Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What Counters What? A Guide for New Players
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 10-24-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)   
Here's a very basic list of what counters what. It is meant to help those who need to learn the counter system in AOE. Use this information to beat those rushes that you once deemed unstoppable (strelets, janissaries, tomahawks).

Unit Classifications:

Heavy Infantry: Pikeman, Halberdier, Musketeer, Janissary, Doppelsoldner, Rodelero, Grenadier, Puma Spearman, Jaguar Prowl Knight, Skull Knight, Tomahawk, War Club

Light Infantry: Crossbowman, Skirmisher, Longbowman, Strelet, Cassador, Abus Gun, Aenna, Cetan Bow, Macehualtin, Arrow Knight, Forest Prowler, Wakina Rifle, Mantlet

Melee Calvary: Hussar, Cuirassier, Cossack, Uhlan, Lancer, Oprichnik, Spahi, Coyote Runner, Kanya Horseman, Axe Rider, Tashunke Prowler, Dog Solider

Ranged Calvary: Dragoon, Calvary Archer, Ruyter, War Wagon, Eagle Runner Knight, Musket Rider, Bow Rider, Rifle Rider

Artillery: Falconet, Heavy Cannon, Rocket, Great Bombard, Mortar, Culverin, Organ Gun, Light Cannon

Counters:

Light Infantry
Counter with Artillery, Melee Calvary

Heavy Infantry
Counter with Artillery, Light Infantry

Melee Calvary
Counter with Heavy Infantry, Ranged Calvary

Ranged Calvary
Counter with Heavy Infantry, Light Infantry

Artillery
Counter with Melee Calvary, Ranged Calvary

Buildings
Counter with Heavy Infantry, Artillery

Exceptions:

Grenadier counters Crossbows, Longbows and Buildings, and is countered by Cavalry
Abus Gun counters Heavy Infantry and Light Infantry
Oprichnik counters Buildings, Artillery, and Light Infantry
Mortar counters Buildings, not Infantry
Ram counters Buildings
Lancer counters Infantry and Artillery
Culverin counters Artillery, not Infantry or Buildings
Rifle Rider counters Heavy Infantry, Artillery and Melee Calvary and is countered by Light Infantry and Ranged Cavalry
Jaguar Prowl Knight counters Cavalry, Heavy Infantry, and Buildings
Arrow Knight counters Artillery and Buildings, not Heavy Infantry or Ranged Cavalry
Mantlet counters Light Infantry and Buildings, not Heavy Infantry
Light Cannon counters Artillery, Infantry, and Buildings

[This message has been edited by jaafit (edited 12-22-2006 @ 02:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-24-05 04:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 61  
Nice.

About time too.

posted 10-24-05 04:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 61  
Nice, very useful. Thanks for putting it together.

Little_Wing

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
posted 10-24-05 09:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 61  
Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone seen any errors or omissions? I'm sure there are more "exceptions" like the war wagon.

Also, I left out navy and natives for now, but if someone wants to write up the classifications of those as well I'll add them.

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 10-26-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 61  
You might want to re-post this in General Discussion forums.
I know this info can be found in other posts, but you did a good job laying it out very simply and effectively.
posted 10-27-05 03:36 AM EDT (US)     5 / 61  
I don't think you should counter ranged cavalry with melee infantry. they could just run away, shoot, run away, shoot...

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 10-27-05 04:41 AM EDT (US)     6 / 61  
Ok what do you suggest then? ranged infantry?

agecommunity quote of the month Ok i have payed for this game for al my moneythat i get in a month so when i go online isee these 9 year old kids that beat me that have played for 2 weeks and i have played since release of vanilla so im pretty pissed of that es dosent want to do anything about the balance of the game.
posted 10-27-05 05:16 AM EDT (US)     7 / 61  
Ranged infantry is also heavy infantry (musketiers), musketiers being heavy infantry have damage bonus vs cavs, dragons= cavs (no matter if they are ranged).
So probably best solution is Musketiers.
posted 10-27-05 09:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 61  
Problem with that is musketeers get slaughtered by lancers.
posted 10-27-05 10:04 AM EDT (US)     9 / 61  
I don't think musketeers get the bonus against cavalry unless they are in melee mode.

I could be wrong, though (maybe they're throwing their bayonets..)

posted 10-27-05 02:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 61  

Quote:

Ranged infantry is also heavy infantry

I don't think so. Skirmishers are ranged but aren't heavy and pikes are heavy but not ranged.

Quote:

musketiers being heavy infantry have damage bonus vs cavs, dragons= cavs (no matter if they are ranged).
So probably best solution is Musketiers.

So what do those who don't have Musketeers do? I'm looking for a classification instead of a specific unit.

Quote:

Problem with that is musketeers get slaughtered by lancers.

haha well what doesn't? Actually Musketeers get a bonus against all cavs as Darth Vader said.

Quote:

I don't think musketeers get the bonus against cavalry unless they are in melee mode. I could be wrong, though (maybe they're throwing their bayonets..)

LOL. I don't know, I guess I'll have to try it in the scenario editor.

Thanks for the feedback.

posted 10-27-05 02:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 61  
The musketeer bonus vs. cav only applies to the melee attack. The musketeer ranged attack never has a multiplier.
posted 10-28-05 11:01 AM EDT (US)     12 / 61  
Well the Dutch don't have musketiers, however they have a Dragoon who takes up just 1 pop so you can use that+ their skirmishers to counter the dragoons, also you can use halbs to make a safe counter too lancers.
I am not sure what is the other civ that doesn't have musketiers.
posted 10-28-05 06:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 61  
using an imaginary clock

draw an M at 12:00 for Musketeers

add a P at 3:00 for Pikemen

then add a C at 9:00 for Calvary

note: 6:00 is blank

finnaly put an A in the middle for Artillery

moving clockwise draw arrows from one letter to the other

ex: M > P
P > C
C > M

now add arrows for Artillery

ex:A > M
A > P

note: Calvary arrow goes towards Artillery C > A

This is how I see the attack/counter wheel
what do you guys think?

“In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances; profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer.” – Mark Twain

[This message has been edited by CheeseSteakJimmy (edited 10-28-2005 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 10-29-05 05:53 AM EDT (US)     14 / 61  
um *new guy speaking* i'm confused jimmy...

and um jaafit am i right in saying according to that post ranged cavelry arn't good against anything? so its kinda pointless me getting them in a game?

cheers,
-Chris.

posted 10-29-05 06:45 AM EDT (US)     15 / 61  
Would be nice to see the Native American units classified also. For ex. the Cavalry Archer is a ranged cavalry, counters cavalry. Also the Iroquois Tomahawk Warrrior is supposed to be a cavalry counter.

Finally, some of the Heavy Infantry - Pikes and I think Halbardiers - have a bonus vs buildings so should be considered as a building counter, perhaps.

posted 10-29-05 09:45 AM EDT (US)     16 / 61  
Cussadier (my spelling has gone) and lancer are effective against musketeers because of heavy armour or long lances. Only dragoons can beat them cost effectively.

Musketeers ranged attack is better than dragoons, so the musketeers do work against them.

posted 10-29-05 11:05 AM EDT (US)     17 / 61  
I get chills up and down my spine, whenever I see this post of mine.

"I thought it was just another nightmare, like the one I had the night before. There was...there was this guy; he had knives for fingers."
posted 10-29-05 11:07 AM EDT (US)     18 / 61  
very nice, you missed cavalry archer in ranged cavalry.
posted 10-29-05 05:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 61  
Just wondering, is there any unit that fully upgraded, could stand toe to toe and defeat a fully upgraded Cuirasser? Keep in mind, they can have more than 1000 hp...

Also, is there any counter cav unit that does something similar to trample damage? A bunch of halbiediers doesn't do shit to a charge of Curisassers, solely because of the trample damage factor.

[This message has been edited by Blakestr (edited 10-29-2005 @ 05:55 PM).]

posted 10-29-05 09:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 61  
Cool beans. Even me, mr.expert, could use this. (hah)

According to all the records taken about UFO sightings, the best time to see a UFO is between 9PM and 3AM in July.
posted 10-29-05 10:28 PM EDT (US)     21 / 61  
Wait a sec- wah? Shouldnt musketeers have bonus damage to cav at all times? I mean, at the beginning I thought that musketeers only have melee bonus vs cav, but now that I think about it....
Who would die first? A guy with a coat and a musket with a 1 foot long blade sticking out, or some guy with a sword on a charging horse? I would doubt that the musketeer would be able to get a good stab on the horse. But being a ranged unit, the horse makes for a big target and should therefore be at a disadvantige from range....get what i'm saying?
posted 10-30-05 05:37 AM EDT (US)     22 / 61  

Quote:

am i right in saying according to that post ranged cavelry arn't good against anything? so its kinda pointless me getting them in a game?

Ranged calvary are good against calvary only. However, you can put ranged calvary into melee mode and then they are pretty decent against artillery. They might be good for villie raiding but I've heard that they have a 0.5 multiplier against villiagers.

Quote:

some of the Heavy Infantry - Pikes and I think Halbardiers - have a bonus vs buildings so should be considered as a building counter, perhaps.

They are already in the list (heavy infantry).

Quote:

you missed cavalry archer in ranged cavalry.

Is that a native unit? I'm not doing native units right now but if it's not I'll add it.

posted 10-30-05 08:51 AM EDT (US)     23 / 61  
Hey guys, I have a question regarding the German War Wagon.
Is it just a different Dragoon with a lot of hitpoints? What is it good for?
posted 10-30-05 09:23 AM EDT (US)     24 / 61  
And do Light infantery eg scirmishers have bonus vs other light infantery eg crossbowmen
posted 10-30-05 10:05 AM EDT (US)     25 / 61  

Quote:

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the German War Wagon.
Is it just a different Dragoon with a lot of hitpoints? What is it good for?

From what i've read of its stats on the unit database, its a horse-drawn wagon (like the one from AOK) thats fitted with a cannon that is good and taking out cavelry.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » What Counters What? A Guide for New Players
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames