Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: German vs Ottoman
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-14-05 07:33 AM EDT (US)   
Last night I faced an Ottoman rush with Germans. I tried fending of with crossbowmen without much luck. They aren't really that cheap, considering they cost mainly wood which gathers slowly. I guess this only sounds like whining, but really, crossbowmen are supposed to counter jannisaries and they are not good at it. I tried 8 jannisaries vs 10 crossbows without any microing in the editor, and the crossbows lost. Besides, if the ottomans include some hussars, grenadiers or abus guns they will lose horribly.

I guess I should harrass his villagers with my free uhlans, but it is not as easy as it may sound, and the ottoman player can do just the same with me (without the uhlans though). Any other tips?

Replies:
posted 11-14-05 12:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Ok, with germ vs otto do this:

Age up aroudn 4 mins, get the 8 xbow card and start producing xbows from raqs. He will come in with 10-15 jans around 4-5 mins. Attack his jans from range, hit and run..... ur men out range em and jans are really powerful in full out combat... dont let em go in full out combat

Keep this up and sooner or later u will need to get a stable up. Make sure ur raiding with ur free ulhans and use uber micro with xbows and ulhans to beat the abus jan combo. Age up when u feel safe to do so and pwn him with mercs.... gl

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 11-14-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
    I'd love it if it worked like that Mokon, but the thing is, xbows have the same speed as jans so you can't hit and run that effectively. You can get the first shot off, but jans will catch up within range and pick off your xbows as well. Then you have to start garrisoning your TC and running circles around it and stuff like that. Wood is so damn slow, xbows aren't really cheaper than janissaries, so it's pretty tough. I wish xbows has 5 speed like skirmishers, then it would be a real counter.
    posted 11-14-05 01:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  

Quote:

I'd love it if it worked like that Mokon, but the thing is, xbows have the same speed as jans so you can't hit and run that effectively. You can get the first shot off, but jans will catch up within range and pick off your xbows as well.

.... No....

jans might have the same speed but the key is attack em on the T, attacking him as he is retreating, than u retreat into ur base where he wont follow..... yes u may loose some xbows but not enof to make that big of a difference.

• posted 11-14-05 02:01 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
    Why would he retreat? If he is smart, he will chase your xbows. There is nothing scary in a base except a garrisoned TC, and it takes a TC 3 shots to put down one jan.
    posted 11-14-05 03:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
    plz chase my xbows.... than hes done for sure.... and yes that TC does numbers on those jans

This works against the best

• posted 11-14-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
    Mokon: is anyone better at micro than you are? Most players can't keep the crossbows alive long enough to be effective. You can.
    posted 11-14-05 03:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
    lol, yes many ppl are... why dont we meet online tonight, i can show u guys what i mean.... I mean yes ur gunna loose a lot of xbows, but in the end the micro will pwn em

• posted 11-14-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
    You could always try to rush to getting landersnetcks (I know that spelling is atrocious). It would never work against a good player (luckily for me not a problem at my level) - they would just out micro you with the janissaries, but at lower levels their strength will hold off the janissaries until you can get some crossbows. I know this is a useless idea against good players, but it will work at low levels (as long as they don't micro their janissaries you should beat them).
    posted 11-14-05 05:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
    That a unit will need to hit and run on the units they counter seems a bit unfair to me, but atleast it is a tip I have never heard before that might be very usefull.

Can the germans get 500 wood when they advance to colonial when they are past level 10? That could also be quite usefull.

posted 11-14-05 08:01 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
    There is nothing unfair about that johnn, in fact units were balanced that way. If they were balanced for standing and fighting, units like skirmishers and dragoons would be incredibly overpowered in hit and run. Thus they HAVE to be balanced for hit and run.

Xbows however are not a good hit and run unit, Mokon is just plain wrong on this topic.

Yes, you can advance with 500 wood but you need to be lvl 40+ to get that politician.

[This message has been edited by bigRed (edited 11-14-2005 @ 08:02 PM).]

posted 11-14-05 08:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
    nope, its the main way i counter otto with germ.... i have a lvl 30 also..

• posted 11-14-05 10:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
    ok

i've done this before and half the time it was effective. the problem was, the enemy used his right click to attack one unit... this caused them to start chasing in a line but kept on bumping into each other. I do this when i fight cavs, and it's really funny because i lose 1 unit and they lose a crap load of them...

the other half it was ineffective... it was because they flanked me from the back so retreating back didn't go so well... lol

posted 11-15-05 08:06 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
    Dragoons and Skirmishers beat what they counter effectivly by just standing there, and they are better at hitting and running than crossbowmen because they have a greater range and and speed then what they counter. Crossbowmen don't beat what they counter as effectivly, and they are worse at hitting and running because they don't have a much greater range than janissaries and they are not faster. Seems unfair to me.
    posted 11-15-05 08:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
    why are crossbowmen counters to janissaris ?
    posted 11-15-05 01:01 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
    curufir: light infantry > heavy infantry

The problem is that jans are very powerful heavy infantry. Can't go toe to toe with landsknechts (sp?) or dopples (didn't try sp) but there will be many jans and few Uber German infantry.

Mokon: if I came online it wouldn't be much fun for either of us. I'm as slow as a grandmother who never used a mouse (except to amuse a cat).

posted 11-16-05 03:03 AM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
    curufir: light infantry > heavy infantry

that's because light infantry mostly have a bonus against heavy ones, but crossbows don't (or am I wrong ?)

If I'm not wrong :

Janissary : Costs : 100F 25C (No Wood !)
    HP 235
    Ranged : 22 (12)
    Melee : 18 ( 0)

Crossbow : 20F 60W
    HP 100 (Res.20%) -> 120 HP
    Ranged : 18 (16)
    Melee : 7 ( 0)

That's not what I call a counter.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by curufir (edited 11-16-2005 @ 03:18 AM).]

posted 11-16-05 03:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
    What would you counter Janissaries with then? I think crossbows are your best bet with germans, atleast in colonial. Since I often face ottoman opponents I think I will give up germans for now.
    posted 11-16-05 03:40 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
    Just mass crossbows and raid his food gatherers with Uhlans. Your economy is much better than his so eventually he will lose.
    posted 11-16-05 04:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
    curufir: I'm pretty sure X-bows have a bonus against light inf. Otherwise you're right, they would be pretty hopeless.

However, what do you do if the Ottoman is smart and goes for Abus Guns or Grenadiers? No amount of "uber micro" will let you take those out with cavalry if he properly guards them with Jans. I think the key is to damage the Ottoman himself with Uhlans for raiding and possibly Landsknechts or Doppelsoldners for taking out buildings. If you kill a few of his houses or villagers he'll have a lot of trouble sustaining millitary production.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 11-16-05 05:18 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
    Last night I faced a guy who did the old "hosting a game with level 8 Brits", so I joined and decided to try my level 6 Germans instead of my higher level Ports. At the last second he switched to level 36 Otto before he clicked ready, so I couldn't change to something better. Anyway, I didn't cry about it. Instead I beat him into submission. :P

One thing I have to agree with is that raiding with the free ulhans is tougher than it sounds. You get a little too close to the TC and before you know it, you're one down. If the Otto player doesn't have to venture far from home for his resources, the Ulhans will die. Generally, I just assume that he's starting out with the same resource base as I am. So if I see theres a tonne of resources within TC range, then I get the xbows before the Ulhans, and maybe even an Eco upgrade or VW's instead after the xbows. Then I may be inclined to turtle up a little bit.

At any rate, I've used the xbows to do a nice job on the jannies, but I agree that they're and expensive unit to use because of the wood. Doppels are great, but are actually about double the cost and pop of xbows. I do however try to mix a couple in with my xbows, or send the free ones to harass villies, or take out houses where possible.

posted 11-16-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
    Germans are the worst civ to go against the Ottoman Jan rush. The Jan's can go into melee mode and just chase the Crossbowmen down and cut them to pieces. The reinforced Jan's can fire from range against anything else that comes out. To stop the Jan rush, you need Musketeers and Crossbowmen, and prevent the Jan's from going into Melee mode.

However, Germans don't get Musketeers.

Once the initial threat of Crossbowmen are met, all the Ottoman has to do is destroy the Barracks and focus on killing the TC and any vils.

posted 11-16-05 06:45 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
    Matei: Crossbowmen don't have any bonuses. It was actually in a game against you I though my crossbowmen lost a bit too much. I think pure crossbowmen should beat pure Janissaries. They should only get screwed once hussars, grenadiers or abus show up, which they do. The way it is they don't really beat anything without heavy micro to take advantage of their range.
    posted 11-16-05 06:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
    Yeah as Capitan said, you need musketeers with crossbows. I actually never even knew germany didn't get musketeers until I read this thread...
    posted 11-16-05 09:21 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
    Two things.

1) Include speed next time when comparing jans to cbows, corrrect me if I"m wrong, but cbows are faser and out range, so hit, run, hit, run, and don tlose a single one :P

2) I'm sick of people saying to go into meelee, jans move even slower in meelee, and all you have to do is just fire, run, fire, run, and the jans will be even slower at catching you.

The real threat of the ottoman is abus guns.

posted 11-17-05 06:21 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
    Crossbows have a speed of 4, so they are just as fast as a janissary. Their range is 16, compared to janissaries 12. I don't think janissaries speed is changed when you put them into melee, but they will stop for a second when you press the melee button. If you don't watch over your crossbows they can get slaugthered by melee janissaries, but if you bump and run with your crossbows I think you should be able to slaughter them.

And you're right, the real threat is abus, so couldn't crossbows atleast get a chance untill the abus appear?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » German vs Ottoman
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames