Leader: ProvostGuard
Coder: ProvostGuard
Artist: ProvostGuard, General_II, alvaro_qc
Scripter: NA
Researcher: Abadu, ProvostGuard, Benjamin Breeg

American Mortar Team

American Infantry Regiment

American Politicians

If you want to see/learn more, head over to our forums here. We are transferring to a new forum.

[This message has been edited by Captain_Soanso (edited 01-20-2008 @ 10:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-10-07 07:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 265  
Finally

Putting the "sensual" back in "nonconsensual" since 2006.
posted 07-10-07 07:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 265  
And where is Argentina..
posted 07-10-07 07:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 265  
In the Architect's original version, there was an Argentina. But I guess we had some problems with the Triple Alliance mod, so we compromised and only have Brazil.

Also known as ProvostGuard

Please feed the animals. Click here! (the link is correct this time!)
posted 07-10-07 07:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 265  
It is our hope that the mod will eventually have eleven unique and playable nations. They are listed below.
So it's not decided yet?

You are aware of having a lot of overlapping material with other mods, aren't you? It seems you don't care, I'd like to know why?

NE is focusing on Europe and a lot of other parts in the world
WOTTA is focusing on south-america.

So, well - you need a lot of good and unique gameplay elements to keep the attention(!). I wondered which ones that could/will be, cause other mods already used a lot of that stuff. Reusing that stuff won't be a wise decision. Mabye you can do it, atm I doubt it, but I'm always open to conviction.

You especially pointed on history accuracy, well - which serious hadn't done that yet? How much should yours be better? And .. will the accuracy still offer a great gameplay? Will it be fun? - a lot of interesting questions, keep on answering guys! Good Luck. =)

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 07-10-2007 @ 08:16 PM).]

posted 07-10-07 08:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 265  
Historical accuracy, meaning we've bought books, gone to museums, and tried to use only credible sources.

The way the game plays right now, it's a lot different than Age of Empires or any mods I've tried out. You get money through taxes (works kind of like the bank...). Units do not take up population, but do have an upkeep and require steady food or payment. You begin the game with a town and something along the lines of militia, not just a town center.

In order for units to be effective, they have to be in formation. Most nations have line formations, as seen here in an older screenshot of the mod.

Units have more HP and less attack than normal and automatically heal. Retreating might actually be a good idea.

We had already established a long time ago that politicians would be important. For example, politicians will make certain units, techs, and bonuses available. Some can great what Abadu calls a "mini Revolution"; the Abolitionist makes all slaves become contraband soldiers.

Cavalry can dismount. There are realistic tactical advantages and disadvantages to that.

No country shares units. Even if they have the same name, the units will have different stats, abilities, and appearances.

Gameplay is fairly slow-paced and requires micromanagement.

And more. I don't remember.

See, I've played NE and taken a look at WOTTA and they still feel like Age of Empires III, a game I did not really like. No offense intended, while it had new units and new countries, the gameplay still felt the same.

I said "hope" and "eventually" because, while they are decided, I don't know when I'm ever going to finish it.

[This message has been edited by Captain_Soanso (edited 07-10-2007 @ 08:13 PM).]

posted 07-10-07 08:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 265  
A lot of time and money has gone into research of uniforms and weapons.
Does that count the internet bill? :P

I liked the list of nations, but what is "Yucatán" ? You mean "Cuauhtemoc" ? And why China? It's coming with the y-pack.

I loved the market better than NE's, but i don't like the politicians. And flags.
And where is Argentina..
It's here, Eicho >: (
NE is focusing on Europe and a lot of other parts in the world
A-hem, before I get flamed, I admit that I changed the flags of France, Germany, Spain and such. But they won't have new european units, so no conflict with NE.
No country shares units. Even if they have the same name, the units will have different stats, abilities, and appearances.
Let me see. Portugal has 5 barracks units (xbow, pike, halb, musk, cass), plus 2 stable (hus, drag), plus 6 art (gren, falc, culv, mortar, hc, petard). Xbow has 2 skins, pike has 2, halb has 2, musk has 3, cass has 3, huss has 3, drag has 2, gren has 3. I'm not counting the unit upgrades mod. So, I can count at least 25 skins for the portuguese.

You said that each country will get completely different units, in other words, around 30 skins. You mean you're going to make 330 skins?
See, I've played NE and taken a look at WOTTA and they still feel like Age of Empires III, a game I did not really like. No offense intended, while it had new units and new countries, the gameplay still felt the same.
WOTTA is the South American NE's. It'll have an expansion-pack look. You'll get a new faction (latin americans) just like you got the "natives" and "asians".

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 07-10-07 08:41 PM EDT (US)     7 / 265  
Why don't you like the portraits and the flags?

I don't think any of you guys understand what I'm getting at.

This mod is not going to be anything like the original Age of Empires III. There is no crossbowman. No pikeman.

When it comes to doing textures, I can do them pretty fast. I spend more time actually getting them into the game than I do making them.

China? Given what I've seen from Ensemble and Big Huge, I highly doubt the China in there will be anywhere close to what China was really like. I bet they'll try to appeal to Chinese government, which means a lot of distortion of fact and reality. I'm Chinese, by the way.

I don't want this mod to play like an expansion pack, or even a mod! If I could compare it to anything, it might be a cross between Cossacks and Take Command.

No Aztecs! I was pissed at Ensemble for including the Aztecs. So they'll be replaced by the Republic of Yucatan, which did exist.

posted 07-10-07 08:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 265  
Okey dokey, sounds good!
The way the game plays right now, it's a lot different than Age of Empires or any mods I've tried out. You get money through taxes (works kind of like the bank...). Units do not take up population, but do have an upkeep and require steady food or payment. You begin the game with a town and something along the lines of militia, not just a town center.
That's an interesting part!
Explain. ^^
true, true - well, I like AoE3, but your ideas even sound interesting.

:
A-hem, before I get flamed, I admit that I changed the flags of France, Germany, Spain and such. But they won't have new european units, so no conflict with NE.
w00t? There's nothing special about flags. Well, as you can see my dear (^^), he also included nations the NE mod already includes. That's what I meant.

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 07-10-2007 @ 10:40 PM).]

posted 07-10-07 09:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 265  
In Age of Empires, almost every country has a musketeer, a hussar, skirmisher, etc.

In Revolutions, it's slightly different. Take the Russians for example. They get a infantry unit armed with a musket (historically accurate uniforms, of course). While he's a lot cheaper than other nations' infantry, he has a lot lower ranged attack (the Russian Army didn't do much firearm training; it was said veterans of 20 years had never fired their muskets). Two of the formations that are available to this solider are the attack column and company column. The company column is similar to a line formation, but it's not as effective for the Russians. The attack column is like a mob formation, for the purpose of charging the enemy. These were real formations employed by the Russian Army.

Of course, the American army isn't going to use the same tactics as the Russian Army. Not only does the American Regular look different, it uses different tactics and weaponry. While American units are available in large numbers (only in later ages), the Russians still have more. However, the Americans have more effective industry and technology. Even a regiment of militia, short on health/morale, could do considerable damage because they can outshoot the Russian infantry with rifles.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention where upkeep comes into play. Even the cheapest American unit requires more upkeep than the standard Russian infantryman.

Mexico has a very low taxation rate, but most of it's units only require food as an upkeep. Britain and France, however, are pretty expensive.

[This message has been edited by Captain_Soanso (edited 07-10-2007 @ 09:19 PM).]

posted 07-10-07 09:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 265  
My point wasn't the units, but the huge amount of textures. But i'm happy to see that Revolutions found its own way.
Why 1870? War of Paraguay? And why Yucatan?

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 07-10-07 09:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 265  
what is "Yucatán" ?
It's a mexican state , I prefer them to a revolution leader than a complete civlization, they were an autonome country just few time, the rest of the time, a part of mexico.
posted 07-10-07 09:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 265  
1870 might get me a bit of the Franco-Prussian War.

Yucatan... well, I could replace them with someone else. I planned on them being the last to be implemented.

posted 07-11-07 02:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 265  
Wow, Looks good! Nice texturing, beautiful HC's, nice thread!
GL with your mod!

PS: You said the Aztecs are gonna be sacrificed for the Republic of Yucatán, so the *whateveryouliketocallit* is gonna be for TWC?

ḼĮЙЦḈԊДĐ₦ḜẔŽДЯ
Modding for: Knights and Barbarians

EMPIRES RISE AND FALL BUT HEROES LIVE FOREVER
posted 07-11-07 04:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 265  
I've been watching this mod with high interset and what i hear now got me even more interested. I think this will become a great mod

"And that my liege, is how we know that the earth is banana-shaped"
posted 07-11-07 09:09 AM EDT (US)     15 / 265  
Looks awesome.

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
posted 07-11-07 10:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 265  
Explain that first sentence. What do you mean with 'No country shares units' ? Can't connect these both sentences, sorry.
I forgot to mention where upkeep comes into play. Even the cheapest American unit requires more upkeep than the standard Russian infantryman.
Haven't you said that no unit takes pop? So what does upkeep mean concerning the game?

Thanks for answering.

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-11-07 10:55 AM EDT (US)     17 / 265  
In AoE3, most of the European nations can build musketeers, hussars, etc. In Revolutions, and this most simple way I can put it, every nation's 'musketeer' is an individual proto unit. I hope that made sense.

There is no population limit. However, I mentioned before that units have to be paid and have to eat. The American Militia is relatively cheap but still has a higher salary and maintenance cost than the average Russian soldier.

Your units will slowly drain your resources.

Yes, this mod will be for TWC. I have no desire to make it for Dynasties or Vanilla.

[This message has been edited by Captain_Soanso (edited 07-11-2007 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 07-11-07 03:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 265  
Good to see the mod is advancing

I've found the idea of completely unique armies quite interesting, however also quite complicated. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, because I hope it does, but working on 11 Civs with such thing in mind might just be too much.
There is no population limit. However, I mentioned before that units have to be paid and have to eat. The American Militia is relatively cheap but still has a higher salary and maintenance cost than the average Russian soldier.

Your units will slowly drain your resources.
Nice system, though I'm a bit confused. Would something happen if your resources reach 0, or the purpose of the system is to just drain your reasources to a point where you can't expand your army anymore (afford new units)?

Also, can you tell us more about the Taxation system?

And, finally, good luck!

ESO - Walker

>> Napoleonic Era --> Visit their Homepage!
"Holy *****" > Thunder (Ensemble Studios)

Retired from AoE3. But I do play AoK HD in Steam now and then.
posted 07-11-07 03:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 265  
Well, that's the only reason I posted; I need some help.

You got it. When your resources reach 0, you can't make any more units.

As of right now, only the town center and villagers generate "taxes", or money.

I originally had the idea of replacing wood with ammunition, but I probably won't use that idea.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I do have a lot done, but it's always a pain in the rear end to get everything into the game.

posted 07-11-07 06:47 PM EDT (US)     20 / 265  
Wouldn't the Cherokee be too similar in terms of gameplay compared to the Iroquois? I think that was one of the main reasons why Ensemble Studios didn't want to include the Cherokee compared to the Iroquois because their lifestyles and customs were extremely similar.

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
posted 07-11-07 06:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 265  
You may be right, but the Cherokee gives me a lot more to work with in terms of history. Also, I didn't intend to have the Cherokee play like any of the current native nations.

The bottom three flags are least on my priorities.

posted 07-12-07 07:01 AM EDT (US)     22 / 265  
In Cossacks you also had this taxation system. If you're out of coal, your ships and cannons won't fire. If you're out of food/gold, your military units will desert. That means they become that what AoE calls 'Gaia'. Those units (also ships and cannons!) attack then your own units. That's an uprising or well, to a bigger extent a revolution. IMO that would be also a cool effect or probably even a better one than the currently one.

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-12-07 10:54 AM EDT (US)     23 / 265  
That is a very good idea, but I'm not sure I could make it work.

What I would really like to implement is morale, which would add an entirely new dimension to gameplay. It would work kind of like morale in Dawn of War, where every unit has morale points and every weapon does morale damage. My idea is when morale is low enough, you'd lose control of your troops and they'd immediately start retreating to the nearest town center . But I don't think this could be implemented in the AoE engine.

Please, I'm interested in your ideas!

posted 07-12-07 02:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 265  
I don't think it's really necessary to implement a new resource for that. I just don't know, if converting in this large extent would be possible inside a match. It remembers me more on possibilities of triggers in scenarios.

» Modding is art! «
posted 07-12-07 06:27 PM EDT (US)     25 / 265  
Looks sweet!

"Faith is beliving in something you know doesn't exist"-Mark Twain 98% of the internet population has a myspace if you are part of the two percent that can resist this stupid fad copy and paste this onto your signature, besides facebook just is the best period.
Eso1=Bronco29
Eso2=Bronco28
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 11  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Age of Empires III: Revolutions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames