Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Player colour at units
posted 03-09-09 11:06 AM EDT (US)   
I think it's a noob question... but I made a texture and the unit appears in the editor but now I don't know how to create the player colour in the texture.

Sorry if that's in the modding tutorials but I found nothing
Replies:
posted 03-09-09 11:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
I'm no gfx expert - but afaik the player color is inserted in tga's alpha channel.
Else wait for the gfx artists for reply.
Certainly you could make own experiments: learning by doing
posted 03-09-09 11:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
I tried to delete the colour there but it didn't work -.-
posted 03-09-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
No clue what went wrong at yours. In all cases you must regard some specialities in tga dimensions and file notation ... read here
posted 03-09-09 02:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
I read that reply 5 times I think. My problem is that I drawed a texture of a unit and then I stopped the player colour. I tried to delete the colour there but then the unit was at theese places only black. I changed the texture of a longbow there you needn't to change the (n,n,n,n).tga code (I think ).

EDIT: Sorry, I hate Gimp so I used Paint.NET because I used it for other things,too. But that was the problem. I delete the textures at theese places with gimp and now it works... -.-

[This message has been edited by Sir_Hans (edited 03-09-2009 @ 02:58 PM).]

posted 03-09-09 03:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
You need to create a 'separate texture inside the texture'. Actually it's another layer, the Alpha channel. I don't know if Paint.NET supports layering. GIMP and PS does. You don't need to change the textur itself, only the channel. Black parts playercolour, white parts normal colour texture. That's it.

So you're gonna check now if you can add a new channel besides RGB, Red, Green, Blue, the next one would be the Alpha Layer and you need a tga-formate of that supports saving files with alpha layers.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 03-09-09 03:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
Can you explain the 'separate texture inside the texture' clearlier? I use Gimp now because I don't want bugs like this aghain...
The player colour appears now but I only delete the texture there and maybe I can make it better with this tactic...
posted 03-09-09 05:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
Well, just imagine there are two textures in one file.

If the playercolour appears, you already seem to know where to edit the alpha layer, is that correct? Or is that simply the playercolour of your base unit?

I don't use GIMP, but PS. However, I think I figured it out: My version is german, so I don't know how all the menues are called in your version. I guess you know how to work with layers in the normal texture. To create an alpha layer you need to open the widget "Dialogues" (should be the third menu from the right) -> "Channels", a window opens and you're gonna see the three main channels Red, Green, Blue. At the bottom of the window is a button which says "Create new channel", do it, this is the alpha layer. I noticed GIMP always shows normal texture and alpha layer at the same time. Maybe you're gonna have to hide the normal colour layers to work with the alpha channel.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 03-10-09 11:00 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
I created a new channel but what should I do with that channel? And maybe you can write the german word in brackets because I have the german version of GIMP
posted 03-10-09 11:08 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Sir_Hans, you're too itchy. Make yourself familiar with the program to learn its features. Also you shouldn't forget the F1 (Help) - GIMP has a good help.
Secondary you could load an already existing tga with pl. colors and examine the alpha channel.
posted 03-20-09 08:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
hi to all, i have the same problem I do not know how to do those strange images the bump map and the color (i do not know if it is the same) XD

sir_hans you've solved your problem maybe you can help me i have GIMP

[This message has been edited by pluks (edited 03-20-2009 @ 08:10 PM).]

posted 03-21-09 08:23 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
Sry I don't know how to make Bump files, either. But I think I don't need it now so I have time... xD
posted 03-27-09 06:26 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
how to remove these stains? is an uhlan age03

the file
http://rapidshare.com/files/214325109/Linecavalry_rider._0_1_8_5_.tga.html
posted 04-09-09 04:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
Sorry for asking again, but I created 2 units which worked well but at the next unit I folowed Tilanus Commodor's instructions. My problem is now that when I save it as TGA a window comes and it says that TGA doesn't support channels. I clicked OK and when I opened the file again I had only the black/whit screen (black for playercolour white for other stuff). What should I do? I tried c 20 different things but nothing works so I decided to ask again -.-.

PS: I read
you need a tga-formate of that supports saving files with alpha layers.
but where are other tga files? Or what do you mean?
posted 04-10-09 01:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Read the GIMP help, before you fiddle around and wonder why it doesn't work.
Most probably you have confused layers and channels.
Take a converted ddt -> tga with player colors (alpha channel) and see the difference.
To add an alpha channel you mustn't create a new layer (this isn't supported by default tga), but a new (transparency) channel.
In german GIMP version it is menu : "Ebene -> Transparenz -> Alphakanal hinzufügen".
wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil
posted 04-10-09 04:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
lol it works now thanks xD
I thought I have to use channels (kanäle) but now with your instuction everything works
Sorry I didn't download the GIMP help so I read it at the website but I read at the channels not at the right instruction -.-
Ich kann lesen, aber hab an der falschen Stelle gelesen.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Player colour at units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames