You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My Russian Rush
posted 11-15-05 09:16 PM EDT (US)   
I have noticed a shortage or actually strategies. I am not posting this for some beginner to take and follow (although it has won me many many games) I want to be critiqued and given some pointers.

Settler 1-5:
Eat the food crates. Start production on the first 3 settlers asap (waypoint on hunting). Then four go off and hunt while one eats the wood crates.

Once wood crate is eaten build a house. Then go hunt.

Settlers 6-11:
Hunt.

First Card: 300 food.

Settlers 12-14:
Eat food card. Chop wood. Build a house.
*note if settlers are close enough move them to eat crates as soon as they are availble which is generally before the last three settlers. Sometimes I wait for the last three settlers and take the TC idle time depending on how far my settlers had to walk to get hunting.

Advance with Quartermaster (500 wood).

Economy:
Food: 11
Wood: 3

Colonial Age:
Second Card: 5 Cossacks (or 4).

Settlers 12-14:
2 eat wood crates, 1 goes and builds a forward blockhouse. Then the 2 build a house or two and then chop more wood.

Settlers 15-17:
Chop Wood.

Once the cossacks arrive start raiding villagers. Go for hunting first if possible especially if you are up against a turk.

Build strelets from your blockhouse and spam his base with them.

Third Card: 13 strelets (you can also get 4 cossacks if you need more raiding ability.)

I keep new settlers on wood untill I have 12-14. Then I put three on gold and put more into food.

What do you guys think. It is not much, but it has worked for me. I want it to work better though.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
Replies:
posted 11-15-05 10:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Bah for some reason when I'm french I cant stop a 40 strelet rush.I refuse to play russians now.
posted 11-15-05 10:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
strelets are one of the easiest units to stop :s, 10 ponies and bye bye strelets...

TGE

TGE's RTS Blog, news, thoughts, and advice on RTS gaming

Able Company (my job)

"I've kicked more ass on accident than most people have on purpose"

posted 11-15-05 10:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Hussars >> Stretlets.
Hussars >> Cossacks.

Simply scout a russians gold mine, no gold miners = no musketeers = insta loss against hussars.

You definately want to mix a few musketeers in your army otherwise you won't get very far with that strategy. I routinely kill russians who just mass stretlets with ease.

Those that mix musketeers in with the stretlets are a different story.

posted 11-15-05 10:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
imo strelets = pure weak, might be irritatin when used to raid villagers with cossacks, but hussars skirms janis minuteman...and other units can easily own them, not to include towers n tc fire. they cant take down buildings protected by troops. i wld reco you try to include grenadiers?

maybe harrass him asap with cossacks n some strelts but mass strelets muskeets with some nadiers would be nasty. gotta need gold thou..

posted 11-16-05 01:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
Strelets look scary, until you realize 10 of them can shoot together and still fail to kill a villager. 40 Strelets is roughly 4*400 = 1600 resources, which is not that different from 16 musketeers or crossbowmen. If someone attacks you with 16 musketeers are you going to resign?

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 11-16-05 02:16 AM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
russians should boom not rush

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 11-16-05 05:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
    How does that work?

I am herpes.

Pyro Icon
    posted 11-16-05 09:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
    Russians economic advantage does not outweight there military advantage.
    posted 11-16-05 10:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
    Yes, some gold for muskets would greatly benefit me.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    posted 11-17-05 01:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
    Strelets are pwned by Coureurs lol. You can't beat them as French?

Leader- OOYA (Odhinn Owns Ye All)

Also check out my band at www.myspace.com/wdreams

posted 11-17-05 03:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
    I have beaten several french. They way I see it is if courers are owning strelets then I am hurting his economy.

-Benjamin Franklin
    posted 11-17-05 08:12 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
    Haha a funny thing is, one time I took 10 fully upgraded coureur de bois, and then killed 33 strleet wihtout one loss :P
    posted 11-17-05 10:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
    I play as the Russians, I use strelets early, but I dont rush with them. They get pwnded by just about anything. They are helpful in defending a rush tho. I usually boom. I only rush if I am certain I am playing a weak opponent. Once you hit age 3 you should forget that srelets are one of your options imo.

My first card is the team furrier card. 2nd is 600 wood (I wait until age 2) 3rd is 13 strelet card. From there it all depends on the situation.

posted 11-18-05 02:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
    Man, i play exactly te same^^

I just read it and was suprised other people play it to^^

This tactic ownz^^

This was my bad English^^
    posted 11-27-05 01:35 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
    Strelets are the ultamite skirmisher replacement, they are cheap and kick most heavy infantry ass. However you need to make sure of one thing: GET UPGRADES the most crucial ones are strelet combat and the ones at the advanced arsenal also be sure to upgrade them when you age up. A fully upgraded age 3 strelet is about as effective as a skirmisher for a quarter of the price. Also the WORST thing you can do is only spam strelets, they NEED to ba backed up with other units. Another thing you can do with strelets is use them as a MASSIVE meat shield around a core of mercs or other more pwerful units ex. cannons, grenadeirs, etc.

To Love ones self is the begining of a lifelong romance.
    www.freewebs.com/oldelpasogame
    posted 11-27-05 04:06 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
    I usually use 20 Strelets and 20 Musketeers, ( makes a wonderfull offense) I also use 10 pikemen and 10 Cossacks with a few canons in the back. Works good for me. Their are a few stragedys depending on what situation your in. When I play very hard I use my strelet and musketeer cards as fast as I could to destroy the oncoming offensive. Then I focus on building my offensive stragedy.
    posted 11-27-05 04:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
    Stretlets are good for raiding. In masses they're very good too. Just don't put em anywhere near cannons... unless, like me, you like seeing a huge bunch of men go flying, literally.

http://ratings.fearclan.net/SexyRider,7.png

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 11-27-2005 @ 04:37 PM).]

posted 11-27-05 04:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
    Can anyone tell me what is a good russian unit to deffend my canons, tryed everything but can't figure it out. Theoretically it is suppose to be a horse archer because they are good against cavalery and cavalery is what kills canons faster than anything else, but in practise they s..k badly.
    posted 11-27-05 07:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
    Halberdiers are excellent against cav. If they have cannons too, like lots of cannons, the Russians will drop like flies no matter what you use. So instead of fighting head on, get Opris and Cav Archers. Use the Cav Archers to protect the Opris until they can bring down the whole base. Trust me, they will. Or, if you don't feel like raping their buildings, rape their villies. Split your Opris, some go after buildings, some go after vils. It's devastating, especially if you are lvl 10+ and have Advanced Arsenal (pillage makes Opris the Cavalry equivalent of Mortars).

"I found no one ripe for many of my thoughts; the case of 'Zarathustra' proves that one can speak with the
    utmost clearness, and yet not be heard by any one." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    "The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave."
    Oprichniks are the best units in AoE3. Why? It's elementary, they're Horse-riding Russian Pirates, nothing beats Horse-riding Russian Pirates.

[This message has been edited by Insane Sheep (edited 11-27-2005 @ 07:07 PM).]

posted 11-28-05 01:30 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
    Thank you, i'll try that.
    posted 11-29-05 02:28 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
    ok i know this sound dumb, but when i advance to 2nd age i only have 2 choics of who to advance through. so my question is how do i find the 3rd who gives you the 600 wood?
    posted 11-29-05 02:46 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
    "ok i know this sound dumb, but when i advance to 2nd age i only have 2 choics of who to advance through. so my question is how do i find the 3rd who gives you the 600 wood?"

http://www.gamereplays.org/aoe3/?nameid=AoE3_Russia_Age

posted 11-29-05 06:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
    Shizam: you have to be at least level ten to get the quartmaster politician.

-Benjamin Franklin
    posted 11-30-05 10:53 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
    Jeffrey: I know, but instead of just saying "level 10," I sent him to the Russian Politician Guide on a seperate site so he could find out himself. After all, giving someone the means to answer their own question and possibly future questions is much better than just answering the question at hand.
    posted 11-30-05 03:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
    strelets are too weak...

see you in eso! eso names KingCarlosV, Angelface38, IamCarlos
    posted 12-01-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
    If a Russian rush ever emerges I hereby copyright the term "Rushian".
    posted 01-09-06 07:16 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
    rah-rah rushin
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » My Russian Rush
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames