Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: General Tips
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 10-24-05 02:30 PM EDT (US)   
I've noticed people making some weird mistakes in-game. So here are some general tips I gathered, please add on:

-Musketeers do not counter Dopplesoldners they counter cav. They can, but xbows and light infantry are better.

- Anti-infantry units, not pikemen, counter war wagons.

-Scouting 4tw. If you know what your enemy has you basically are bound to win most battles.

-Do NOT try to place your Fort without the Fort Wagon being on the place where you want it. Send the Fort Wagon to the location first, then start making the Fort. Also, make sure you scout the area where you're making the fort and make sure none of the enemy units have a big enough LOS to see the construction. Place units in front of the Fort to make sure the construction will be safe.

-On the other hand, if you peak at the enemy building their Fort and it's not far from you, go for it! Do not hesitate in taking out the enemy Fort, even if you lose dozens of troops, you'd lose a lot more if the Fort went up. When the enemy hits Fortress Age it will probably be one of his priority, so do some scouting .

-Scout for forward bases!: A lot of players will forward build to get a faster and more effective rush. It's a great idea to keep a scout around for the forward bases.

-Rush is the new turtle. If you plan on defending yourself, the best attack is the best defense. The best way to turtle is to keep the troops at home around the base and keep a steady rate of troops incoming while not getting in the way for your economic improvements and settler production rate.

- It's usually a good idea to send lots of people to gather wood while you're aging up. As soon as you hit second age you'll be needing a lot of wood.

- "Don't build your fort in the middle of a battle! all the time someone tries this on me and I just kill the fort. I might loose my entire army but then he has no fort all game!" -tster

- Keep a steady rate of settlers being created. You should have around 60 on a normal boom. ALWAYS move villagers around to things you need more, but always keep some on things you don't need at the moment. Making sure you have the resource incoming even if you don't need it won't place you on a bad situation when you do.

- During late game, where you have around 15-20 villagers mining from a gold mine, it's a great idea to send half of those to another mine. Gold is very important and in case the mine runs out in the middle of combat, you'll still have another to make sure you have a steady rate of troops. Also, if your gold gets raided you don't have to worry as much.

- Save HC cards! If you have extra skill points (points used to purchase cards) and you don't see anything that it will 100% make your deck better, just save it up. At level 10 and 25 there's awesome cards, and if you have skill points saved up, you can get a whole bunch of them as soon as you hit that level.

-Do not build important buildings next to a trade route when the enemy has a TP. This is a scout that they can use, and if they see your forward fort, then they’ll go around it or know it’s there. Or don’t have your factory near a TP either. -some_player

-Hunt animals from behind, so that they move towards your town center. it is less walking time, so saves you villie seconds. -Fwiffo

-Keep an eye on the score, see if they have a native American symbol on their name early in the game so you can watch for an NA rush.

-Use minutemen when you need them! I often see people I’m rushing not use them even though my pikemen or dopps would get crushed vs. them

-Keep Surgeons garrisoned in your TC's when not in use. Not only does it keep them safe, it gives them an attack! Make the enemy think he is forcing you to garrison villagers! -Ceres

-Once more, scout But this time, a unit is not necessarily needed. Occasionally look at the trees around the opponents base. You will be able to see them fall, so that is where their lumberjacks are. You can also see deer and Bison that have been shot and gathered on the map in places you are not exploring. -Armagin

- Nootka clubmen are very useful to rush. They only cost 80f 15w (lowest wood cost from all natives) and they own cavalry and buildings. They are much better then pikes because they have 80 hp more then pikes and cost more 4x as much wood. If you put 5 musks as a back up they own muskets easily. If you have 10/15 early enough you can take out his tc. Very usefull vs ff/merc strats -Shizzle
Actually, use all natives, they don’t cost pop and cant help in certain situations

-A different look at the fort. This is when it’s already been built. Circle around the fort and attack his base from behind. His fort will be useless this way. DONT attack his fort when you slightly outnumber him because you will only sacrifice troops. His fort will be useless this way and he has to defend his base.-Shizzle
This backdoor technique is very good and can be used for a surprise

-Use Walls! Yes, they are weak. But they can get irritating for the opponent. They will block out raiders coming your villagers. You don’t necessarily have to completely wall in, just guard your back door.

-When attacking a TC surround it This enables you to melee any units that come from shipments and trpa escaping villagers. -brandnizzle

-Do not counter Grenadiers and Abus Guns as artillery, counter them as light infantry -MNBOB

That's it for now .

[This message has been edited by Stonewall J (edited 07-12-2006 @ 10:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-24-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 72  
don't build your fort in the middle of a battle! all the time someone tries this on me and I just kill the fort. I might loose my entire army but then he has no fort all game!

Quote:

- Anti Infantry units counter War Wagons, not pikemen.

are you sure about that? I thought they were just like dragoons. so muskets would be the best counter...

[This message has been edited by tster123 (edited 10-24-2005 @ 02:35 PM).]

posted 10-24-05 02:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 72  
-Mortar the enemy fort ASAP. They'll send an army to attack your mortars, so be waiting for them with your own bigger army and preferably some backup static defenses. They'll lose their army, fort, and you should still have your mortars which you can use now as creeping death, gutting their base slowly...

Vivir sin queso es morir - To live without cheese dip is to die
Spain will once again rule
Ryan's Blog

Age of Empires: The Musical Partake of my Ness Obsession Penny Arcade Does 'Age of Kings'

posted 10-24-05 02:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 72  
You forgot to add for the people who have to wait for the game to com out...

Make a text file on your desktop, labelled... Read this on 4th November. then copy and paste all of the text into this text file, and don't delete it.

This thread will disapear in a few days.... you don't want juicy info to disapear to Page 14 where you can't find it.

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!
posted 10-24-05 02:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 72  

Quote:

-Mortar the enemy fort ASAP. They'll send an army to attack your mortars, so be waiting for them with your own bigger army and preferably some backup static defenses. They'll lose their army, fort, and you should still have your mortars which you can use now as creeping death, gutting their base slowly...

Added something like that.

posted 10-24-05 02:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 72  
ooo my missus would like this thread, with the article growing longer by the minute lol
Okay I'll shut-up now and soak up the info, coz I'm excellent at playing like a noob.

Is it a good idea to build your fort in your towncenter as a defensive measure? As well as build TC's next to each other? It's not very offensive but any rushes should be better defended. Just an idea from reading your article.

Im getting a sweater for christmas , I'd much rather have a screamer or a moaner ho! ho! ho!

[This message has been edited by MaxReality (edited 10-24-2005 @ 03:04 PM).]

posted 10-24-05 03:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 72  
Pikemen don't counter War Wagons? Sure about that?
posted 10-24-05 03:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 72  
Go ahead guys, try it for yourselves in the editor .

I won so many matches because people think so, I shouldn't be helping ya should I?

posted 10-24-05 03:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 72  
No, Eplea mass War Wagons, he's telling you so you won't be able to counter them properly, OBVIOUSLY. >.>
posted 10-24-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 72  
lol.

Make Skirmishers instead. Not only Skirms counter infantry (doppels) but they also seem to kill War Wagons easily.

posted 10-24-05 03:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 72  
Some hints I've picked up on from various places.

-Good economy, more units > bad econmy, counter units. Always perfect your economy.

-Always shoot hunting animals toward your base.

-Collect all the cows/sheep you can. When fatten at 500f, they gather 1/2 the speed of crates. That's about X3 the speed of hunting.

-Hunting is easier to gather than wood. Crates of wood > crates of food.

-Walls are effective against early raids.

-Musketeers are way more cost effective than pikes.

-Hussars aren't good without supporting troops. Always avoid battle and just harras economy.

-The best strategy right now is rushing/raiding. Even if you don't kill some settlers, if they are move around because of your raids, you are effective enough to have your economy > his economy.

I have yet to see a lot of fast 3rd age ups, but I think there are some out there. Think Kumar Shah has a german fast advance, and the Portuguese don't sound bad to use with a fast 3rd age advance at all either.

If someone could list all the strategies, that would be kinda helpful. There are so many, I think there is definately more in AoE3 than there was in AoM and AoE2 combined, but none of them are really defined yet. We'll see...

The Legion Clan is the oldest international clan in the gaming community with a founding date of 1999. For years have we held on to our traditions, tournaments, and even play-styles. Basically what we always look for is bright minds, superior skills, and interesting personalities. We only invite people to be a part of our family that we can achieve something with. Now don’t tell me The Legion Clan doesn’t know what’s important. Join a clan with history, one you can trust, join L Clan.

[This message has been edited by Realn (edited 10-24-2005 @ 03:33 PM).]

posted 10-24-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 72  
add this one:
when janisarais vs strelets, jans are better, but most times there are more strelets. put your jans in melee, and they own them. stupid strelets all go down because jans have much higher melee attack

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 10-24-05 03:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 72  
I was playing a game yesterday where my ally dropped right at the start (grrr) and so while I was fighting one of the enemys I sent a little scout party and found the other enemy building a fort without protection so I just went on destroying it

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3
posted 10-24-05 04:04 PM EDT (US)     13 / 72  
imo the fort builds to fast, i barely managed to destroy it with 4/5 galleys and 2 frigates firing on it, 1 galley less and it would be completed. i fired from the beginning (20%)

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 10-24-2005 @ 04:05 PM).]

posted 10-24-05 04:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 72  

Quote:

Musketeers do not counter Dopplesoldners.

I disagree, as with Crossbowmen, if you micro your musk they counter dops quite well, u certainly dont want to use cav vs dops

Quote:

-On the other hand, if you peak at the enemy building their Fort and it's not far from you, go for it! Do not hessitate in taking out the enemy Fort, even if you lose dozens of troops, you'd lose a lot more if the Fort went up. When the enemy hits Fortress Age it will probably be one of his priority, so do some scouting .

Not always true.... I recently won a game mainly since someone did this.

Quote:

- "Don't build your fort in the middle of a battle! all the time someone tries this on me and I just kill the fort. I might loose my entire army but then he has no fort all game!" -tster

As i just said plz do that it is like sacrifising your queen in chess.... it is worth it at times

Good Tips tho

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 10-24-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 72  
    forts are only needed if you are in a stale mate or plan to be in a defensive possition, I'd rather have offensive cards in age 3 and economic cards in age 2 so I can kill you before you get the option to even request a fort.

berries>mills use them first... so many games i seee full berry patches next to 5 mills...

if you face jans in melee mode when you have strelet then run your troops then turn and shoot, rinse and repeat for best results. you will end up losing far less strelets than you would if the jans were in volley mode :P

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 10-24-05 07:57 PM EDT (US)     16 / 72  

Quote:

I disagree, as with Crossbowmen, if you micro your musk they counter dops quite well, u certainly dont want to use cav vs dops

As with anything if you micro enough you can kick ass. The problem is we're talking about the effectiveness of it. Plus, they mostly just send their musketeers and didn't bother to micro.

Quote:

Not always true.... I recently won a game mainly since someone did this.

I recently won one for having a Fort while my enemy had nothing. But you're right, after third age the fortress becomes useless as Mortars take it down in 5 seconds flat.

Quote:

forts are only needed if you are in a stale mate or plan to be in a defensive possition, I'd rather have offensive cards in age 3 and economic cards in age 2 so I can kill you before you get the option to even request a fort.

Depends on the card, but until level 25 or so you won't have that many good offensive cards. Also, Forts don't need any resources from you, while troops need more houses built and take a lot of your pop.

posted 10-24-05 08:02 PM EDT (US)     17 / 72  
    well if people don't micro their units they probably don't deserve to win anyway

Playing: Poker. Yay.
    Retired: Age of Empires 3, Warcraft 3, Guild Wars, Dark Age of Camelot, Age of Empires 2.
    posted 10-24-05 08:05 PM EDT (US)     18 / 72  
    Moved to Strategy Discussions...

And stickied -- keep it up to date, foo'.

» Your attractive master.
    » "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
    posted 10-25-05 02:20 AM EDT (US)     19 / 72  
    It is kind of funny to see people try to counter with things that would have worked in AoK. Pikemen can't beat skirmishers in this one...
    posted 10-26-05 12:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 72  

Quote:

Musketeers do not counter Dopplesoldners.

Is that only in melee? I though doppels were weak against ranged and were slow.

///scipio_africanus\\\
    "Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
    "I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
    "posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
    The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
    Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
    posted 10-28-05 08:15 AM EDT (US)     21 / 72  
    What the heck is micro your units????
    posted 10-28-05 09:57 AM EDT (US)     22 / 72  
    http://pcgamejunky.blogspot.com/2005/09/micro-and-its-uses.html

///scipio_africanus\\\
    "Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
    "I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
    "posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
    The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
    Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
    posted 10-31-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     23 / 72  

Quote:

Anti Infantry units counter War Wagons, not pikemen.

Could you reword that? It sounds like you're saying that anti-infantry units don't counter pikemen. Try something more like "Anti-infantry units, not pikemen, counter war wagons" or "Pikemen don't counter war wagons, anti-infantry units do".

I haven't seen anyone mention the halloween skin yet - I think it's great.

Americans are lucky; I still haven't got the game yet.

posted 11-01-05 09:40 AM EDT (US)     24 / 72  
    DO NOT
    (recanted -see harr's comment below)
    -let your Explorer die later in the game while he is in enemy controlled territory (worst: Amazon!). He is the only one who can build a town center.

- build a factory, capitol, church or any other expensive buildings next to trading routes. If the enemy has a tradepost, he will be able to see with the LOS of the coach or train - keep him in the dark about positions of important buildings or big Vill-hunting parties!

One thing to do:

- after you are done with recovering treasures and have the K9, send him with a raiding party, have him die in the enemy's base, favourable at his troop gathering point. Since many players do not change their gathering points you will be able to spy on him with the, at that point, useless K9.

Just got the X-pack!
    Playing Classic Age3 again

[This message has been edited by some_player (edited 11-03-2005 @ 02:14 PM).]

posted 11-03-05 10:36 AM EDT (US)     25 / 72  

Quote:

- let your Explorer die later in the game while he is in enemy controlled territory (worst: Amazon!). He is the only one who can build a town center.

You can get your explorer back by clicking ransom in the Town Center menu. It only costs 100 gold--shouldn't be a problem later in the game.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » General Tips
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames