice so far. hopefully it turns out good.
I like the clothes for the undead, for it makes him look undead. but i suggest you turn up your graphics for the SS.

Lolocausts are fun.
posted 07-05-07 01:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 99  
@walker: Hehe I got an 1200?x800? monitor so I didn't think about that.
I won't post outlines for now. In a week or so there will be, but I don't know if twisted wants to post it, and after all, it's HIS mod.

@Lord_Tahattus:
1. , 3. these aren't the definite units, I'm going to change them
2. I couldn't find any screen of orc at ashwin13's (Arvedui's) thread.
4. Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered boneguard age1 for human swordsman but I couldn't get a shield on him. Do you have any advice for this?

@smashnbash: I didn't know it was possible to turn the graphs more up then the current.

All of this is only TEMP!
It can change any moment!

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-05-2007 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 07-05-07 02:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 99  
Just a thought... maybe take the screenshots from a "normal" distance. I don't spend the game zoomed in on units so close I can see the pixels. I doubt others do as well.
posted 07-05-07 04:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 99  
Personally, I love the screenshot of the undead swordsman. For the man, you might want to change the model because of that over sized hat. I know, though, that most models have the hats built in, so it might be hard, but see what you can do for that. For a helmet, incorporate it into the texture of the face. The elven swordsman needs to look better than the man, currently the man looks better. The orc looks.... weird. I suggest changing it completely.

The orc is in my thread somewhere. You'll have to go back a couple of pages to find it though.

And before I forget, I wish you good luck on your mod!!

P.S. Change that banner.

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
|
"I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
"Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
posted 07-05-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 99  
Thanks everybody.
Arvedui, I did choose to go for the weird green orc, for now.
It would be nice however, if you would point the orc screenie out. Geez 42 pages couldn't find any orc. could you post the url or img?
Remember everyone, this is NOT my mod. It's twisted_fiend's, and I only do the texturing, and eventually some testing.
Twisted is away a few days, and therefore I made the topic.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-05-2007 @ 05:34 PM).]

posted 07-05-07 07:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 99  
The banner is MUCH better now

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-06-07 02:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 99  
I have posted a small outline quoted from the 'Looking for some1 who can texture OK will give more info later' thread.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

posted 07-06-07 03:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 99  
ok Twisted feind my email is (edit: removed email) add me on msn and then well talk about texturing

[This message has been edited by gibbo1993 (edited 07-09-2007 @ 03:02 AM).]

posted 07-06-07 04:45 AM EDT (US)     11 / 99  
Other stuff (don't know what exactly maybe testing): Not known yet.
You mean you need a tester? I'd like to do that, once RCM is released. And I'm also free for making screenies, if you'd also need someone for that...

peugeot407

PS: I think you'll also need a RM'er and an AI'er. I'm not one of those, but what is such a mod without RM's and a working AI?

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 07-06-2007 @ 04:48 AM).]

posted 07-06-07 07:21 AM EDT (US)     12 / 99  
We will first finish the textures and main coding, and then we'll see who's gonna do what. Thanks for offering help.
@gibbo: He's away for a few days, expect him in a week or less to add you to msn.

I'm keeping this thread running for now.
PS: New screenie!
PPS: Does anyone know how to add a shield to a guy without a shield? Plz I need it for LOTS of units.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-06-2007 @ 07:26 AM).]

posted 07-06-07 10:41 AM EDT (US)     13 / 99  
Ain´t there someþing ðat´s missin´on ðese soldiers?
What if I say; Nation Colors? Red, Blue, green?

May I also say ðat I´m on Iceland now, and my friend here, has BFME2, and the Mumakils (Oliphaunts) there ain´t extremely big... so we could call a big elefant for an oliphaunt. Either, we could call the aoe3 ships for fishing boats too!

PS: Now I´ve seen it myself! The Gollum-ring idea of mine was also in that game.

PPS. Good luck with your mod :-)

ID: Northern_Lord (at agecommunity)

[This message has been edited by Northern Marvin (edited 07-06-2007 @ 10:56 AM).]

posted 07-06-07 11:38 AM EDT (US)     14 / 99  
There ARE nation colors. The elves are a green player, the undead are grey, the orcs brown and the human is white. In these colors they look the best.
and the Mumakils (Oliphaunts) there ain´t extremely big... so we could call a big elefant for an oliphaunt.
There are a few things:
1. Elephants... we're not waiting for TAD!
2. We're not planning on copying Tolkien... except for the orcs and elves but yeah any fantasy game with self-respect has orcs and elves in it so...
3. I have got LotR : BfME 2 : RotWK and the mumakils in BfME ARE extremely big. They are like eight troll-lengths high!

but thanks for the suggestion.
PS : the ring of gollum in BfME was your idea? You told EAgames to use it in BfME?

Anyway, thanks.

BTW I could really need some help from a really advanced modder like Argalius or Tahattus now for how to add shields to shieldless units. Plz?

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-06-2007 @ 11:41 AM).]

posted 07-06-07 02:20 PM EDT (US)     15 / 99  
Sorry about the nation colors.

Yes, you´re right about the oliphaunts. I checked and they ARE infact very big, but I suppose it´s just that the camera pitch at BFME2 is so high up, that they look smaller.
But it´s also possible to like ES did with ships; Take a donkey and call it an elefant; take an elefant and call it Oliphaunt.

ID: Northern_Lord (at agecommunity)
posted 07-06-07 02:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 99  
Indeed, it would be possible...
...but we're gonna make it a bit original. There's a REALLY REALLY REALLY SMALL chance of adding mumakil.
Or else you should check out the LotR mod of ashwin13 Arvedui.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-06-2007 @ 03:04 PM).]

posted 07-06-07 05:21 PM EDT (US)     17 / 99  
I highly suggest you to not include the oliphaunt. This is not LOTR. This is Age of Fantasy, right?

WOTTA WEBSITE!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 07-06-07 08:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 99  
True, don't you know that AoF is unolihpanty?
posted 07-07-07 01:14 AM EDT (US)     19 / 99  
unolihpanty

Tahattus, can you help me out? Is it possible to give a unit without a shield, a shield? If possible, how?
I know I asked this 4 times now but nobody seems to have an answer/read it.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

posted 07-07-07 01:42 AM EDT (US)     20 / 99  
Open Jaguar Warrior's anim file to see how shields are attached. Just copy and paste to your unit's anim file.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
posted 07-07-07 02:20 AM EDT (US)     21 / 99  
But will the shield have a texture then?
EDIT: I couldn't get it to work.<animfile>
<definebone>bip01 Prop1</definebone>
<definebone>bone_sword</definebone>
<definebone>bone_shield</definebone>
<definebone>bone_hat</definebone>
<attachment>
sword
<include>units\infantry\boneguard\boneguard_sword.xml</include>
</attachment>
<attachment>
torch
<include>effects\projectiles\torch.xml</include>
</attachment>
<attachment>
hats
<include>units\infantry\pikeman\pikeman_hats.xml</include>
</attachment>
<attachment>
shield
<component>
shield
<assetreference type="GrannyModel">
<file>units\natives\aztec\jaguar_knight\attachment_jaguar_shield</file>
</assetreference>
</component>
<anim>
Idle
<component>shield</component>
</anim>
</attachment>
and more but this is what it's all about with shields, right?
Does anyone see anything wrong or missing (except the rest of the xml file)?

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-07-2007 @ 02:40 AM).]

posted 07-07-07 08:21 AM EDT (US)     22 / 99  
At a first look the code looks fine. But know that you'll also have to attach an attachment. It's usually below the path to the model. The codes are something like <attach id="shield" ...> something like that.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 07-07-07 09:33 AM EDT (US)     23 / 99  
Got it.
(looking in the animfile of swiss pikeman)<attach a="shield" frombone="bone_shield" tobone="L FOREARM" syncanims="0"/>I just copy it into the animfiles right under the decal tags, I guess, I hope.
Oh yes and they have got the same textures as the swiss_pikeman!

Oh thanks Argalius! I owe you a LOT!
*Prays to Argalius*

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

[This message has been edited by Linuchadnezzar (edited 07-07-2007 @ 12:08 PM).]

posted 07-07-07 04:07 PM EDT (US)     24 / 99  
I will post more screens tomorrow( it's 22:10 here)
Don't comment these anymore please. Almost all of them are outdated.

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ

posted 07-08-07 04:27 AM EDT (US)     25 / 99  
Take my advice, when screenshots are really outdated, remove them.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age of Empires III : Age of Fantasy
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames