You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Russian Strelet Rush -- A Strategy for Newbies to use against Newbies
posted 12-04-05 09:36 AM EDT (US)   
This is a strategy I worked on during my newbie days (not that I'm any better now), and since I've switched over to the Dutch now I figured I'd share it with everyone. This strategy is pretty simple, and worked decently for me. It's mostly suited to 1v1s though, your economy is going to be quite messed up after this. Another good thing about this strat is that it only needs the base home city deck--you can do it at hc level 1.

I've included a build order of sorts, I know, adapting is important but I would've loved one of these in my newbie days

Discovery Age

As Russians, you start off with 5 Settlers and an Explorer. Send two settlers to shoot animals towards your Town Center, while the other settlers unpack the crates. As soon as you obtain 270 food, start training settlers at the Town Center.

[JPEG, (174.64 KB)]

Your other three settlers should have finished unpacking the crates by now. Have a Settler build a house, and send the others to join the settlers gathering food. Your explorer should be gathering treasures at this point.

Keep on training Settlers until you have 14. A home city shipment should arrive during this, send the 300 Food card. When it arrives, get three settlers to unpack the crates. You should have 800 food by now. Advance to Age 2 with the 2 Settlers politician. (The 500 Wood one is far superior, but I'm assuming low level HCs)

Once you've clicked the button to advance to Colonial Age, redistribute your villagers in this way: 4 on hunting and 10 on wood. During the transition, build a Blockhouse and another house. A home city shipment should arrive during this time, but save it for now. You'll see why later. Remember to first construct the Blockhouse, then the house. Your Explorer should start looking for the enemy's villagers. If done correctly, your blockhouse will be finished around the time you get to Colonial age.

[JPEG, (175.03 KB)]

Colonial Age

[JPEG, (166.79 KB)]

Once you get to Colonial Age, immediately queue up a squad of Strelets at your blockhouse. Now, use your home city shipment card and ship over 13 Strelets. Set your Blockhouse as the place where shipment arrives, and set the gathering point somewhere near the enemy. It's very important that you first queue the Strelets at your Blockhouse, then you send the shipment of 13 Strelets. You can go over the population limit by doing this. Keep your Explorer scouting for enemy villagers. (In this example game, I kinda forgot about the fact that I was doing a rush and went merrily collecting treasures. Don't make the same mistake as I did. ) Send your two villagers gained by aging to gather food. This distribution of villagers should be able to ensure you constant training of Strelets.

Wait for your 23 Strelets to gather up. Now is where the fun begins. Send your Strelets to where the enemy villagers are (It's alright if you didn't find any with your explorer, there should be plenty at the enemy's base) If you do hit him at his main base, remember to run your Strelets away if he garrisons his villagers. In fact, you've done a good job if you made him garrison--The villagers aren't collecting resources. Also remember to avoid Outposts. Losing a Strelet here or there is okay since they're cheap, but try to keep them alive by running away from TC or outpost fire. You should be able to kill any military units the enemy might have if your rush is quick enough.

[JPEG, (170.42 KB)]

Keep on constructing houses back at your own base. If you feel like you're winning the game, train more Strelets instead of villagers and send them to the enemy. Try not to let the enemy construct a Stable, as Hussars will decimate your Strelets. If they do get a Stable up or the enemy is German, train some Musketeers to mix in with your army to counter cavalry.

[JPEG, (170.60 KB)]

Due to your overwhelming number of Strelets you should be able to counter anything that comes out of the enemy Barracks. Hussars are the things to worry about. If you get another shipment during this, send the 4 Cossacks to help you in your raiding.

[JPEG, (169.50 KB)]

If everything worked out fine and you feel like you have the game in your hands, you should build an Artillery Foundry, send some villagers to gather gold and then train some Grenadiers to destroy buildings. Victory should be yours at this point.

[JPEG, (163.14 KB)]

Well, I was originally thinking of inserting a dramatic picture of Grenadiers blowing up the enemy Town Center, but the computer resigned at this point. Imagination, folks! Another thing one might notice from the screenshots is that I have idle villagers. Remember to always keep your villagers working!

As for the reason why I said newbie against newbie, well, as most experienced players know the strelet rush isn't too powerful against people who know how to counter it. Newbies in general are weaker against rushes, too, in addition that I personally think the Russians require a bit less micromanagement than other civs.

Any input will be appreciated. I'll try adding more stuff later.

Stuff for me to do:
-Get better screenshots, preferably against an human opponent
-Recorded game
-Add a things to remember section
-Size down those huge pictures
-Get someone with an English version of AoE3 to do the screenshots

Replies:
posted 12-04-05 10:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
lol, this did work on newbies, it almost worked on me many times when I first started playing. By now though most gamers online know how much strelets rushes suck, even newbies so I can't imagine it would be very successful now unless you luckly play against someone on his first game.

Once they see strelets the enemy will just put up a stable and its gg right there. Your strelets become useless.

[This message has been edited by Ceres629 (edited 12-04-2005 @ 10:00 AM).]

posted 12-04-05 11:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
Everybody knows now that Russians are much more effective at booming than rushing.

Nice graphics btw

;zlskehrt;oaweifalkdjfa;io3

[This message has been edited by raaman (edited 12-04-2005 @ 11:13 AM).]

posted 12-04-05 11:15 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Strelets are amazing. All you need is something to protect, them, I used Cossacks but I suppose the Ruskies get Pikes, they would be ideal.
posted 12-04-05 11:16 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Well I have fought off a 50 strelet rush with 10 x bows, and you might want to mix in some muskets right at the start.

[This message has been edited by raaman (edited 12-04-2005 @ 11:18 AM).]

posted 12-04-05 06:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Since one crossbow barely beat one strelet have had to be a lot better than you enemy with your microing raaman.

If your enemy see your strelets and want to counter them with hussars he will need to build a stable and then start training cavalry (he can get the shipment, but I usually don't have to much of a problem taking down a couple of hussars with some focused fire). All the russian will have to do is get some villagers on gold and get some musketeers to help those strelets. Strelets are like weaker and cheaper skrimishers, I find them very usefull.

posted 12-04-05 06:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
umm.. russia doesn't get hussars

posted 12-04-05 08:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
OR you could just use the 13 strelet card to make him think you're rushing and then boom.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
posted 12-05-05 05:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
I also play russians, and use a similar strategy. When aging to colonial I send 2 villies to mine gold so I can build a mix of musketeers and strelets.

Spending some resources on this usually works out ok, I either end up raiding his economy or fighting a small skirmish with his raiding force.

Only if the raid is very succesfull I turn in into a rush, otherwise I try to build some blockhouses around my base area, get some economic cards (I tend to play with farms to avoid getting my hunters raided) and build a lot of villies. I usually have 20 strelets at my base by then and they are perfect for buying some time so I can use the 3-4 blockhouses to turn out a lot of troops when I need them.

posted 12-05-05 05:40 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I've had the experience of shooting down the 3 Hussars shipment before with about thirty-something Strelets, but I can see that Hussars will be a big problem to Strelets. I've tried mixing in Musketeers early on before, but mostly I just keep the pressure on with more Strelets. Musketeers should be a nice addition, although I don't really know how to work it into this build since you're popped-out practically all the time.

@raaman: How did you do that? As far as I know pure Strelets do quite well against anything out of a Barracks without cavalry support. It'll probably be a micro-fest if you're trying to fight off 50 Strelets with only 10 Crossbowmen.

Heh, I actually remember how overjoyed I was when I first discovered that unit shipments allow you to go over the population limit. That's quite a pivotal point of this strat.

posted 12-05-05 07:18 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12  

Quote:

@raaman: How did you do that? As far as I know pure Strelets do quite well against anything out of a Barracks without cavalry support. It'll probably be a micro-fest if you're trying to fight off 50 Strelets with only 10 Crossbowmen.

The only way I can imagine this happening is if he danced the crossbows around his TC while his garrisoned and the xbows killed the strelets. Xbows are too slow to hit and run out in the open.

posted 12-05-05 09:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Exactly what ceres629 just said.

posted 12-05-05 10:27 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Why are you rushin with russian?

(lol, useless post, srry)

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » The Russian Strelet Rush -- A Strategy for Newbies to use against Newbies
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames