Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Using the Granny Viewer || A tutorial by peugeot407
posted 09-05-10 10:19 AM EDT (US)   

by peugeot407

Her Majesty says: "I had deeply terrifying news this morning. Even though I ordered every sergeant to explain the Royal Army's superior equipment to every soldier, it seems some are still unaware with it's features. I found this so worrying, I decided to take matters into my own hands."

"Now all show your Granny Viewer! What? You don't have it? Report to the Royal Armoury at once!"

--

A worthless Frenchman says: "She can be un peu forward at times, I hope you don't mind. Non? Allez!"

--

Her Majesty says: "Can somebody remove that French piece of lower class uselessness from the room? Where were we now? Ah, I remember. The Granny Viewer is a very simple tool that enables you to see what's inside those annoying little .gr2 files you'll find everywhere in Age of Empires III's Art folder. It's main screen should now look familiar to you, but here it is anyway:"

--

Her Majesty says: "The main part of the granny viewer is the model preview screen you see in the top right corner of the screen. Well, when I say corner of the screen, it actually covers most of it. Below that you'll find six tabs filled with all sorts of information, though most of it will only be understood by those a few social classes above yours. To the left is what's generally referred to as the 'Main Menu'. It contains some very interesting options, as well as slightly less interesting ones such as 'Exit Granny Viewer'."

"Shall we continue? It seems many of you do not quite know where to find which textures are attached to a said Granny model. I am pleased to say Granny Viewer has a solution for that. Jolly good, now isn't it? And it's all just one click away. A click on the 'Texture List' tab, that is. Because I deeply doubt if any of you will be able to fully understand this, I have had a picture drawn to show it very clearly."

--

Her Majesty says: "We are almost at the point of fully understanding those things you need to know about the Granny Viewer. There's but one thing that stands in our way. Well, actually there's more than one. They're called 'bones'. No, not those that you lot seem to find still in the meat you seldom eat, but those to which objects can be attached. Though most units and buildings in Age of Empires III share a number of bones, to know exactly which unit has which bone at which position (are you still following?) you'll have to take a look at the Granny Viewer again. Click on the button called 'Skeletons' in the Main Menu, then enable bones to be seen by clicking the appropriate buttons."

--

Her Majesty says: "Now it seems you have finished this tutorial, and with that you should now know how to properly handle your modding equipment. I doubt you will not have to read it again, but if this makes you a better modder, I suppose it'll be necessary. I guess I'll just return to the Palace now, I tend to find it's inhabitants slightly more agreeable people than you."

--

Side note I by Robert Faber, a humble sergeant in the Royal Modding Army: Please use this information wisely, so it will no more be needed to ask these questions in separate threads. Dismissed!
Side note II by Robert Faber, a humble sergeant in the Royal Modding Army: I hope that, and would want to ask if, Colonel Tahattus, being of higher rank than me in the Royal Modding Army, won't mind me using his style of tutorial-writing.

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 09-05-2010 @ 10:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-05-10 11:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Wow this seems like an awesome breakthrough in aoe3 modding!

SUNIL IS NUB!!!

Battle.net:Bart (227)
ESO:Bart331
posted 09-05-10 11:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
It's not, really... The Granny Viewer is years old, it's just that I found nobody had made a tutorial about it, yet it is such a useful modding tool. What's in the first post is the result of that. But it's nothing like the new-3d-model-ingame things that arcalion (may he one day speak English) and Lord Tahattus did a few weeks ago.

peugeot407

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

posted 09-05-10 01:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Love the style - where'd you think of it?
EDIT: Added to mod database

Lead designer for The War of the Triple Alliance Mod
"It's a trap, for noobs. Looks like you're a noob, congratulations. Read the instructions this time."
-Lord Tahattus
"Most SDers don't have any knowledge on scripting. We do. You can impress them but not us."
-invent00r

[This message has been edited by DayoftheNinja (edited 09-05-2010 @ 02:28 PM).]

posted 09-05-10 04:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Hum, if you copied me it's because I rocked on that thread...

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
WOTTA WEBSITE!
War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
posted 09-05-10 05:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
@DotN: Thanks!
@Tahattus: If you need a compliment, yes, you rocked...

peugeot407

posted 09-05-10 06:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
ha, awesome. Nice work peugeot (good foundation Tahattus )
posted 09-19-10 02:57 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Could any of the admins please put it on Main site?

» The Ancient Age | Napoleonic Era «

» Modding is art! «
posted 09-28-10 08:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
I don't have the idea it's being visited very regularly. The Database is far more useful, and we don't have to beg to moderators to get our tutorials there. It would be more useful, I'd say, to move all the main page tutorials to the Mod Database.

peugeot407

PS: And, Tilanus, it's time you wrote a tutorial.

posted 09-28-10 03:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
If someone wants to start a modding tutorials thread I will sticky it for you as it will be easier for you guys to keep it up to date etc. and make the tutorials easier to find for any newbie.

Unfortunately I don't have the power to edit the main modding page, will see if I can encourage another staff member to have a look though.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 09-28-10 04:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
I'm in the middle of coding it in. Peugeot's pictures slow me down a bit
posted 09-29-10 12:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
If someone wants to start a modding tutorials thread I will sticky it for you
Always wanted to do that... No, seriously, I think I am going to.

peugeot407

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Using the Granny Viewer || A tutorial by peugeot407
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames