You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A portuguese-french rush...
posted 11-20-05 04:40 AM EDT (US)   
At level 25 the french get a "Team Early Skirmisher" card that enables them to get skirmishers an age early. It also lets portuguese get cassadors an age early.

Portuguese are often referred to as the worse civ mostly because of their inability to rush. They have no age 2 military edge. My thought with this is that a french ally could get this card and then let the portuguese rush with cassadors.

Cassadors waste infantry with their high attack and bonus so it could block other infantry rushes. The longer range (compared to muskets or strelets) would let them pluck off villagers. At 25 food and 90 gold the portuguese should still be able to mantain constant villager production (from both tc's) since most of the cost is in gold.

Obviously this strat has its disadvantages. One is the french guy has to use a card that does not give him units early (probably his second or third card) so it slows down a rush on his part. Not to mention you need a french ally who is level 25 (fortunately I have one). Also calvary would make quick work of cassadors, but at the same time musketeers could be mixed in. Having to put so many villagers on gold so early could force this rush into being a slower one.

Also the french and portuguese are hard to rush. If the portuguese tc is built in range of the first a tower or two added in that town is solid until age 3 and the french have those super vills.

My thoughts are to have the intial vills on food till you have the 800 food to age up. First card is the 300 food card (another option would be the 300 gold card, but that would mean you take longer to advance). Maybe a 11-13 settler colonial. Once aged have 5 on food and rest on wood. Once you have enough for a few houses and a rax move 3-5 on food (making to the total food 8-10 which should be ample for settler production and cassador production) and move the rest to wood.

Once colonial age make the first card the 600 or 700 gold card. Pump out cassadors. Have one tc put vills on wood, another put vills on gold.

I shooting this idea out to people who are smarter than I am. What do you guys think?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin

[This message has been edited by Jeffrey (edited 11-20-2005 @ 04:45 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-20-05 05:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 3  
I dont know if the French player having to use a card to gain early access to such a powerhouse would be considered a disadvantage at all O_O. Skirmies > all in age 2, and for the most part > all for the whole game. I mean not sending for units may seem like a disadvantage to some but then you must realize skirmies will blow away anything else-so they are a far better buy than the 8 xbows or 3 hussars although it may not look like it at first glance.

Ofcourse if you still feel its a slight disadvantage realize also that they will still have access to natives (free shipment card just pwns) and also that natives cost wood not gold.

Ill serve your ass like John McEnroe
posted 11-20-05 05:15 AM EDT (US)     2 / 3  
Well the french dude could get three hussars and start raiding his enemy. That would be a very effective use of that card. It is a disadvantage that you don't get any units from it and it may be critical to do so, example: the french dude is running late and gets rushed and needs defenses. It is a disadvantage to this strategy. Something like that could ruin the whole show. Is it an advantage, yes... the whole concept is based off that card, but like all things it has its disadvantages.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-20-05 05:23 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3  
Well I mean 3 hussars are fun, dont get me wrong I love the card but I mean realistically..if you are playing someone who knows what they are doing you may only grab a villager-all the whole ignoring your base due to commanding your hussars.

Now you mention the French getting rushed and needing to defend...WHAT BETTER UNIT IS THERE TO DEFEND THAN SKIRMISHERS? Also, building in close proximity to the TC/Outposts as you know pretty much will pick off rushing/raiding forces let alone when combined with the Minutemen and the Coureurs. Again I allude to the fact that Natives are just pwnage..I mean by the time you send the Skirmisher card French player should have a healthy pile of natives (not only because as I said they own, but if you seriously felt that they needed some sort of standing army to deal with a rush..I suppose you can insert natives in there, although I personally feel that they shine when rushing your opponent).

Ill serve your ass like John McEnroe
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A portuguese-french rush...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames