You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: French Defensive Boom
posted 11-22-05 09:01 PM EDT (US)   
I've been looking for a French Strat for a long time and never seemed to find one that fits, so I said to myself "Why don't you stop trying to freeload off others and write your own darn strat!" So I did... This is my first try at ever writing a strat so if it sucks give me some tips to make it better. I know it doesn't work on every single map against every single civ but it's a pretty good base strat. Here goes nothing...

Discovery Age

I tried to keep it simple in discovery seeing as players of any level can get to colonial at a decent time (well, most of them ) but I laid down a few base laws.

-Explore the map & collect tresures (go figure)

-7 to 8 Courers on food

-3 to 4 on wood

-You should recieve a shipment just as you have the resources to age up. Use the highest Courer card you have and put them on whatever you need (guidelines above)

-Age up when you recieve the resources

Transition

-Build Market and Research techs as the resources come

Colonial Age

-Always pump out Courers (this is the key to any boom strat) and spread the to all resources.

-All wood colected goes to 1 barracks, houses, and towers (towers being very impotant for anti-rush support)

-Remember just because you french dosen't mean your un-rushable (thus the towers) always expect the worst!

-unless you are rushed simply get your troops from cards for added defense (your barracks is just an extra precaution!)

-If you are rushed make a hand full of troops from you barracks to fend it off (this will slow your boom but after the initial attack you should have proper defense!)

-Focus on the resources to advance (food & gold, we're going for a fast fortress)

-Card to use: 8 Crossbowman (nice raid stoppers), Pioneers (Raid insurance), 2 Outposts (Courer protection), Any other troops needed to hold off an attack.

-when you get your resources advance

Transition

-Build Stable

-Build houses

-Focus soley on food and gold

Fortress Age

-Alway pump out Courers (once again the key!)

-Start building an army of Curasiers and Skirmishers

-Try and get your fort up ASAP(you can use this as extra base protection or a forward base)

-Focus a little more on wood

-put up an artillery foundry (If you forget this you might have not even played)

-Produce Falconets

-Press constant attacks!(you can even pick up some natives to help you attack)

-Once you wave of currasiers, skirms & Falconets devastate his armys bring in your 2nd wave & bring down his town (focus on unit production buildings such as barracks or stables or the ultimate prize a juicy fort or TC)

-If your enemy masses cavalry add some dragoons to you mix of troops

-Cards: Fort First! Then whatever preferable.

-If you can't seem to break his defenses slip into the Industrial age and watch his cities burn!

This is all I have and I hope it is helpful to anyone who takes time to read! I've tested it and I think it's a viable strat!

I'll eat your Pikes & Xbows for breakfast
But I'll bet you can't even swallow my Curasiers!
Let's watch your empire burn to rubble!

-Caspian IV

[This message has been edited by Caspian245 (edited 11-22-2005 @ 11:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-22-05 10:29 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Good strategy. But I have two concerns/innacuracies.

First, I am concerned about the 3 to 4 coureurs on wood in the Discovery Age. For a fast colonial advance, this is not advised until you are aging up. Food is key; you need it to make coureurs and to advance. Wood should not be a priority at this point in my opinion, as the most useful things to fend off a rush are available in the Colonial age, not the Discovery age.

Secondly, mortars are not available until the industrial age. This makes destroying an enemy town a bit more difficult in the fortress age, and in my opinion, a defensive boom should reach for the fourth age anyway to utilize this expensive yet devastating unit. I think that a major offensive should wait until the timing is pefect and your economy is strong, but i'm all for applying constant pressure in the fortress age too.

Also, I have been wondering what the ideal number of coureurs would be (at some point you have to stop making them). For this strat, how many would you make?

posted 11-22-05 11:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
My wood Courers in the discovery age are from the card (by the time it comes i'm already about to age up). I usally stop at aruond 45-50 courers in fortress if I go to industrial i'll usally make 10 more. Sorry about the mortars.. I'll edit.

I'll eat your Pikes & Xbows for breakfast
But I'll bet you can't even swallow my Curasiers!
Let's watch your empire burn to rubble!

-Caspian IV

posted 11-23-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
If you have currasir + skirm, faclonets are really uselss, currasier will destroy falconets with ease, adn then pick off some light infantry, and your skirms will destroy heavy infantry and ranged calvary, and curraiser will destroy meelee calvary.

Currasier + skirm works just as well and falconets are fairly expensive...

Also I know this is disputable, but IMHO if you want to go to fortress, put like 4 guys (max) on wood while you transitioning to t2 (still build market) and have rest on food and gold, and use the policitician card for 500 food, this way you can still make a much better t3 time and prevent a possible rush much faster, and still make 1 outpost (all you need, gold next to tc, and 1 outpost for hunting).

Also, sine coureurs work 20% faster, the max number is 80, so therefore there hsould be nothing holding you back from booming to max pop, you may have 20-30% weaker military, but you'll be able to get to the industrial age and imperial age faster, and in the imperial age, the upgrades improve everything you have by 50%, and that is a huge huge difference. Also with a better economy you can produce currasier non stop from 2-3 stables which surprisingly, will take all 80 vils to do, and will still have you short on resources if you are constantly losing army

posted 12-17-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
I think maybe you should send first the TC, since it helps you make more coureurs and have a faster boom than if you send the fort; you can always have skirms and a couple of cavalry to defend for a while and then send the fort card, trust me you get a much better boom than if you only have one TC.
posted 12-17-05 08:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Great Strat ! The Key vs The Russian Rush is to hold the attacks and keep ageing
Wich I Find Particulary Difficult. I Could Really Use some Pointers on this matter
posted 12-25-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Not sure I should post since helping people you dont know sometimes comes back to bite ya. I avoided french a long time since i dont like to use popular civs but finally gave em a try and really like em.

your strat needs some work though.

age 1

All villies on food. no exceptions.
build 1 house.
send the 3 villie card.
should have around 12-14 villies by 3 min mark when you hti the button to advance.
Important=choose the 500 wood option on advancement.

transition.

3 villies to gold.
4 to wood.
rest on food.

age 2

suck up that 500 wood asap.
drop 2 houses, barracks and market.
send 6 xbow.
create villies non stop adding to gold initially.
when you close on 1k gold reallocate more workers to food to hit 1200.
with spare wood drop 1 tower, build 1 more house.
make spare troops if you expect a fast rush. if not age fast and choose the 7 skirms option for age 3.

transition

reallocate off gold some to wood and food if needed. now is when your gonna start booming and adding defenses. build stable asap.

age 3

send tc card first.
keep creating villies steady.
if you havent, do market upgrades.
make 5 curriassers for raiding or defense.
make a few falconets when you can.
build more towers and send fort.
have your farms and plantations mixed in with your fort, tcs and towers.
walling key spots on certain maps is very good.
get 2 full farms going in age 3.
lots of villies on mining.
advance to age 4.

age 4.

if you have made it to this point realtively unscathed as french you are going to be in a good position.
have at least 3 full farms and plantations in age 4.
do hand cav upgrade in arsenal.
upgrade curiassers and falconets.
hit max pop with around 80-90 villies, cuiriassers, falconets and 2 mortars.
go and wreak havoc lol.
hit age 5 if you need to and do more upgrades. if not, then youve already won.

mili strats.
someone said it is better to use skirms then falconets. I dont think so but to each their own. both are effective.
However, there are a few reasons why i prefer falconets.
1. if you choose to go on offense in age 3 with heavy cav and falconets, falconets are alot better at takign down buildings like towers. french cav dont get bonuses to buildings im aware of like some others. skirms are poor against builings.
2. age 3 muskets arent that great but will still hurt your cav. with skirms you have to do some microing to be really effective against heavy inf. however, 3-6 falconets will pound a good group of muskets without microing. your cav is then only need to protect the seige from other cav or charging enemy seige.
3. if they have alot of skirms then falconets own them too and they are really toast.
4. if they go hand cav then you heavy cav is gonna be better and can put a hurting on their cav. also, 4 falconets will do some decent dmg to light cav before they close to them. alot more then skirms running away from hussars with curriasers chasing them are gonna do.

either way, imo, falconets are the way to go. keeping a few muskets with them is not a bad idea but you dont need alot.

Osheal

posted 12-26-05 08:25 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
can I send a card "advanced arsenal"??
And i remember a upgrade that make cavalry x1.3 vs buildings.

And I found a card that can make 2 upgrades in church.
Is it needed to call out Young Guard is 2nd age?

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » French Defensive Boom
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames