You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Since I haven't seen many French rushes posted, here's mine
posted 11-15-05 09:34 AM EDT (US)   
This will totally decimate noobs, and put Intermediates who aren't prepared for it on the defensive for the whole game. It probably won't work against an expert unless you are really good at micro (the rush uses mainly muskets and their range is dismal). Anyway, here it is.

French Musket Rush

1. Send 4 of your first 6 coureurs immediately to the nearest huntable. Send the remaining two coureurs to start unpacking your food crates, and do the shift-right click on ONLY the food crates to make sure they unpack those first.
2. Send your native scout and your explorer to explore the map. Be on the lookout for WOOD treasures first, these are the most important as wood gathers the slowest of all resources. Plus, if you can pull this off right, you won't even need much wood. If wood treasures are not available or are guarded by powerful creatures try to find a gold or food treasure guarded by 3 wolves. The more experience you can get quickly the better.
3. As soon as you have the 120 food required to make another coureur, press T and then V to queue one up, and send one of the crate unpackers to hunting. Shift-click on all of the remaining crates with your remaining vill, press e and then hold shift to build a house, and then hold shift and click the deer your other guys are hunting. This will make that vill unpack, build a house, and go to the deer automatically.
4. Everyone should go to food. By the time your explorer is too weak to get anymore treasures, you should send him to wait and watch near one of the enemies' closest trading posts. Hopefully you can get one up in Colonial before they can, or if not, at least take their second one so they can't get two.
5. Your indian scout should be scouting in a circle around the enemies' base. Try to find far out hunting vills, or wood vills that are far enough from the TC to raid effectively.
6. By the time you have 11 vill pop (including the 2 or 3 that will still be in queue at this time) you should get your first shipment. Pick the 2 coureur card (or 3 if you are lvl10+).
7. The coureurs should come out while your last vill is being made, and if timed right you will have the 800 food either halfway before the vill is done or maybe a few seconds after. It's ok to have a few seconds of idle TC time with the french, their econ more than makes up for it. Age up with the 500 wood option.
8. The next few steps will depend heavily on what treasures you found. If you found enough wood to support building 3 more houses, then have one vill build those 3 houses and then send him to a hunting spot nearby the enemy TC. Put 3 or 4 of your food vills on gold and leave them there. Give them a control group so you can easily find them again, you will need them as soon as you hit colonial.
8a. If you were not able to find enough wood treasures, than put 5 vills on wood and build a house everytime you get the 100 wood necessary until you have built 3. Then, send all of the woodies to gold. This should happen no later than 3/4 of the way to advancement.
9. Before you hit Colonial you will have between 700 and 900 food. I usually queue up 5 coureurs in the TC and set the gatherpoint to a nearby wood. This way you will start producing vills as soon as you hit colonial.
10. As soon as you hit colonial, send your gold vills to unpack the 500 wood crate. Shift click on the crate and then shift click back on the mine so that there is no idle time. Then get your 8xbow shipment.
11. As soon as you have 250 wood (shouldn't take more than 4 seconds) have your lone vill hunting near the enemy base build a barracks. When you get the next 250 wood, have your explorer build a trading post, preferrably right near the enemy.
12. Your xbows should arrive right as your barracks is finishing. Give them a control group and send them to the barracks. Select your barracks and queue up 10 muskets (you should have enough resources...if not queue up 5 and however many else and keep adding one each time you get enough resources until you have 10 queued).
13. Your xbows will arrive near the barracks right as your first group of muskets is popping out. Wait until the second group pops out, and queue some more if you can. If you are running low on food but have plenty of gold, send your gold villies to food and set the TC gather point to gold. You really only need about 5 or 6 vills on wood at the beginning, so you should be thinking about switching to more food production anyway.
14. Give the muskets a different control group, and advance your now 18 man strong army towards any enemy vills. A group of 10 muskets and 8 xbows will wreak TOTAL HAVOC on vills if they are microed. He will lose 3 or 4 even if he manages to garrison them in the TC.
15. What you do now depends on what he has done. Since most people aren't really expecting a viable french rush other than the native rush, it can be really devastating. If you hit him before he can mass an effective army, or if his first mil card is Uhlans/Hussars, your muskets can take them out without even getting scathed. If you can defeat his first army with minimal losses, start taking down his TC.
16. Keep in mind that the whole time you are doing this, you are constantly creating vills, and constantly creating more musketeers to swarm his base. If you don't win outright you will need to build a stable and start training a few hussars in case he can get to fortress, while also preparing to hit Fortress ASAP. Also, putting more vills on wood at this point would be a good idea. The musketeer rush loses it's effect by Fortress when one falconet can take down a group of them. But, of course, if you do it right and he can't hit Fortress before you, GG.

Optional Cards:

These are the cards I use for this strategy in the order I use them.

2 coureur
8 xbows
2 outpost wagons (I set the outposts up around my forward barracks in case it is attacked)
furrier

I usually save the rest of my cards for Fortress.
Or I will play the card that makes your Coureur's stronger if he is raiding any. The 2 surgeon card can also help, especially against someone almost as skilled or equal to you.

Leader- OOYA (Odhinn Owns Ye All)

Also check out my band at www.myspace.com/wdreams

Replies:
posted 11-15-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Muskets really aren't that great...
posted 11-15-05 04:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
If there are slightly more muskets than xbows, muskets will own the xbows outright. They take down initial cavalry with ease. 10 muskets will pwn vills with one volley. It's easy to kill 3 or 4 before he can even realize what's going on, and with the backup fire power of the initial xbows it's difficult to amass the gold to stop them, and you really only need to create 10-15 muskets before you would start creating hussars. The hussars will make short work of the xbows he is making to counter your muskets, and the muskets will make even shorter work of the pikemen that he might have to counter your hussars. Then you come in with pikemen while advancing to fortress to start tearing down his base and you've got GG.

Like I said though, this would probably not work vs. an expert. If I am playing someone with higher than 80% win ratio I probably will put more vills on wood and try to offensively boom like I heard Mokon talking about.

posted 11-15-05 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
musket beat poorly microed xbows.... else wise xbows pwn

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 11-15-05 06:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
    Actually only thign muskets do good vs is calvary, they die to xbows, skirms, ranged natives, anything with a decent meelee attack (dopplesoldner), so anything that is ranged or melee they lose vs, and they win light calvary (currasier and lancers win them).
    posted 11-15-05 07:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
    You can surprise an xbow user by putting musketeers in melee mode (xbows suck at melee); however, anyone experienced will know to retreat and spread out in that case. I think the main advantage of the musketeer is its cost though - it takes mostly food, which is the fastest resource to gather, especially if you're rushing and hence have some amount of map control.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 11-15-05 07:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
    meh muskets are ok... i really think that they're good in mass ...

muskets + micro beat anything with melee attaack....

posted 11-15-05 08:29 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
    yeah... i had this happen to me as dutch. he sent about 3 waves of 20-30 muskets. each time he had a different military shipment w/ them. like the 3 hussars, the 8 xbows. my 12 skirms ate him each time. of course, i did take a few losses, but skirms are relatevely easy to replace when your opponent doesnt mix up his troops. i think he resigned after one last attempt when i hit age3.

EDIT:
    i think u summed it up quite well in your first sentence. being prepared is the key to stopping ANY rush. just like g.i.joe, knowing is half the battle. biatches

[This message has been edited by slackman42 (edited 11-15-2005 @ 08:31 PM).]

posted 11-16-05 08:24 AM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
    Like said above, muskets move slowly in meelee mode, so it is very very easy to attack and retreat, fyi muskets were aready slower than xbows without meelee mode, and have greater range, so xbows+micro=deadmuskets.
    posted 11-16-05 11:58 AM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
    Hey guys, try it and see. I won about 45 games using this method when I first started playing French, and I changed it as I started facing better and better players. Like it says in the beginning, this is a rush for Noob and low Inter players. Noobs and low inters usually don't have excellent micro, and alot of the time people aren't really expecting a powerful French rush other than a native rush at about 5:30-6:00. Plus, the French economy means you can have less vills and still keep production up, and easily switch more to gold and start training hussars, or switch some to wood and start training xbows. The element of surprise and the fact that making enough xbows to take out 8 xbows and 10 muskets that are well microed usually means that they will not have enough troops to do any real damage, and if they do, you have enough food and gold in production to start queuing up hussars pretty fast.

It won't work in all cases though, as no strategy always works. This will pwn Brits (especially if you can hit their woodies) Ports, most Dutch players (skirms are way better than muskets and xbows but they also cost more gold, and since Dutch vills also cost gold, I can way outproduce them since muskets only cost a minimum of gold and food. A good dutch player would be able to counter, but I have faced very few of those), and can also counter early German rushes and poor Otto rushes if you have your forward vill build in the middle of the map and take an outpost next to your barracks rather than the trading post. Put your home shipments to send here, get your hussar shipment and start pwning.

I also invite anyone other than Mokon to a game.

posted 11-16-05 12:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
    lordvasa,

I'll look for you online to play a match or two (not because I doubt you or anything). What's your ESO name? Mine's the same as here.

posted 11-16-05 01:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
    GeneralVasa

I'll put you on my friends list. I'd really like to play everyone that posts here, most of the people I end up playing on ESO suck because no one reads the game names that say "no noobs" or "inter+" or "talanos rank 1700+". I've gotten to the point where I will only host games and I make sure and check out what someone's rating is before I play them. Sad.

posted 11-16-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
    I'll do the same.

What I find annoying is when people host a game with a level 1-5 civ and them just before they click ready, they swithc to a level 36 civ. Happened to me last night. I've been trying out ze Germans, so I looked for a match without a huge difference in XP. I know it doesn't necessarily measure skill, but I think that having better cards gives an advantage none the less. Anyway the guy had another civ at a level within 1 or 2 of me and then just before he clicks ready he changes civs, and clicks ready really quickly so I have no chance to change anything if I wanted to. Despite that it turned out to be an okay match, which I ended up winning.

Anyway, I would consider myself to be on the lower end of the intermediate range, but I'd be happy to play and learn.

posted 11-16-05 05:53 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
    Caboto: "Despite that it turned out to be an okay match, which I ended up winning."

Living well may be the best revenge, but winning will do nicely along the way! Well done! [Not that you need to hear that from me!]

posted 11-21-05 02:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
    I appreciate it all the same.
    posted 12-06-05 10:14 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
    I used your staretgy twice. The first time worked beatefuly but the second my enemy started uo to build towers on the perimeter
    of the TC and i coluldn't get thru so I used all my resources and rapidly atacked what's next
    What sould I do ? Should I Give Up that Quikly ?
    posted 12-07-05 08:28 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
    Well I dont see the point of even using Muskets (unless one expects to be counted by horses), why not just mass Archers?, sure Wood is precious, but you get the 500 wood for aging and can use a 600 wood card if you really wanted to.
    posted 01-03-06 09:32 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
    Nice post. I'll be sure to give this strat a shot, it seems like a pretty effective French rush. Could you post some important times for the strat, like around when to hit the age up button so I can see if I'm doing it fast enough? I like to try out new strats on Skirmish b4 I take them online
    posted 01-03-06 12:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    Vasa were you been havent seen you on lately. I wouldnt advise any kind of musket rush vs Dutch. Im sure you know that but not some poeple that may read this.

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems

Homer J

posted 02-10-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    Well.. IT will work HC Level 10 <, < 1900

But when Merc FF come in lol

"Be being human is so OP" - Someone
    posted 02-10-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  

Quote:

I wouldnt advise any kind of musket rush vs Dutch.

When I first started playing russians I made the fatal mistake of musket rushing the dutch. Needless to say, the results weren't pretty

|Ca_aok|HG Seraph wannabe|
    |{ca_aok@hotmail.com}|
    |{ESO2: [EEX] ca_aok}|
    O-- Member of EEX, and former member of LKS --O
    In the Darkness, there is Light, in the Old, there is New.
    From the Void a New Star rises, Shining down for Me and You.
    posted 02-10-06 09:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    What if you did
    1. get the 250 wood early and build a tp asap so as to have 2 shipments in colonial so you can get early skrims, mass skirms instead of muskets AND still get your 8 xbows? In a normal game I can advance at 5min and get early skrim (2nd shipment) as soon as a i advance WITHOUT a TP.

"The lembas had a virtue without which they would long ago have lain down to die. . . . this waybread of the Elves had a potency that increased as travelers relied on it alone and did not mingle it with other foods. It fed the will, and it gave strength to endure, and to master sinew and limb beyond the measure of mortal kind."

• "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" by J.R.R. Tolkien

• Hit 2100+ cuetech rating on Sunday, April 17th, 2006

posted 03-26-06 11:44 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    This strategy is awesome, I've been using this ever since I've read it and perfected it. I've beaten quite a few experts with it too actually. I've only lost 5 times using it out of like 30. Thanks!
    posted 03-27-06 00:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    this strat wont work at all... it was pre ff craze.... Just get MM and u r all set vs it. And I doubt u have beaten experts with it aveng...

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 03-27-06 00:37 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    hm...

not bad, but not that good; could be better. my two cents:

3 hussars > 8 xbow. especially for musket rush. army's more diversified. attack with musks in the front and while the enemy's army dukes it out with yours, hussars sneak around the back door for villie pwnage raiding action

TP is unnessecary. in fact, the rush will probably be faster without it. coulda been two houses, or some pikes, or that rax. take out the TP, and see how it goes.

i say take out hostile units, like MM, with musks, and then transfer to pike swarm to take out key infrastructure. ie TC. pike swarm to hit TC to prevent aging, and expose villies.

personally i prefer native rush. no housing required, leaving much more res to natives. but that's just me.

posted 03-27-06 09:19 AM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    Mokon is right, this strat is almost 5 months old. Make sure you check the creation dates of threads next time to make sure you get recent stuff.

My ESO name is devi0us
    posted 03-27-06 10:22 AM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
    I think its much more damaging to raid with the 3 hussar you can get. You can sometimes kill up to 6 hunters (drastically reducing the enemies eco) away from the enemy base and be left with barely a scratch on your hussars so you can continue to raid even more. I prefer raiding in colonial as opposed to being committed to all out war where the tables can turn at any moment.

A shipment of longbows (im not sure when you can send this card) and minutemen out of the enemy TC can decimate your entire force. So you've spent 750 food/250 gold and they have only spent 200(?) gold, once they start walling and towering as they are heading to fortress you'll be a couple minutes behind. Expect to be punched hard shortly into Fortress.

[This message has been edited by Crakaz (edited 03-27-2006 @ 10:29 AM).]

posted 04-01-06 10:27 AM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    This strategy is old! My first games were the same...what vasa said was a instinct for me.. I think it works depending on micro and how tired u are in that moment ..i'm no expert...but i think it depends on player weaknesses and what strat the other player adopts....but most player repel this kind of rush easily now.
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Since I haven't seen many French rushes posted, here's mine
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames