Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Badass revolution code
posted 04-03-10 00:18 AM EDT (US)   
Yesss. I hate it.

I know I can't add new Revo politicians, but modify the existing ones. Still, the Revolution will ALWAYS replace Settlers with the Colonial Militia, it doesnt care about my transform effects, like this one:
<Effect type="TransformUnit" fromprotoid="Outpost" toprotoid="Lookout"/>

That's just not working, but I can activate techs and do all the other fancy stuff. Anyone with more experience concerning this?

I guess when I want to change that I'd have to mod the executable, right?

Or does anyone have another cool idea how to make this possible?

Also, where can I change the revo HCs? Stupid question I bet.

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
Replies:
posted 04-03-10 10:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Still, the Revolution will ALWAYS replace Settlers with the Colonial Militia, it doesnt care about my transform effects, like this one:

<Effect type="TransformUnit" fromprotoid="Outpost" toprotoid="Lookout"/>

That's just not working, but I can activate techs and do all the other fancy stuff. Anyone with more experience concerning this?

I guess when I want to change that I'd have to mod the executable, right?]
Thats strange...there are cards and stuff that let you transform one unit type into another, so I don't see why your code won't work. Try replacing /> in the end of your tag with></effect> and see what happens

For example if we look at the spanish card that changes pikemen into rodeleros:

<Tech name ='HCXPTercioTactics' type ='Normal'>
<DBID>3442</DBID>
<DisplayNameID>47029</DisplayNameID>
<Cost resourcetype ='Ships'>1.0000</Cost>
<ResearchPoints>40.0000</ResearchPoints>
<Status>UNOBTAINABLE</Status>
<Icon>ui\techs\native\Tercio_Tactics</Icon>
<RolloverTextID>47028</RolloverTextID>
<Flag>HomeCity</Flag>
<Effects>
<Effect type ='TextOutput'>47031</Effect>
<Effect type ='TransformUnit' toprotoid ='Rodelero' fromprotoid ='Pikeman'></Effect>
</Effects>
</Tech>

Looks like the same thing you are doing.
What tech are you using to transform Outposts into "Lookouts"?

EDIT: are you sure the unit you are trying to convert outposts into is actually called "Lookout" in the proto?
If you want to edit cards etc., edit the homecityRevolution.xml file found in the data folder. However I've had some trouble getting this to actually work (I can get it to work easily for other HC files, but not this one for some reason). If you want to change how the home city looks like, this can be found in the art folder somewhere I guess (never actually done that so idk).

Check out my YouTube channel for AoEO videos!
ESO2: No_nickname | AoEO: NoNick331
"anything less than 40 hours is nub men, me i go for like 76 hours the best as i can get to imp in 14 mins then go on holiday for 2 days then come back and make some mil or w/e" - bloodoats

[This message has been edited by No_nickname (edited 04-03-2010 @ 10:24 AM).]

posted 04-03-10 11:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
I hate it also - but since TWC (even more with TAD) stuff is executed in the game exe itself.

Most probably the tag <Effect type ='InitiateRevolution'> does the settler -> militia conversion.

However it should work if you execute own stuff after this tag.
posted 04-03-10 02:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
I know I can't add new Revo politicians
Yes you can.
Still, the Revolution will ALWAYS replace Settlers with the Colonial Militia, it doesnt care about my transform effects, like this one:

Weird, maybe transform just doesn't work with revolution. Possible fixes would be letting it activate another tech that transforms the unit or doing it by trigger.
That it is my good man! File is called homecityRevolution.xml
I'm taking it that transform doesn't work in the tech no matter where you put it, but other effects do, yes?
hth Tilanus

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 04-03-10 03:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
@no_nickname - I'll try, but actually it's pretty much the same. I just changed the position of the attributes, but that shouldn't be a problem either, that's how you can use XML.
What tech are you using to transform Outposts into "Lookouts"?
A revo politician of course. I think it was XPRevolutionLouverture

The proto objects do exist of course, it's not the only transformation effect. The spelling is correct, I checked a few times.

@Bilbo
I hate it also - but since TWC (even more with TAD) stuff is executed in the game exe itself.

Most probably the tag does the settler -> militia conversion.
Yes, I feared that this would cause it too. In theory it should work if I just delete that command inside the executable, shouldn't it?
Any ideas how to mod that file? ^^
I did that, "Initiate Revolution" is the first tech, the automatic unit upgrades do work. Here just an excerpt to see the order:
<Effect type="InitiateRevolution"/>    
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">XPRevolution</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Signiferes</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Aquiliferes</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Optiones</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Tribunes</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Principes</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Legionarii</Effect>
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">ImpLegionarii</Effect>

<Effect type="SetName" proto="HQTent" culture="none" newName="168"/>
<Effect type="TransformUnit" toprotoid="HQTent" fromprotoid="TownCenter"/>
<Effect type="TransformUnit" fromprotoid="House" toprotoid="PopTent"/>
<Effect type="TransformUnit" fromprotoid="HouseMed" toprotoid="PopTent"/>
[...]

@Ninja
I know I can't add new Revo politicians[/a]
Yes you can.
And how? I set up once a new revo pol in politiciandata, techtreey, stringtabley and protoy. Didnt work.
Weird, maybe transform just doesn't work with revolution. Possible fixes would be letting it activate another tech that transforms the unit or doing it by trigger.
Yes, that could the reason too, but for which reason? There's no point in that (although that does happen a lot when modding aoe3 ^^).

How would this fix look like? I was thinking about a second tech that directly develops AFTER revolution, but how would I activate it automatically.

Maybe I should bundle the transformation effects in another tech and just let this tech activate in the effects tag of the Revo politician. I didnt try that yet, this might be a way to walk around the problem since it'd just activate tech (and this is working). So in case you're right about transformations not working in Revo pol effects this could be it.

Still, if it doesnt, I have no clue how to deal with it properly. I just see that solution, another bad one which says "let the player click a second tech button to fix it all" or modify the executable, which is clearly above my horizon of skills I think.
I'm taking it that transform doesn't work in the tech no matter where you put it, but other effects do, yes?
Absolutely correct.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-04-10 12:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Wouldn't activating a separate tech containing your Effect work?

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
posted 04-04-10 12:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
I tried three things:

Transform effects IN the revo pol tech. No success.
Transform effects in a SEPARATE tech, actived by revo pol. No success.
Transform effects in a SEPARATE tech, actived by player click. No success.

I bet it's the f*ckin revolution itself! F! F! F!

It's just not working. You can try yourself, but I didnt get it work.

Now: How do I edit the executable?

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-04-10 02:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
And how? I set up once a new revo pol in politiciandata, techtreey, stringtabley and protoy. Didnt work.
Secret
How would this fix look like? I was thinking about a second tech that directly develops AFTER revolution, but how would I activate it automatically.
Exactly how you have with your unit upgrade techs. As in
<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Tech that transforms the unit</Effect>
So when the other tech is activated, it does the transform.
Maybe I should bundle the transformation effects in another tech and just let this tech activate in the effects tag of the Revo politician. I didnt try that yet, this might be a way to walk around the problem since it'd just activate tech (and this is working). So in case you're right about transformations not working in Revo pol effects this could be it.
Exactly
Still, if it doesnt, I have no clue how to deal with it properly. I just see that solution, another bad one which says "let the player click a second tech button to fix it all" or modify the executable, which is clearly above my horizon of skills I think.
Either a trigger could do it or if the above solutions don't work just cut out the rev's entirely and make your own tech that has all the same effects of revolution but isn't actually a revolution tech.
I'd suggest you talk to Tahattus about making your own Revolution politicians.
Just to be sure, have you tried doing it in a tech that has nothing to do with Revolution to see if the tech itself works?

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r
posted 04-04-10 03:16 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
I suppose a Revolution is one of those yes-but-only-once techs, so you can't fake it with another tech?

After all, all a revolution really does is change your flag and HC, leave a little note for the postgame, and transform villies into Militia. I'm pretty sure nobody really cares about the screen-filling rotating guns, I personally think they're bloody annoying...

peugeot407

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

posted 04-04-10 05:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Yes, I was already considering just making a fake revolution, however, that would mean I have to scrap Macedonians and the Legio Ferrata flags. F*ck it!
Secret
I tried it the "normal" way. Just like you do normal politicians. Do your own revo pols at least make this possible?
Exactly how you have with your unit upgrade techs. As in

<Effect type="TechStatus" status="active">Tech that transforms the unit</Effect>

So when the other tech is activated, it does the transform.
Yeah, I figured that out on my own then rather quickly, you might've noticed
Exactly
Tried, didnt work, as I wrote.
Either a trigger could do it or if the above solutions don't work just cut out the rev's entirely and make your own tech that has all the same effects of revolution but isn't actually a revolution tech.
I'd suggest you talk to Tahattus about making your own Revolution politicians.
Never worked with triggers, this all really bugs me now. Grrrr!

Now - after trying and trying - I think own revo pols wouldn't be an improvement at all - technically. For a real revo you have to use the initiaterevo effect and XPRevolution, I think XPRevolution is just changing the age icon to "R" while the InitiateRevo contains all the stupid sh!t that drives me inside. So without this it doesnt work, but with it doesnt work either.
Just to be sure, have you tried doing it in a tech that has nothing to do with Revolution to see if the tech itself works?
I did.

Man, today I posted in the flag question thread a "Nope." I wish it would've been a "sure, it is!", then I'd really make a fake revolution, but now I can forget it

» Modding is art! «

[This message has been edited by Tilanus Commodor (edited 04-04-2010 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 04-05-10 06:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
soz if this was answered priviously

but two ideas for stopping the settlers from transforiming into colonial militia

change colonial militia in the proto to have all the same stats and everything as a settler

or

dont use settlers in game
create a new villager unit thats completely different

This post has been approved by IDA
(International Display of Awesomeness Est: 1992)

All rights reserved. All components including (but not limited to) text, images, opinions and ideas remain the property of murray jnr. Deal with it.
posted 04-05-10 08:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
but two ideas for stopping the settlers from transforiming into colonial militia
change colonial militia in the proto to have all the same stats and everything as a settler
That would not really solve the problem, cause I want to change more than just the settlers. As you might've noticed, the transformations dont work at all. This would also mean that I'd have to find ONE unit for ALL revo civs, which is shit
dont use settlers in game
create a new villager unit thats completely different
To mess up my AI completely? No, thanks.

» Modding is art! «
posted 04-08-10 11:15 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Wouldn't be too much of a problem, would it? After all, all you have to do is Ctrl+F 'Settler' and replace it with something else. Might be some work, but if it's the only way to get it to work... It sucks, though.

peugeot407

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Badass revolution code
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames