Please login or register

Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Texturing Issues || A tutorial by peugeot407
posted 11-04-10 11:22 AM EDT (US)   

ASIMO says: Konichiwa! If you've ever attempted using the 'replacetexture' tags to get a new texture in the game, you must know what a pain in the arse it can be when it doesn't work, there's so many possible errors, and so many possible causes! This tutorial will hopefully help you out.

ASIMO says: Let's first take a look at an example screenie. You can see the modder was trying to get a custom skin to the model of an Aztec Warrior Priest. The bit of this XML telling the game what model and texture to use now consists of three types of lines; the line telling the game which Granny 3D model to use (Red), the line telling the game what textures to replace (Green), and the line telling the game what textures to replace them with (Blue). All of these lines can contain errors, but fortunately there's a way of telling in what type of line the error is!

ASIMO says: The first possibility is for the red bit to contain faulty info. The result:

ASIMO says: Indeed, you'd see nothing. There are really only two things that can cause this:

1. The model you are refering to does not exist
2. The file path contains a typing error.

ASIMO says: Another possibility is for the green bit to contain faulty info. The result:

ASIMO says: Yes, that's the original texture. There are a few things that could have gone wrong:

1. You misspelled 'replacetexture' or 'from', so the game doesn't get the order to change anything
2. The texture you are refering to does not belong to the 3D model. Check this through the Granny Viewer.
3. The file path contains a typing error1.
4. You've used the 'replacetexture' tag so often the game becomes overloaded. This is not very probable, though, unless it's a major mod you're working on.

ASIMO says: Let's not forget about the blue bit! Too often it happens people make mistakes here and the unit shows up like this:

ASIMO says: A nice colour, but you probably didn't want it to look all black. Here's what could have caused it:

1. You misspelled 'to', so the game doesn't know what texture to use.
2. You ordered the game to use a texture outside the Art folder. This will never work, just stop trying.
3. You used the entire file path, including 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Art\'. There's no need, AoE3 will automatically start in the Art folder2.
4. The file path contains a typing error.

ASIMO says: These were all possible causes for your texture to show up wrongly, I'm off.

peugeot407

1 = This happens very often. A nice example is the texture of a Spahi horse, the correct path is 'units\cavalry\spahi\spahi-horse-guard', but where ES normally uses underscores (_), now they've used a hyphen (-)! It's incredibly easy to type an underscore without noticing, then wonder for hours why your texture doesn't work.
2 = "Starting in the Art folder" means 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Art\units\...' should become 'units\...'.

This tutorial was made possible by the World Organisation for Robot Entertainment Spoofing

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
|> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 11-04-2010 @ 04:15 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-04-10 03:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
very good, easy to understand. But being a japanese pronunciation freak: KoniCHiwa, not knoiSHiwa. That is all.
posted 11-04-10 04:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
I bet I best go and edit it then...

peugeot407

|> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
|> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)

posted 11-04-10 06:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
thx for your tut, this thread should be pinned.

btw, do you know if this is possible to add "AI build walls" for vanilla? I tried to add the needed lines, each time I get error0003 cannot compile Ailoaderstandard.xs.

btw, how works the lighting in AOE3?

some models seem to have a specular map + a normal map, like the cuirassier_horse_1age. the lighting of this unit is too much bright. the fur of the horse shines like a piece of metal.

ps: do you have a link for your danish civ for vanilla? the current vanilla link gives the civ for TWC

[This message has been edited by Tatanka (edited 11-04-2010 @ 06:54 PM).]

posted 11-04-10 06:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
If we stickied all the tutorials there would be no room on the front page for other threads.

Hence the good work being done by peugot here

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 11-04-10 07:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
thx for the link, I did not know all these tutorials.

there is somewhere a thread for the questions about modding? I don't want to create a thread whenever I have a question.

if a thread exists sorry for being blind lol
posted 11-05-10 06:32 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
A. I believe this has been discussed a long time ago, and just having people ask questions must have made more sense to 'those of old' than a FAQ...

B. In the Tutorial Database you'll be able to find all tutorials I have been able to find so far, even this one's already in.

C. I stopped working on the Danish Civ Mod a long time ago, and all my modding efforts at the time are going into K&B. Perhaps I will one day fix the many bugs that mod has, but don't count on it too heavily.

peugeot407

[This message has been edited by peugeot407 (edited 11-09-2010 @ 08:49 AM).]

posted 11-05-10 09:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
there is somewhere a thread for the questions about modding? I don't want to create a thread whenever I have a question.
1. Check the stickies

2. Use the search.

3. Make a thread.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 11-05-10 12:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Let's change my 123 to ABC, otherwise it'll look as if Maffia was trying to copycat me...

peugeot407

posted 11-06-10 02:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
damn' i'm fed up with the uhlans,

i try to remove the free uhlans which come with the shipments, but if I simply erase the lines.

i get the f..... error 0003 "cannot load ailoaderstandard blabla". so I searched everywhere a special tech but with no results.

someone would have an idea. i even try to put "freehomecityunit=0", but with that, the card doesn't work, excepted for the free towers card, which become infinite
posted 11-06-10 10:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
1. Check the stickies

2. Use the search.

3. Make a thread.
peugeot407

posted 11-09-10 05:37 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
nevermind, I found a solution
posted 11-10-10 04:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Added to the wiki. Thanks!

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Texturing Issues || A tutorial by peugeot407
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames