You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Defense and using hot spots.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-23-05 00:09 AM EDT (US)   
Most of you guys are probably to young to remember age of empires. No not 2 or 3, but the orignal. Well in the orignal age of empires you only had one type of building in which to deposit your resources from villagers. Storage Pits I think was what they were called (it has been ages for me).

Anyway, since it was only one building finding hotspots was an encouraged idea. Hot spots was where you had 2 or more resources in one location. This way you only had to build one building and you can get two resources without wasting valuable villager seconds.

The best defense for your villagers is towers. Some may moan because towers don't provide enough attack, but what they do however is provide a refuge for your vills so they don't get attacked and they don't have to walk all the way back to the tc getting mowed down on the trip.

So there are no resource gather points in aoe3, but all the experts agree that towers are critical for success. What I am suggesting here is that you find hot spots to build your towers. Maybe wood and gold so that your vills can be safe and secure and you can in turn save resources or use those towers someplace more valuable.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
Replies:
posted 11-23-05 01:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
There were graneries too in AoE, and they were neccecery to collect all types of food exept for meat.
posted 11-23-05 01:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
That is true, but it has been a while. And that does not detract from the concept I am trying to promote.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-23-05 03:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
Solid info - agreed, but 101 stuff for Agers nowadays.

Curious on your signature:

Quote:

"...I am the smartest person alive. With everything that I am I love God..."

^^^
I don't understand your sig. Perhap you can help me understand.
^^^
Are you saying that:
You are smarter then God?
OR:
God is not alive?
Assuming your a honest man, which is it?

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
posted 11-23-05 03:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
funny , looks like Jeffrey needs to adjust his sig if he loves God so much hehe

Famous Quotes
"I was attacked by dogs in discovery" - holymolyfrijole
"...they can own crossbowmans when they come from behind..." - ElitE_TactiC
Strelets are the best infantry in the game. - Jeffrey
posted 11-23-05 10:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
I never said this was a new exciting concept, just a good solid concept. In my experience the HG communities have had more newbies then other communities and can benefit from these sorts of posts.

And yes I am the smartest person alive. God is not alive, for someone to be alive he must be born and God was never born. God always was, is, and will be. Touche, Touche.

-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-23-05 10:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 35  

Quoted from jeffery:

And yes I am the smartest person alive. God is not alive, for someone to be alive he must be born and God was never born. God always was, is, and will be. Touche, Touche.

im sorry, i thought vanity was one of the seven deadly sins. i must be mistaken, seeing as how you're smarter than i am and all. also, i would contend that not only is god not simply someone, but something. and something must not always be born to be alive. trees are alive, yet they weren't "born." and if something, or someone for that matter, is not alive, it is then considered to be dead. so if god is not alive, then god is dead. if you are the smartest person alive, why are you worshipping a dead god?

posted 11-23-05 11:03 AM EDT (US)     7 / 35  

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
posted 11-23-05 01:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
Speaking of llamas,

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05326/610474.stm

Guess the Monty Python skit was no joke!

posted 11-23-05 01:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  

Quote:

i must be mistaken, seeing as how you're smarter than i am and all.

You are.

-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-23-05 01:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
gg against the Bears, jeffrey
posted 11-23-05 02:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35  
You could also bring resources to your TC.

My website
Play Odd Man In, the web based game of guns and game theory!
My HG career summed up in one post
posted 11-23-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
I still have no respect for the bears. Should we meet in the playoffs (and it is very likely) the Panthers will win. I am interested to see who will get homefield advantage and first round byes.

-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-23-05 04:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
this is kinda getting off topic
posted 11-23-05 04:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Not really. Just think of the Bear-Panthers as an analogy - just designate anywhere Steve Smith goes as a "hotspot" and tower it up. Instant shut-down of all downfield raiding.

posted 11-23-05 04:38 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
I loved AOE I - pound for pound was ahead of its time more than most other games .. ever. I never played Ao2/aok/aot/aom (?) whatever the f they/it was/were called

Definitely a good idea to tower your hotspots -- I like to find a gold+wood hotspot and send a villy to herd nearest huntables toward it before assigning to whatever resource is most needed of the three. Even if huntables are aplenty elsewhere early on, this will come in handy later if an even game develops. The huntables like to stray, so within a minute or two i usually pull one off gold/wood to keep em near

lol @ U_Pain. Think of the bears as a defensive booming dutch and the Panthers as an ineffective Ottoman rush

[This message has been edited by lemuri (edited 11-23-2005 @ 04:41 PM).]

posted 11-23-05 06:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
hippo will do a better job then me as he gets off on this stuff, but as a Christian myself, I find your remarks a bit questionable for mostly the same reason as slackman.

your saying that God is not alive?
I'm not sure which denomination you represent, but Christiantiy? -- God is EVERYTHING (inluding you) Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Muslim - The Bible tells us that God is like you said, all that was and is or ever will be. He created it all, including you. God is the most powerful, perfect, and knowledgable being. Whether you believe that jesus DIED for our sins or not.

No matter the conception of God -the father - son - holy ghost, whatever, God is everything - even the faith itself, your being, you breath, - everything is God, as like you said: God is everything that was, is and will be. As mentioned your exhibiting one of the main sins from the Bible, no? Vanity is a particularly bad one as it also shows a lack of compassion.

I find your statement about God not being alive offensive, not because you don't understand, but because as a self-labeled Christian - you misrepresent Christians in more places then this forum I'm sure. Its people like you with "I kick ass" "I am the smartest person alive" "and God isn't alive either" that turns people off of the faith. As it stands now you are a negative to the faith. I hope you will take the time to look past yourself so that you can evaluate your beliefs properly.

posted 11-23-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
Carolina? The Bears?
Carolina plays in a weak division by far & in the weakest conference to boot. I can guarantee you no playoff wins. The Bears are what Caroline used to be, Seattle, Dallas and the Giants are all better teams.
IMO, the bears are too unpredicatable as they have not experienced success in so long. If the Cowboys can beat Denver tomorrow night then I would pick them as the NFC conference title holder, otherwise, the Giants or Bears.
Giants or Cowboys
Seahawks or Bears
Carolina and Atlanta and Tampa Bay
Those are more accurate ratings.
posted 11-23-05 06:53 PM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
I don't think anyone implied(orthought) anything about new & exciting regarding hot spots. There's no way for you to know this as a newer member, so don't sweat it

Back to off-topic :/

Quote:

Since your calling God a he, and "love" North Carolina, I think we can guess your faith as Christian.

"God is not alive"
So if God is not alive - is he dead? I'm guessing your saying neither. so I guess you say: "He's special" because you haven't really thought about it. Sammy and slackman brought up a good point here. I don't know many (any?) Christians that share that view.

Do you really believe that God is not alive? This kind of begs the question: (perhaps you can answer)

If God is not alive, then he is indeed not perfect or all powerful. For any perfect or all-powerful being would not be lacking in anything, right??? Hence - why most followers of western religion would not agree with your radical view here. It undermines their faith.

I'm not here to preach to you, I'm just saying that you may want to revisit your conception of God as portrayed in your sig/posting. I save my preaching for strategies

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.
posted 11-23-05 07:03 PM EDT (US)     19 / 35  

Quote:

IMO, the bears are too unpredicatable as they have not experienced success in so long.

Tell me about it ~ 20 frickin yrs worth (except for a fluke 13-3 a few years ago). They are an upstart and Carolina was its first real test. Way to early to predict how far the bears will go. Can the Seahawks finally bring it home? They are due. Poor Donovan/Philly, that was painful to watch. Giants/Cowboys still spotty after their losses to weak teams, but maybe Eli can get it together for the playoffs.

AFC will win this year anyway. Colts are nasty. Would be cool to see the Manning bros meet up

According to others here, God knows all. Let's ask him/her? Man you could make a killing in Vega$ with God in your corner

posted 11-23-05 07:26 PM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
All you fundies are idiots. You are offended by the truth - God is dead! Nietzsche was correct! Jeffery is the Ubermensch!

GLORY

posted 11-23-05 07:46 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
lol

Quote:

Jeffery is the Ubermensch!

No that would be me
Anyway, Jeffrey said he loved god with "Everything that I am" While I am just practicing method without really positing anything :P I'm just in here lookin fer the truth - so I doubt he is the Ubermensch - if anything Jeffrey is the biggest fundy in this thread. Your making this too esoteric anyhoo :/, not everyone can be as smart as you GLORY :/ Also Nietzsche did his sister for umpteen years and went insane, so if he had things right, then I don't want to be right! still funny reply though smartarse

posted 11-23-05 08:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
*reads the first post*
*reads the replies*
*thinks "WTF?"*
*decides to leave*
*stops*
To be on topic, they arent that many "hot spots" around in my opinion. Most maps are pretty open and most towers can go "poof" with a few cannons. Their best use would be to prevent rushers/protect major reasorces. Most small raiding forces would not be able to take down the tower. And there are very few choke points on most of the maps.
*walks away briskly before somebody decides to launch a Crusade or an Inquisition on him*
Wierdos. Take your holy flame wars online through the use of Falconets.

ESO- Whitecrow
Rusky wave attacks ftw!
posted 11-23-05 08:04 PM EDT (US)     23 / 35  

Quote:

AFC will win this year anyway. Colts are nasty. Would be cool to see the Manning bros meet up

According to others here, God knows all. Let's ask him/her? Man you could make a killing in Vega$ with God in your corner

I'll take any God in my corner anyday.

Aa a massive football fan:
Yeah, I defintely agree, it still is all about the AFC. I do like the Bears a lot. Run, Defense. I certianly did not expect that, you Chicago fans have got to be estatic. As a Denver fan, I know all about years of disappointment and the ulimate feeling of redmeption. For people (under 40) their is no better feeling overcoming the mountain. And in the Broncos case, their mountain was the highest. But yeah, I think Glove is accurate, albeit the Giants were very lucky when they beat Denver. We dominated them all game and Eli & company came back & with turover scored with 2 seconds left :/ Seattle has got to be hungry. And the giants and dallas can win "any given sunday", the bears have what it takes, but I think a lot of their recent excellence is their spirit/heart. That can only beat so much talent. In the NFC they stand as much of a chance as anyone, considering what most of us thought going into this year, they are stellar.

While I am a little bias, I think this year it will be the Broncos or the Colts now that NE is finally out of the pic. While I do think the Colts are the best team in the NFL, ironically, the broncos suffering crushing defeats to the colts in the playoffs the last two years might be the very thing that Denver needs to overcome the Colts this year. Whatever the case, it should be the colts & denver in the afc championship (which is really the superbowl this year barring upset/injury.

posted 11-23-05 08:24 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
To everyone who commented about God: You are taking me way to seriously. Ok. Just chill out ok, I am kidding. I really don't think I am the smartest person alive, I am just a pompous prick and put that into my sig.

Quote:

Carolina plays in a weak division

You officially know nothing about football. Carolina plays in one of the strongest divisions. We have 3 teams that have legitmate playoff hopes. All the experts refer to the NFC South as one of the toughest divisions. Do you even know who is in the NFC South (besides carolina obviously)? You quote the giants as a better team. Who won against the vikings? Case shut. The seahawks are darn good, so are the cowboys, but you have no reason to say they are better than the panthers other than seatle has a better record. At the same time look at seatles record and softness of schedule.

Seatle will have homefield, that is the only garuntee because of the weakness of the bears the nfc north and the toughness of the nfc east and south.

As far as being off topic: oh well.

-Benjamin Franklin
posted 11-24-05 00:07 AM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
^^^
Since you got owned - get on to changing your sig if you want people to take you seriously you pompous prick <-- You owned up to it, so u r fine in my book, but...

Football!!
Football!!
Football!!

Re: Carolina
I think your living in the past.
I don't think we will agree on this, but your blue tinted Panther goggles are a bit too clouded:

AFC>NFC
NFC East is by far the toughest NFC division IMO
NFC North would normally > your division, but the Packers fell to pieces for multiple reasons this year. Remember last year you guys had a losing record and the NFC North sent two teasm to the playoffs. Moss does not define a division. (not even a team - look at the Raiders)

So that leaves just one division left. The NFC West, a truly terrible division. Which puts your division - one ahead of them. So yes=weak. Not "you officially no nothing about football" Learn to take factual criticism and recognise bias before you jump to conclusions. At least keep the argument rational. And IF you made a good arg re: The NFC North, it would still be "weak" division. As much as you might like to make the case for a strong division, your 2004 7-9 team of last year hasn't won any more games then last year=too early to talk about "byes". Teams of equal medicority doesn't make them strong, its makes them equally mediocre.

I stand by with the opinion that the Giants are better then the Panthers, certainly not "worse". The Giants are only 5 point underdogs going into Seattle this Sunday. Your Panthers are only 4 point favorites against the suck arse Buffalo Bills this week. What does that tell you about the quality of these teams?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Defense and using hot spots.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames